Memphis

TravJ1979

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Championship Wrestling

[TAPED] Saturday, August 20, 1983
[sHOWN] Saturday, August 27, 1983 (Louisville/Evansville Market)
WMC Channel 5 Studios

VIDEO_TS-title-0-ch-0-frame-417.jpg

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown right along ringside and by golly we're ready to go with another big Championship Wrestling. Dave what do we got going on today?"

Dave Brown: "Well, Lance today we're gonna have 'The King' stopping by to talk about his ongoing feud with one, Mr. Ernie Ladd. From there the matches we have are Jesse Barr in singles action. Also, in tag action, The Japanese Assassins from the House of Humperdink and or Main event, 2/3 Falls, expiration of time match 'The King' Jerry Lawler teaming up with King Cobra taking on Sabu the Wildman and Duke Myers"

Lance Russell: "Okay everybody, we'll take a quick time out folks and we'll be back with our first match right after this, you won't wanna go away.

Lance Russell: "We're back and are first match is ready to go, Dave?"

Dave Brown: "In the ring right now hailing from Portland, Oregon and weighing in at 220 pounds, Jesse Barr; and his opponent, Ken Raper! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Jesse Barr defeats Ken Raper.

Lance: Well, Jesse you picked up a victory here today and last week you took it upon yourself to help another man get a victory, of course I'm talking about one, Buddy Landell. What was that all about?

Jesse: Lance, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Lance: You know exactly what I'm talking about, let's show the footage.

Lance: Now, Buddy what are you doing out here?

Landell: Well, Lance Russell, I came out here to clear my name as well as Mr. Barr's here. Ya see, what happened was, I was beating that Dirty White Boy's brains out and Jesse here saw that and came out with a chair ... he was gonna pull Tony out of the ring and let him sit a bit to catch his wind ...

Lance: Oh, Buddy. Of all the silly, cockamamie stories ... Of all the whoppers you've told out here, this one has got to top them all.

Landell: I don't like the way you're talking to me, Lance. I've done gave that boy opportunity after opportunity to take my belt, he hasn't got the job done. He just ain't got it. Jesse comes out to give him a chair to rest in, and the boy can't even do that right. Instead he slips, falls and cracks his head right into it. Now if ya don't mind I'd like to put that loser behind me, as it's time for me to give another greenhorn a shot at Buddy Landell.

Lance: Yeah, this coming week you'll be taking on the King Cobra, although I think you still haven't proven yourself against The Dirty White Boy.

Lance: Hey, Tony, now ... I know you're upset and you have every right, but lets not get anything started out here now ...

Anthony: Landell! You come out here running your mouth. I had you beat last week, and the week before that. If it wasn't for your cheating, and help with this punk over here, that belt would be around my waist!

Landell: I've done told you, you've received all the shots you're gonna get, the shots you didn't deserve in the first place.

Jesse: Hey, Anthony! You better stop worrying about Buddy and start worrying about Jesse Barr. Unless you forgot, I'm the one you're gonna have to deal with this week!

Anthony: That ain't gonna be no problem ...

King Cobra comes out to make the save>

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Arenas: 6 Big Matches

RICK ROOD/PAT ROSE vs. ABE JACOBS/KEN RAPER
SABU THE WILDMAN/DUKE MYERS vs. BRIAN ADIAS/MIKE BOYETTE
JESSE BARR vs. "DIRTY WHITE BOY" TONY ANTHONY
BUDDY LANDELL vs. KING COBRA for the AWA INTERNATIONAL TITLE
ROCK -N- ROLL EXPRESS vs. JAPANESE ASSASSINS in a TENNESSEE TORNADO TAG MATCH for the SOUTHERN TAG TITLES (RnR's Last Shot)
JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER/AUSTIN IDOL vs. ERNIE LADD/SONNY KING in a DOUBLE JEOPARDY MATCH

Dave Brown: "Entering the ring now, from the House of Humperdink, along with Sir Oliver Humperdink, The Japanese Assassins. Their opponents, Brian Adias and Mike Boyette. Your referee is Paul Morton.

Match: The Japanese Assassins defeat Adias and Boyette when Tsurumi pins Adias.

Humperdink: Get up here, Banana Nose! I've got something to say.

Lance: That sure doesn't surprise me one bit.

Humperdink: Don't you get smart with me.

