Pro Wrestling Only

<Split> NJPW World - their version of the WWE Network

Sean Liska

No big deal, just using my NJPW World subsription to watch the Tenryu/Ishikawa/Kitahara vs Koshinaka/Kimura/Aoyagi match from the 11/92 Sumo Hall show. My god, the crowd heat back in the day was amazing.

This service is unbelievable! They have 67 episodes of NJPW Classics on demand! Every 1/4 show! Tons of random matches from the last 40 years. Tons of live shows going forward. And it's 8 bucks a month!

For those of us that remember driving to Japanese supermarkets so we could pick up a month of AJPW product condensed into four 22 minute episodes, this is really cool. Wait, I've moved onto Inoki/Hansen from 1980.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame everything is organised as individual matches rather than entire shows. How much stuff is on there, approximately?

Click the wrestling ring icon next to "LIVE" to sort by event. It goes all the way back to 1973, with many of the shows being complete. When you click a show, each match can then be clicked individually.

Ability to sort by venue is so cool!

It will probably be like WWE Network where people buying it for the archives will get bored and we're mainly going to use it for the new stuff. But to go from them losing UStream to us having easier access than ever to all of these live shows, man, good times.

Exactly, the old footage is great for nerd types like us, but the live events will drive this, just like the Network.

The big difference is that where the Network gives one one PPV per month, this gives you the PPV, every Korakuen show, and also the major tour stops from the bigger buildings.

Check out the live schedule: http://njpwworld.com/schedule-1412-1501

It couldn't be any easier to navigate. Just right click to translate, and its basically an English language website. You can sort by year, wrestler, venue, match type, or even color commentator.

Where are you right-clicking to translate?

I'm using Chrome, so anywhere on the page brings up the option.

I know this is going to sound culturally ignorant but the idea that I need to look on twitter to find a English translation of the sign up page in order to get the monthly subscription is just too much right now. I don't want everything to be English (would rather have the footage in Japanese).

That being said this is an incredible thing that I would love to see just for the classics stuff.

I'm going to do my best to gather a list of matches that were not previously available (be it in full or at all) and post them here. My specific focus will be the 1990s, but if anyone else wants to take on other time periods who has a good grasp on what New Japan has or has not released before, we can work together to compile a comprehensive list.

Apparently there was a Masato Tanaka vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi match from 7/22/12 that never made it over though Lynch has it on his Japan TV list so even if it was clipped (which it most likely was), it still made its way over. Will have to go through the site after work to see if anything else stands out

I browsed through a little this morning and it looks cool.

Chrome automatically translates any site that is in a foreign language so that really is not a hindrance. They give you a list of all the tags (matches are tagged by wrestler, year, commentator, venue, and title match. If you click on that and are using Chrome, all the tags are translated so again, there isn't much of an issue from a language standpoint. If you want to use the search bar, you can just type the wrestler's name (or whatever keyword you are using) into google translate, copy/paste the Japanese translation, and search that way but the tags are probably the easiest.

Do people not use HDMI ports to hook their computers to their TV's?

What is this? The stone age?

Or just stream from your computer to TV with an Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, Roku, Smart TV, ect. I agree with those that would rather watch wrestling on their TV but there is no reason you can't watch everything on TV using one of those devices. It is totally worth it even if you only use it for wrestling. Nothing quite like being able to watch a live CMLL show in perfect HD on a big screen TV.

Anything in this that wasn't widely circulated before?

I am not the best person to answer this, but I don't think there is much that hasn't shown up before. Most of what is up there now was already on TV Asahi's On-Demand service. If they get to the rarer stuff, it will be later. The initial hook is the high video quality and getting a handful (give or take) of new live shows every month. I was buying a lot of the current NJPW iPPV's anyway, so at $8.50 a month it is more than worth it for that.

I doubt there will be any support for Roku or PS3 when barely anyone in Japan uses set top boxes. People are more likely to watch it on their mobile than through their TV. These types of streaming services barely have a foothold in the Japanese market. People still go to video rental stores here. I don't really think this service is comparable to the WWE Network. The WWE Network was a significant shift away from the PPV model, but in Japan there is the potential for more subscribers through this site than PPV buys through the existing pay TV platforms. Pay TV platforms in Japan have such small subscriber numbers that the internet is a much better option.

Parv will be curious to note there is a Brisco vs. Inoki match from '75 listed.

I browsed through a little this morning and it looks cool.

Chrome automatically translates any site that is in a foreign language so that really is not a hindrance. They give you a list of all the tags (matches are tagged by wrestler, year, commentator, venue, and title match. If you click on that and are using Chrome, all the tags are translated so again, there isn't much of an issue from a language standpoint. If you want to use the search bar, you can just type the wrestler's name (or whatever keyword you are using) into google translate, copy/paste the Japanese translation, and search that way but the tags are probably the easiest.

Seriously, once you translate (which is literally two clicks), the site may as well be an English language site. Don't let that be your barrier.