Pro Wrestling Only

The NBA Playoffs are pro wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Misawa's first run with the TC.

People didn't really appreciate it until he was a good ways through, and people even thought someone else was better (check out the 1993 WON WOTY voting... not just who won, but who was 2nd). Folks were just really starting to get it, then the match with Doc ended it.

Last season the Dubs ate all that shit about being a jump shooting team, that they didn't have a star big man, that the regular season is just the regular season. They spent the off season having "luck" tossed at them.

Hard to tell if this season will end with a 06/03/94 moment (Warriors pushed past the brink but still pull through) or 07/28/94 moment (they get caught with a sudden backdrop driver).

• 3 weeks later...

Who is a good comparison for Kawhi Leonard?

His development over the years has been pretty amazing to watch. Going from a player with solid defensive potential and limited offense to the Spurs go-to guy for offense, and the most consistent three-point shooter they have this season (far more reliable than Danny Green or Patty Mills), while still being a force on the defense. Dude is a highlight reel on both ends of the court.

Duncan being in awe after Leonard hit 7 three-pointers tonight: https://vine.co/v/iWPWn3Kq2Jv He finished tonight with 27 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, in 33 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Who is a good comparison for Kawhi Leonard?

His development over the years has been pretty amazing to watch. Going from a player with solid defensive potential and limited offense to the Spurs go-to guy for offense, and the most consistent three-point shooter they have this season (far more reliable than Danny Green or Patty Mills), while still being a force on the defense. Dude is a highlight reel on both ends of the court.

Duncan being in awe after Leonard hit 7 three-pointers tonight: https://vine.co/v/iWPWn3Kq2Jv He finished tonight with 27 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, in 33 minutes.

Ricky Steamboat... truly jaw dropping to watch but a bad interview.

Bucks are most certainly not the Brock Lesnar in their 29-1 nor Kevin Nash, but it definitely works. At least in the Spurs we've got a worthy opponent for them to headline Starrcade/WCF with.

Hey, if the Spurs take the title away from the Warriors this year, I can love with being called the Kevin Nash of basketball. Multiple time champion, low ratings.

Bucks are most certainly not the Brock Lesnar in their 29-1 nor Kevin Nash, but it definitely works. At least in the Spurs we've got a worthy opponent for them to headline Starrcade/WCF with.

Hey, if the Spurs take the title away from the Warriors this year, I can love with being called the Kevin Nash of basketball. Multiple time champion, low ratings.

Whoa whoa whoa. NO!

The Spurs have played beautiful basketball for years and years. Theyve done it with guys in their prime, super young uproven guys, older washed up players, etc. They've done it offensively. They've done it defensively. Theyve done it by playing down low in the paint. They've decimated teams with small ball 3 ball lineups.

If you wanted to say they're like Buddy Rose with each Ring representing one of the year's Buddy was the best in the world I could get down with that. The low ratings could even be compared to Buddy working in a smaller territory or people just not paying attention because they were distracted by shinier lesser objects elsewhere. I mean, how are the Spurs ratings in San Antonio? I bet people there are watching just not the rest of the country. The run in New Japan is the loss to the Heat and the run in WWWF the win against the heat (higher profile situations, NJ run not a big success, WWWF run a big success relative = 26million viewers in the finals).

So that's a wrestling comp I'd be happy with. Fuck all this Kevin Nash shit.

:)

The low ratings could even be compared to Buddy working in a smaller territory or people just not paying attention because they were distracted by shinier lesser objects elsewhere. I mean, how are the Spurs ratings in San Antonio? I bet people there are watching just not the rest of the country.

Yep, national is one thing but ratings in S.A. are supposed to be pretty good: "The San Antonio Spurs finished the 2014-15 NBA regular season with the league's highest average local TV ratings. The Spurs had an 8.6/15 combined average rating/share for 74 games aired locally on FOX Sports Southwest, KENS-TV (KENS 5) and KMYS-TV (CW 35), per Nielsen Media Research. The Spurs ratings are up 7 percent overall from last season, when they finished second in the league in local TV ratings. The Silver and Black have ranked No. 1 or 2 in the NBA in local TV broadcast ratings 13 out of the last 14 seasons." (http://www.nba.com/spurs/san-antonio-spurs-finish-2014-15-nba-season-no-1-local-tv-ratings)

Benefit from having long-term figures (Duncan, Pop, Ginobili, Parker), consistency, always winning, no NFL team, fan loyalty and probably those silly H-E-B commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3pxZSmxL5M

Whoa whoa whoa. NO!