Lance: Alright, Oliver, what do ya want?

Humperdink: It's finally here, Lance. This week is the week the House of Humperdink gets rid of those punks, The Rock and Roll Express once and for all. Eddie Marlin, showing his favoritism to those two pretty boys is giving them another shot, but I made sure it is their last shot!

Lance: Well, Oliver, I think the only reason you've gotten the best of them over the past few weeks is because of the heinous attack here on Ricky's right eye, throwing ink in it along with hiding under the ring during the cage match ... I think this week, in the Tennessee Tornado match, where anything goes, you're gonna have your hands full.

Humperdink: Ah, you're even more stupid than you look. My Assassins are killers. If there are no rules, that's where they are their best!

Morton: Lance, you just saw those two Japs and that fat grease ball run off like three whipped dogs! They say no rules is their specialty? What until they see me and Robert Rock and Roll all over their fat heads and beat them like their momma should have. Whoo!

Lance: Ricky and Robert! Ready for this week in the Tennessee Tornado Match! We'll be right back.

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Arenas: 6 Big Matches

RICK ROOD/PAT ROSE vs. ABE JACOBS/KEN RAPER
SABU THE WILDMAN/DUKE MYERS vs. BRIAN ADIAS/MIKE BOYETTE
JESSE BARR vs. "DIRTY WHITE BOY" TONY ANTHONY
BUDDY LANDELL vs. KING COBRA for the AWA INTERNATIONAL TITLE
ROCK -N- ROLL EXPRESS vs. JAPANESE ASSASSINS in a TENNESSEE TORNADO TAG MATCH for the SOUTHERN TAG TITLES (RnR's Last Shot)
JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER/AUSTIN IDOL vs. ERNIE LADD/SONNY KING in a DOUBLE JEOPARDY MATCH

Dave Brown: "In the ring at this time, representing the House of Humperdink, Sabu the Wildman and Duke Myers! And their opponents coming into the arena now, is The King! Jerry Lawler! and his tag team partner King Cobra! This will be a 2/3 falls, expiration of time match. Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Lawler: Lance, I just wanted to come over here and say that I am so sick and tired of Ladd and his group of crybabies. And this week, Austin Idol and myself have Ladd and Sonny King in a Double Jeopardy match. For you fans that don't know what that is, that's two matches going on at the same time in the same ring! That's right, The Universal Heart Throb, is gonna keep Sonny King out of my way while I get to concentrate on that tall, goofy velcro head, Ernie Ladd. The matches can only end by a pinfall or submission. Ladd! when you step in the ring this week with the King, brother, I'm gonna knock your lights out!

Match: Jerry "The King" Lawler/King Cobra and Sabu/Myers split a fall a piece.

Lance Russell: "Well, Ladies and Gentleman, we are flat outta time so we gotta get on outta here. Lance Russell for Dave Brown; Goodbye everybody!

Voice Over: "The announcers on this program are selected and paid by parties other than this station, namely, the promoters of Championship Wrestling."

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 8/22/1983 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN

[LIVE] 8/30/1983 Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY

[LIVE] 8/31/1983 Evansville Coliseum, Evansville, IN

RICK ROOD/PAT ROSE defeated ABE JACOBS/KEN RAPER

SABU THE WILDMAN/DUKE MYERS defeated BRIAN ADIAS/MIKE BOYETTE

JESSE BARR defeated "DIRTY WHITE BOY" TONY ANTHONY

BUDDY LANDELL defeated KING COBRA after using Brass Knux for the AWA INTERNATIONAL TITLE

ROCK -N- ROLL EXPRESS defeated JAPANESE ASSASSINS in a TENNESSEE TORNADO TAG MATCH to win the SOUTHERN TAG TITLES after Morton pinned Magic Dragon after a wild, bloody brawl.

JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER/AUSTIN IDOL defeated ERNIE LADD/SONNY KING in a DOUBLE JEOPARDY MATCH when Lawler pinned Ladd after a piledriver and Idol defeated King by CO.

Championship Wrestling

[sHOWN LIVE] 8/27/1983

[sHOWN TAPED] 9/3/1983 in Louisville/Evansville

MSC STUDIOS

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown with you here this Saturday morning gettin' ready for some Championship Wrestling! Dave, I believe we got a heck of a card going on today, am I right about that?"

