Ric Flair defeated The Iron Sheik

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1348126370_7656_NWA%20logo.jpg?itok=1Waj

220px-Jim_Crockett_Promotions_%28logo%29

23msj8o.jpg

Jim Crockett Promotions in compliance with the National Wrestling Alliance presents: Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling from The Civic Center in Ashville, North Carolina with your hosts Bob Caudle & David Crockett!

Bob+and+David.JPG

Bob Caudle: Welcome ladies and gentlemen to Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling! I am Bob Caudle alongside David Crockett. David, tonight, we have second round action in the NWA World Tag Team Championship tournament. We have three of those big matches here tonight.

David Crockett: That’s right Bob. We continue to showcase talent from across the world right here in Mid Atlantic and that is going to be shown in our first contest.

Bob: Fans we are going to have a great night of action with those three tag title tournament matches, plus we will have the debut of Dr. D, Dave Schultz!

David: Everyone has been anticipating his arrival and it is here tonight!

Bob: Well David, it is time for our first match up… featuring one of the teams that received a bye last week and one of the most exciting duos in the Mid Atlantic area… let’s go to the ring!

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT

Tommy Rogers & Hector Guerrero (JCP) vs The Midnight Express (IWAM)

{What a fun opener with some great pacing. Rogers and Guerrero show some great teamwork but Rose and Condrey are two of the best in the world right now. Rose and Condrey work the crowd as Bob and David say they may run right through the tournament. We get a solid 9 minutes of action before Rogers is thrown into the ring post leading to a double-team on Guerrero and a big double FLAPJACK for the 1…2…3! The Midnights move on to the semi-finals! Rose and Condrey work the crowd and look strong going into the next round. We will find out who they will be facing on this broadcast.}

0denniscondryrandyrosemidnightx_zpsee72b

*COMMERCIAL*

Bob: Ladies and gentlemen welcome back to MACW. David, The Midnight Express looked very strong here tonight… could they make a run?

David: Without a doubt, they are going to have a tough road in front of them, but they have a lot of experience.

Bob: Well they will be facing the winner of our next contest… both of these teams are regulars around here and also some of the favorites to go on to win the world titles.

David: I think the thing about this next contest is family… it is truly a situation of blood being thicker than water. The Vachons are brothers and will fight to the end… and the Freebirds, they have run together since day one.

Bob: This is going to be a fun contest… wait just a moment… what, what is going on here?!

{All of a sudden the Iron Sheik is shown walking on to the stage.}

Iron_Sheik.jpg

Bob: What are you doing here?

The Iron Sheik: You listen to me Bob Caudle… you listen to me David Crockett…

David: We’ve got a world tag title tournament match coming up… we don’t have time for this…

The Iron Sheik: I will tell you what you have time for. I have no time for Ric Flair. Ric Flair… I spit on you! This Saturday night, I see you in Charlotte, North Carolina… I see you inside the steel! I am going to make you bloody mess!

David: Can someone get this guy out of here?

{Security comes in and removes the Sheik who is raising hell the entire way out. We then cut to the ring as the Freebirds get an amazing ovation!}

The Fabulous Freebirds (JCP) vs The Vachons (JCP)
{What an ovation for the Freebirds. It is Hayes and Roberts again for the Freebirds and the Vachons go right after them. Gordy joins David and Bob in the commentary booth and puts over the Television Championship along with the Tag Titles. Butcher and Mad Dog really look strong here tonight and it is taking everything the Freebirds have to stay in the contest. Roberts takes a brunt of the beating but the fans stay behind him. Then out of nowhere he nails a huge dropkick on Butcher as he falls back into the corner. Here comes Mad Dog but Roberts tags in Michael Hayes! PS comes in like a ball of fire! The fans are just going wild right now as Hayes is nailing some big rights and lefts and then a moonwalk into a huge clothesline! Here comes Butcher and Hayes ducks a line and then comes with a sharp left hand that sends Butcher out of the ring to the floor! Mad Dog runs at Hayes again but he ducks and Mad Dog hits the turnbuckle and turns around… PS grabs him for a DDT! 1….2….3!!! THE FREEBIRDS HAVE WON IT! They will go on to face the Midnight Express next week. Hayes and Roberts celebrate with Gordy, as they are strong favorites right now heading into that big contest. The Vachons are regrouping. We will have more action when we come back!}

hqdefault.jpg

*COMMERCIAL*

{We return to MACW with footage of last weeks match between Barry Darsow and Brad Rhenigans taking on the Russians. We see Darsow turn his back on Rhenigans leading to the Russians getting the victory. David and Bob put it over as we head to the ring for the next match…}

Bob Bradley vs Barry Darsow
{Pretty simple showcase for Darsow who is now wearing red and being a little more vocal. Bradley does his best, but Darsow has a whole new level of intensity right now. The Powerslam is the finishing touch as Darsow gets the 1…2….3! He is getting a good reaction from the crowd as they are booing up a storm… we see him walk over to David and Bob…}

BarryDarsow3.jpg

Bob: Can we help you Barry Darsow?

