Pro Wrestling Only

Brad Armstrong

Grimmas

Brad Armstrong always reminded me of Bret Hart in terms of his movements in the ring, his mechanics, et. To that extent I suspect had he been given the ball the way Bret was he would have had a very Bret-like career in some respects. But he wasn't and I can't say I see him as a strong t.v. wrestler like Joe does. Where are the matches? Yes he had many solid bouts, but I watched ton of WCW t.v. for the SmarksChoice WCW poll years ago, and Brad came up short there. His best match was a bout v. Vader from Worldwide (or maybe it was Pro) in 94 that went about four minutes. After that I don't even know what it would be. I watched all the SMW that exists and he was not a standout there either. Good, solid hand, but so were Barry Horowitz and Tim Horner and neither of them are on the radar

There is a thread here that talks about things wrestlers value that fans don't. I think Armstrong might be a great hand that wrestlers appreciate but never quite connects with the fans... similar to Lance Storm.

I think Storm was light years ahead of connecting with fans than Armstrong. Both were generic seeming, technical good guys, but Storm at least had something that could make him standout, even if it was just knowning how to make his deficiancies an amusing part of his presentation. Armstrong was always just......there.

In the ring, I can't think of anything Armstrong did badly, and much like Dylan above, I think if he had been given different opportunities (or perhaps manufactured some opportunities) his career may have gone a good bit differently. Then again, maybe not.

Either way, not likely to be on my list.

There's a really cool Badstreet/Pillman from 1991 (I think 91, anyway).

Armstrong left a bad taste in my mouth when I saw him finally get a chance at a longer, fuller (tag) match in NJ on the 92 yearbook and no sold a bunch of leg work.

I assume the Pillman vs. Badstreet match referenced is the Clash 16, it is a fine match and won MOTN for me on that throwaway show but I have it ranked around **3/4 or so and don't think it was anything extraordinarily special. They did maximize their time wisely but there has been a ton of tv matches from the past 3-4 years in WWE that I would have above that match.

I liked Brad as a kid, because I thought recognizing his ability made me a better wrestling fan than my friends who were into the more cartoony shit. I remember reading about a long match he had with Flair in one of the Apter mags and wishing I could see it. But I don't believe he was underpushed. He was just a solid guy who struggled to set himself apart from the large pack of other solid guys. As others have said, there are probably 100s of wrestlers throughout history who fit the same description.

I think Armstrong was a hell of a lot better than most of you guys do, but I don't think he was underpushed. I think he was pretty much born to play the role that he did. He was pretty much the perfect guy to put over heels on the way up, and to have good little TV matches on B-shows with other midcard workhorse types.

After my 90's watch I came to the conclusion that Brad was overrated in the sense he's been declared underrated all his career. He was perfectly fine where he was, and was the definition of "a good hand". Scott was the best promo but not so good in the ring. Steve was decent but easily worse than Brad. Road Dog had the best mix of all brothers, plus the size, it's no wonder he's the one who had the most success. All in all, the infamous "great" Armstrong brothers were a little bit overrated overall if you ask me. And Bullet Bob was the best promo guy of the family too.

Butterface Tim Horner was better (although with a lot less charisma, hell no charisma at all), and Barry Horowitz was more interesting when he was given something to do. The Candido feud is more fun than pretty much any Brad Armstrong stuff.

Will, Kris and I just watched an awesome five minute Armstrong v. Tommy Rich brawl, although that was 90% Tommy Rich. I am not a Road Dogg fan, but I like Scott and Steve more then Brad.

Now that you say that, I think I might like Scott the best out of all the Armstrongs. (Well of the sons, Bob is obviously #1)

• 4 weeks later...

If someone else nominated Barry I would talk him up. I actually think I'd vote for Horowitz over Brad

I watched a pile of GWF Barry matches on Youtube and my ardor has faded a bit. I could see why I was high on him in 1991: big offense. Probably as big a moveset as the notable Global tape-trader spot guys, though he can put a match together better than Jerry Lynn.

I really liked his tournament match against Eddie Gilbert. It's heel vs heel, and they work the conceit that Eddie is obviously better, but Barry has him on his heels and looks to be on the verge of pulling off the upset. Cute inversion of the way you'd work underdog face vs face champ.

Unfortunately when he's working dopes like Chaz the matches don't convey much of anything. Barry is just getting stuff in. It's difficult not to credit Gilbert for what made that match work.

Still ranking him ahead of Brad, though.