Pro Wrestling Only

<Split> NJPW World - their version of the WWE Network

Sean Liska

The closest I've come to watching computer material on the TV is putting together a playlist of Best of Japan 2000s stuff that I found on youtube and loading that up through the PS3. Otherwise, its just not worth the trouble.

More on point, the goals for NJPW World are clearly lower, and from my incredibly limited understanding of the culture over there they may be more open to an over the top service at this point than the bulk of the US population. Hope it succeeds but very interested to see at what rate subs develop.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was generally being sarcastic about it, but if it's a problem you can solve in less time than it takes to type out your complaint about....

I didn't think you were being a dick or anything. I just see this dynamic all the time as someone who kind of bridges the worlds of the tech-adept and the Luddites. There are a lot of people who don't see their computer, TV and phone all as one thing. And many of them probably don't care to. Yet we race ahead in tech discussions as if everyone is on the same page. It's interesting.

Regarding phones & the Japanese culture, they spent a ton of time during the presser with Tanahashi accessing everything on his phone.

Togi Makabe was there, playing the role of "old guy who isn't computer savvy at all showing that even HE can find his matches on NJW".

As a side note, Kazuchika Okada looked like he wanted to be anywhere but the presser.

I was generally being sarcastic about it, but if it's a problem you can solve in less time than it takes to type out your complaint about....

I didn't think you were being a dick or anything. I just see this dynamic all the time as someone who kind of bridges the worlds of the tech-adept and the Luddites. There are a lot of people who don't see their computer, TV and phone all as one thing. And many of them probably don't care to. Yet we race ahead in tech discussions as if everyone is on the same page. It's interesting.

To further your topic of interest, and bringing me around to realizing how strong a point you have, all these people saying "It's clunky to hook up my laptop, then I can't use it" shocked me.

I have a set up where my full time monitor is my television. Mulitmedia Mac hooked up to that, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard. It all works great, and isn't all that expensive.

Particularly to the guy looking to buy a 24" monitor rather than get a TV with an HDMI port.

The 24 inch monitor would be for my PC for work (I'm a home-based writer), not as a TV replacement. I work on my desktop PC in my office. I do casual web browsing on my tablet or phone. I watch YouTube, Netflix, WWE Network and, erm, content available as video files, on a PS3 hooked up to my TV.

Literally the only thing I can't do with my current setup is watch Flash-based video streaming on my big screen TV, which is pretty much New Japan World and ICW On Demand. That doesn't justify getting a laptop and/or replacing my TV.

Getting a 24 inch monitor (and one with a higher resolution and an HDMI connection) for the office would be a nice and affordable way to make watching that streaming stuff a little more pleasurable, as well as having benefits for work (I already have a two monitor setup for productivity.)

Dave being shocked to find the Inoki-Robinson hour draw shows me how out of touch he is on what is and is not out there. That has not only aired on Classics, but it even was its own commercial release. It's been available for years and years.

This. After hearing Dave talk about these uncovered gems that were not really rare at all, I am less interested in seeing the dead end that seems to be his VHS being converted or sorted through.

To further your topic of interest, and bringing me around to realizing how strong a point you have, all these people saying "It's clunky to hook up my laptop, then I can't use it" shocked me.

I have a set up where my full time monitor is my television. Mulitmedia Mac hooked up to that, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard. It all works great, and isn't all that expensive.

Particularly to the guy looking to buy a 24" monitor rather than get a TV with an HDMI port.

I'm the one that said that it was clunky to hookup my laptop to the TV and when I set up my MacBook to mirror the screen, I have to move TV to make room on the stand. It's a small thing but I'm not throwing a fit about it. But for me sometimes, I just want to use my laptop instead of my phone while I have something is going on the TV. Call me lazy or a short attention person or whatever but I do it like a lot of other people do it.

Trust me, I can set up something similar to your set up easily but that's not what I want to do.

Dave being shocked to find the Inoki-Robinson hour draw shows me how out of touch he is on what is and is not out there. That has not only aired on Classics, but it even was its own commercial release. It's been available for years and years.

This. After hearing Dave talk about these uncovered gems that were not really rare at all, I am less interested in seeing the dead end that seems to be his VHS being converted or sorted through.

It really is kind of amazing that the person who most of us think of as the preeminent pro wrestling historian is kind of lost when it comes to the availability of matches.