Barry Darsow: You listen to me right now Bob Caudle… I am here to explain my actions last week. You see I saw the shining light at the end of the tunnel… it wasn’t red, white, and blue, it was simple red. I have been seeing red since I came to the Mid Atlantic area, and when you have good for nothing lugs like Brad Rhenigans as a partner, you learn that you have to do more than you bargained for. Rhenigans, you like all these bafoons out here are simpletons who have no clue what it means to fight.

David: You have got to be kidding me Darsow!

Barry Darsow: You shut your mouth too Crockett. It is because of people like you that I have to play the pony show for all these idiotic people! You people can’t and don’t respect who I am. People like Nikolai Volkoff and Chris Markoff… they understand and know what patriotism is really all about…

{Wait just a moment… here comes Brad Rhenigans is here!}

bradrheingans.jpg

Brad Rhenigans: Darsow… you better shut your mouth before I do it for you!

{The crowd pops!}

Brad Rhenigans: What you did to me last week was a testament of just how low you are! I am out here to tell you and all these people that I am going to make you pay for what you did!

Barry Darsow: You don’t even get it Rhenigans! You will never get it! You are scum just like all of these people!

{OH MY! Nikolai Volkoff and Chris Markoff from behind! They jump Rhenigans! They are stomping away at him! Darsow is joining in on this fight! The fans are irate!}

*COMMERCIAL*

{MACW returns as we see footage from the previous segment and the Russian beatdown on Brad Rhenigans. We then cut to the ring for our third tag title tournament contest…}

Toshiaki Kawada & Mitsuhara Misawa (All-Japan) vs The Russians (JCP)

{Perhaps the hardest hitting contest of the tournament thus far. Misawa and Kawada are coming off a huge “victory” over Brody and Hansen last week. David and Bob put over how they spent some time recovering after that contest and went on tour on Monday and Tuesday. They show some signs of that brawl last week but have really come to fight. The fans seem to be behind them but the Russians are getting so much heat right now. Darsow is out there cheering them on. Misawa then comes with some HUGE forearms on Markoff and he is stumbling around. Nikolai runs at Misawa who ducks and Kawada with a flying shoulder block! This could be it! The crowd is going wild! Darsow then grabs the referee as Markoff gets that damned Russian Chain and HAMMERS KAWADA FROM BEHIND! Misawa tackles him out of the ring but Nikolai pins Kawada for the 1…2…3! The Russians are moving on! The fans are irate right now! Darsow and company are cheering like they won the titles already! Bob and David put over the contest and say they still have a lot of work to do!}

559098_308783745913771_1752146924_n.jpg?nikolai-volkoff-hall-of-fame.png

*COMMERCIAL*

Bob: Fans we are back. We know that next week the Midnight Express will be taking on The Fabulous Freebirds. We know the Russians will be taking on the winner of the Andersons vs Bulldogs contest happening this Saturday from Charlotte.

David: That card is going to be something special. Also on that card, we will see Brad Rhenigans taking on Barry Darsow, and Terry Gordy will be defending his Television Championship against Mad Dog Vachon!

Bob: Of course we heard about the big main event… Ric Flair taking on The Iron Sheik inside a steel cage.

David: How about this next guy… he will be there live and in living color… he is the Doctor… Dr. D, Dave Schultz!

Bob: He is making his MACW television debut… let’s go to the ring!

Dr. D Dave Schultz vs Rudy Diamond
{Dr. D comes out to an awesome ovation from the crowd! He is double tough and without a doubt a fan favorite right now. Rudy Diamond brings a nice fight but the Doctor is on call right now and there is not a chance in hell for Mr. Diamond. We see a HUGE piledriver by Schultz that leads to the 1…2…3! Schultz walks over to the announcer’s booth…}

Bob: Welcome in here Dr. D… we have been seeing a lot of videos in preparation for your arrival here…

DavidSchultz_zpsa8253224.jpg

Dr. D: Well Bob Caudle… it has been a long time coming for the Doctor baby! I have sat back and watched this sport turn into something that makes my stomach turn. You’ve got guys who are movers and shakers. You’ve got guys who like to bounce around and dance around… well lemme tell you something jack… you won’t see the Doctor dancing around. You won’t see me in any flashy outfits. You are going to see fight, fight , fight brother.

David: Well Dr. D, what are your plans here in MACW?

Dr. D: First things first jack… there is a man out there who holds a title… a certain United States Championship! Now Greg Valentine… you are public enemy number one on the doctor’s list…when I get my hands on you… I am going to bring that US title right back here where it belongs!

