TravJ1979

VIDEO_TS-title-0-ch-0-frame-417.jpg

Owner: Jerry Jarrett

Office/Production: Eddie Marlin, Guy Coffey

Announcers: Lance Russell & Dave Brown, Randy Hales

Referees: Paul Morton, Jerry Calhoun

Talent:

Jerry "The King" Lawler

The Rock and Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson)

"Nature Boy" Buddy Landell

"Universal Heartthrob" Austin Idol

Troy Graham

"Big Cat" Ernie Ladd

Rick Rood

Tony Anthony

Pat Rose

Jesse Barr

Porkchop Cash

King Cobra

Sir Oliver Humperdink

Tommy Gilbert

Duke Myers

Magic Dragon

Cocoa Samoa

Stan Frazier

Apocalypse (Mike Boyette)

Goro Tsurumi

Big Red Reese

Ken Raper

Sweet Daddy O

Abe Jacobs

Titles:

AWA Southern Heavyweight Championship

NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Championship

CWA/AWA International Heavyweight Championship

AWA Southern Tag Team Championship

Television:

"Championship Wrestling" will air a live 90-minute show from WMC Channel 5 Studios

Every Saturday morning from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

This program will air in the Louisville and Evansville markets a week later with a 60 minute version.

Live Events:

Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN Every Monday 7:30 p.m. bell time

Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY Every Tuesday 7:30 p.m. bell time

The Coliseum, Evansville, IN Every Wednesday 7:30 p.m. bell time

***All other spot shows will be noted/acknowledged if something significant happens.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] Saturday, July 2, 1983

WMC Channel 5 Studios in Memphis, Tennessee

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown here with you today bringing you another big episode of Championship Wrestling! Dave, Who do we have on the show today?"

Dave Brown: "Well, Lance today we're scheduled to see Tommy Gilbert and he'll be taking on Duke Myers, from there we have Ernie Ladd, the Big Cat taking on the mysterious White Angel and in our main event we got a big one, Jerry "The King" Lawler will be taking on Jesse Barr."

Lance Russell: "Alright, I don't see any reason why this one shouldn't live up to expectations, but before we get going here we'll take a quick time out folks and we'll be back with our first match right after this, you won't wanna go away."

Lance Russell: "We're back and looks like the guys are ready to go, Dave?"

Dave Brown: "In the ring right now hailing from Lexington, Tennessee and weighing in at 220 pounds, Tommy Gilbert; and his opponent, hailing from Oregon, Duke Myers! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Duke Myers v. Tommy Gilbert - Myers wins with feet on ropes

>After the match, the Bruise Brothers come out and tell Lance to get his carcass out from behind the desk as they have something to say. Lance reluctantly agrees, "Alright fellas, I had a feeling you'd be out here to gloat about becoming the New Southern Tag Team Champions..."

Cash: "Shut up Lance Russell. We have something very important to say!"

Troy Graham: "As you all know, that no good Lawler cheated his way to victory last week and so our manager Jimmy Hart had to leave Memphis ..."

Lance: "Yeah, along with Andy Kaufman, don't forget to mention that."

Graham: "I though Cash here told you to shut up!" "Now, luckily Jimmy is always thinking. He knew Lawler would pull out all the dirty tricks along with having Eddie Marlin in his back pocket ...

so what he did was, he set up a contract."

Lance: "A contract?"

Graham: "Yes, a contract, what are you deaf or something? Jimmy set up a contract that in the very likely event that Lawler was to cheat his way to victory and Jimmy had to leave, he wouldn't leave us out in the cold"

Lance: "What are you two getting at?"

Graham: "I'll tell you what I'm getting at. I'd now like to introduce, the First Family's new manager ... Sir Oliver Humperdink!

Lance: "Oh, no ... Sir Oliver Humperdink .."

Humperdink: "That's right, Lance Russell, you banana nose you. You didn't think Jimmy wouldn't leave without giving you a present, did ya?" Yes, Jimmy Hart had, in preparation for that no good Lawler's cheating ways, signed over the First Family's contracts to his good friend, ME! Sir Oliver Humperdink. It's still the same old family Memphis has learned to love, but from here on out, they'll be referred to as the ... House of Humperdink!"

Lance: "Oh, brother."

Humperdink: "C'mon out here guys"

Sabu, The Japanese Assassins and Duke Myers all come out to greet Humperdink and the Bruise Bros.>

Lance: "We gotta go to break..."

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 7 Big Matches

TOMMY GILBERT vs. RICK ROOD
KING COBRA vs. DUKE MYERS
BIG RED/SWEET DADDY O vs. ERNIE LADD/JESSE BARR
JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink vs. KEN RAPER/THE WHITE ANGEL
DEBBIE COMBS/COWBOY LANG vs. LEILANI KAI/LITTLE TOKYO
INDEPENDENCE DAY INVITATIONAL BATTLE ROYAL
SABU THE WILDMAN/BRUISE BROS. w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink vs. JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER/ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS

Dave Brown: "Entering the ring now, from Parts Unknown, The White Angel. Set to take him on, walking to the ring right now is, "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd from Raysville, Louisiana. Your referee is Paul Morton.

