Pro Wrestling Only

Hell In A Cell - Live As It Happens

goodhelmet

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

* Not as down on this show as some. I thought it was an improvement from the last pay-per-view, but that was probably because the last one was pretty dull throughout, and had not a single match I'd find any reason to rewatch (including Cena/Brock and Sheamus/Cesaro).

* The match of the night, if not the main, was arguably the Bellas one. I really found that to be hard-hitting and, though obviously choreographed and planned out, was still really nicely executed. As actresses, the Bellas still have a long way to improve, but in-ring, Nikki Bella really turned a corner over the past few months, especially when it comes to PPV "big" matches. As I don't actively watch much RAW, I could care less if she (or really any diva) rehearses one match a month for PPV, wrestles that one match well, and then stinks up the joint 29 other nights out of 30. That seems like what we got here and it was an engaging, believable, physical 8-10 minutes.

* I would've loved Rollins/Ambrose a ton more without the first table spot. It just wasn't the right way to start the match. When the actual match began, I thought we got to see loads of nice spots and intensity. Had that match started in the cage, gone through the same motions, and then maybe had an additional 10 minutes of back-and-forth, I think I wouldn't have minded the Wyatt run-in so much. It still would've been anti-climactic, but at least it would've felt like Wyatt had put an end to an epic battle where no man was going to come out alive. The way it came off, it just wasn't a MOTY candidate. I'd still probably say it was the best and most exciting bout of the evening, but much of that has to do with my personal interest and the crowd's interest in these three characters.

* Ziggler/Cesaro was decent, but I don't get the "sweep" ending. I think the time I've spent on this forum has also begun to make me rethink just how great I thought Ziggler was over the past 4-5 years. I still think he is incredibly skilled, but some road agent needs to help him iron out the overselling and help him generate some more impressive hope spots.

* Rusev/Show was pretty damn good. Not as great as Bossman/Vader or anything, but when's the last time you saw Big Show bust out as good a submission hold as he did here? Also, loved how Rusev looked dominant, but that it also made sense as he, from the very start, obviously had a strategy (get Show on the mat by attacking the legs) and then relied on that strategy the whole time. THAT is how wrestling maneuvers can be sequenced logically to make it completely conceivable that a 7'0 300 pound guy will lose to a considerably smaller opponent. Also, Rusev suplexed the motherfucker and I didn't expect that at all.

Overall, not a 5-star classic, but I don't know if there was a single DUD on the show, which I think keeps it at average or above. I found the tag match to be the lowpoint of the show, but others have called it one of the highs. To each their own, but unless you really needed that last 5 minutes to be spectactular, I'm not sure if the other 2 hours and 50 minutes were bad enough to warrant anything more hateful than a "meh, it was okay." The chief complaint is the repetitiveness of the programs, which is totally valid, but my recommendation is, skip RAWs and SDs like I do and you'll be less tired of some of these performers.

I think evilclown would have been better off to start by explaining his points about expectations and WWE rather than trolling everyone first. Because he does have a pretty good point. In 2014 the amount of wrestling, past & present that you could find is astounding. If you are a serious wrestling fan, enough to be on this board, you can fairly easily find SOMETHING that would fit your tastes to focus on rather than making current WWE your #1 focus and expecting them to conform to what you want.

I follow WWE on a very casual basis because the guys I like don't get used worth a damn and they barely even tell stories anymore. So I watch a lot of Southeastern/Continental with some Memphis & lucha mixed in. There's no reason to be a disgruntled, unhappy wrestling fan any more. It's not 1994 where the only way to watch something else is spend a stupid amount of money on VHS tapes.

And the worst thing you can do is fantasy book WWE because it's never going to be what you would book so you'll always be disappointed. Sometimes I wonder if THAT'S the definitive split between a "hardcore and casual" wrestling fan. The "they should do this" urge to fantasy book rather than just wondering what will happen next.

Why can't we watch the other wrestling AND WWE? I watch wrestling from all over the world but WWE will always be the top dog. How many wrestling fans skip Wrestlemania? I've been watching WWF since 1987, I'm not going to give it up cold turkey because the writing is bad. There's still a ton of good matches each year.

I watch ROH, NJPW and the occasional other Indy but I still watch RAW sometimes & WWE PPVs. That's one of the perks of the WWE Network, so I'm going to take advantage of it. If I'm not a fan of something I see, I'll talk about it afterward. Just the same as if I like what I saw (like RAW last night).

If I watch an old show from like 1989 or a random Indy show from a month ago, who am I going to talk about it with? Cause everyone (not literally everyone but most wrestling fans) watch RAW so there's always people to chat with about that. Same for WWE PPVs. This thread is 18-pages long. If this were an ROH iPPV thread how big would it be?

I'm not saying that I don't follow WWE, I do. I just don't watch every week, I just wait to hear if something is worth watching. Or on the rare occasions that they are doing something I'm interested in, then I check out the shows just for those parts like Rusev or the Daniel Bryan stuff leading to Mania. But I definitely don't waste my time coming up with how to "fix" what's wrong. It's just pointless and makes the fan experience less enjoyable.

A lot of the enjoyment I get from wrestling nowadays is conversing about it with like minded individuals after the show. If I waited to hear about good stuff before watching it, I can never partake in the discussion post show & I'll always feel like I'm behind. I like reacting to things in the moment, even if I make hyperbolic statements in the heat of the moment or whatever. That's part of the fun for me. I don't want to watch clips a week later when I already know what happens. That's not fun to me at all.

I re-watched the Bellas match yesterday and it was as bad as I thought.

The pros? They were stiff as hell. Which was cool.

The cons? Everything else. Neither of those ladies know how to look even remotely believable in their actions. Every time they move it's obvious that they are saying "Now it's time to perform this spot.". Every sound they make its obvious they're saying "Now it's time to make a sound and be mad". I've never seen anyone so bad at something that gets paid to do it.

And man, I'm bitching a ton, but I was in another room as someone else was watching the rest of the show yesterday, and Lawler is beyond awful. Not being distracted by the action and just hearing the announcers really puts how bad he is in perspective.

Name names. Who are these people who will never be happy?

Nah. There's no need. I didn't intend a grave insult and don't welcome some internet blood feud.

Besides, complaining about wrestling is almost part of being a hardcore wrestling fan at this point. Could you even produce a wrestling show that wouldn't lead to various degrees of outrage from the internet? I'm skeptical.

I'll just see myself out. Was an ill-advised post for this group. I'll make my case to a broader subsection of fans later this week. Apologies again if I offended you.

All the casual fans I know disliked the show, mainly because they hated the ending so much. Interesting.