{The crowd then pops as Ric Flair walks out to join Schultz…}

Bob: Well, Ric Flair… thank you for joining us…

RicFlair4.jpg

Ric Flair: Let me begin by shaking your hand Dr. D. For a long time, you have been the measuring stick for toughness in the world of wrestling… without a doubt… you haven’t lost a touch. Now I’ve got two things to talk about… the first being this Saturday night, the Iron Sheik and I are going to be locked inside a steel cage in Charlotte, North Carolina… Sheik… when that cage is locked… you are going to be in for a world of hurt pal! I am going to dog you like you’ve never had before!

{The crowd pops as a Flair chant breaks out…}

Ric Flair: The next thing on my mind is what Dr. D was talking about. On the 30th of July…. In Greensboro… a couple of guys from Canada are coming down here to our country… they are coming down for an American fight. One of those guys is Rick Martel. Now let me start by saying Rick Martel is one of the toughest competitors in the world right now… but he is no Ric Flair. You are looking at the best in the business and it is only going to be a matter of time before I’ve got that World Title back around my waist! So everyone in the Mid Atlantic area get ready because when it comes to the Freebirds… Dr. D… and Ric Flair… haha… the sky is the limit! WOOOO!

Bob: Well thank you gentlemen for joining us… fans next week we will see the semi-finals of the NWA World Tag Team Title tournament plus much more! Thank you for joining us right here on Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling!

1xWCz6Y.png

Saturday July 23rd 1983

MACW Live from the Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina

The Tonga Kid defeated Steve Estes

Joe Lightfoot, Tommy Rogers, & Hector Guerrero defeated Tony Zane, Bill White, & Tiger Williams

Brad Rhenigans defeated Barry Darsow via Count Out

Dr. D Dave Schultz defeated Butcher Vachon

ELIMINATION MATCH

The Russians defeated the Fabulous Freebirds with help from Barry Darsow

- During the contest, it appears as thought Buddy Roberts was injured by Darsow outside of the ring. He was grasping his shoulder upon the conclusion of the contest.

NWATV.png

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

Terry Gordy © defeated Mad Dog Vachon

The British Bulldogs (Stamp) defeated The Andersons (WWF/ICW)

MAIN EVENT

CAGE MATCH

Ric Flair defeated The Iron Sheik in a bloody cage match that went 25 minutes. Flair forced the Sheik to tap out to the Figure Four Leg Lock as the Charlotte crowd went wild.

Sunday July 24th1983

MACW Live from Legion Stadium in Wilmington, North Carolina

The Tonga Kid defeated Doug Vines

Hector Guerrero & Tommy Rogers defeated Steve Estes & Tiger Williams

Barry Darsow defeated Brad Rhenigans when the Russians served as a distraction

Dr. D Dave Schultz defeated Chris Markoff

The Iron Sheik defeated Bill White

Michael Hayes defeated Nikolai Volkoff

NWATV.png

Terry Gordy © defeated Butcher Vachon

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Mad Dog Vachon

Monday July 25th 1983

MACW Live from the Dorton Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina

Scott Casey & Joe Lightfoot defeated Bob Bradley & Doug Vines

The Tonga Kid defeated Bill White

Barry Darsow defeated Rudy Diamond

Hector Guerrero & Tommy Rogers defeated Steve Estes & Tony Zane

Dr. D Dave Schultz defeated Butcher Vachon

Brad Rhenigans, Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy defeated the Russians & The Iron Sheik via botched interference from Barry Darsow!

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Mad Dog Vachon via DQ

Tuesday July 26th 1983

MACW Live from the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg, South Carolina

Joe Lightfoot defeated Tony Zane

The Tonga Kid defeated Tiger Williams

Mad Dog Vachon defeated Hector Guerrero

Tommy Rogers defeated Butcher Vachon

The Russians defeated Brad Rhenigans & Scott Casey

Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen defeated Barry Windham & Magnum TA

MAIN EVENT

Dr. D Dave Schultz defeated The Iron Sheik via DQ

Thursday July 28th 1983

MACW Television Taping from The Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT SEMI-FINAL MATCHES

The Fabulous Freebirds (JCP) vs The Midnight Express (IWAM)

The British Bulldogs (Stampede) vs The Russians (JCP)

Plus TWO huge GRUDGE MATCHES!

Brad Rhenigans vs Barry Darsow

Dr. D Dave Schultz vs Butcher Vachon

SIX-MAN TAG TEAM ACTION

Featuring The Tonga Kid, Tommy Rogers, & Hector Guerrero

Plus Ric Flair will be in the arena and we will hear from Rick Martel & Greg Valentine from Maple Leaf Wrestling!

I'm enjoying Mid Atlantic as much as I enjoy watching it today. To be in Raliegh on the 17th for Bruiser & Hansen vs Flair and Piper. Don't know if it went under the radar but Windham and Magnum in Mid Atlantic is going to be hot, hopefully it's for a while.