Match: Ernie Ladd v. The White Angel - Ladd wins after the Big Boot

Lance: "Here comes The Big Cat after a decisive victory of the White Angel."

Ladd: "Let me tell you something Lance Russell, what's the deal with me wrestling a guy under the name of the White Angel?"

Lance: "I don't know Ernie, that's just the young man's name is all."

Ladd: "Ah, Lance Russell, you're just like all of 'em. That wasn't no accident. That's Eddie Marlin and all these Memphis hicks trying to be cute; trying to be funny and make a joke at the expense of the Big Cat."

Lance: Now, Ernie I don't think any of that's true."

Ladd: Of course you don't, Lance Russell, cause you're one of them! You don't think I know the history of Memphis Wrasslin'? I remember back in the Ellis Auditorium, black folk were only allowed to sit up in the balcony and couldn't set ringside! What about that Lance Russell?"

Lance: "Well, that was a long time ago..."

Ladd: "Don't give me that nonsense. I'm an educated man and I don't get anything put over on me, ya hear?" "Back then it was segregation, but today it's so-called integration. But ya see, you can't pull one over on the Big Cat Ernie Ladd ya see. I see what's happening. Yes, black folks can sit wherever they want at the matches, but when it comes to wrestling in Memphis, you have to be an Uncle Tom like these fools I see here in Memphis like King Cobra, Sweet Daddy O, and that big dummy, Big Red. He goes by Big Red, but I call him the Big Dummy!

Marlin: "Ernie, you don't have any idea what you're talking about!"

Ladd: "What do you mean, I haven't said anything out here that isn't the truth." I'm the only black man willin' to stand up to you Memphis hillbillies and tell it like it is!"

Marlin: "Well, your history lesson is a little bit incomplete!"

Ladd: "What!?"

Marlin: "You heard me. You forgot to tell the people about how the black folk got to be UN-segragated."

"You just be quiet and let me talk. You had you're time out here, not let me finish the story, big man!" What you failed to mention is that a wrestler by the name of Sputnik Monroe ...

... that's right the people know, Sputnik Monroe was a champion of the blacks and he flat out refused to wrestle unless the black fans were allowed to sit wherever they wanted!"

Ladd: "That old has been Monroe don't mean nothing to me. He never did anything for the Big Cat Ernie Ladd, so why would I care anything about Sputnik Monroe who's probably sitting at home in his rocking chair drooling in his prune soup.!"

Marlin: "I doubt that very much. And another thing! You talk about the black wrestlers being Uncle Tom's, I don't know what that means to you, but unless it means working real hard and making something of themselves that these fans, black and white, can be proud of, then I don't think you got the whole story."

Ladd: "Eddie Marlin, you know as well as I do those Uncle Tom's had to mop the floors and shine you and Jerry Jarrett's shoes to get a job around here and you know it!"

Big Red who confronts Ladd and says he's full of crap and if he wants to settle it, we can do it in the ring. Ladd backs off>

Ladd: "...now isn't the time, but you'll be hearing from me you Big Dummy!

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 7 Big Matches

SABU THE WILDMAN/BRUISE BROS. w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink vs. JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER/ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS

Dave Brown: "In the ring at this time, from Portland, Oregon, Jesse Barr! And his opponent coming into the arena now, is The King! Jerry Lawler! This will be a one fall, expiration of time match. Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Lawler: "Lance, I just wanted to stop out here and apologize as that sure wasn't much of a gift Jimmy left ya was it?

Lance : "No, Jerry it most certainly was not."

Lawler: "Well, we'll just have to get rid of him just like we did that stinking Hart, but first I gotta take care of this punk."

Lance: "Alright, The King! making his way to the ring to take on tough Jesse Barr."

Match: Jerry "The King" Lawler v. Jesse Barr - Lawler wins by DQ after Sabu and the Bruise Brothers hit the ring. Rock-n-Roll Express make the save.

Lawler: "Let me tell you something Humperdink ... Or Humpty Dumpty Dink or whatever your name is, Hart may have signed over his goons to you, but you sure don't know what you got yourself into, brother. You just be there this Monday Night and you bring your goons with you and I'll bring the Rock and Roll Express and we'll see who's tough going up against one another face to face instead of back jumping like the fans just saw here.

Ricky Morton: "That's right, King. Humperdink! Bruise Bros.! The King will take care of that nasty Sabu, but he's gonna leave you punks to us and believe me, we're gonna Rock and Roll all night up across your head, Woo!

Lance Russell: "What a wild one we had going on today, Dave."

Dave Brown: "No question about it. We had Duke Myers pull over a somewhat tainted victory of Tommy Gilbert, Ernie Ladd downed the White Angel, and boy did he have a lot to say after that one. And as you saw just now a disqualification on Jesse Barr after the newly formed, or renamed I should say, House of Humperdink jumped in on Lawler"

Lance Russell: "Well, Ladies and Gentleman, that's all from us here. We sure hope you'll join us again next week for another Championship Wrestling. Lance Russell for Dave Brown; Goodbye everybody!

Voice Over: "The announcers on this program are selected and paid by parties other than this station, namely, the promoters of Championship Wrestling."

