Pro Wrestling Only

Best American Tournament

Has there ever been a one or two day American pro wrestling tournament that was praised as being good among a clear majority of fans? The Crockett Cups come to mind. So does the first King of the Ring. But even those two shows had some major flaws and I'm not sure you could get a clear majority to agree that they were great shows.

Is anyone that low on King of the Ring 1993? That feels pretty universally praised for good booking on WWF's standpoint and good match quality.

The 2004 TPI is held as the holy grail on indy wrestling tournaments for a while. Some matches I really liked and others I didn't but overall a great collection of indy talent.

This years BOLA was widely praised, but PWG is not something everyone loves.

I really liked the WWC tag team tourney from 86, I wonder if there is anything approaching consensus on that within the people who actually watch Puerto Rican wrestling.

For one night only tournaments very likely, the only other ones I can think of at the moment are the Gillette Cup tournaments from 87 and 88 (but those aren't completely available).

If it's over a couple of days, I think the Aniversario 86 Universal title tournament would be near the top. Some might say the IWA PR Light heavyweight title tournament from 99 could be a contender.

What is everyone's opinion on the Deadly Games tournament at Survivor Series 98? I remember it being a really great show, just on the way it was booked throughout the night though I can see how the finish of the main might sour people.

It was pretty awful like everything in WWF/E in 1998. Interestingly booked, but the show itself was dogshit.

survivor series 98 is one of the best arguments for the meltzer approach to wrestling, basically. i bought into the whole thing hook, line, and sinker as a 13-year-old, but no way is it that great on rewatch.

Fair enough, I think I've seen it, maybe, twice since it happened and certainly not any time recently.