Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: Fixing the WWE PPV Schedule

soup23

Will is joined by his Wrestling With the Past co-host Charles and David Bixenspan to examine the WWE PPV schedule. We take a look at all of the PPVs currently promoted by WWE and how it affects the booking and our enjoyment. We look at past PPV concepts like King of the Ring or WarGames and new ideas we’d like to see. We determine what PPVs should go and which ones must stay. Hell, we even talk a little about Wrestlemania. ​

http://placetobenation.com/good-will-wrestling-fixing-the-wwe-ppv-schedule/

Enjoyed this show guys. My unsolicited opinion:

Royal Rumble - Agree that it's in a good spot where it is. I've been watching all of the rumble matches recently (in the hopes of maybe posting a review of them sometime in the near future) and one thing that I'm not a fan of anymore is the winner getting the WrestleMania title shot. It really limits your options and makes things predictable in match where the premise is built on unpredictability. However, the winner should get something worthy of winning such a match. I think it would be better if the prize for winning the Rumble is the MITB contract title shot. It just make sense to me that it should be the prize. As for the WrestleMania World title challenger...

Elimination Chamber - This is where you have the WrestleMania title shot up for grabs. You have the chamber match among your most credible challengers, and it opens up the possibility of establishing future opponents for the World champion post WrestleMania. Plus, the Elimination Chamber is one of the few gimmick matches that would benefit from being at set time or event. It doesn't lend itself for feuds, but it does lend itself for deciding something (such as a title challenger).

WrestleMania - Whatever issues one may have regarding the booking philosophy for the event and the use of special attractions, no complaints about this one in terms of where it is.

Extreme Rules - In recent years it has been a lazy crutch where they run WrestleMania rematches with stipulations. I guess it depends on your viewpoint of how much should start anew after WrestleMania and how much should continue. One thing though...

Payback - Wouldn't a special event named Payback make more sense as the post WrestleMania return match card? And then you lead into the gimmick matches at Extreme Rules, since you still tend to get relatively fresh matches at WrestleMania. I'd flip Payback and Extreme Rules on the calendar.

Money in the Bank - I'm with you guys,, I'm over the MITB ladder match. In the end it's a multi person ladder match. I honestly prefer putting the MITB shot as the Rumble prize. It puts the case looming in the background all year. And they definitely should do it more like RVD did, use it to say that you want the champion at this time. The cash in when a guy's vulnerable ends up hurting the winner more than it helps in terms of credibility (especially with WWE's notoriously weak follow up booking). I'd actually prefer bringing back KOTR, which can help establish someone for SummerSlam if one chooses to go that route.

Battleground - No set opinion, although with a name like that the event just screams for War Games.

SummerSlam - Agree that getting out of LA should help and they should consider the possibility of domes. Other than that, it's fine as it is.

Night of Champions - I like the idea of adding that legends/Slamboree type element. I think that the focus should be that this is the event where special challenges are made by former title holders and you get to see some interesting matchups. Only former World champions are eligible to challenge the world champion, former I-C champs challenge for the I-C title, etc. You may be able to set up some interesting one night only matches like this.

Hell in a Cell - Absolutely agree that this should be Halloween themed and there is ample opportunity to have fun with costumes. Hey, your audience is kids, this is a good opportunity for some fun things. As for the match itself, 100% agree that this is not a match that should be set for an event, this is something for feuds that should be used when appropriate.

Survivor Series - They should definitely work on the survivor series match aspect more. This is my favorite PPV concept from a nostalgia standpoint and I wish they would do the team elimination matches more.

TLC - I'd keep the different matches but change the name if the event. And I would make it a Spin the wheel deal to determine the match stipulation. Hey, it's the holidays, the season for presents. You can tie in the surprise element of the stipulations with the idea of it being like a surprise present on Christmas morning.

As for other themes, I'm a big a fan of the Lethal Lottery concept and would think it could work as an event. It would at least provide a different dynamic, which should be the focus or these events.

All in all, an enjoyable show.

I think the Rumble is better than the EC for setting up the Mania title contender as it allows guys to lose without really losing. One problem with the EC is how it interferes with booking the lead up to Mania since you have to have 5 top guys get beat.

I think the scheduled gimmick PPVs are awful for booking, I'd honestly even say get rid of the Rumble were it not such a tradition and a draw in its own right (although is it really the Rumble match that's the draw or just the understanding that it's one of the year's major shows and the beginning of Mania season?). I'm curious what value you guys think establishing traditions like this has.

Originally posted by Metsfan on Reddit - who normally I trust as far as I can throw but other people are saying it is true:

Word going around backstage this past Tuesday at the SmackDown tapings are that the WWE Elimination Chamber pay-per-view willbe no more.

The early lead names going around to replace the Elimination Chamber name will be either WWE Fast Lane or WWE Fast Track.

Did WWE listen to the podcast?

Originally posted by Metsfan on Reddit - who normally I trust as far as I can throw but other people are saying it is true:

Word going around backstage this past Tuesday at the SmackDown tapings are that the WWE Elimination Chamber pay-per-view willbe no more.

The early lead names going around to replace the Elimination Chamber name will be either WWE Fast Lane or WWE Fast Track.

Did WWE listen to the podcast?

Those sound like WWE games for your cell phone. I'll be glad if they drop EC as a set PPV but droping HIAC would be better.

I'll be glad if they drop EC as a set PPV but droping HIAC would be better.

In light of Mick Foley's promo on Raw this week the HIAC seems even more like a relic from 1998.

However I do expect some crazy spots from Rollins and Ambrose tomorrow. But obviously more crazy creative rather than crazy violent.