Championship Wrestling
[TAPED] Saturday, June 25, 1983
[sHOWN] Saturday, July 2, 1983 (Louisville/Evansville Market)
WMC Channel 5 Studios

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown here with you today bringing you an exciting episode of Championship Wrestling! Boy, Dave, I'll tell ya we got a big one today."

Dave Brown: "That's for sure. Just listen to some of the folks you'll be seeing today: "Universal Heart Throb" Austin Idol, Jesse Barr out of Oregon, Big Red will be with us today along with the Bruise Brothers, Tommy Gilbert and more."

Lance Russell: "Yeah Dave I have a feeling we'll be hearing from Jimmy Hart and his pal, Andy Kaufman as well. We're gonna take a quick time out folks and we'll be coming back at'cha with Austin Idol taking on Pat Rose!"

Lance Russell: "We're back and Dave I think we're ready to go here.."

Dave Brown: "We sure are, let's get the introductions under way ...In the ring right now hailing from Trenton, Georgia and weighing in at 240 pounds, Pat Rose; and his opponent coming to the ring right now hailing from Las Vegas, Nevada, the Universal Heart Throb, Austin Idol! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Austin Idol v. Pat Rose - Idol pins Rose.

Jimmy Hart and Andy Kaufman come out to the desk. Hart mentions he knows Andy has something to say about their big match coming up with Lawler, but he wants to address the Southern Tag Team titles.>

Hart: "As you know, those gutless cowards the Fabulous Ones, instead of facing my boys the Bruise Brothers, decided to tuck their tail between there legs and disappear into obscurity just like their namesake, that old mummy, Jackie Fargo."

Rock and Roll Express.>

Hart: "Of course that is the reason and don't you ever question my word again, Banana Nose.

Lance: "Well, The Fabulous Ones aren't the only ones that will have left the area..."

Kaufman: "Just shut up, Banana Nose. I know what you're getting at. Our upcoming match with Lawler."

Lance: That's exactly what I'm saying as you and Jimmy Hart will be taking on The King where if you two lose you'll BOTH leave Memphis for good!

Kaufman: "Don't forget the other side of that, dummy and that is if..no WHEN Jimmy and I pin that no good...

... "Jerry 'The King' Lawler from Memphis, Tennessee, he will have his head shaved bald right there in the middle of the ring.

Lawler: "Listen you two wimps, there ain't gonna be no head shaving because there is no possible way you two will ever be able to beat me on your best day, brother. Just get ready to pack your bags."

Kaufman: "Thanks for holding me back, Jimmy. I wouldn't want to hurt him and give him an excuse for when we beat him and shave his big, fat, pointed head bald!"

>>Lance Russell runs down the card for the Gardens/Coliseum: 7 Big Matches
PLOWBOY FRAZIER vs. RICK ROOD
SWEET DADDY O vs. THE DARK SHADOW
KING COBRA vs. PAT ROSE
JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Jimmy Hart vs. TOMMY GILBERT/KEN RAPER
ERNIE LADD vs. BIG RED
BRUISE BROS. w/ Jimmy Hart vs. ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS for vacant Southern Tag Titles
JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER vs. JIMMY HART/ANDY KAUFMAN in a Loser's Leave Town v. Lawler's Hair Match

Dave Brown: "In the ring right now hailing from Atlanta, Georgia and weighing in at 500 pounds, Big Red; and his opponent hailing from Portland, Oregon, Jesse Barr! Your referee is Paul Morton.

Match: Big Red v. Jesse Barr - Big Red wins by DQ after a run-in DQ by Ernie Ladd

>>Lance Russell runs down the card for the Gardens/Coliseum: 7 Big Matches
PLOWBOY FRAZIER vs. RICK ROOD
SWEET DADDY O vs. THE DARK SHADOW
KING COBRA vs. PAT ROSE
JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Jimmy Hart vs. TOMMY GILBERT/KEN RAPER
ERNIE LADD vs. BIG RED
BRUISE BROS. w/ Jimmy Hart vs. ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS for vacant Southern Tag Titles
JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER vs. JIMMY HART/ANDY KAUFMAN in a Loser's Leave Town v. Lawler's Hair Match

Lance Russell: "At this time, I'd like to bring out two young men who've been teaming up for the past couple of months and boy have they been successful, come on out, Ricky and Robert, the Rock and Roll Express!

Ricky: "Well thank you, Lance for inviting us out here and for the kind words."

Lance: "Well I know that Robert and yourself are not only wrestling for the Southern Tag Titles against the Bruise Brothers, and boy we know they are mean and nasty, but that you are doing something very nice for three Children's Hospitals in the Mid-Southern Area, is that right Ricky?

Ricky: "That's right Lance. Robert and I have bought three rows of ringside seats for each of the three arena shows we'll be wrestling at this week so all the kids can come see us wrestle. Le Bonheur Children's Hospital here in Memphis, Kosair's Children's Hospital in Louisville, KY and last, but not least Wednesday night for St. Mary's Center for Children in Evansville. Not only that, but we've talked with Jerry Jarrett, and he has agreed to give The Rock-n-Roll's pay for each of those three shows and split it between the those children's hospitals.

