Pro Wrestling Only

<Split> NJPW World - their version of the WWE Network

Sean Liska

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness to Dave, I don't think he actually said there was a bunch of stuff that had never been seen. He said there was a Choshu/Takano vs. Tenryu/Misawa match that had never been shown on TV. Then he listed a bunch of random stuff he'd found, but I don't think he's implying that Super J Cup or Skydiving J are new.

Regarding Japanese mobiles, at present it's only available on Android or iPhone. There's a long list on the website of smartphones that it can't be streamed on. It seems the only tablet it's available for is iPad. That should give you an idea of how far behind Japan is when it comes to these type of services. They're still in their infancy here.

I'm not sure how only being on the two biggest smartphone platforms is an issue here? They website only lists a handful of phones that it's incompatible with for some reason, which happens with all sorts of Android apps for a number of reasons. Also, Android phone apps are built to scale to Android tablets.

Actually, I checked again and it's mostly basic phones that aren't supported, though for some reason it isn't very compatible with LG phones.

In fairness to Dave, I don't think he actually said there was a bunch of stuff that had never been seen. He said there was a Choshu/Takano vs. Tenryu/Misawa match that had never been shown on TV. Then he listed a bunch of random stuff he'd found, but I don't think he's implying that Super J Cup or Skydiving J are new.

Regarding Japanese mobiles, at present it's only available on Android or iPhone. There's a long list on the website of smartphones that it can't be streamed on. It seems the only tablet it's available for is iPad. That should give you an idea of how far behind Japan is when it comes to these type of services. They're still in their infancy here.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/17221-genichiro-tenryu-tiger-mask-vs-riki-choshu-george-takano-njpw-vs-ajpw-tokyo-dome-021090/

That match ?

I've just had a scan through the match listings. I'm sure it's great if you follow the modern NJPW. They're going to have to substantially increase the amount of archive footage to make it worthwhile for me. For a promotion with 42 years of shows in the vault there really isn't much up there yet.

FWIW, I went through the DVDVR "Best of the 1980s New Japan" results and with the help of two F4W posters (AlkalineKrogan & BenBoring) here are the links to the matches that are available:

1. 5-on-5 Gauntlet Challenge (4/19/84) [last part]
2. Andre the Giant vs. Stan Hansen (9/23/81)
4. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Umanosuke Ueda & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Akira Maeda, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido, Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki (3/26/86)
6. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Akira Maeda (6/12/86)
8. 5-on-5 Challenge (5/1/86) [Part One] , [Part Two] , [Part Three],[Part Four],[Part Five, [Part Six],[Part Seven],[Part Eight],[Part Nine]
10. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/3/83)
13. Antonio Inoki vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (2/6/86)
15. Shinya Hashimoto vs. Vader (4/24/89)
16. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (8/4/83)
21. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (7/7/83)
22. Antonio Inoki vs. Masa Saito (4/27/87)
23. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dynamite Kid (2/5/80)
24. Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (2/5/86)
25. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vader (4/24/89)
26. Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch (6/19/86)
27. Shinya Hashimoto vs. Victor Zangiev (4/24/89)
30. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (6/24/88)
35. Antonio Inoki vs. Vader (7/29/88)
37. Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (4/3/80)
40. Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Choshu (2/22/89)
44. Jushin Liger vs. Naoki Sano (7/13/89)
45. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/12/85)
46. Akira Maeda & Nobuhiko Takada vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kazuo Yamazaki (9/1/87)
53. Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Keiji Mutoh & Shiro Koshinaka (3/20/87)
62. Bob Backlund vs. Stan Hansen (9/30/80)
67. Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (2/8/80)
69. Tiger Mask vs. Steven Wright (4/1/82)
71. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vader (6/26/88)
72. Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi, (2/9/84)
73. Tiger Mask vs. Gran Hamada (11/6/81)
77. Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Andre the Giant & Rene Goulet (12/10/81)
78. Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (4/23/81)
87. Gran Hamada vs. Babyface (4/3/80)
89. Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (1/6/83)
90. Antonio Inoki & Keiichi Yamada vs. Nobuhiko Takada & Osamu Kido (2/5/86)
98. Nobuhiko Takada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (2/5/87)
107. Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Keiji Mutoh & Shiro Koshinaka (3/26/87)
124. Akira Maeda vs. Don Nakaya Nielsen (10/9/86)
126. Hulk Hogan vs. Abdullah the Butcher (5/26/82)
128. Akira Maeda vs. Nobuhiko Takada (1/3/86)
133. Dick Murdoch vs. Abdullah the Butcher (7/7/83)
140. Nobuhiko Takada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (8/5/86)
143. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Chavo Guerrero (5/9/80)
150. Keiichi Yamada vs. Masakazu Funaki (12/27/87)
162. Tiger Mask vs. El Canek (12/8/81)
165. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/21/83)
171. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/23/81)
173. Tiger Mask vs. Black Tiger (5/26/82)

(Apologies if I am not supposed to post match links in this thread.)

