Pro Wrestling Only

MS-1

Grimmas

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone provide some matches to seek out from the 90s? When I watched the Satanico/MS-1/Pirata Morgan vs Dandy, Octagon, Konnan match in the Satanico thread I was thinking how the match has two guys I don't like and 4 guys who will probably rank in my top 50. I really like MS-1 but he's the low man right now for me basically because I haven't seen anything from him post 1990. I could see him skyrocketing up my list with more footage.

Even with the limited '80s footage that exists, MS-1 probably has more '80s highlights than '90s highlights. His big 1990s matches:

MS-1/Masakre vs. Ringo Mendoza/Faraon (hair)

Infernales vs. Brazos (title, the 11/29/91 match is the big one)

MS-1 vs. Faraon (hair)

MS-1 vs. Cien Caras (hair)

Random '90s MS-1 that I liked:

MS-1/Pierroth Jr./Ulises vs. Dandy/Mogur/Popitekus

MS-1/Masakre/Ringo Mendoza vs. Dandy/Satanico/Javier Cruz

MS-1/Masakre/Ringo Mendoza vs. Rayo de Jalisco Jr./Cien Caras/Mascara Año 2000 (both of the last two matches were part of this brief trios tournament; the title says 1989, but I think it took place in July 1990)

Infernales vs. Atlantis/Dos Caras/Konnan (I remember this one being good until it fell off the rails in the third fall)

There's also a trios match that has the team of MS-1, El Dandy, and Astro de Oro on one side, and MS-1 just spends the whole match tormenting Dandy, but I don't remember if that was from 1989 or 1990.

Awesome, thanks Gregor! I'm looking forward to those Hair matches against Caras and Faraon.

I have an Infernales vs Brazos match on my giant list of Satanico matches that youtube says is 11/22/91

I'm hoping maybe the date is wrong and it's actually the 11/29 match you mentioned. Any idea or is there another match from 11/22?

Whoops, no, I just messed up the date. 11/22 is the correct date for that one, and, yes, that's the one I was thinking of. There are other Infernales/Brazos matches from that period, though, if you really enjoy the big one.

Edit: I screwed up the Infernales/Dos Caras/Atlantis/Konnan match, too. That one starts to come apart in the second fall.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

He's a guy I'm looking at more before the deadline, if only because I've had trouble gauging in the past how much I actually like him. In stuff like the big Chicana matches he looks like the Second Coming. Then in certain random 90s trios he's badly telegraphing spots. At times it seemed like his height worked against him as he has to work down to smaller guys and ends up looking awkward in the process. Just re-watched the hair match with Faroan (another guy I'm trying to figure out at the moment) and it was good and spirited, but there was something about both guys that felt past their prime in that one, as if you were watching two old stuntmen kill themselves on their last hurrah.

Like, I would never vote for any of the original batch of Los Oficiales or Freelance from 2008-ish IWRG on this list, but at times I have as much fondness for them as I do for the 12th best guy in 1990 EMLL.

He's making my list for sure. I think the Sangre 83 match is the best match ever and it would feel weird to leave him off based almost solely on that criteria. He looks great as a member of the Infernales in in the 80s in trios matches. He has a few tag and trios matches against a tecnico Satanico in 89-90 and it is fucking awesome and you're just dying for them to have a singles hair match that never actually happens.

Looking at his apuestas match list, has anyone seen MS-1 vs Pirata Morgan from 3/15/91

• 5 years later...

I ranked MS-1 49th in 2016 and I fucking blew it with that one. MS-1 is a top 25 candidate for me and I hope I can find space for him there. At his peak he is a perfect pro-wrestler. Lack of footage and longevity hurts him but there's no way I've seen 48 wrestlers better than MS-1. 

• 8 months later...

There is also a fancam of this match that I believe I still have (September 1983): CIEN CARAS, MÁSCARA AÑO 2000 Y CÉSAR CURIEL VS. COLOSO COLOSETTI, ENFERMERO JR. (JAQUE MATE) Y MS-1

But I'm not sure it's going to sway any votes.

• 1 year later...

In the most famous version of the Infernales it basically broke down like this. You had Satanico, a man who considered himself not just the team's number one but the promotion's number one, with a title around his waist more often than not and innumerable hair match victories, the complete package. You had Pirata Morgan, the best wrestler in the world, who would dig deeper than anyone else to win a match, and who could go out and form his own team that required all members to wrestle with the same handicap that he did. And then you had MS-1, who comparatively speaking was just a dick. MS-1 had no designs on leaving anyone thinking him the number one wrestler in the world or even the team. Instead he was content to beat guys up three on one, laugh about it and rack up the spoils that came with all that. He didn't let his career define him the way that Satanico and Pirata did, I don't think. You think either of those guys would dress up as a giant alien? Or be willing to sport an apuestas match record that would make even Kato Kung Lee turn up his nose?

Naturally this makes MS-1 my favorite of the Infernales. As far as making him the greatest wrestler of all time, though, it left me thinking he could perhaps have used a little more vanity. In the 1980s he brought it almost every time out, flying all over for whatever tecnico needed it, in good matches and boring ones. MS-1 vs Sangre Chicana from '83 actually has some visibility outside of lucha circles, a pretty remarkable achievement. They also have a rematch the next year that isn't half as memorable. And even the week after the famous match, when MS-1's boys fought Chicana's, MS-1 happily took a backseat to Satanico in a match that you'd expect would be his quest for revenge. He could still have been a cinch as a top worker had he aged better. Would you believe that he and Emilio Charles were born in the same year? His 1990s work is still solid, but there's no spark to his big apuestas matches with Pirata Morgan or Faraon, to name two. It wasn't that he didn't care or didn't try by then. Rather, he approached his craft in a way befitting of a carpenter by trade who happened to wind up in wrestling, doing the work that was needed, but not really intending for people to look at it as a reflection of his own greatness. Sometimes he was so good that it just couldn't be helped, though.

Random MS-1:
MS-1, Talisman and Terror Chicano vs Cachorro Mendoza, Atlantis and Samurai Shiro (I have never seen a better spinkick than Cachorro's on MS-1 here)
MS-1 and Masakre vs Dandy and Satanico
MS-1, Masakre and Satanico vs Lizmark, Konnan, and Vampiro (not a good match at all, but look at how good him vs Konnan is on the mat)