Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

I am not sure if the Butch Reed vs. Kamala match is new, I remember watching a singles match between them a few years ago where Butch Reed has his face painted like he does here, but I think it was a different match. I definitely don't remember watching a match where Butch Reed has half of his name faded away off his tights, down to pretty much just Butch Reed left, because I would have remembered how distracting that is (it just makes me think about all my old wrestling action figures with beat up paint jobs)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Mark Reagan vs. Pat Rose (somebody had to!) and man Pat Rose was good. Reagan looked to be really green and not very good but Pat Rose gets a very nice little 6-7 minute undercard match out of him.

Butch Reed vs. Dutch Mantel is a really good performance by both guys although it has one of the silliest looking ref bumps I've ever seen.

Ok, I'm live and with you guys now. Andre vs Harley is awesome.

Things I loved:

-How NWA Title Match the first fall felt despite the fact it was Andre, what with the arm work and the wrestling. Huge points to Andre in general.

-That Harley slammed him with his right hand and not his left.

-The backwork and how Harley seemed totally credible bearhugging Andre and Andre sold, so so well, and consistently late into the second fall. I really liked how he targeted Race's back even as his own was hurting. Surly Giant.

-The way that they sort of paralleled the end of the first and second fall by having Harley try to lure Andre out only to get SLAMMED over the top because Andre was pissed after missing the butt bump in the corner. Then of course, that sort of led to the third fall too which made it all more acceptable somehow, you know? Harley seemed desperate and clever. It felt like a bit of canny, heel wrestling, a human fighting a force of nature, just trying to survive. I was cool with it.

-I tend to prefer predator Harley to prey Harley but him selling to the back row for Andre is completely appropriate and pretty awesome.

-Maybe most of all, just the feel of this. It feels hugely epic, especially when they stand and stare at each other before fighting. There's one moment in the second fall when Harley goes out and Andre goes after him that there's just this moment of weight over the match, just how big the stakes are and how larger than life it all is. That's right before Andre hits him and Harley does the total full body wobble selling that doesn't seem outlandish but seems to fit the moment somehow.

Count me in loving he 1/7/79 Dusty Rhodes vs Mark Lewin 3 1/2*

Just a chaotic brawl with double juice. Both guys use plunder. Dusty with a 2x4 put Duggan to shame. This is the card it's from. So guys who wanted whole cards. Every match has been released so far from this show.

1/7/79 Houston
Harley Race drew Andre The Giant, Ox Baker beat Gino Hernandez dq, Dusty Rhodes
beat Mark Lewin, Billy Graham drew Tiger Conway Jr, Bull Ramos beat Nick Kozak,
Mil Mascaras & Jose Lothario drew Dory & Terry Fun

Jose Lothario vs Gino Hernandez 1/19/79

This is a Texas Death match in a cage and it's amazing. Lothario threw a great punch. Gino shined him up real good.Lothario working the arm was great. Gino bumped big,had a good elbow. This was super hate filled. Gino's knee drops were vicious. Watch this match Asap if you're a fan of smart work. They did an amazing job of miliking the drama. 4*

This is the card the match is from.

1/19/79 Houston
Gino Hernandez beat Jose Lothario cage match, Mark Lewin beat Tiger Conway Jr
dq, Nick Kozak drew Bill White, Mike The Big Un beat Eddie Sullivan, Bull Ramos
beat Reggie Parks, the Spoiler beat Randy Brewer.

Rock N Roll Express/Duggan vs Doc/Dibiase/Hercules 12/27/84 2 1/2*

This is a new one. I found this more fun than good, and a match that was suited better live than for people watching it at home. You had a match going on in each ring, while you had one wrestler in between each ring that could tag in and out to each ring. This is a pretty cool premise and wonder if it started in Houston. I will say their is a lot to digest but super fun stuff.

This is the card it's on. So it's possible more of these matches will pop up.

12/27/84 Houston
Butch Reed won a 2 ring battle royal, Hacksaw Duggan & Rock & Roll Express beat
Ted Dibiase & Steve Williams & Hercules Hernandez, Butch Reed beat Buddy Landell,
Kerry Von Erich beat Gino Hernandez, Brad Armstrong beat Ernie Ladd, Kamala beat
Billy Jack Haynes, Hector & Chavo Guerrero beat Jose Lothario & Terry Taylor, Iceman
King Parsons beat Jack Victory, Terry Daniels beat Dale Veasey, Tim Horner beat Rip
Oliver

I just watched the Butch Reed vs. Magnum T.A. North American Title match and I have to say it was pretty disappointing. The finish sucked and the match got pretty boring at times. Probably would have been better if it was 3-4 minutes shorter.