With historians in other fields, being a historical curator is mostly what they do. They are focused on keeping records and seeing how old events relate to today's events in a historical sense. Dave does a really good job of that but he's being a daily reporter on top of being a historian which is tough.

Matt Farmer is great historian of wrestling cause he doesn't have to pressures of covering what's going on WWE and UFC every single day.

I am browsing the website and it's great to have this available for that price.

Sorry if this has already been answered but are there any apps for this or is it only a website?

This may be end up doing well. Every time that you take the train in Tokyo you can see quite a few people watching something on their phones or tablets.

I read somewhere that CMLL may be part of this. I hope that means they'll put some limited form of CMLL historical archives there, not just current TV.

I don't really care, I'm not blasting the guy for it. Just find it funny is all. Although I'm not sure how accepting we would be of historians in other fields having such gaps in their resource knowledge.

We're talking about a couple of random matches here, I think you're overreacting when you imply he has gaps in his knowledge because of this.

Do you honestly expect him to be privy of every match that has ever made tape? With some of these, we're talking relatively obscure matches which in some cases you need to dive pretty deep into the comp/download world to find.

I had mentioned that the lost July 2012 PPV is available on NJW on Twitter last night, and I got some responses that the key matches aired in clipped form on NJPW TV. I never knew that and I follow New Japan as closely as anybody. I know Alan has never seen those matches either. Some of this stuff is not easy to find, even for super nerds like us.

I don't hook my laptop up to my TV because I like to use my laptop. It's a pain in the ass and I don't need to do it for anything that I stream nowadays. If anything, that's the more stone age way to watch stuff on your TV. Any streaming service worth anything has game console apps, smart TV apps, or set top box apps.

If the point of this is for NJPW to be more worldwide, they should certainly add apps for those devices. It's common sense for them to do so.

I don't really care, I'm not blasting the guy for it. Just find it funny is all. Although I'm not sure how accepting we would be of historians in other fields having such gaps in their resource knowledge.

We're talking about a couple of random matches here, I think you're overreacting when you imply he has gaps in his knowledge because of this.

Do you honestly expect him to be privy of every match that has ever made tape? With some of these, we're talking relatively obscure matches which in some cases you need to dive pretty deep into the comp/download world to find. .

I do expect him to be knowledgeable about something like the Inoki/Robinson time limit draw. If anything this just goes to show how lacking Meltzer is in tech savvy. It's kind of endearing in a way. I'm okay with Dave having gaps in his resource knowledge, it's just the way things are going to be when he spreads himself too thin. Still, it is funny to see him raving about matches becoming available and others to be like, "Dude, they've been available for a long time."

It really is kind of amazing that the person who most of us think of as the preeminent pro wrestling historian is kind of lost when it comes to the availability of matches.

No it's not. He doesn't tape trade anymore and he's got a million things on his plate. It'd be more amazing if someone like myself, goodhelmet, Dan Ginnetty, Jeff Lynch or Mike Lorefice didn't know. Even then, we all are going to know different availabilities of things than the other will.

In fairness to Dave, I don't think he actually said there was a bunch of stuff that had never been seen. He said there was a Choshu/Takano vs. Tenryu/Misawa match that had never been shown on TV. Then he listed a bunch of random stuff he'd found, but I don't think he's implying that Super J Cup or Skydiving J are new.

Regarding Japanese mobiles, at present it's only available on Android or iPhone. There's a long list on the website of smartphones that it can't be streamed on. It seems the only tablet it's available for is iPad. That should give you an idea of how far behind Japan is when it comes to these type of services. They're still in their infancy here.

In fairness to Dave, I don't think he actually said there was a bunch of stuff that had never been seen. He said there was a Choshu/Takano vs. Tenryu/Misawa match that had never been shown on TV. Then he listed a bunch of random stuff he'd found, but I don't think he's implying that Super J Cup or Skydiving J are new.

Regarding Japanese mobiles, at present it's only available on Android or iPhone. There's a long list on the website of smartphones that it can't be streamed on. It seems the only tablet it's available for is iPad. That should give you an idea of how far behind Japan is when it comes to these type of services. They're still in their infancy here.

I'm not sure how only being on the two biggest smartphone platforms is an issue here? They website only lists a handful of phones that it's incompatible with for some reason, which happens with all sorts of Android apps for a number of reasons. Also, Android phone apps are built to scale to Android tablets.