Pro Wrestling Only

Best Matches You've Come Across

concrete1992

Was debating about suggesting a GME poll to follow this poll/go along with but I dug up the sentiment on that one from the "Are you interested" opening thread. And while I know plenty of people would find that list as useful or more useful later on, I'm aware that for many people taking part in this project, they've discussed the best matches for various decades for various regions for a long time now.

So my question is, what are the best matches you've come across in research for this project? Would love to know with the wide variety of ways people are going about their research what matches have stuck out.

Parv, as you'll see, it's not even the best Hansen match ever a couple months later. And then it's for sure not the best Hansen match a couple months after that.

In the grand scheme of 90's All Japan, it's in that second tier below the usual suspects. That being said, I don't think it's not as hyped so much as that there's a lot that comes later that seems to overshadow it. Watching in order like you are, that's definitely a sentiment I'm not surprised to see. It's a top flight match. It was ranked #15 in the DVDVR 90's poll, too. One of my favorite Hansen lariats ever in that match, and definitely one of my favorite Kawada sell jobs when he drops like a ton of bricks on that shot from Hansen about halfway through the match.

My argument is "yes, but all of Crockett". Any time, any promotion, that's a five star match in my book. Doesn't matter what else comes.

A five star match is a five star match, even if it is surpassed. I am full on board with Parv here.

I disagree on that point as I mention elsewhere on the forum, but I would rather focus on awesome matches being awesome...its like arguing over which lottery win is better £10m or £10.5m....when the value is that high, I would rather just celebrate the win!

Kawada vs Hansen from 2/28/93 is just so good that I can't understand why it is not more hyped and talked about. Instant desert island match for me and five star.

If I could only carry one disc of wrestling with me for the rest of my life, that match would be on it. No doubt.

Seen some awesome stuff that I didn't know anything about before this project.

The best matches I never heard of that I've watched:

Mayumi Ozaki vs Dynamite Kansai (street fight 03/17/95)

Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee (6/6/83)

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata (April 2007)

Atlantis & Hijo Del Santo vs Lobo Rubio & Fuerza Guerrera