Dave Brown: "You most certainly are Lance. Let me run down who we'll have here today. Big Sonny King will be taking on Brian Adias in our opening contest, The Bruise Brothers back in action as they'll be taking on Plow Boy Frazier and Ken Raper. And in our main event, "Nature Boy" Buddy Landell will be taking on the one and only, "Universal Heart Throb" Austin Idol!

Lance Russell: "Wow, that's one heck of a main event there I'll tell ya. Champion vs. Champion and it's surely something you won't wanna miss. We'll start this thing going right after this commercial break!"

Lance Russell: "We're back and ready to get started. Dave?"

Dave Brown: "In the ring now, Brian Adias! And making his way to the ring, accompanied by, Ernie Ladd, Sonny King! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Sonny King easily defeats Brian Adias

Ernie: Lance Russell! Get over here.

Lance: Alright, Ernie, just hold on a second.

Ernie: Lance Russell! Everybody seen what happened last week ...

Lance: Do you mean when the King pinned you in the Double Jeopardy Match?

Ernie: That's exactly what I'm talking about, but more importantly is HOW he won it! He used a piledriver, Lance Russell! A piledriver which is an illegal hold here in the state of Tennessee!

Lance: Well, Ernie, you are right about that ....

Ernie: I know I'm right, Lance Russell. But he used it, took the match and got away with it and we all know why. It's because the black man cannot get a fair shake in this hillbilly promotion with the likes of Lawler, Marlin and Jerry Jarrett!

Lance: C'mon, Ernie. Enough with that stuff now ...

Eddie Marlin>

Marlin: Ladd, I came out here to tell you that the referee's decision is final, and you can stop with all that racist talk!

Ernie: Eddie Marlin! I won't stop anything. You know it's the truth, now we've been through this before ...

Marlin: Alright, big shot. How's this for racist. I did say the referee's decision is final and it is, but Lawler did use an illegal hold to beat you last week, so I'm giving you a one-on-one match with Lawler, this week, but you will be putting up the Southern Heavyweight Title.

Ernie: That don't make no never mind to me, Eddie Marlin. But don't think this one smart decision you've made since I've been here makes up for all the years of black folk not getting a fair shake.

Marlin: Well, there is one more thing about this match. It's gonna have a special referee, a referee that will be fair and you won't be able to accuse of racism. Sputnik Monroe is gonna be the special referee for that match. Just come to wrestle big boy!

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 7 Big Matches

PLOW BOY FRAZIER vs. SIR OLIVER HUMPERDINK
BRUISE BROTHERS vs. ABE JACOBS/KEN RAPER
JAPANESE ASSASSINS vs. BRIAN ADIAS/MIKE BOYETTE
ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS vs. SABU THE WILD MAN/DUKE MYERS for the Southern Tag Team Titles.
TOMMY GILBERT/AUSTIN IDOL vs. SONNY KING/SWEET DADDY O
BUDDY LANDELL/JESSE BARR vs. KING COBRA/"DIRTY WHITE BOY" TONY ANTHONY
JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER vs. "BIG CAT" ERNIE LADD for the Southern Heavyweight Title. Sputnik Monroe special referee.

Dave Brown: "Entering the ring now, two members from the House of Humperdink, The Bruise Brothers. They are lead to the ring by Sir Oliver Humperdink. Their opponents, the team of, Plow Boy Frazier and Ken Raper. Your referee is Paul Morton.

Match: Bruise Brothers defeat Plow Boy Frazier and Ken Raper after Cash pins Raper. Plow Boy was distracted, chasing Humperdink around ringside.

Lance: The Bruise Bros with Oliver Humperdink gets the win over Plow boy Frazier and Ken Raper.

Humperdink: Of course we won. You know you're as stupid as you look. My boys have been sitting back long enough, it's time to get back to the top and regain those Southern Tag Titles. This week we'll whoop the boy we just took care of, Ken Doll or whatever his name is and "Ancient" Abe Jacobs. Lance, he's so old when god said let there be light, he flipped the switch, you know what I'm taking about.

Lance: That's real cute, Oliver, but I don't think you'll be laughing as don't you forget, you'll be taking on the 7 Foot Tall, 500 pound Plow Boy Frazier!

Humperdink: I'm not scared of that big idiot. He's so fat he about had a heart attack trying to catch me just now. People don't know this, but I can run the 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds

Lance: Oh, please ..

