Pro Wrestling Only

The Bix WhatCulture Thread

Bix

A few weeks ago, I left Bleacher Report to become WhatCulture's U.S. Editor. And I should really be linking my stuff here.

This is my latest, which I'm sure people here will find interesting: 7 Incredibly Messed Up Allegations From WCW’s Racial Discrimination Lawsuits.

Sort of companion piece here: 10 WCW Wrestlers Who Were Ridiculously Overpaid.

More to come along these lines, including a some more from the discrimination lawsuits and then, while I don't want to promise anything, I'm hoping that next, we'll get stuff from the Jesse Ventura videotape royalties suit against WWE and their licensees. I can't say enough about how happy I am that WhatCulture wants this type of content and will do what it takes to help me get a hold of the source material I need.

Other fun stuff so far:

10 Hilarious Talk Show Appearances By WWE Stars

10 WWE Stars You Never Knew Were Announcers

I have read the two WCW pieces - fun reads.

Swoll is not the same Randy Thornton as the guy that wrestled in New Japan. He was literally just Master P's bodyguard.

Well, that's disappointing. I really wanted to see Swoll vs. Hashimoto.

I'm right now reading the "10 WWE Stars You Never Knew Were Announcers" article. It's taking me ages because I'm watching all the clips. I usually hate this type of stuff because like most people here I'm a supergeek and I know all of them were announcers. However, I really had no idea about most of these. I recommend anybody here to read it.

Miss Elizabeth hosting Wrestling Spotlight with Vince was actually much better than I could have ever imagined. She did very well, was insightful (in a WWF 80s way) and played well back and forth with Vince all while looking as pretty and charming as ever.

Le Studio is kind of fun, Frenchy has got a raspy Boricua accent.

I enjoyed the 10 Wrestlers Who Were Ridiculously Overpaid article. I was already aware of the likes of Swole and Booker and how much they were making, but what Dustin, Ernest Miller and MI Smooth got was all new to me. Dustin especially got a very sweet deal.

Really enjoying these.

But just heads-up: there's some kind of formatting issue with the Boss Man/Akeem section of your talk show piece:

As you can see, it cuts off mid-sentence and then turns into a giant link. Just letting you know.

Really great stuff here.

Edit: The Savage talk show bit on the next page has the same issue.

Just finished reading your piece on the WCW lawsuits. The WWE Hall Of Famer that is mentioned on the last page, did your source withhold the name or is it you witholding the name?

The names are all listed in the statements of material facts from the lawsuit. But for the specific piece I decided I was best off holding them back, partially because I thought it read better in the context of the complaint that the racism was so pervasive in WCW. More faceless etc.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the documents. I can understand wanting to write a piece and not include names for the reason you cited, which is fine. What I don't understand is why you or anyone else would withold any names outside the article? Surely Michael Hayes isn't the only known racist working in WWE? Kevin Dunn can't be the only misogynist? It just seems that in pro wrestling (and this is outside of you and your article) that there is a lot of protection for people who really should be no where near the business deciding the fate of people her/she hates.

Bix, I enjoyed the announcers article. I love finding out little pieces of trivia like this and some of these really surprised me. A lot of strange stuff popped up on those third tier shows.

Speaking of strange, does anybody remember Gorilla Monsoon doing Superstars commentary as late as 1999? The international Superstars was Shotgun matches taped with new commentary and he was on a lot of them. I'm not sure when he stopped seeing as how he passed away that year, but it's downright bizarre hearing Gorilla talking about Mr. McMahon training for the Royal Rumble.

Bix, I enjoyed the announcers article. I love finding out little pieces of trivia like this and some of these really surprised me. A lot of strange stuff popped up on those third tier shows.

Speaking of strange, does anybody remember Gorilla Monsoon doing Superstars commentary as late as 1999? The international Superstars was Shotgun matches taped with new commentary and he was on a lot of them. I'm not sure when he stopped seeing as how he passed away that year, but it's downright bizarre hearing Gorilla talking about Mr. McMahon training for the Royal Rumble.

There used to be some matches from Canadian Superstars with Gorilla on YouTube and/or DailyMotion but I'm not sure if they're still online.

Monsoon and Lawler never worked together as announcers ever when Monsoon was being phased out of regular work, did they?

But I think maybe Solie and Lance Russell had some work together during Lance Russell's WCW stint where it seemed like most of the stuff I saw of his WCW work was with Michael Hayes (or Jimmy Garvin?) as partners on a B-Show.