Lance: "Alright! How about that everybody? I'll tell ya Rick that's really refreshing news. Boy, there are a lot of people that talk about things they are gonna do, but it takes a good man to do something so charitable and in this case two big men."

Jimmy Hart and the Bruise Brothers>

Hart: "Would you just listen to this, boys. These two goofs think bringing a bunch of snot nose punks to the matches that it's gonna gain them some type of favor or, better yet, help them grab those vacant Southern Tag Titles."

Ricky: "Listen Hart, I don't appreciate you talking bad about those sick kids so just shut your mouth!"

Hart: "Oh, what are you two punks gonna do about it Bruise Bros. back him up>. I'll say anything about those brats I want to and listen here, why don't you stay out here at the desk and just watch what my boys and Sabu are gonna do in just a few minutes"

Ricky: "If it's okay with you Lance, I think Robert and I will take them up on that."

Lance: "Well alright, let's get this thing going ... Dave?"

Dave Brown: "Being led to the ring by Jimmy Hart alongside Andy Kaufman are Pork Chop Cash and Troy Graham, The Bruise Brothers and their partner Sabu the Wild Man. They'll be taking on King Cobra, Tony Anthony and Tommy Gilbert. This will be a one fall, expiration of time match. Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Bruise Bros./Sabu the Wild Man v. King Cobra/Tony Anthony/Tommy Gilbert - Double DQ after Bruise Bros. and Sabu begin brawling with Jerry Lawler and Rock-n-Roll Express after provoked by Hart and Kaufman.

Lance: "Big day of action today, Dave."

Dave Brown: "Yeah it sure was. We saw the Heart Throb Austin Idol defeat Pat Rose, Big Red over Jesse Barr after Ernie Ladd got involved and in the big six-man tag a Double Disqualification after the referee lost control in that one..."

Lance: "Oh, boy. One thing is for sure, it'll all go down during this week's card. Well, Ladies and Gentleman, that's all from us here. We'll see you next week for another big program of Championship Wrestling. Lance Russell for Dave Brown; Goodbye everybody!

Voice Over:
"The announcers on this program are selected and paid by parties other than this station, namely, the promoters of Championship Wrestling."

What happened... did you forget to post this show first or are we airing a re-run???

This is the tape delayed Louisville/Evansville show. To make it work I had to show the 6/25 Memphis show on 7/2 for the Louisville/Evansville Market so it kind of spoiled the results of the 7/5 and 7/6 Gardens and Coliseum shows. that occurred at MSC on 6/27. Going forward it won't be a problem as the Evansville/Louisville shows I post will just be repeats of the previous weeks Memphis show.

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 7/4/1983

Mid-South Coliseum

Memphis, TN

TOMMY GILBERT defeated RICK ROOD

KING COBRA defeated DUKE MYERS w/Sir Oliver Humperdink by DQ when Humperdink interfered.
BIG RED/SWEET DADDY O defeated ERNIE LADD/JESSE BARR when Barr pinned Big Red. Ladd held Red's legs during the count.
JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink defeated KEN RAPER/THE WHITE ANGEL when Magic Dragon pinned Raper.
DEBBIE COMBS/COWBOY LANG defeated LEILANI KAI/LITTLE TOKYO when Debbie Combs KO'ed Little Tokyo after he slapped her butt one time to many.
AUSTIN IDOL won INDEPENDENCE DAY INVITATIONAL BATTLE ROYAL last eliminating Ladd.
SABU THE WILD MAN/BRUISE BROS. w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink defeated JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER/ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS after Sabu pinned Lawler after he was struck with Humperdink's walking stick by Pork Chop Cash.

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 7/5/1983

Louisville Gardens

Louisville, KY

PLOWBOY FRAZIER defeated RICK ROOD

SWEET DADDY O defeated THE DARK SHADOW with the Sweet Slam.

KING COBRA defeated PAT ROSE with the Cobra Strike Lariat.

JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Jimmy Hart defeated TOMMY GILBERT/KEN RAPER when Magic Dragon pinned Raper.

BIG RED defeated ERNIE LADD by CO after Ladd left the ringside area.

BRUISE BROS. w/ Jimmy Hart defeated ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS for vacant Southern Tag Titles when Cash pinned Ricky after being hit with the ring bell while the referee was distracted by Hart. As a result of the victory, The Bruise Brothers are the new Southern Tag Team Champions.

JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER defeated JIMMY HART/ANDY KAUFMAN in a Loser's Leave Town v. Lawler's Hair Match. The Bruise Brothers were holding Lawler as Kaufman went to throw powder in Jerry's eyes. However, Lawler ducked and the powder hit Hart who was standing behind Lawler. The Rock n Roll Express ran the Bruise Bros. off as Lawler pinned Hart. As a result of the victory, Jimmy Hart and Andy Kaufman must leave Championship Wrestling!

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 7/6/1983

Evansville Coliseum

Evansville, Indiana

PLOWBOY FRAZIER defeated RICK ROOD

SWEET DADDY O defeated THE DARK SHADOW with the Sweet Slam.

KING COBRA defeated PAT ROSE with the Cobra Strike Lariat.

JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Jimmy Hart defeated TOMMY GILBERT/KEN RAPER when Magic Dragon pinned Raper.

BIG RED defeated ERNIE LADD by CO after Ladd left the ringside area.

BRUISE BROS. w/ Jimmy Hart defeated ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS for vacant Southern Tag Titles when Cash pinned Ricky after being hit with the ring bell while the referee was distracted by Hart. As a result of the victory, The Bruise Brothers are the new Southern Tag Team Champions.

JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER defeated JIMMY HART/ANDY KAUFMAN in a Loser's Leave Town v. Lawler's Hair Match. The Bruise Brothers were holding Lawler as Kaufman went to throw powder in Jerry's eyes. However, Lawler ducked and the powder hit Hart who was standing behind Lawler. The Rock n Roll Express ran the Bruise Bros. off as Lawler pinned Hart. As a result of the victory, Jimmy Hart and Andy Kaufman must leave Championship Wrestling!

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] Saturday, July 9, 1983

WMC Channel 5 Studios in Memphis, Tennessee

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown right along ringside for another exciting day of Championship Wrestling! Tell the folks what we got going on today, Dave."

Dave Brown: "Coming in today you'll see Sweet Daddy O as he'll be teaming up with Austin Idol taking on The Dark Shadow and Jesse Barr. From there Buddy Landell will be with us, and in the main event a six-man tag as Jerry "The King" Lawler teams with with the Rock-n-Roll Express as they take on the House of Humperdink, Duke Myers, Sabu, and one-half of the Japanese Assassins, The Magic Dragon!"
Lance Russell: "Well, folks, we're sure glad you tuned in, and I believe you will be too after hearing those matches. We'll take a quick time out and we'll be back with a whole lotta action right after this."
Lance Russell: "We're back and ready for action. Dave?"
Dave Brown: "In the ring now, hailing from Memphis, Tennessee and weighing in at 220 pounds, Ken Raper; and his opponent, hailing from Knoxville, Tennessee, the AWA International Champion, Buddy Landell! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.
Match: Buddy Landell pins Raper easily.
>After the match, Landell walks over to the desk.
Landell: "Did ya miss me, Lance?"
Lance: "Well, Buddy ..."
Landell: "That's okay, Lance. You don't have to say it. I can see it in your face. You're glad ol' Buddy Landell is back in Memphis."
Lance: "Okay, Buddy."
Landell: "You know, Lance. I watched the tape of last weeks show this morning and I gotta say I'm dissapointed."
Lance: "Oh, and why is that?"
Landell: "I wasn't mentioned not ONE TIME! I mean, c'mon, Lance. I'm an international star! You haven't told the folks that I just got back from a very successful trip to Puerto Rico! I'm the AWA International champion! I'm big news."
Lance: "Well, I'm sorry Buddy."
Landell: "Oh, I forgive you, Lance. See I'm that type of guy. Not only am I the best professional wrestler in the world today, not only did I beat that bum, Ken Patera for the International Title before I left and sent him packin', I'm actually a nice guy. I don't think I get enough credit."
Lance: "Now, Buddy, these fans know some of the stuff you've pulled here and elsewhere. They may not think you're all that nice of a guy."
Landell: "Now, wait a minute, Lance Russell. That's not exactly fair. I may have did some things I'm not proud of, but a man can change can't he?"
Lance: "Well, I suppose ..."
Landell: "Listen here. I'll prove it to you. Will you give me a chance to at least prove it to you that I can change? I'll tell you what. Each week, whether it be at the Mid South Coliseum, Louisville, Evansville ... Anywhere! I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna put my title up against anybody that wants a shot. I'll wrestle everybody from the bottom all the way to the top. I'll do it with clean, scientific wrestling." "This will tell you that I'm not only generous, the greatest wrestler, the purist wrestler, but a helluva nice guy!"
Lance: C'mon now, you aren't supposed to be out here. We got to take a break."
Humperdink: "Lance ... I know I'm not supposed to be out here, but I just had to come out and talk about this past week. Something very positive, life-altering happened and I feel like I just have to come out and tell the people.
Lance: "C'mon now, quit clowning around."
Humperdink: "No, no, Lance. This is geniune. This is coming from the heart."
Lance: "Do we have time? "Do we have time?" "Okay. They tell me we have just a few minutes before we got to take a break. What is it?"
Humperdink: "Please, Lance. Don't be so angry. Let me just say what I have to say. I promise it won't take long."
Lance: "Okay, well, get on with it."
Humperdink: "As you know, Lance. This past week at the arenas, there were a bunch of sick kids brought by the Rock-n-Roll Express from local hospitals."
Lance: "Yeah, there were indeed."
Humperdink: "I just want to let you know that one particular kid just so happened to catch my eye. He was a small little guy, but I noticed he wasn't having too much fun. Now I know I said some things in the past, and let me tell you now, I was wrong. I was dead wrong. Something told me to go see what was the matter with this young man. Why wasn't he having fun? So I went up to him, and he was very timid around me, I thought, maybe, because I haven't been the nicest guy to the Rock and Roll Express, I just wanted to ask him what was wrong. So I did. And that's when he told me, Lance. He told me that his parents were divorced and he lived with his father who beat him. That's how he ended up in the hospital."