Humperdink: Shut up, Banana Nose. I'll race you right now! On second thought no I won't because you'd probably beat me ... your nose would cross the finish line before we even started

PLOW BOY FRAZIER vs. SIR OLIVER HUMPERDINK
BRUISE BROTHERS vs. ABE JACOBS/KEN RAPER
JAPANESE ASSASSINS vs. BRIAN ADIAS/MIKE BOYETTE
ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS vs. SABU THE WILD MAN/DUKE MYERS for the Southern Tag Team Titles.
TOMMY GILBERT/AUSTIN IDOL vs. SONNY KING/SWEET DADDY O
BUDDY LANDELL/JESSE BARR vs. KING COBRA/"DIRTY WHITE BOY" TONY ANTHONY
JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER vs. "BIG CAT" ERNIE LADD for the Southern Heavyweight Title. Sputnik Monroe special referee

Idol: Buddy! I know you were prepared to face me today, but something came up and I have to forfeit...But if it is okay with you I found a replacement. Are you willing to face my replacement here today on TV?

Idol: Okay, Lance you saw that. He said it was okay. Come on out ...

Dave Brown: "We're ready for our main event! It's a special challenge match. Already in the ring,from Knoxville, Tennessee your AWA International Champion, "Nature Boy" Buddy Landell! And heading to the ring now, King Cobra. Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Match: King Cobra pinned Buddy Landell in a non-title match.

Buddy: Lance Russell, I was cheated! I wasn't ready! I prepared for Idol not that punk Cobra!

Jesse Barr, comes out to calm him down and pull him away.

Lance Russell: "Big one here today, Dave."

Dave Brown: "Each and every week it just seems to get bigger and bigger." There was a bit of a change of plans in the main event, but boy is sure did turn out well for King Cobra as he pinned the champion, Buddy Landell! In earlier action, Sonny King took care of young, Brian Adias in short order, and The Bruise Brothers, on the comeback trail, defeated Plow Boy and Ken Raper.

Lance Russell: "Well folks, we'll see you again next week for another Championship Wrestling! Lance Russell for Dave Brown; Goodbye everybody!

Voice Over: "The announcers on this program are selected and paid by parties other than this station, namely, the promoters of Championship Wrestling."

I hope Ladd finally gets the respect that he is due around here. What that guy has to put up with! I fully expect Landell to get his revenge in a particularly nasty way. And there is no way Humperdink doesn't have a plan. Frazier is gonna have to fight off the House to get any kind of a real win.

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 8/29/1983 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN

[LIVE] 9/6/1983 Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY

[LIVE] 9/7/1983 Evansville Coliseum, Evansville, IN

PLOW BOY FRAZIER defeated SIR OLIVER HUMPERDINK with a big splash.

BRUISE BROTHERS defeated ABE JACOBS/KEN RAPER when Graham pinned Jacobs

JAPANESE ASSASSINS defeated BRIAN ADIAS/MIKE BOYETTE when Dragon pinned Adias

ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS defeated SABU THE WILD MAN/DUKE MYERS when Gibson pinned Myers. RNR retains the Southern Tag Team Titles.

SONNY KING/SWEET DADDY O defeated TOMMY GILBERT/AUSTIN IDOL when King pinned Gilbert

BUDDY LANDELL/JESSE BARR defeated KING COBRA/"DIRTY WHITE BOY" TONY ANTHONY when Landell pinned Cobra holding the tights

JERRY "THE KING" LAWLER pinned "BIG CAT" ERNIE LADD after a pile driver. Special Referee Sputnik Monroe was calling the match slightly in the favor of Ladd, but was hit by a stray punch allowing Lawler to hit the pile driver and forced Monroe to count the three. Lawler wins the Southern Heavyweight Title.

Championship Wrestling

[sHOWN LIVE] 9/3/1983

[sHOWN TAPED] 9/10/1983 in Louisville/Evansville

MSC STUDIOS

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown all ready to go with some Championship Wrestling! Dave, what do we got for the folks today?

Dave Brown: "Well, Lance, three big matches today. First we have The House of Humperdink's big Duke Myers and he'll be taking on a newcomer to the area. He calls himself, "The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo. From there we have the NEW Southern Heavyweight Title holder, Jerry "The King" Lawler joining us as he'll be taking on Sweet Daddy O. And are you ready for this one, Lance? A big six-man tag, 2 out of 3 falls match. "Nature Boy" Buddy Landell, Sonny King, and Jesse Barr taking on the "Universal Heart Throb" Austin Idol, King Cobra, and "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony!