The Buddy Landell vs Butch Reed shoe shine match wasn't much,Now the post match was tremendous fun and made me pop.I think the date on this is 12/7/84.

The match was disappointing in how short it was but I laughed a LOT during that post match. It was really some of the best "wrestling bull shit" I have ever seen.

A couple of days late to the party but Andre vs Race felt epic. I wonder if it was one of those matches that people in the arena talked about for months, but that has been lost in time. The only thing that I have watched so far is that and the Dixon vs Von Erich stills with the terrible Boesch commentary.

Maybe it's because I'm in the UK and the servers are in the US, but the player started and stopped several times. It's annoying because when it stops, it dies, and I need to rewind or ffwd a few seconds to get it to restart. If this is a common occurrence I may have to think about unsubscribing.

They added in an extra pound (a dollar and a half) on taxes as I'm in the UK but still feels like good value.

Now I'm at that point in time when I may be in "I have too many streaming services" territory:

WWE Network: about 11 USD (incl. taxes) but hard to unsubscribe when the library is so large.

UFC TV: I paid for the entire year when they had their Xmas promotion. I think it works out at about 7 USD a month.

NJPW World: about 9 USD after forex fees have been accounted. Addition of new "old" footage has been almost non existent, and I don't particularly care about their new stuff, so this may be the one to go... but lately I have been using it quite a bit.

NWA Classics: about 10 USD.

Let's see how Classics does - Tharpe mentioned they have footage to keep going on for years and at this point it covers a gap that the WWE Network should (but doesn't) provide.

NWA Classics is actually the only one of those that I currently have. I am really at a lowpoint of UFC fandom right now and have never really been into New Japan. I have had the WWE Network twice, I resubscribed on a free month recently but I didn't keep it.

I realize that they have a huge library but I'm just not all that likely to go back and watch old WWF, WCW or ECW PPVs. Maybe I'll subscribe again once they put up a few more years of Raw & Nitro. I've given up any expectations that they will get around to their territory library though.

NWA Classics is actually the only one of those that I currently have. I am really at a lowpoint of UFC fandom right now and have never really been into New Japan. I have had the WWE Network twice, I resubscribed on a free month recently but I didn't keep it.

I realize that they have a huge library but I'm just not all that likely to go back and watch old WWF, WCW or ECW PPVs. Maybe I'll subscribe again once they put up a few more years of Raw & Nitro. I've given up any expectations that they will get around to their territory library though.

I'm thinking that I will unsubscribe from UFC but I bet you the fuckers will then upload the entire Pancrase library and make me stay. I'm also at a low point of UFC fandom but I have somewhat revived it by getting cheap tickets to Berlin (which was a lot of fun) and Glasgow (next week).

I have also given up on WWE uploading anything from their library. Apparently there will be a new show soon called WWE Vintage that Renee is working on but I assume that will be the same as the show that we get on Eurosport. It would be a shame if we only got old PPV mash-ups when they have such a large library.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. I'm off to watch the Von Erichs vs Murdoch, Gary Hart and the White Knight.

A couple of days late to the party but Andre vs Race felt epic. I wonder if it was one of those matches that people in the arena talked about for months, but that has been lost in time. The only thing that I have watched so far is that and the Dixon vs Von Erich stills with the terrible Boesch commentary.

Maybe it's because I'm in the UK and the servers are in the US, but the player started and stopped several times. It's annoying because when it stops, it dies, and I need to rewind or ffwd a few seconds to get it to restart. If this is a common occurrence I may have to think about unsubscribing.

They added in an extra pound (a dollar and a half) on taxes as I'm in the UK but still feels like good value.

Now I'm at that point in time when I may be in "I have too many streaming services" territory:

WWE Network: about 11 USD (incl. taxes) but hard to unsubscribe when the library is so large.

UFC TV: I paid for the entire year when they had their Xmas promotion. I think it works out at about 7 USD a month.