I don't hook my laptop up to my TV because I like to use my laptop. It's a pain in the ass and I don't need to do it for anything that I stream nowadays. If anything, that's the more stone age way to watch stuff on your TV. Any streaming service worth anything has game console apps, smart TV apps, or set top box apps.

If the point of this is for NJPW to be more worldwide, they should certainly add apps for those devices. It's common sense for them to do so.

I don't really care, I'm not blasting the guy for it. Just find it funny is all. Although I'm not sure how accepting we would be of historians in other fields having such gaps in their resource knowledge.

We're talking about a couple of random matches here, I think you're overreacting when you imply he has gaps in his knowledge because of this.

Do you honestly expect him to be privy of every match that has ever made tape? With some of these, we're talking relatively obscure matches which in some cases you need to dive pretty deep into the comp/download world to find.

I had mentioned that the lost July 2012 PPV is available on NJW on Twitter last night, and I got some responses that the key matches aired in clipped form on NJPW TV. I never knew that and I follow New Japan as closely as anybody. I know Alan has never seen those matches either. Some of this stuff is not easy to find, even for super nerds like us.

*****WPW Returns is a NJ show that aired on one of TV Asahi's satellite channels a few years back. My recollection was that they aired 2 or 3 matches from the 7/22 show uncut, then clipped versions of the under card matches.

Tracking all the ways you can see NJ footage is daunting task to say the least.******

Dan

cool! I got the cast a tab extensions set. I will pick up a chromecast tomorrow night and see how it works.

In the meantime, I tried hooking my phone to my TV with a HDMI cable, but it had an error message that would kick me back to the main page.

I am using an HDMI splitter now.

PC HDMI into the splitter, 2 outputs. 1 to the TV and 1 to my PC monitor.

Watching Takada vs. Koshinaka from 2/5/87 on my 65" TV!!

No audio (for some reason), but my PC speakers are nearby, so I am loving it.

If Chromecast can do this for me wirelessly, I will be a happy man.

Dan

P.S. I was able to download a match from the website, but it won't allow playback due to copy protection issues.

I did see that the resolution was 1280x720, and the 51 minute video was 900Meg in size, which matches up with the WWE network's 4500kbps stream.

Reading about this in the WON, Meltz brought up how this will affect the GFW PPV and all I could do is laugh at Jeff Jarrett....he must be PISSED

It definitely somewhat sucks for Jarrett, but I guess he knew beforehand that this would happen. New Japan had to have this planned for a while. With no official English version available New Japan World is still a thing reserved for the true hardcore international NJPW fans. Most of them probably already found a way around the limitations of NicoNico and would have watched that to get the full card or they would have waited for it to pop up on Dailymotion. I don't think those were the guys Jarrett was aiming at anyway and Jim Ross said as much when he said that his commentary is aimed at people new to New Japan. If that strategy is going to be a success is another question, but we'll see.

I tried my media for Roku casting with no luck. So if anyone else has any luck with anything similar holler.

Did you try your Roku and casting it with the Plex app? I don't NJPW World but their press conference and intro video are there for free so I can try that when I get home.

I haven't tried the plex app . I thought plex was just for files on your computer not for netflix or NJPW. Let me know if you make it work.

I tried my media for Roku casting with no luck. So if anyone else has any luck with anything similar holler.

Did you try your Roku and casting it with the Plex app? I don't NJPW World but their press conference and intro video are there for free so I can try that when I get home.
I haven't tried the plex app . I thought plex was just for files on your computer not for netflix or NJPW. Let me know if you make it work.
There is a plugin that lets you cast websites with Plex from the browser to the Plex app on the Roku. I have to try it cause I have a MacBook and the plug in might only work for Windows.

I will let you know.