Pro Wrestling Only

The NBA Playoffs are pro wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good comps for Patrick Ewing & Gary Payton?

As for Ewing, guy who was highly touted, trained by a legend, but never became a big star as he should've been outside of a few bright spots because his team was never good enough around him - so, I know this'll sound weird, but Go Shiozaki? Highly touted (Teams taking for him / Being talked about as a future star in the WON as a 15-year), trained by a legend (Sasaki/John Thompson as a coach), never was a big star as he could've been because of who he was around (Ewing's teammates/Rising as NOAH collapsed).

I don't think Warrior can match this:

1989 NBA Champion
1989 1st Team All-Defensive
1990 NBA Champion (2)
1990 Defensive Player of the Year
1990 1st Team All-Defensive (2)
1991 Defensive Player of the Year (2)
1991 1st Team All-Defensive (3)
1992 1st Team All-Defensive (4)
1992 3rd Team All-NBA
1992 Rebound Per Game Leader
1993 1st Team All-Defensive (5)
1993 Rebound Per Game Leader (2)
1994 2nd Team All-Defensive
1994 Rebound Per Game Leader (3)
1995 1st Team All-Defensive (6)
1995 3rd Team All-NBA (2)
1995 Rebound Per Game Leader (4)
1996 NBA Champion (3)
1996 1st Team All-Defensive (7)
1996 Rebound Per Game Leader (5)
1997 NBA Champion (4)
1997 Rebound Per Game Leader (6)
1998 NBA Champion (5)
1998 Rebound Per Game Leader (7)

It's funny that we remember the nut. Rodman has mentally issues, and always has. I think even his friends, teammates, coaches and management who like/respect him would agree with that.

But...

He was a terrific player, and not for a short time.

He had some blow ups. The end in San Antonio was a mess. His time with the Lakers and Mavs was a mess. His break with the Pistons was hard, but a chunk of that had to do with Chuck Daly leaving. People toss around "father figure" a lot, but for Chuck really was that for Rodman. Also had a divorce that season... just a brutal year for someone who had family issues growing up.

When his world was solid and focused, he was off the charts. Those would be the Daly years with the Pistons and the three years with the Bulls. That's nine seasons. He was more sporadic in the two years with the Spurs: some nights you got high end Rodman, and in other stretches he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

I'd have him at a higher level than Warrior. You'd look for someone who was nuts, but terrific and respected when "on", a bit limited one of the top tier all-time greats at his two specialties (defensive then a rebounding monster). Not a solo main eventer, but an important part of great promotions.

Well... I'd be okay for it to last until the Lakers are ready to win #171 & #18 to tie and pass the Celtics. ;)

1 We actually already have 17, but the NBA doesn't honor the first title the Mikan Lakers won in the NBL in 1947/48

Well... I'd be okay for it to last until the Lakers are ready to win #171 & #18 to tie and pass the Celtics. ;)

Kobe, Rondo, Kevin Love, Julius Randle, Jahlil Okafor, Nick Young, maybe pick up Jordan Hill's $9mill offer, Jordan Clarkson, Coach Byron Scott. I said it on the podcast and I'll say it again here, that's a recipe for 125 points allowed per game.

Warriors fans have some time. :)

Lakers are funny too. I don't want to downplay the amount of LOL's they've given me the last few years. But it's a different kind of funny than watching the Warriors score 10 points in 15 seconds. :P

I don't think Warrior can match this:

1989 NBA Champion

1989 1st Team All-Defensive

1990 NBA Champion (2)

1990 Defensive Player of the Year

1990 1st Team All-Defensive (2)

1991 Defensive Player of the Year (2)

1991 1st Team All-Defensive (3)

1992 1st Team All-Defensive (4)

1992 3rd Team All-NBA

1992 Rebound Per Game Leader

1993 1st Team All-Defensive (5)

1993 Rebound Per Game Leader (2)

1994 2nd Team All-Defensive

1994 Rebound Per Game Leader (3)

1995 1st Team All-Defensive (6)

1995 3rd Team All-NBA (2)

1995 Rebound Per Game Leader (4)

1996 NBA Champion (3)

1996 1st Team All-Defensive (7)

1996 Rebound Per Game Leader (5)

1997 NBA Champion (4)

1997 Rebound Per Game Leader (6)

1998 NBA Champion (5)

1998 Rebound Per Game Leader (7)

It's funny that we remember the nut. Rodman has mentally issues, and always has. I think even his friends, teammates, coaches and management who like/respect him would agree with that.