Friday July 29th 1983

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling Live from County Hall in Charleston, South Carolina

The Tonga Kid defeated Ben Alexander

Hector Guerrero & Tommy Rogers defeated Bob Bradley & Tony Zane

Scott Casey defeated Tiger Williams

The Iron Sheik defeated Mr. Wrestling II

The Russians defeated Brad Rhenigans & Michael Hayes

Terry Gordy defeated Don Muraco

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair & Dr. D Dave Schultz defeated The Vachons

23msj8o.jpg

Jim Crockett Promotions in compliance with the National Wrestling Alliance presents: Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling from the Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia with your hosts Bob Caudle & David Crockett!

Bob+and+David.JPG

Bob Caudle: Welcome ladies and gentlemen to Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling! I am Bob Caudle alongside David Crockett and we are coming to you from the Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia. David…. We’ve got TWO huge NWA World Tag Team Title Tournament matches tonight as we find out who will fight for the titles live this Saturday from Greensboro.

David Crockett: Bob, what a night that is going to be this Saturday. We will talk more about that card in just a moment, but you are right, two big semi-final contests tonight, plus we have six-man tag team action, Brad Rhenigans taking on Barry Darsow, and in the main event… Dr. D Dave Schultz taking on Butcher Vachon.

Bob: Fans this is truly the best there is in professional wrestling and you are about to see it all right here on MACW. For weeks now we have been watching this world tag team title tournament unfold and David, it is down to four teams!

David: You are talking about four of the best right now in the NWA and in the world. I think we are going to be pleased with any of these teams walking out with the titles this Saturday in Greensboro!

Bob: I look at who we have left, the Bulldogs, the Russians, The Freebirds, and the Midnight Express. Each of these teams have been together for a while and know what to expect in that ring. I think that will end up being the tell-tale sign when it comes to it.

David: I look at how these four teams got to this point. I definitely think that the Bulldogs have got a ton of momentum... but the Russians have that little snake in the grass Barry Darsow.

Bob: How about the Midnight Express, they had a bye and then defeated Hector Guerrero and Tommy Rogers a week ago. They are coming in fresh while the Freebirds may have some issues to deal with tonight.

David: Well this past weekend, in Charlotte, Darsow helped the Russians win an elimination match with the Freebirds and by doing so, he may have taken Buddy Roberts out of the picture.

Bob: Well we will find out more about that later on this evening, right now let’s go to the ring for our first big contest…

{We see a little highlight video showcasing each teams run to this moment. The Bulldogs defeated the Zambuie Express and the Andersons. The Russians defeated Barry Darsown & Brad Rhenigans and Mitsuhara Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada. The winner goes to Greensboro…}

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP SEMI-FINALS
The British Bulldogs (Stamp) vs The Russians (JCP)

{Bob and David put over the paths that both of these individuals took to get to the semi-finals. Bob puts over how the Russians have a comrade in Barry Darsow who has done everything but join the match to help the Russians win throughout this tournament. The British Bulldogs have got quite the following here in MACW since debuting a couple of weeks ago. Their huge win over the Andersons helped garner some major love from the crowd. The Russians have got some nice heat and they continue to work that into this contest. Markoff is doing everything he can in there but Dynamite and Davey Boy are at a whole different pace. Nikolai brings some good strength but the teamwork of the Bulldogs is something to behold! David and Bob say that the Bulldogs are going to the finals but that darn Barry Darsow is here… Davey Boy then jumps down and he stops it before it starts! He cracks Darsow with a huge right hand and sends him backwards! Davey Boy comes back up while the Russians work on double-teaming Dynamite. The Russians then nail a pair of elbows right to the neck and spine of Dynamite and put him down… they are looking to finish. It is a high/low with Nikolai hitting a HUGE RUSSIAN SICKLE! Davey Boy tries to get in the ring but Darsow grabs his leg as Nikolai gets the 1…2…3!! THE RUSSIANS HAVE WON IT! THE RUSSIANS ARE MOVING TO THE FINALS! The crowd is irate! The Russians go to the back while Darsow follows… what is to make of this relationship!?}

*COMMERCIAL*

Bob: Fans welcome back to Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling. David, I want to take a moment and talk about a couple of big up and coming athletes we have here in the area. Tonga Kid, Tommy Rogers, and Hector Guerrero.

David: These three young men are about as good as it gets for young talent. Tonga Kid from isle of Samoa, Tommy Rogers from Florida, and of course Hector Guerrero from Mexico and the famous Guerrero wrestling family.

Bob: All three of these men have got bright futures in the Mid Atlantic area, but which do you think will rise above the rest?

David: That’s an interesting situation… you have three men who are all pretty equal, but you know that the competition between the three of them will lead to something special.

Bob: Well it is certainly great to see them work together… they are in six-man action right now, let’s go to the ring!

