Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-11-WWF-Raw] The Sacrifice of Dennis Knight

Loss

• 2 months later...

The Undertaker gets such a pass. Why is he so respected within wrestling when he's had so much shit like this? Dennis Knight gets placed on the Undertaker's "symbol" and Undertaker sits on his throne while Paul Bearer sports a knife and a pre-taped Undertaker promo plays over the loud speaker. He starts speaking in tongues and uses the knife to draw blood from his own wrist which he pours into a cup before forcing Knight to drink it. He then rechristens him as Mideon and uses the knife to put a Satanic symbol on his chest, drawing blood and everything. Good Lord. Welcome to 1999 in all its glory. This is incredibly produced and definitely pushes the envelope, but I can't believe they got away with this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sooooo bad. Just awful, all-time-worst-shit stuff. They were doing enough stuff very, very right during this period that they could afford to get away with over wrought garbage like this but you're not going to convince me this Undertaker "sports entertainment"-to-the-nth-degree-and-beyond stuff was at all a net benefit for the product.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The WCW commentators always liked to mention Scott Norton's 60 inch chest. Well Dennis Knight's looked a good 80 inches here.

I actually enjoyed this in a Wrestlecrap kind of way. Vinny Ru had clearly been overindulging on horror movies lately. It was well produced and I always love when they go on about the Undertaker taking souls. Here the former hog farmer is sacrificed and reborn as Mideon. As he was being disrobed my mind couldn't help but drift towards his next gimmick after this... Welcome to 1999 indeed.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awful, just awful. If someone came in when I was watching this, I would have a hard time explaining what I'm watching and I'll be embarrassed to call myself a wrestling fan. I was enjoying this episode up until this point even with the complete lack of workrate and commonplace sexism and homophobia you can expect to see in an Attitude Era WWF show.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1999-01-11-WWF-Raw] The Sacrifice of Dennis Knight