Pro Wrestling Only

<Split> NJPW World - their version of the WWE Network

Sean Liska

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Japan apparently did 100k iPPV buys for a couple of the Dome shows so there is some pretty serious cannibalization going on here.

It's not where the Network is technologically but this still seems pretty progressive for a country that is famously reticent to adopt any new technology that isn't phone-related.

Anything in this that wasn't widely circulated before?

All of the recent vintage PPV's that never emerged in the west (2012 G1 Night 1, and the 7/22/12 show with Tanahashi vs Tanaka, Nakamura vs Goto are the obvious ones).

Meltzer was listing a bunch of matches on Twitter last night that were previously hard to find, most with no commentary since they never aired anywhere.

I use Safari and tried Google translate and most of the text is still showing up in Japanese. Would I have better luck in Chrome?

The consensus on Twitter last night was that Chrome seems to work the best. There were some issues with video playback on some other browsers, too.

I was under the impression from the way people are talking that this was every single piece of recorded footage in the entire history of New Japan. That doesn't appear to be the case, which leaves me disappointed. I want to cancel my sub now. I've seen all the dome show/Classics stuff. I'm more interested in things that are previously uncirculated.

Mentioned this on Twitter, but it looks like the current content is the following:

* Full Recent major shows

* Archives of the BS Asahi TV show going back to April, 2012

* 67 volumes of their historical match/best of compilations that come with that Burn! magazine they sel (this is where the older matches that are up there are coming from)

* All the 1/4 Dome shows going back to 1992.

Just like the WWE Network, the live shows for the low price is what will drive this from a business perspective. The archive footage is great for hardcores, but as we saw with WWE, casuals lose interest in that fast once the novelty wears off.

This offers far more in the way of live shows. All PPV's/major shows, all Korakuen Hall shows, and many house show stops from the bigger buildings are all airing live, at least through January. Kidani's stated goal is 100k subs. We know the bigger PPV's were doing around that number, so they're goal is to essentially hook everybody who buys WK to stay on each month. I guess that's where they budget the losses they'll take from the WK hit back in.

My guess is like WWE, they will come up short. I think over the top is clearly where the future lies, but we aren't there yet in terms of these two companies being able to meet their stated goals.

Mentioned this on Twitter, but it looks like the current content is the following:

* Full Recent major shows

* Archives of the BS Asahi TV show going back to April, 2012

* 67 volumes of their historical match/best of compilations that come with that Burn! magazine they sel (this is where the older matches that are up there are coming from)

* All the 1/4 Dome shows going back to 1992.

There's a lot of stuff on there that they've had pulled from YouTube. That's the only real advantage to it that I can see other than the live events.

It's not taking my debit card.....ugh

I don't know what the others are using, but in Japan the only real debit card available is Visa.

I remembered what the deal was now....my bank had to put the kabosh on using debit cards as credit cards a while back because of a huge ring that was stealing debit numbers and using them as credit

Do people not use HDMI ports to hook their computers to their TV's?

What is this? The stone age?

this is something i see all the time and it continues to amaze me. For a lot of people it has to do with the layout of their house/furniture, but I think for some it is genuinely just a mental block.
Exactly. I have a converter for my laptop to HDMI cable and it works fine but it just looks clunky when I put it next to my tv in my apartment. Plus, sometimes I just don't want to open up the laptop to watch something after a long day.

I recently set up a Plex server so I can stream matches that I have on my hard drive to my tv but also having the luxury to do stuff on laptop if I wanted to.

this is something i see all the time and it continues to amaze me. For a lot of people it has to do with the layout of their house/furniture, but I think for some it is genuinely just a mental block.

I'm amazed that tech-savvy people are always so amazed at the tech apathy of most of the world.

i've never done it and have no interest in doing so. I can't use my PC well from the couch and if I'm on the couch, I can't use my PC. Meanwhile, I can watch anything on my pc. I can also kind of watch TV from my PC if need be.

Now, if I could get my TV on my computer without special boxes from Comcast, we'd have a winner.

Like OJ said, they have to get this on phones as Japanese use their phones like we do computers. Keep in mind Japan doesn't have cable(they have satellite packages) and most people are cool with having 10-12 channels only.

I think it's a good move overall as:

- It cuts out the uStream and Samurai TV middlemen.

- It gives people who aren't in the Tokyo area a chance to see more stuff at a cheaper price.

- NJPW has few worldwide TV deals, whereas WWE has tons of them. They can basically allow anyone from any country to get this. They're opening the world to NJPW.

- It plays really well with the new TV show. If they can get the TV show to a weekly deal, they can advertise their network service and all of their upcoming shows. I can see it now - "Check out the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show LIVE on NJPW World".

- It's pretty fresh and it gives them an extra step above rival promotions. There's multiple promotions in Japan where you can't even buy a show you want to see. NJPW already was ahead of everyone, but now, they are really ahead. I'd have to think Dragon Gate will be trying something similar soon.

- If NJPW wanted to, they could also get some other promotions in on this thing. The smaller indies won't have money or fans to start a service like this and NJPW could possibly loan their service out for a show or two if needed. Won't happen, but it's an idea.

My next question is - How far away are we from a Mexican promotion trying this?

Despite being both tech-savvy and a tech news writer, I don't have (or need) a laptop and my desktop PC is on a different floor to my TV. Even if I did have a laptop, my TV (bought in 2006) doesn't have HDMI ports. And even if it did, there's not really a convenient place to put my laptop that would be easy to access (particularly as I usually skip through parts of shows) and hook up both HDMI and power cables.

There's enough streaming stuff I can do on my PS3 that it's not worth buying either a new laptop or new TV just for specific streaming websites. I am strongly considering getting a 24" monitor though.

Regarding translation, best bet with Chrome is to install the official Google Translate extension. It's two clicks to translate any page, but works everytime unlike the built-in browser translation which can be flaky.