The Tonga Kid, Tommy Rogers, & Hector Guerrero vs Tony Zane, Ben Alexander, & Tiger Williams

{A fun six-man with the young stars of MACW! Tonga, Rogers and Hector light up the crowd something special here tonight. Hector is the one who flies around and ends up with a huge Double Underhook Suplex on Zane for the 1…2…3! These three get enough time to showcase their talent, but they are all fighting to see just who is the best. Bob and David gush over these guys something big… the future is bright!}

*COMMERCIAL*

{MACW returns with footage of recent events involving Barry Darsow & Brad Rhenigans. We see the big build up to this contest…}

Bob: For weeks now David we have seen this issue with Darsow and Rhenigans build up… could it come to head here tonight?

David: I think this is the first of what could be many wars. You look at these two men and they have a supreme hatred for one another. Darsow hates how Rhenigans does it all for the fans. Rhenigans hates how Darsow turned his back on him and America.

Bob: David, one has to wonder if the Russians will be involved here?

David: I don’t know how that will play out. They are in the finals this Saturday thanks to Darsow, perhaps they will return the favor.

Bob: It will be interesting to see how this works out for all those involved…

{Bob and David really put over the history of these two and talk about their recent matches in which, Darsow has snuck away from the fight. They talk about Rhenigans really wanting a piece of him tonight. They continue to put over the idea of the Russians helping Darsow but as this one goes on, they are nowhere to be found! It is a classic one on one brawl. Rhenigans then begins to gain some steam and Darsow looks to go to the back but out walk Joe Lightfoot, Tommy Rogers, and Hector Guerrero! The crowd pops huge for this one as they back Darsow into the ring and then Rhenigans with a schoolboy for the 1…2…3! The crowd pops as Rhenigans and his buddies celebrate. Darsow retreats to the back and he isn’t happy one bit!}

*COMMERCIAL*

Bob: Fans welcome back. David, we have some big news about our show next week.

David: That’s right Bob… next week right here on MACW, the former heavyweight champion of the world, Buddy Rogers will be here and he will be hosting an interview.

Bob: We don’t know who the interview will be with as Rogers have been quite secreative about his arrival in the Mid Atlantic area… but we know he will have something special in store.

David: One of the true all time greats and it will be fun to have him here next week.

Bob: Fans we also want to talk about a big card coming to Greensboro this Saturday the 30th of July. Here is a look at that spectacular card…

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair vs Rick Martel

NWA UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

Dr. D Dave Schultz vs Greg The Hammer Valentine ©

FINALS OF THE NWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT

Wahoo McDaniel vs The Iron Sheik

Rocky Johnson vs Mad Dog Vachon

Plus much, much more!

David: What an amazing card and we will have more to come on that show. It is time to find out who will be in the finals of that big NWA World Tag Team Title tournament… let’s go to the ring.

{We see a quick video showcasing the runs of both teams. We hear about the Midnight Express getting a bye and then see them defeated Tommy Rogers & Hector Guerrero. We then see the Freebirds defeating the Invaders and the Vachons. Bob and David really push whether or not Buddy Roberts will wrestle…}

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP SEMI-FINALS
The Fabulous Freebirds (JCP) vs The Midnight Express (IWAM)

{The second semi-final contest is one of great delight. The winner goes on to the Russians this weekend in Greensboro. The Freebirds are all about the show, but they look fierce tonight. David and Bob put over how Gordy is wrestling for Buddy Roberts tonight, as he was hurt last week, but he’s expected to return to action Saturday the 30th. Gordy is the game changer though and he comes in like a house of fire and the MXE can’t quite get a grip with him. Rose and Condrey are no slouches though, they rip Hayes apart in their corner and use all the dirty tricks to control the contest but the big tag to Gordy is what turns the tide. The TV champ comes in with some huge rights and lefts and a nasty powerslam on Randy Rose! Condrey comes to hammer him from behind but Gordy turns around and nails three left handed jabs and a huge right hand and Condrey falls into Hayes who is waiting for the DDT! OH MY! 1….2…3! The Freebirds are moving on! The Freebirds are in the FINALS! Buddy Roberts is here to celebrate! IT IS THE FREEBIRDS VS THE RUSSIANS FOR THE TITLES THIS SATURDAY!}

*COMMERCIAL*

Bob: What a matchup we just saw! The finals will see the Freebirds vs the Russians! The winners get the world tag team titles, but David… will Buddy Roberts be able to go?

David: Well I am not sure. Terry Gordy will have a match that night for the Television Championship, and you don’t see him trying to wrestle twice, in two different title matches.

Bob: It is certainly going to be an event, live from Greensboro this Saturday. In one of the big title matches, we will see Dr. D Dave Schultz taking on Greg the Hammer Valentine for the United States Championship!

David: I cannot wait for that hard fought battle. We know that both men are double tough and with the title on the line, it is going to be a sure fire brawl.

Bob: Well tonight, Dr. D is going to have to get by someone who is out to hurt him and steal that spot… the Butcher Vachon. You know where Butcher goes… Mad Dog is close by… here we go fans!