True, wasn't quite going for the complete one-to-one, as Rodman is a true HOF while all Warrior had was tremendous name recognition among those who causally follow, or don't follow wrestling. More going for guy who transcends the sport in terms of "hey remember that guy," but was a nut and tended to believe his own hype a bit too much.

Speaking of which, again I agree that one man deserves a spot as one of the greats to ever play his position, while the other deserves derision for being booked well above his actual talent and abilities, but I'd say Isiah Thomas-Jeff Jarrett might not be a bad one in terms of the smarmy snake oil charmer asshole that keeps coming back, no matter how many people just want him to disappear.

I'm not sober enough to complete this entire thought but Rodman strikes me as the "potential fulfilled" version of what people wishcast Brian Pillman to have been.

That works if Pillman was legit unhinged train wreck and was an attention whore in real life.

Well...

For Rodman, I'd like to find a Hall of Famer who was a nut but largely a "team player" when in the right settings, which was a large chunk of his career. Also not too short of a career. Trying to think of someone, but having a bit of a blank. Benoit would be wrong due to the end game, though other than that is someone similar. Different kind of nut, though.

For Warrior, he's closer to someone like Steve Francis. Over hyped, thought too much of himself, etc. Stevie wasn't as big of a "star" as Warrior, but the same trainwreck of a career.

Anyone know which wrestler has the most in common with Gary Payton? I asked this before but nobody responded.

I was trying to think of one when you initially posted this then forgot about it. I thought about Mark Henry as another great trash talker but that doesn't feel quite right. GP didn't take as long to get really good.

Maybe Arn? Has to be a great worker and talker.

I mentioned Kurt Angle before and you mentioned Brody in response. Josh Smith is a known pot-head so maybe Rob van Dam?

I'm trying to figure out the pro-wrestling equivalent of James Harden's 13 turnovers. Stairway to Hell between Sabu and Sandman?

I can't wait to watch Golden State just completely dismantle this Cavs team.

Harden is really tough.

There are times when he's awful (usually in the post season over the years), yet still has an oddball impact. There are times when he's terrific, but it's painful to watch if you're not a fan of his team. He's "great", but is a flawed ugly fashion that is also effecitive/efficient more often than not. You clearly can build a promotion around him: 45-37, 54-28 & 56-26 not just in the West but in the Southwest Division with the Spurs, Mavs and Grizzzzzz. That's like Onita or Maeda drawing big with New Japan and All Japan working the same "region" as you. It's not like he's doing that with Westbrook as his sidekick.

Don't really want to say he's either Onita or Maeda. He's is somewhat similar to them in working a different "style" than the more successful franchise players.

He's tough. Unique player. A bit like if Pistol Pete were actually a great hoops player rather than one of the most overrated ever. ;)

Somehow I just came across this thread today. Since wrestling & NBA are my 2 favorites...I love it. Been a blast reading through it.

Rodman is somewhere along the lines of a a Hayes or Gordy but with a much, much longer Freebird run. Way too quick to be the Worm. Arn Anderson also seems like a good fit, but not enough all time performances from him as you need a surefire HOFer. Arn might be a good comp for Robert Horry unless you're sour on him, in which case you lose anyways.

Some other thoughts:

Taue = Scottie Pippen

Tenryu = Shaq (Vader doesn't rank highly enough even if its a stronger fit)

Shawn Michaels = Karl Malone (Dr. J is a better fit but the hunting comp seals this one)

No one gets compared to Jordan because every wrestler has to job at some point.