Lance: "Oh, man. That's terrible!"
Humperdink: "Indeed it is, Lance. I felt bad for the kid. I tried to help out, ya know. I asked if he could go stay with his mother. He said he couldn't because she beats him too. I said well that's terrible. How about your grandparents? Them too he said. At this point I was beside myself. What a rough life this poor young man has had. So I asked him if there was ANY body he could stay with. He looked up at me and said, Mr. I'd love to live with the Rock and Roll Express! I asked him why that was. That's when he said... Because! The Rock and Roll Express can't beat anybody!
Lance: "I knew you were up to no good! Goodness gracious. I can't believe you, Humperdink!"
Humperdink: "Oh shut up, Banana nose. Those two punks CAN'T beat anybody. I know Eddie Marlin is giving them another shot this week at the belts, but I'll tell you what I did. I made sure it will be there LAST shot at the belts as long as my boys hold them, which will be a long time to come!
Lance: "Let's take a break. We'll be back"
>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 7 Big Matches - 4 BIG Title Matches, No Increase in Prices!
TONY ANTHONY vs. RICK ROOD
KING COBRA/SWEET DADDY O vs. JAPANESE ASSASSINS
ERNIE LADD vs. BIG RED
BUDDY LANDELL vs. MIKE BOYETTE for the AWA International Title.
AUSTIN IDOL vs. JESSE BARR for the Mid-America Title.
ROCK-N-ROLL EXPRESS vs. THE BRUISE BROS. for the Southern Tag Titles, RNR's last shot.
JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER vs. SABU for the Southern Heavyweight Title.
Dave Brown: "Entering the ring now, from Parts Unknown, The Dark Shadow and his partner, from Oregon, Jesse Barr. Their opponents, Sweet Daddy O and the Universal Heart Throb, Austin Idol! Your referee is Paul Morton.
Match: Austin Idol/Sweet Daddy O defeat Jesse Barr/The Dark Shadow when Sweet Daddy pins the Dark Shadow.
>> After the match, Ernie Ladd walks out to the desk while Sweet Daddy O and Austin Idol stand by.
Ladd: "Lance Russell! I've had it! Get over here!"
Ladd: "Look here at what just happened! Your Uncle Tom, Sweet Daddy O just beat a man by the name of the Dark Shadow!"
Lance: "Yes, Ernie, what is your point?"
Ladd: "Don't you play coy with me, Lance Russell! The Dark Shadow! First, you have me wrestling the White Angel and now this Uncle Tom is wrestling the Dark Shadow!"
Lance: "Now, Ernie, Eddie Marlin came out here last week and told you this was all nonsense."
Ladd: "I don't care what Eddie Marlin says. He gives these masked punks these names just to tick me off! Why couldn't he be The Dark Angel? What? A black man can't be an angel? I told you, I'm an educated man and I know these aren't these punks birth names! It's Eddie Marlin being funny and I won't stand for it!"
Sweet Daddy: "Listen here..."
Ladd: "You just shut up, Uncle Tom. You and your lilly white partner over here."
Idol: "Now hold on, Ladd. Don't you start in on me ..."
Ladd: "I'll do what I wanna do! All of you around here are the same. I'm the biggest man around here and can't nobody stop me!"
Ladd: "Typical, three on one! Your time's coming big boy!"
>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 7 Big Matches - 4 BIG Title Matches, No Increase in Prices!
TONY ANTHONY vs. RICK ROOD
KING COBRA/SWEET DADDY O vs. JAPANESE ASSASSINS
ERNIE LADD vs. BIG RED
BUDDY LANDELL vs. MIKE BOYETTE for the AWA International Title.
AUSTIN IDOL vs. JESSE BARR for the Mid-America Title.
ROCK-N-ROLL EXPRESS vs. THE BRUISE BROS. for the Southern Tag Titles, RNR's last shot.
JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER vs. SABU for the Southern Heavyweight Title.
Dave Brown: "We're ready for our main event! 2 out of 3 Falls, expiration of time match. Out now is the House of Humperdink, lead of course by Sir Oliver Humperdink. Duke Myers, Sabu and The Magic Dragon. Their opponents, heading out now, The KING! Jerry Lawler, from right here in Memphis, Tennessee and his tag team partners, Ricky and Robert, The Rock and Roll Express! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."
Match: Jerry Lawler/Rock and Roll Express tie with one fall a piece with the House of Humperdink, Sabu, The Magic Dragon and Duke Meyers.
>>After the match the rest of the House of Humerdink run out and jumps Lawler and the Rock and Roll Express causing the third fall to be cancelled.
Lance Russell: "Boy oh Boy, Dave. I'll tell ya, the action never stops"
Dave Brown: "That's for sure, Lance. That big Main event ended in a draw when we just flat ran out of time at one fall a piece. Also, Buddy Landell, Austin Idol and Sweet Daddy O all picked up victories. Like you said, non-stop action"
Lance Russell: "That's all we could pack in today, folks! We sure hope ya tune in next week with us here at Championship Wrestling. Lance Russell for Dave Brown; Goodbye everybody!
Voice Over: "The announcers on this program are selected and paid by parties other than this station, namely, the promoters of Championship Wrestling."