MAIN EVENT

Dr. D Dave Schultz vs Butcher Vachon w/ Mad Dog Vachon

{A huge main event here tonight as Dr. D is here and the fans are solidly behind him. Mad Dog and Butcher have got the fans. This one gets a little bit of time and we see two veterans work the ring and the crowd to a slow build. Mad Dog is exercising his right outside the ring and takes a couple of huge shots on Dr. D. The fans are screaming at Mad Dog who is accepting it and egging it on! Butcher sets him up again and Mad Dog comes with another HUGE SHOT and Dr. D is in trouble! The crowd pops as here comes Ric Flair! Flair runs down to the ring and chops the shit out of Mad Dog sending him backwards! The crowd is going nuts and Butcher is looking on and he isn’t happy! Dr. D is getting up though and he is bringing a huge fight! Here are rights and lefts and Butcher is reeling. Dr. D sends him to the ropes and a HUGE SHOULDER BLOCK! Mad Dog tries to grab Dr. D’s foot but Flair intercepts Butcher runs for a clothesline but Dr. D grabs him for a backslide and the 1….2….3!!! Dr. D wins it and the crowd goes wild! Butcher can’t believe it as he rolls out of the ring. Flair jumps inside and raises Dr. D’s arm. They walk the Vachon’s back and join David and Bob…}

RicFlair4.jpg

Ric Flair: WOOOO! Bob Caudle… David Crockett… you are looking at a NEW Ric Flair boys… WOOO! You got guys walking around here like they own the place… the Mad Dogs, the Butchers… the Sheiks… well boys… line up and look at it. You got Dr. D and Ric Flair looking you right in the eyes!

Bob: It seems as though you have had a lot of people gunning for you Dr. D…

mqdefault.jpg

Dr. D: Well Bob Caudle… when you say you will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime… you are bound to have someone jump up. Tonight it was the Butcher… Mad Dog… you want the fight pal… anytime! Iron Sheik… I know you’re watching… it is only a matter of time for you.

David: Gentlemen, this Saturday the 30th of July live in Greensboro… you two are faced with some big matches… Dr. D, the US title on the line against Greg Valentine… Ric Flair you take on Rick Martel…

Dr. D: The thing about it is this David… you look at every single man fighting in the NWA. They all want that world title… they all want that US title… they all want that TV title. Well this Saturday in Greensboro, I am facing that good for nothing Greg Valentine for that title. He ran up to Canada with that title and he hasn’t looked back ever since! Greg Valentine, I hope your passport is ready pal, cuz once I am done whooping your butt… I am sending you one a one-way trip, but I am keeping that US title right here where it belongs!!

Ric Flair: I love it… lemme tell al the people out there something right now… in Greensboro… Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling is going to put itself on a whole new level. Rick Martel… you are one of the toughest competitors in the world right now… but you are no Ric Flair. I am the Diamond in the Rough… I am the Crown Jewel… and Martel… you are going to find out why I am the best thing going today! WOOOOO!

Bob: Fans there you have it… this Saturday in Greensboro… get ready… it is the SHOWDOWN!

SATURDAY JULY 30th

Live from the Greensboro Coliseum

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling and Maple Leaf Wrestling Present:

THE SHOWDOWN!

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair vs Rick Martel

Dr. D Dave Schultz vs Greg Valentine ©

Terry Gordy © vs Ivan Koloff

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
The Fabulous Freebirds vs The Russians

Rocky Johnson vs Mad Dog Vachon

Plus much, much more!

23msj8o.jpg

Saturday July 30th 1983

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling and Maple Leaf Wrestling Present: The Showdown Live from the Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina!

The Tonga Kid defeated Tiger Williams

Scott Casey defeated Joe Lightfoot

Butcher Vachon defeated Bob Bradley

Hector Guerrero & Tommy Rogers defeated Tony Zane & Ben Alexander

{This one has a lot of heat added on to it. The crowd is 100% behind Rhenigans and he is without a doubt the favorite. He brings some real heavy hitting early on in the contest and Darsow doesn’t have too much to offer. Things turn while the referee’s back is turned and a knee to the small of the back leads to Darsow taking control. Darsow just goes to work on the back and he is working every part of it. He headbutts and knees the back as Rhenigans is selling like crazy. The crowd is chanting for Rhenigans and he attempts to come back but a poke in the eye and now Rhenigans is in serious trouble. Darsow looks to finish with a big powerslam but Rhenigans jumps over his back and pushes Darsow into the turnbuckle hard! He turns and then a big back body drop! Rhenigans is coming back something big and then a huge clothesline and Darsow is down. A USA chant is reigning through the arena! Rhenigans then runs at Darsow and he picks him up and hot shots him on the top rope! He is holding his throat as the referee is screaming at Darsow. Darsow picks him up and looks for a big powerslam but Rhenigans with a quick roll up for the 1…2….3! Rhenigans is still holding his throat and Darsow can’t believe it! Darsow then runs and knees Rhenigans in the back of the head! He runs and drives a knee into his throat! Referees are pulling him off and Darsow has got some major heat with the crowd!}