NJPW World: about 9 USD after forex fees have been accounted. Addition of new "old" footage has been almost non existent, and I don't particularly care about their new stuff, so this may be the one to go... but lately I have been using it quite a bit.

Let's see how Classics does - Tharpe mentioned they have footage to keep going on for years and at this point it covers a gap that the WWE Network should (but doesn't) provide.

CZW and Smash both have streaming services too.

CZW and Smash both have streaming services too.

I have no interest in those, though - I only mentioned the ones I am paying for.

However it's interesting that now there are a lot of players competing for our dollars... at some point some of those services may have to merge or cease to exist. There may be soon an oversaturation of the already thin indy market and the bar of what we are supposed to pay has been lowered time and time again.

They added a bunch of Osaka Castle Hall matches in anticipation of the return show this past weekend and the batch included the Liger-Sano match from 9/89 that we never had complete before. So that's something.

I am liking NXT less and less and I can see myself unsubscribing to the Network after I hit all the stuff I want to. If Mania next year has the lineup I expect instead of Reigns vs. Lesnar 2 and NXT continues to go downhill I'm not sure it takes a long, long time. I'd miss the Becky Lynch and Sasha stuff as well as the Vaudevillains, Itami when he returns and Breeze, but I am finding more and more that modern wrestling goes away from a lot of the things I value in wrestling. NWA Classics seems a lot more up my alley in terms of the wrestling they have available, especially if they start putting together full cards and footage from feuds that my not have been available before.

I have no idea if Landell/Ito vs. RNR Express was already available but it was a pretty fun little match. I really kind of liked Landell & Ito as a team.

I just watched this and thought the same thing. This was formula Rock N Roll, but the heels especially Landell really enhanced the formula. Both guys were great at stooging. Landell had a great rope running spot. Landell's sell job of Ito's headbutt was gold.This looks to be new.3*

Here's the card it's from

5-25-84 Houston

Hacksaw Duggan & Terry Taylor beat Butch Reed & Krusher Darsow (Texas Tornado Barbed

Wire match), Magnum TA beat Mr Wrestling II, Hector Guerrero no contest Jose Lothario,

Rock & Roll Express beat Buddy Landell & Masao Ito, Barry Orton beat Lanny Poffo, Mark

Ragin beat Pat Rose, Tony Torres beat John King

Well the Barry Orton/Poffo match & the Mark Ragin vs. Pat Rose match are both up so hopefully we'll get that awesome sounding main event and the other two matches. I would really love to see a full Magnum TA vs. Mr Wrestling II match.

Kerry Von Erich vs Gino Hernandez 12/27/84

This was a really good match.In some earlier Gino we saw this opportunistic young punk who wasn't afraid to throw hands. Here he's morphed into this charismatic, big bumping, stooging heel who's a heat magnet. This was 2 rings and they used them. Gino did some cat and mouse spots. It was a fun back and forth bout. By the end Keryy's bleeding. 3 1/4* I think this might be new.

This is the card it's from.

12/27/84 Houston
Butch Reed won a 2 ring battle royal, Hacksaw Duggan & Rock & Roll Express beat
Ted Dibiase & Steve Williams & Hercules Hernandez, Butch Reed beat Buddy Landell,
Kerry Von Erich beat Gino Hernandez, Brad Armstrong beat Ernie Ladd, Kamala beat
Billy Jack Haynes, Hector & Chavo Guerrero beat Jose Lothario & Terry Taylor, Iceman
King Parsons beat Jack Victory, Terry Daniels beat Dale Veasey, Tim Horner beat Rip
Oliver

By looking at things, and to make it easy for them to remember what's uploaded. I wouldn't be surprised to see full cards up every 3 months. For example ,the whole 1/7/79 card has been uploaded. 4 of the 10 matches from 12/27/84 has been uploaded.Half of the 1/6/81 card has been uploaded. This is just speculation on my part.

They added a bunch of Osaka Castle Hall matches in anticipation of the return show this past weekend and the batch included the Liger-Sano match from 9/89 that we never had complete before. So that's something.

When are they going to add an English menu? I thought that was something they were going to offer. I'd probably sub if they do, but I just don't like NJPW enough to sub at this point with them not having set-top apps or English menus.

And no, I don't want a fucking Chromecast.

• Loss unpinned this topic