Championship Wrestling

[TAPED] Saturday, July 2, 1983
[sHOWN] Saturday, July 9, 1983 (Louisville/Evansville Market)
WMC Channel 5 Studios

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown here with you today bringing you another big episode of Championship Wrestling! Dave, Who do we have on the show today?"

Dave Brown: "Well, Lance today we're scheduled to see Tommy Gilbert and he'll be taking on Duke Myers, from there we have Ernie Ladd, the Big Cat taking on the mysterious White Angel and in our main event we got a big one, Jerry "The King" Lawler will be taking on Jesse Barr."

Lance Russell: "Alright, I don't see any reason why this one shouldn't live up to expectations, but before we get going here we'll take a quick time out folks and we'll be back with our first match right after this, you won't wanna go away."

Lance Russell: "We're back and looks like the guys are ready to go, Dave?"

Dave Brown: "In the ring right now hailing from Lexington, Tennessee and weighing in at 220 pounds, Tommy Gilbert; and his opponent, hailing from Oregon, Duke Myers! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Duke Myers v. Tommy Gilbert - Myers wins with feet on ropes

>After the match, the Bruise Brothers come out and tell Lance to get his carcass out from behind the desk as they have something to say. Lance reluctantly agrees, "Alright fellas, I had a feeling you'd be out here to gloat about becoming the New Southern Tag Team Champions..."

Cash: "Shut up Lance Russell. We have something very important to say!"

Troy Graham: "As you all know, that no good Lawler cheated his way to victory last week and so our manager Jimmy Hart had to leave Memphis ..."

Lance: "Yeah, along with Andy Kaufman, don't forget to mention that."

Graham: "I though Cash here told you to shut up!" "Now, luckily Jimmy is always thinking. He knew Lawler would pull out all the dirty tricks along with having Eddie Marlin in his back pocket ...

so what he did was, he set up a contract."

Lance: "A contract?"

Graham: "Yes, a contract, what are you deaf or something? Jimmy set up a contract that in the very likely event that Lawler was to cheat his way to victory and Jimmy had to leave, he wouldn't leave us out in the cold"

Lance: "What are you two getting at?"

Graham: "I'll tell you what I'm getting at. I'd now like to introduce, the First Family's new manager ... Sir Oliver Humperdink!

Lance: "Oh, no ... Sir Oliver Humperdink .."

Humperdink: "That's right, Lance Russell, you banana nose you. You didn't think Jimmy wouldn't leave without giving you a present, did ya?" Yes, Jimmy Hart had, in preparation for that no good Lawler's cheating ways, signed over the First Family's contracts to his good friend, ME! Sir Oliver Humperdink. It's still the same old family Memphis has learned to love, but from here on out, they'll be referred to as the ... House of Humperdink!"

Lance: "Oh, brother."

Humperdink: "C'mon out here guys"

Sabu, The Japanese Assassins and Duke Myers all come out to greet Humperdink and the Bruise Bros.>

Lance: "We gotta go to break..."

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Louisville Gardens/Evansville Coliseum: 7 Big Matches

Dave Brown: "Entering the ring now, from Parts Unknown, The White Angel. Set to take him on, walking to the ring right now is, "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd from Raysville, Louisiana. Your referee is Paul Morton.

Match: Ernie Ladd v. The White Angel - Ladd wins after the Big Boot

Lance: "Here comes The Big Cat after a decisive victory of the White Angel."

Ladd: "Let me tell you something Lance Russell, what's the deal with me wrestling a guy under the name of the White Angel?"

Lance: "I don't know Ernie, that's just the young man's name is all."

Ladd: "Ah, Lance Russell, you're just like all of 'em. That wasn't no accident. That's Eddie Marlin and all these Memphis hicks trying to be cute; trying to be funny and make a joke at the expense of the Big Cat."

Lance: Now, Ernie I don't think any of that's true."

Ladd: Of course you don't, Lance Russell, cause you're one of them! You don't think I know the history of Memphis Wrasslin'? I remember back in the Ellis Auditorium, black folk were only allowed to sit up in the balcony and couldn't set ringside! What about that Lance Russell?"

Lance: "Well, that was a long time ago..."

Ladd: "Don't give me that nonsense. I'm an educated man and I don't get anything put over on me, ya hear?" "Back then it was segregation, but today it's so-called integration. But ya see, you can't pull one over on the Big Cat Ernie Ladd ya see. I see what's happening. Yes, black folks can sit wherever they want at the matches, but when it comes to wrestling in Memphis, you have to be an Uncle Tom like these fools I see here in Memphis like King Cobra, Sweet Daddy O, and that big dummy, Big Red. He goes by Big Red, but I call him the Big Dummy!

Marlin: "Ernie, you don't have any idea what you're talking about!"

Ladd: "What do you mean, I haven't said anything out here that isn't the truth." I'm the only black man willin' to stand up to you Memphis hillbillies and tell it like it is!"

Marlin: "Well, your history lesson is a little bit incomplete!"

Ladd: "What!?"