The Spurs have played beautiful basketball for years and years. Theyve done it with guys in their prime, super young uproven guys, older washed up players, etc. They've done it offensively. They've done it defensively. Theyve done it by playing down low in the paint. They've decimated teams with small ball 3 ball lineups.

If you wanted to say they're like Buddy Rose with each Ring representing one of the year's Buddy was the best in the world I could get down with that. The low ratings could even be compared to Buddy working in a smaller territory or people just not paying attention because they were distracted by shinier lesser objects elsewhere. I mean, how are the Spurs ratings in San Antonio? I bet people there are watching just not the rest of the country. The run in New Japan is the loss to the Heat and the run in WWWF the win against the heat (higher profile situations, NJ run not a big success, WWWF run a big success relative = 26million viewers in the finals).

Yeah apologies to the world. Key is that Spurs would be a worthy Starrcade opponent. Not a damn thing about them resembles Nash, though Boban just might be Big Sexy v2.0.

Whoa whoa whoa. NO!

Buddy Rose was never world champ. You can call Buddy Rose 7 seconds or less Phoenix Suns.

• 3 months later...

So Kobe's final Laker Game was definitely Pro Wrestling. It felt like watching a WrestleMania. And a shitty one. LIke Mania IX or 32 or something like that. I'm sure live it was awesome, but fuck was it brutal to watch.

Kobe was definitely HHH

Roy Hibbert was probaby Chris Jericho?

Deangelo Russell is AJ Styles maybe?

Anyway, that game was preposterous and was more pro-wrestling than most pro-wrestling.

Sure you often get one team tanking, towards the end of the season especially. And I'm always suspicious about the amount of times a team builds up a big lead, lets their opponent draw level before pulling away at the end. But that Kobe game was pure Hollywood. You couldn't have scripted it any better.

I have no shame. Complete and unabashed Kobe mark even though I'm not a Laker fan. 2nd best player post-Jordan and will always love him. Bonus points for having no shame in how he goes about his business on the court compared with others who'll pretend they don't want to play the exact same way and don't have a fraction of the success.

So Kobe's final Laker Game was definitely Pro Wrestling. It felt like watching a WrestleMania. And a shitty one. LIke Mania IX or 32 or something like that. I'm sure live it was awesome, but fuck was it brutal to watch.

Kobe was definitely HHH

Roy Hibbert was probaby Chris Jericho?

Deangelo Russell is AJ Styles maybe?

Anyway, that game was preposterous and was more pro-wrestling than most pro-wrestling.

According to the recent scandal, Deangelo Russel is Shawn Statsiak. :)

There was a point in that game where Kobe shot 4 consecutive airballs and I laughed soooooooo hard. I've never seen anything like that game. It was ridiculous. I am already mad that I have to spend the rest of my life listening about how Kobe played "One of the greatest games ever" on that night.

• 3 weeks later...

So far the 2016 NBA playoffs have been like modern-day WWE: There's a ton of talent and potential for intrigue out there, but mostly everything has fallen flat and disappointed. Oh, and a whole bunch of ill-timed injuries.

Spurs-Thunder has the potential to be intriguing, but the Thunder seem like their usual mess in the coaching/strategy area that it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs end up taking the series 4-1. Some say the Warriors losing Curry makes for an interesting storyline. Those people are wrong The NBA is about its stars. You don't want to see stars get injured.

And talk about bad booking. Three days between Spurs/Thunder games? C'mon.

Here's hoping Curry returns in time to face the Spurs in the conference finals. And here's hoping the main event of LeBron and crew make a series out of whomever they end up facing in the finals to salvage this year's playoffs.