Lance Russell: "Holy cow! Boy, I can't wait to see that as I'm sure you folks can't either so let's take this quick commercial break and come right back to it!"

Dave Brown: "In the ring now "The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo! And making his way to the ring, accompanied by Sir Oliver Humperdink, Duke Myers! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Duke Myers easily defeats Jose Poffo

> After the match, Lance comes out to the front of the desk to prepare for an interview.

Lance: Folks, right now we're gonna have a man come out, he's the NEW Southern Heavyweight Champion, "The King" Jerry Lawler!

> Lawler walks out to loud cheers.

Lawler: Boy, Lance, that Poffo sure didn't turn out to be too fortunate now did he?

Lance: No, I'd say not.

>Before Lawler can begin his interview, out comes Humperdink.

Lance: Now, Oliver, this is Jerry's time to come out here and address the fans, what are you doing out here?

Lawler: Yeah, Humpty Dumpty, you know I'm the King and I'm not gonna send any horses or men out here to put you back together again if I decide to beat the tar outta you!

Humperdink: That's real cute, Lawler, real cute. I'm out here to talk to you, big man. Last week you regained that title from Ernie Ladd by using an illegal hold! The pile driver is not legal here in Memphis and that makes two weeks in a row you used it!

Lawler: I don't know what you're talking about, Humperdink. Listen here, I beat Ladd, Sputnik Monroe counted the three so just shut your mouth about things that are none of your business. On second thought, why don't you just shut your mouth anyway!

Humperdink: Oh that Monroe and his dementia couldn't referee a match if his life depended on it.

Lance: Oliver, you don't even represent Ladd so why are you making such a deal about it? He's not one of your men.

Humperdink: That's right. Ladd isn't one of my men. If he were I wouldn't have let such an injustice happen! What I do know is that he's home right now, in a neck brace, because of what this punk did to him! However, it just so happens that I do have a man that I've brought in specifically to deal with you, Mr. Lawler! I spoke with "The Big Cat" and told him my plans and he was all for it. You want to use the pile driver, you want to win your matches with it, well let me introduce you to "Mr. Pile Driver" Bob Sweetan!

> Sweetan comes out to boos and joins Humperdink.

Humperdink: What do you have to say now, Lawler?! Why don't you wrestle my man, "Mr. Pile Driver" Bob Sweetan this week with the pile driver hold being legal and the only way to win the match is to finish off your opponent with it? Huh? What do ya say, Lawler?

Lawler: Well, if you'd shut up I'd say that Sweetan here looks like he fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

> Sweetan lunges towards Lawler, but Humperdink restrains him.

Humperdink: Hold on, Bob. How 'bout it, Lawler? You gonna accept this challenge or what?

Lawler: Listen here, fat boy! I accept your challenge with you and this big goof here and when I'm done delivering the pile driver it might just knock the ugly right out of him!

> Lawler walks to the ring to loud cheers

Tommy Gilbert v. Sweet Daddy O
Plow Boy Frazier v. Sabu the Wildman
Japanese Assassins and Duke Myers v. Brian Adias/"The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo/Mike Boyette
Bruise Brothers v. Rock-N-Roll Express in a non-title match.
Buddy Landell/Sonny King v. King Cobra/"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony
. If Cobra or Anthony pin Buddy, they get a title shot. If Landell/King win, the loser of the fall gets his head shaved.
Jesse Barr v. Austin Idol for the NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title.
Jerry "The King" Lawler v. "Mr. Piledriver" Bob Sweetan w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink for the Southern Heavyweight Title.

Dave Brown: "In the ring now, "The KING" Jerry Lawler. His opponent, Sweet Daddy O. Your referee is Paul Morton.

Match: A few minutes into the match, Sweetan jumps in on Lawler and he and Sweet Daddy O work him over. Sweetan delivers two pile drivers to the king before the locker room clears.

Humperdink: How you like that, Lance Russell! What do you think of the King now?

Lance: Well it sure is easy to jump a guy from behind and then have someone like Sweet Daddy helping you out!