Marlin: "You heard me. You forgot to tell the people about how the black folk got to be UN-segragated."

"You just be quiet and let me talk. You had you're time out here, not let me finish the story, big man!" What you failed to mention is that a wrestler by the name of Sputnik Monroe ...

... that's right the people know, Sputnik Monroe was a champion of the blacks and he flat out refused to wrestle unless the black fans were allowed to sit wherever they wanted!"

Ladd: "That old has been Monroe don't mean nothing to me. He never did anything for the Big Cat Ernie Ladd, so why would I care anything about Sputnik Monroe who's probably sitting at home in his rocking chair drooling in his prune soup.!"

Marlin: "I doubt that very much. And another thing! You talk about the black wrestlers being Uncle Tom's, I don't know what that means to you, but unless it means working real hard and making something of themselves that these fans, black and white, can be proud of, then I don't think you got the whole story."

Ladd: "Eddie Marlin, you know as well as I do those Uncle Tom's had to mop the floors and shine you and Jerry Jarrett's shoes to get a job around here and you know it!"

Big Red who confronts Ladd and says he's full of crap and if he wants to settle it, we can do it in the ring. Ladd backs off>

Ladd: "...now isn't the time, but you'll be hearing from me you Big Dummy!

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Louisville Gardens/Evansville Coliseum: 7 Big Matches

Dave Brown: "In the ring at this time, from Portland, Oregon, Jesse Barr! And his opponent coming into the arena now, is The King! Jerry Lawler! This will be a one fall, expiration of time match. Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Lawler: "Lance, I just wanted to stop out here and apologize as that sure wasn't much of a gift Jimmy left ya was it?

Lance : "No, Jerry it most certainly was not."

Lawler: "Well, we'll just have to get rid of him just like we did that stinking Hart, but first I gotta take care of this punk."

Lance: "Alright, The King! making his way to the ring to take on tough Jesse Barr."

Match: Jerry "The King" Lawler v. Jesse Barr - Lawler wins by DQ after Sabu and the Bruise Brothers hit the ring. Rock-n-Roll Express make the save.

Lawler: "Let me tell you something Humperdink ... Or Humpty Dumpty Dink or whatever your name is, Hart may have signed over his goons to you, but you sure don't know what you got yourself into, brother. You just be there this Monday Night and you bring your goons with you and I'll bring the Rock and Roll Express and we'll see who's tough going up against one another face to face instead of back jumping like the fans just saw here.

Ricky Morton: "That's right, King. Humperdink! Bruise Bros.! The King will take care of that nasty Sabu, but he's gonna leave you punks to us and believe me, we're gonna Rock and Roll all night up across your head, Woo!

Lance Russell: "What a wild one we had going on today, Dave."

Dave Brown: "No question about it. We had Duke Myers pull over a somewhat tainted victory of Tommy Gilbert, Ernie Ladd downed the White Angel, and boy did he have a lot to say after that one. And as you saw just now a disqualification on Jesse Barr after the newly formed, or renamed I should say, House of Humperdink jumped in on Lawler"

Lance Russell: "Well, Ladies and Gentleman, that's all from us here. We sure hope you'll join us again next week for another Championship Wrestling. Lance Russell for Dave Brown; Goodbye everybody!

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 7/11/1983

Mid-South Coliseum

Memphis, TN

TONY ANTHONY defeated RICK ROOD

JAPANESE ASSASSINS defeated KING COBRA/SWEET DADDY O after King Cobra was pinned after salt thrown in his eyes by Goro Tsurumi

ERNIE LADD and BIG RED battled to a Double-DQ

BUDDY LANDELL defeated MIKE BOYETTE with roll up to retain the AWA International Title.

AUSTIN IDOL drew JESSE BARR and retained the Mid-America Title.

ROCK-N-ROLL EXPRESS defeated THE BRUISE BROS. to win the Southern Tag Titles after a double-drop kick on Cash.

JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER defeated SABU the WILD MAN by DQ to retain the Southern Heavyweight Title after the entire House of Humperdink jumped Lawler.

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 7/12/1983

Louisville Gardens

Louisville, KY

KING COBRA defeated DUKE MYERS w/Sir Oliver Humperdink by DQ when Humperdink interfered.
BIG RED/SWEET DADDY O defeated ERNIE LADD/JESSE BARR when Barr pinned Big Red. Ladd held Red's legs during the count.
JAPANESE ASSASSINS w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink defeated KEN RAPER/THE WHITE ANGEL when Magic Dragon pinned Raper.
DEBBIE COMBS/COWBOY LANG defeated LEILANI KAI/LITTLE TOKYO when Debbie Combs KO'ed Little Tokyo after he slapped her butt one time to many.
AUSTIN IDOL won an INVITATIONAL BATTLE ROYAL last eliminating Ladd.
SABU THE WILD MAN/BRUISE BROS. w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink defeated JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER/ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS after Sabu pinned Lawler after he was struck with Humperdink's walking stick by Pork Chop Cash.

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 7/13/1983

Evansville Coliseum

Evansville, Indiana

AUSTIN IDOL won an INVITATIONAL BATTLE ROYAL last eliminating Ladd.