Rocky Johnson vs Mad Dog Vachon w/ Butcher Vachon

{A fun contest here with two stars. Rocky comes out and he has got a good fan base here in Greensboro. Mad Dog comes out with the Butcher and they are still getting some heat from their issue with Flair and Dr. D. This one is a quick 8-minute brawl. These guys go out of the ring and Butcher is trying to get involved but the official stops things, however Rocky can’t catch a break. Mad Dog is racking the eyes and doing everything he can to break him down. Mad Dog with some huge strikes but Rocky comes back with a couple of huge jabs and then a big right hook. Mad Dog is down! Butcher gets up on the rope and Rocky comes with a huge DROPKICK and Butcher goes flying! Mad Dog gets up and runs for a clothesline but Rocky ducks and then hits the ropes and FLYING CROSS BODY as Johnson covers for the 1….2…3!! Rocky wins it and the crowd pops! Rocky is out of the ring as the Vachons stand there wanting more. Rocky won the battle but the war may be far from over!}

{Wahoo is home and the fans love it! The crowd is going wild for him and the Iron Sheik is out and he is getting nothing but boos and yells from the crowd. A fan even tries to take a punch at the Sheik but he throws a right hand back at him and there is a small scuffle in the crowd. Wahoo is waiting in the ring but the Sheik is fighting in the crowd. He pulls away and the fans are rabid right now. He steps into the ring and Wahoo jumps after him and the crowd goes wild! Wahoo is throwing some huge chops and Sheik’s chest is turning red! Sheik is able to turn the tide and he is no slouch. He is hammering down on the Chief and then we get some blood as Sheik rakes the forehead of McDaniel with that spike on his boot! Sheik is hammering away at his skull and the fans are starting to buzz. This one is getting kind of crazy in the arena but Wahoo knows the right time to fight back but Sheik with a nasty boot to the face! He then locks in the CAMEL CLUTCH! OH MY! He has it wrenched in! The visual of the blood flowing from McDaniel is something to behold! He slowly starts to fade but then at the last moment… he builds up and has Sheik on his back and rams him into the turnbuckle! We then see a trio of HUGE chops and the skin is busted on the Sheik! McDaniel then with a huge overhead chop and Sheik buckles… one more and he goes to a knee… Sheik is showing his toughness and then Wahoo runs and NAILS A THIRD OVERHEAD CHOP AND SHEIK GOES DOWN! 1….2….3!!! The crowd explodes! A bloody Wahoo gets up and the fans are chanting his names! He walks to the back covered in crimson. Sheik is escorted by officers. This could break loose again at any point in time!}

NWAWTag.png

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
The Fabulous Freebirds vs The Russians

{The finals of this huge tournament see two of the favorites going head to head. It is Hayes and Roberts, who doesn’t look to be in the best shape. Markoff and Volkoff know what the weakness is and in this contest, it is Hayes who is forced to do most of the work. Roberts comes in and gets some shots in but there’s no telling how long he can go. Volkoff and Markoff take complete control of this contest and isolate Hayes. He is getting busted up something awful as the fans are chanting for the Birds. Hayes fights his way out and has some nice rights and lefts to make a huge tag to Roberts who comes in like a house of fire. He’s got the adrenaline running wild, but the reality sets in out of nowhere. Volkoff grabs Roberts and throws him through the ropes and he NAILS the ring post! His shoulder is in trouble and Volkoff throws him back into the post! What the hell is going on… here comes Darsow! Darsow runs in and he grabs Robert’s arm and he nails it on the ringpost! He then sets up and HE PULLS THE SHOULDER OUT OF THE SOCKET! OMG! The crowd shrieks! Hayes runs over and he cracks Darsow! Inside the ring Volkoff picks up Roberts for a huge back suplex right on that shoulder! 1….2….3! WE HAVE NEW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! Hayes can’t believe it as he runs in the ring and he’s yelling about Darsow! The referee didn’t see anything as Markoff was holding him back! The crowd is throwing things into the ring as the Russians hold the belts high in the air! Darsow is with the Russians… this was all a coup!}