Humperdink: Oh, shut up, Banana Nose. You don't know anything. My man, "Mr. Pile Driver" Bob Sweetan laid him out with two pile drivers! He's the KING of the pile driver Look ...

>Humperdink points to the ring as they are carrying Lawler out on a stretcher.

Humperdink: Look! Lawler is going out on a stretcher, I bet he can't even make it to his match this week! If not, Eddie Marlin better hand over that Southern Heavyweight Title! I know that much! He's already sticking it to the House of Humperdink by making my boys' The Bruise Brothers match with those two scrawny geeks, The Rock and Roll Express a non-title match, but I assure you we will get our shot! And as for the Southern Title, well, look at Lawler, it's as good as ours!

Tommy Gilbert v. Sweet Daddy O
Plow Boy Frazier v. Sabu the Wildman
Japanese Assassins and Duke Myers v. Brian Adias/"The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo/Mike Boyette
Bruise Brothers v. Rock-N-Roll Express in a non-title match.
Buddy Landell/Sonny King v. King Cobra/"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony
. If Cobra or Anthony pin Buddy, they get a title shot. If Landell/King win, the loser of the fall gets his head shaved.
Jesse Barr v. Austin Idol for the NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title.
Jerry "The King" Lawler v. "Mr. Piledriver" Bob Sweetan w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink for the Southern Heavyweight Title

Dave Brown: "We're ready for our main event! It's a big six man, 2 out of three falls match. It's going to be an expiration of time match. The first team, entering the ring now, "Universal Heart Throb" Austin Idol, King Cobra, and the "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony! Their opponents "Nature Boy" Buddy Landell, Sonny King and Jesse Barr Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Match: 1st Fall: Sonny King pins King Cobra as Landell holds his leg, preventing him from kicking out.

2nd Fall: "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony pins Buddy Landell with a roll up.

3rd Fall: King Cobra covers Buddy after a missile drop kick and the ref counts 1 ...2.... All six men enter the ring and a huge melee breaks out, referee gets knocked out, chairs are flying. King and Barr get Cobra held down and Landell pulls a small pair of scissors out of his boot and snips a small bit of Cobra's hair before Idol and Anthony breaks it up and the brawl continues as Lance says ...

Lance Russell: Folks, we're gonna have to leave you this week, we aren't able to get any control here and we are out of time. For Dave Brown I'm Lance Russell saying Goodbye, everybody."

Championship Wrestling
[LIVE] 9/5/1983 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
[LIVE] 9/13/1983 Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY
[LIVE] 9/14/1983 Evansville Coliseum, Evansville, IN
Tommy Gilbert defeated Sweet Daddy O

Sabu the Wildman defeated Plow Boy Frazier after Humperdink blinded Frazier with powder

Japanese Assassins and Duke Myers defeated Brian Adias/"The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo/Mike Boyette when Tsurumi pinned Poffo.

Bruise Brothers defeated Rock-N-Roll Express in a non-title match when Graham pinned Morton
King Cobra/"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony defeated Buddy Landell/Sonny King when Cobra pinned Landell after a missile drop kick. Per match stipulation, Cobra gets an International Title shot next week.
Jesse Barr defeated Austin Idol for the NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title

Jerry "The King" Lawler (in a neck brace) defeated "Mr. Piledriver" Bob Sweetan after a pile driver on the ring bell. After the match, Lawler pile drove Humperdink causing him to be stretchered out. Lawler retains the Southern Heavyweight Title.

• 2 weeks later...

Championship Wrestling

[sHOWN LIVE] 9/10/1983

[sHOWN TAPED] 9/17/1983 in Louisville/Evansville

MSC STUDIOS

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown all ready to go with some Championship Wrestling! Dave, what do we got for the folks today?

Dave Brown: "Well, Lance, three big matches today. First we have Sonny King taking on Tommy Gilbert. From there we have an interview with "The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo, who requested some time before he takes on International Champion, Buddy Landell here today. And in our main event we have "THE KING" Jerry Lawler as he takes on yet another House of Humperdink member, Magic Dragon of the Japanese Assassins.

Lance Russell: "Man I'll tell ya, Humperdink sure does have his mind set on The King. Okay, sounds like a great show folks, and we'll get her started right after this quick break"

Dave Brown: "In the ring now, from Lexington, Tennessee, Tommy Gilbert! And making his way to the ring, accompanied by Ernie Ladd and Sweet Daddy O, Big Sonny King! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun.

