Hell In A Cell - Live As It Happens

goodhelmet

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain how the show was "self-evidently awesome"

They booked a screwjob finish in the main event. Ambrose doesn't get his revenge, which is what everyone wanted to see.

No matter how good Cena Orton was, it was a match no one wanted to see. This is their second Hell in a Cell!

Paige v. AJ Part 2000 happened

Sheamus v. Miz was a comedy match

I liked Show v. Rusev, so hey!

Ziggler v. Cesaro was Cesaro jobbing to a secondary title, which he has seemingly done at every show since Mania.

The Bellas continued their feud.

It depends on what someone thinks is good in pro wrestling. If you like forced reincarnations of Mick Foley falling off a cage, that's fine. That's not my thing. Pro wrestling isn't objective. Nothing is objectively good about an entertainment show.

And yes, please tell us what you enjoyed about the show. Why did you like it? Why did you think it was a good show instead of a bad show?

Two things seem clear here:

1. This thread is getting dangerously close to the people who hate-watch WWE programming over on the WON board just to get aggravated over and over when they know they won't like the show.

2. A lot of folks have never met evilclown before.

1. This thread is getting dangerously close to the people who hate-watch WWE programming over on the WON board just to get aggravated over and over when they know they won't like the show.

Who is he? All I know is he really liked HIAC and writes for some big site.

Don't forget point of clarity No. 3: Your post added absolutely fucking nothing to the conversation.

This thread is getting dangerously close to the people who hate-watch WWE programming over on the WON board just to get aggravated over and over when they know they won't like the show.

I always assumed getting the opportunity to bitch online is half the fun of being a WWE fan.

Please explain how the show was "self-evidently awesome"

It was a fun pro wrestling show. If you didn't like it there's something wrong with YOU not with WWE. Maybe you are no longer a fan of pro wrestling as practiced in America for decades? Who can say?

They booked a screwjob finish in the main event. Ambrose doesn't get his revenge, which is what everyone wanted to see.

Booking what everyone wants to see is a good way to go out of business. I agree, however, that the finish here sparked enormous controversy. Whether it was good or bad will be best determined in six months. I remember the complaints about Daniel Bryan, but that ended as one of the very best stories in WWE history.

No matter how good Cena Orton was, it was a match no one wanted to see. This is their second Hell in a Cell!

No one? Or you? Was an interesting enough match with some clever back-and-forth and counters I haven't seen. Pleasantly surprised.

Paige v. AJ Part 2000 happened

This match was okay. I remain unimpressed with Paige.

Sheamus v. Miz was a comedy match

It was a comedy match. And it was funny! So...score!

I liked Show v. Rusev, so hey!

Yeah!

Ziggler v. Cesaro was Cesaro jobbing to a secondary title, which he has seemingly done at every show since Mania.

I thought the second fall of this match was outstanding. Cesaro "jobbing" doesn't really concern me. It's not worth worrying about. His time will come.

The Bellas continued their feud.

In an excellent match to the surprise of all. These two beat the hell out of each other in a stiff and fairly crisply executed wrestling match. Zoinks! That's a good thing right?

It's okay to like that show. I didn't. I don't see what's so offensive about disliking this show.

Exactly. I didn't care for the show either. This show isn't a show that you would put up on the Wrestlemania 17, Superbrawl 2,GAB 89, or Spring Stampede 94 where you're shocked people didn't like. This is a card that had some hits, some misses, and a lot of in between.

It's okay to like that show. I didn't. I don't see what's so offensive about disliking this show.

Exactly. I didn't care for the show either. This show isn't a show that you would put up on the Wrestlemania 17, Superbrawl 2,GAB 89, or Spring Stampede 94 where you're shocked people didn't like. This is a card that had some hits, some misses, and a lot of in between.

I guess if your worldview involves comparing every show to the very best shows ever you will be consistently disappointed.

You came in here with a chip on your shoulder on how you can't believe some people here didn't care for the show. I said it doesn't compare to some of the greatest shows ever because you're making an extreme argument on a handful of guys not liking the show. So my examples were just as extreme.

Since clown has taken to overt trolling here, I'll return fire by noting he's basically paid to shill for the WWE on the regular. This is what access buys you.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting, but I've certainly never been paid by WWE for writing about them.

I have also never had anyone from WWE ever ask me to tone down my reviews of their shows. Maybe that's because I generally like them so much! Who can say? But they certainly have never censored me in this manneer, even when I have been very critical.

Booking what everyone wants to see is a good way to go out of business.

So, this happened....

What kind of storyteller wants to give someone exactly what they expect? Consumers don't know what they want. They only think they do.

Rock v. HHH Backlash 2000?

Terry Funk vs. Abdullah the Butcher 1978?

Booking what everyone wants to see is a good way to go out of business.

So, this happened....

What kind of storyteller wants to give someone exactly what they expect? Consumers don't know what they want. They only think they do.

I got what I expected to see. I wanted to see Ambrose win at MITB... and he didn't, because of a screwjob, one that has kind of been ignored in the larger story which has annoyed me since August. I then wanted to see Ambrose win at Battleground... he didn't, because they didn't even have a match. So then I wanted to see Ambrose win at SummerSlam... he didn't, and while it was kind of a cheap victory for Rollins, he didn't actually do anything that would have been illegal, which kind of made it a decisive result. He was kayfabe out for a month, a month that was really very dreary but the WWE didn't seem to mind his absence that much. He came back like a cannonball at NoC, which was great, and then slowly started to receive worse promo concepts that were designed to make Vince laugh, so good for the former billionaire. He's had about 2.5 meaningful wins on RAW since the Shield split up. I had no reason to believe that he would actually win; the fact that I had been told that an idea I found as monumentally stupid as a Wyatt feud today didn't help, but I didn't think that he was going to win yesterday, either. I sincerely now have no reason to care about the Ambrose-Rollins feud.

I didn't see the show, so take that into account, but booking matters!

- Cesaro/Ziggler ending in two straight falls sounds monumentally disappointing. The match might have been great - I don't know - but I would've been pissed with the way it was booked.

- Cena vs. Orton for the 1000th time, no matter how good or bad, is not what anyone wants anymore. But at least it wasn't the main event.

- The main event ending in a "fuck finish" (as someone here called it) is absolutely terrible. It's one of the hottest feuds of the year, and instead of being concluded properly, all it did was set up another feud? Ugh. Unless the plan is for Ambrose, Rollins, and Reigns to headline WM (one can hope), this made very little sense to me.

Booking matters. Endings matter. The little things matter.