NWAUS-1.png

Dr. D Dave Schultz vs Greg Valentine ©

{From what we just saw to this, it just keeps getting better. These two guys are throwing some huge bombs right now. Schultz has the crowd behind him and Valentine has got some nice heat on him. This one goes around 17-minutes. We see Valentine slow some stuff down and try to work the leg. Schultz does everything he can to fight back but the knee is in rough shape. Valentine is doing anything he can to slow down the Doc but the fans get behind him and he is fighting back with some big strikes. Dr. D then nails a huge flying shoulder block. The crowd pops and Dr. D is making his comeback as Valentine is playing it off well. Dr. D with some huge right hands right in the skull and then throws him to the ropes with a big DROPKICK! Valentine then tries to roll out of the ring and he is walking away but Dr. D runs out and grabs him by the hair and the fans cheer! Dr. D isn’t done with him and he nails him up against the ring! The referee is counting both men as they get into the ring. Valentine makes another big stand but Dr. D then comes with some more huge shots! He is going for the piledriver but Valentine tosses him over his back! Valentine then with some big elbows and he runs for a big clothesline but Dr. D ducks and then goes behind and grabs his arms for a backslide and the 1….2…3! OH MY! WE HAVE A NEW US CHAMPION! THE FANS ARE GOING NUTS! Schultz grabs the title and holds it high in the air! Valentine is doing an amazing protest right now! Schultz takes the title out to the crowd and they are going wild! History has been made!}

NWATV.png

Terry Gordy © vs Ivan Koloff

{Gordy has got to have a lot on his mind right now going into this contest. Koloff has got a lot of ties to the men who took the tag titles earlier this evening from Gordy’s partners. This one is a nice contest as Koloff and Gordy really do some great work. This one is only 15-minutes but they tell a fun story. There is a lot of HEAVY hitting with these guys and Kolkoff looks strong. Gordy doesn’t seem to lose too much focus though and he shows why he is one of the best in the business right now. He flies around the ring for Koloff but he gets his own. A huge press slam sets up a huge streak from Bam Bam. He has some big rights and lefts and a big back body drop! Koloff is in a bad way! Gordy is stomping his foot in then a big ASIATIC SPIKE! Koloff goes down! Gordy grabs him and he is going to finish him with a powerbomb but out of the back! It is Volkoff and Markoff! They are holding the world tag titles and screaming at Gordy. He walks over to the ropes and he is jabbing back at them. Darsow then sneaks from behind and he’s got Koloff’s chain and NAILS GORDY WITH THE CHAIN! The referee calls for the bell but this one just goes downhill fast! This is a 4 on 1 beat-down! Gordy has won the contest via DQ. He retains the title… but he may not be able to defend it again. The Russians are just wearing him down something awful. Michael Hayes runs down and he’s got a chair with him! The Russians flee the ring… but their message is full and clear. They shake hands with Koloff as he may have been nothing more than a patsy. The Freebirds may be down to the solobird when all this is said and done…}

MAIN EVENT
Ric Flair vs Rick Martel

{What a main event we have here this evening. Flair and Martel make great entrances to the ring and then they look one another up and down. The stare down in the beginning of the contest is something to behold. Flair has got this entire crowd in the palm of his hand and he just dogs Martel. He is giving him some big chops but Ricky turns the tide and he’s got some huge chops. Martel is able to work the pace of the contest and Flair meets him and then pushes the level up a little bit higher. The fans weren’t ready for what these two guys brought. Martel works the back of Flair and everyone knows it is his weak point. Flair goes for the knee and he is able to slow Martel down but he has got something up his sleeve here tonight. Martel with some nice high impact moves including a big belly to back suplex and Flair is in trouble! We get to around the 40-minute mark and Martel looks to finish and locks in the BOSTON CRAB! Flair is writhing in pain! The fans are chanting for him and Flair is doing everything he can to get to the ropes. Martel has it locked in tight and Flair then with a huge push up and Martel goes forward but he still has it locked in. Flair with a huge scream and then he is able to roll over and grab the ropes! Flair has to roll out of the ring and his back is a mess. Martel gives it a second and rolls out and he picks up Flair and puts him back in the ring. We get a near-fall as Flair still has something left in him. Flair then slowly gets up as Martel with some big rights and he backs up and Flair with a CHOP BLOCK ON THE KNEE! The Nature Boy is going for it! he kicks and hammers that knee and then it is Flair who locks in the Figure Four with only 10-minutes remaining! Martel is now writhing in pain and he is nowhere near the ropes! These two are fighting it out here and Flair wrenches back and back! Martel is showing some real guts here! Martel isn’t done through as we’ve got 6-minutes remaining! Martel makes a huge rush and he turns over the figure four! Flair is now the one in pain! Flair has to break free and he is in pain as is Martel. Flair gets up and Martel runs for a cross body and the 1…2… and Flair barely kicks out! Martel goes to pick up Flair but the Nature Boy with a huge single leg takedown! He is going for the Figure Four but Martel with a roll up for the 1…2… and Flair rolls through for the 1…2….3! RIC FLAIR HAS WON IT! The crowd pops! Flair gets up with a bloody lip and his back is in serious pain! Martel is drenched as he gets up and looks at Flair. These two meet in the middle of the ring and Martel puts out his hand… Flair shakes it. A lot of respect here in Greensboro tonight between these two. They walk out of the ring as the crowd leaves on a high note…}