Match: Sonny King defeats Tommy Gilbert

> Sonny King walks to the desk to greet Ladd and O.

Ladd: "Lance Russell, what do you say about Mr. Sonny King? He easily took care of that fool Tommy Gilbert."

Russell: "Yeah, Ernie, Sonny King sure did pick up the victory."

Ladd: "Easily too, wouldn't you say?"

Russell: "Well, I guess you could call it that, yes."

Ladd: "That's exactly right! If I were to wrestle Tommy Gilbert, I'd beat him just as easily."

Russell: "Ernie, what are you getting at here?"

Ladd: "All I'm saying, Lance Russell, is that to men like myself and Sonny King, Tommy Gilbert is of no competition. Now tell me, Lance Russell, who did Tommy Gilbert wrestle last week at the arenas?"

Russell: "Uhm, Sweet Daddy ..."

Ladd: "Sweet Daddy O. That is exactly right! And who won those matches, Lance Russell?"

Russell: "Tommy Gilbert won those matches, Ernie."

Ladd: "Yes. Tommy Gilbert won. Now how is it that a man that is of no competition to myself or Sonny King can win a match against Sweet Daddy O?"

Russell: "Well, Ernie, matches can go either way now ..."

Ladd: "You don't understand me, Lance Russell. Let me ask the question of Sweet Daddy himself. How is it that you lose to that bum?"

Daddy O: "Ernie, I ..."

Ladd: "I'll tell you why. You are worthless! I thought as a black man, the reason you were rolling around in obscurity is because of the blatant racism around here. Come to find out, you where right were you belonged!"

Daddy O: "Wait a minute, Ladd ..."

Ladd: "No, you wait a minute. You heard what I said. Sonny and I were talking and realized that I picked you up and as a show of solidarity with my fellow brothers we were going to watch each others back and take over Memphis. It wasn't until Sonny joined me that I woke up and realized you are nothing more than a bum and have done nothing! Where were you when Lawler was using that illegal pile driver on me? Nowhere! It worked out though because it gave me time to sit at home and rethink my whole outlook. Now that I'm back, Mr. Oliver Humperdink has promised to take care of Lawler which frees me up to make changes -- changes to the Ladd Army. And Boy, consider yourself dishonorably discharged!"

Russell: "Finally, Tommy Gilbert out to help Sweet Daddy O from 'Ladd's Army' as he now calls it, brother, let's take a quick break"

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 8 Big Matches

Ken Raper/Brian Adias v. Scott Ferris/Mike Boyette

Duke Myers v. "The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo

"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony v. Sabu the Wild Man

Ernie Ladd/Sonny King v. Sweet Daddy O/Tommy Gilbert

Jesse Barr v. Austin Idol for NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title.

King Cobra v. Buddy Landell for International Title.

Rock and Roll Express v. Bruise Brothers for Southern Tag Titles.

Jerry Lawler/Plow Boy Frazier v. Japanese Assassins - Southern Heavyweight Title vs. 5 minutes w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink.

Russell: "Before our next match, newcomer Jose Poffo has requested some time to talk to us today. Jose how are you?"

Poffo: "Gracias, Lance. I am good, bien"

Russell: "So, Jose, what do you have on your mind?"

Poffo: "Well, Lance, I'm new to the area of Memphis and thought I could get a chance to know the fans and have the fans get to know me so I wanted to announce a feat of strength and endurance that I'm going to attempt here next week, right here in the studio."

Russell: "Okay, well, Jose, that's interesting. What, by chance do you have in mind?"

Poffo: "People may not know, but, mi padre, my father, was a wrestler. He also held a record of doing six thousand and thirty-three situps in just over four hours."

Russell: "My gollie, six thousand and ...thirty-three did you say?"

Poffo: "Si, Yes."

Russell: "So let me ask, what are you planning on doing?"

Poffo: "Well, to show the fans that I am a physically fit wrestler ready to give my all to them, I'm going to attempt 6,034 right here next week!"

Russell: "That sure is a heck of an idea and I'm sure we'll look forward to it ..."

Landell: "Lance Russell, I'm sitting in the back and hearing this. Look, nobody cares about situps and even less people care about "The illegitimate Son" Jose Cuervo ..."

