Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-07-18-ECW-Heatwave] Dudley Boys vs Spike Dudley & Balls Mahoney

Loss

• 1 month later...

The Dudleys and Gertner cut a long promo before the match that's so tasteless and crass that I don't even know where to begin. If that's what it takes to get heat with these people, come on! Thankfully, they follow it with another good match in this series, though nowhere as good as the TV match. They go all through the crowd again and bleed and up the violent quotient. Balls and Spike win the tag titles in a surprise result. Joey Styles is an idiot and completely telegraphed the finish. Sign Guy throws a couple of tables in the ring and I was waiting the whole match for this - another flaming table spot. You'd think there would be some retribution spot with the Dudleys finally going through flaming tables themselves, but it wasn't to be - Spike goes through one again and they mess up on putting Balls through the table. New Jack shows up and goes after both Dudleys. Well, I guess someone is somehow getting some revenge on them for a change.

• 2 months later...

Man that opening promo was tasteless and over the top but I don't care, I loved it. In a wrestling landscape where WWE is so micomanaged and sanitized and so many of the smaller promotions have no real character, seeing something this over the top and intense was great. Loved Bubba grabbing another fan's beer and throwing it in the face of the guy he was jawing with. The TV match definitely wasn't as good as the first but it was really fun overall. Everything was great up to the crowd brawling where they kind of lost me, went too long in lighting where you could barely make out what was going on -- on my pretty low quality TV at least. Took me out of it a little but I was back into it by the ending, which I really liked as a spot. You get the babyfaces triumphant and a huge pop, followed by a Dudley beat down followed by New Jack's return to take them out with a really into it crowd. I really loved this whole segment. You can criticize ECW for a million things all day long but you watch something like this and can understand how it had really dedicated fans. This doesn't feel like something that would happen anywhere else and all this must have been really exciting to see live.

• 3 months later...

That opening promo was classic Dudleys. Only a guy like Bubba could make it work. Sure it's tasteless but that's ECW for you. I find something like Jamie Dundee's racist promos on Danny B to be much worse. As for the match, I gotta agree with EL-P, these matches do nothing for me. Only so many times I can stand seeing Balls bleeds and Spike take nutty bumps. Plus Dudleys hardly take what they deliver. That botched powerbomb by Bubba to Balls is sick locking. He lands right on his neck.

• 5 months later...

What a scathing promo. Can't wait to hear STeven get to this when the Super Extreme Vault gets there.

The match was a load of fun as this is turning into my favorite garbage feud. I still have some issues at times with Dudley's not showing ass enough and that was really scary to Balls on the botch. OVerall, enjoyable stuff. ***1/4

• 1 year later...

I wasnt crazy about the term "faggot" being thrown about. However, the whole tirade did get real heat. The first time I saw this, a few months after it happened, I was sure a riot was going to break out. The security team deserves some kudos here. Also, first time I seen this, I thought it was obvious Balls was going through the flaming table again. He was wearing sleeves and soaking wet. I knew something was up. I was, and still am, a big Little Spike Dudley fan. I was so pissed off that stupid Nova got an ECW figure while Spike did not.

• 6 months later...

I'm going to say the worst thing possible about this segment: this was SO BORING. The Dudleys' long yammering promo was boring and comes off like the South Park kids who've just learned new swear words from the Terrance & Philip movie. Gertner's intro was clever, but killed by his slow delivery. The match is boring. The brawl is boring. The use of the cheese grater is boring. The near-falls are boring. The finish is well-done and the right booking move. The post-match beatdown is boring and predictable as all hell and partially blown at that. The Dudleys get all their heat back, what a shock. New Jack shows up long after the barn door is closed and the horses have left. Cyrus is a godawful heel color man who offers nothing in the way of insight--nothing more than Terry Garvin with a better voice. There was almost nothing redeeming or entertaining about this.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-07-18-ECW-Heatwave] Dudley Boys vs Spike Dudley & Balls Mahoney
  • 1 year later...

I was at this show, and based on my memories of my fellow audience members, when Bubba called the crowd "lower-class white trash pieces of garbage" he was largely correct. :) We had a great time, but like the rest of ECW during the yearbooks, it's an understatement to say this hasn't aged well.

On a side note, I noticed that Bubba and D-Von are wearing University of North Carolina hats that just say "Heels" on them (their full nickname is "Tar Heels" of course), which is only a couple shades less subtle than the Lenny & Lodi stuff on this disc.

9 hours ago, ...TG said:

I was at this show, and based on my memories of my fellow audience members, when Bubba called the crowd "lower-class white trash pieces of garbage" he was largely correct. :) We had a great time, but like the rest of ECW during the yearbooks, it's an understatement to say this hasn't aged well.

On a side note, I noticed that Bubba and D-Von are wearing University of North Carolina hats that just say "Heels" on them (their full nickname is "Tar Heels" of course), which is only a couple shades less subtle than the Lenny & Lodi stuff on this disc.

Nice, I was there too. I actually pop up on camera during this match as Spike and D-Von walk towards the balcony spot, wearing a red NC hat nonetheless. Goes without saying, but '98 was a way better show yet both events were somehow equally fun.