Russell: "Now c'mon, Buddy. That's Jose Poffo ..."

Landell: "Like I said, nobody cares, Lance. Now listen, boy. We have a match to get to so let's get to it."

Poffo: "Senor, Landell! I'm about to show you how many people care!"

Dave Brown: "I think we're ready for our next match here. Both men getting into the ring now, Buddy Landell taking on 'The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo! Your referee is Paul Morton."

Match: Buddy Landell defeats Jose Poffo in under a minute.

Landell: "See that, Lance Russell? That's exactly what is going to happen to King Cobra this week. I'm gonna beat him so bad he'll think he's a garden snake!"

>> Lance Russell runs down the card for the Mid-South Coliseum: 8 Big Matches

Ken Raper/Brian Adias v. Scott Ferris/Mike Boyette

Duke Myers v. "The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo

"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony v. Sabu the Wild Man

Ernie Ladd/Sonny King v. Sweet Daddy O/Tommy Gilbert

Jesse Barr v. Austin Idol for NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title.

King Cobra v. Buddy Landell for International Title.

Rock and Roll Express v. Bruise Brothers for Southern Tag Titles.

Jerry Lawler/Plow Boy Frazier v. Japanese Assassins - Southern Heavyweight Title vs. 5 minutes w/ Sir Oliver Humperdink.

Dave Brown: "We're ready for our main event! It's gonna be a one fall, exipration of time match. Coming to the ring, accompanied by, Sir Oliver Humperdink, from the House of Humperdink, and one-half of the Japanese Assassins, Magic Dragon! His opponent, Southern Heavyweight Champion, "The King" Jerry Lawler! Your referee is Jerry Calhoun."

Match: Jerry Lawler defeats Magic Dragon by DQ after Goro Tsurumi runs in and the Dragons along with Humperdink beat Lawler down. Plow Boy Frazier comes out and cleans house.

Lawler: "Humperdink, you and your goons want to jump me? You couldn't get Sweetan to keep me down, and you won't get those Dragons to do it either! You've done jumped on the wrong horse, son! I see the problems you've been giving Plow Boy, and now you've dug yourself a hole you aren't going to be able to get out of. We'll see you this week, punk!"

Lance Russell: Folks, what a show we had today. Boy Dave, I'll tell ya, it just gets weirder and weirder.

Dave Brown: "It sure does, Lance. Let's wrap it up here by recapping today's events with the folks at home. First we had Sonny King over Tommy Gilbert and after the match Ladd and King turning against Sweet Daddy O who luckily was helped out by Tommy Gilbert. From there we had a somewhat unusual talk with Jose Poffo, "The Fortunate Son" as he calls himself before his match with Landell who took him out in flat under a minute. What a win that was. And, of course, what you just saw transpire as the Japanese Assassins and Humperdink jumped in on Lawler, causing the King to get a DQ victory.

Lance Russell: "What a week it's gonna be at the arena. Until then, I'm Lance Russell for Dave Brown saying Goodbye, everybody."

Championship Wrestling

[LIVE] 9/12/1983 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN

[LIVE] 9/20/1983 Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY

[LIVE] 9/21/1983 Evansville Coliseum, Evansville, IN

Ken Raper/Brian Adias defeated Scott Ferris/Mike Boyette when Adias pinned Ferris

Duke Myers defeated "The Fortunate Son" Jose Poffo in 6 seconds.

"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony defeated Sabu the Wild Man

Ernie Ladd/Sonny King defeated Sweet Daddy O/Tommy Gilbert when Ladd pinned O

Jesse Barr drew Austin Idol for NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title.

Buddy Landell defeated King Cobra to retain the International Title. After the match Landell shaved half of Cobra's head until Anthony made the save.

Rock and Roll Express defeated the Bruise Brothers to retain the Southern Tag Titles when Gibson pinned Graham.

Japanese Assassins NC Jerry Lawler/Plow Boy Frazier when Frazier turned on Lawler and a 4-on-1 beat down ensued.

I know we've had some discussion about consistency... and you've been a model promoter here with Memphis. You've got a fun group of individuals to work with and with the King on top, all the other pawns if you will fall into place. I particularly would like to see more of the Big Cat, but the Mid South in me continues to bleed through. I am also interested to see some teams come in against the RnR and how they will be utilized much like the RoadWarriors of the AWA. Keep doin work!