Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Butch Reed vs. Kamala Lumberjack match that was on the new update. This was a really good match, much better than their other match on the site although the finish still kind of sucks. But they kept it short and sweet and Butch Reed's comeback on Kamala was white hot. Butch Reed "lays those wallops in" indeed Mr. Boesch.

I realized at the end that I'd seen it before on a Butch Reed comp so it's not new but I enjoyed it on 2nd go round.

I hadn't seen Duggan vs Dibiase in a while. It's about as close to perfect as you can get, really. It's funny but in a lot of ways, the match that it reminds me of the most might be Big Show vs Mayweather from Mania, in that it's all fairly minimalist but every moment adds to a greater whole more so than you'd see in 99% of all matches.

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA 6/28/85

We are JIP about 6 minutes in. This is Flair touring champ match. I enjoyed Flair's arm work in this. I liked how Flair used TA's momentum to toss him to the outside to set up his heat. The finish was sloppy in the sense that it was reversed.. I loved the post match with Wahoo kicking ass. 4*

Just watched Andre the Giant vs. Tank Patton which I'm pretty sure is from 1/2/81 based on the Houston results thread. This is a lot of fun, Andre is still fairly mobile here and it's fun to watch him bully the big Tank Patton around. 2 out of 3 falls and Andre wins the first fall by DQ after Tank uses his cast. Pissed off Andre in the 2nd fall is awesome to watch. If you're an Andre fan (and you should be) then you will enjoy this.

Just watched the Gino Hernandez vs. Ivan Putski match refereed by notorious Southwest referee/jobber Juan Reynosa! I actually enjoyed this for what it was, but I wouldn't recommend it.

There is a whole lot of "nothing" going on for large portions of this match with Gino avoiding Putski. But I enjoyed the story of "Ivan is too strong for Gino to put any holds on" so I still dug this. The finish was pretty awful though which definitely keeps me from recommending this when the match itself is already very borderline.

And with that comment I had to check out Gino vs. Ox.

This starts with Gino wearing a shirt that say "I broke Jose Lothario's arm" while he talks trash on the house mic about how he's going to break Jose's neck on the 19th. Jose comes out from the back and attacks him and rips off the shirt! They brawl for a bit and then Ox Baker comes in while the referees are trying to get Jose out of the ring and now he's on Gino before the match officially starts. The crowd is anything but sympathetic to Gino's plight.

That punch where Ox pulls Gino out of the corner by his tights and then punches him in the stomach to drive him back in is cool and someone needs to steal that. I don't know if I would say Ox is "better" than Ivan but he definitely seemed to try harder in this match than Ivan did. This is a pretty fun match although I enjoyed the Jose/Gino pre-match stuff more than the match itself. Maybe I should finally get around to watching that Jose/Gino Texas Death Match.

WWE own Watts' tapes but these matches still happened in the Sam Houston coliseum in Paul Boesch's NWA Houston Promotion. Watts & Boesch had a deal where Houston was supplied Mid-South talent for it's Friday shows along with other people that Boesch would bring in outside of the Mid-South roster. The weekly TV in Houston was a mix of Mid-South TV and Paul Boesch interviews & highlights of the Sam Houston coliseum show from the week before.

Could Pete/Shoe or someone please explain the reason these Mid South matches are available through the NWA when WWE owns the Mid South library?

Houston kind of was it's own thing.At one point they had WCCW talent, early 80's was Southwest, mid 80's Mid-South. Paul Boesch was the promoter of the town. It would bring in Flair to headline with Mid-South talent to fill out the card. Like St. Louis would bring in Funk vs Brisco and use the KC territory to work underneath the money players. Some of these matches from Houston aired on Power Pro thus why they're in the WWE's library.

Butch Reed vs Kamala 3/22/85 Lumberjack match.

This was fun. They get the gimmick over early. They work a sprint. Early portion we see Reed bringing it to Kamala. Kamala does a good job selling the ass kicking. He makes a comeback with chops and nerveholds. We go to a finish where everyone has the ref distracted. Barbarian puts his finish on Reed and Kamala steals a win. A fun match. 2 1/2*

JYD vs Butch Reed Dog Collar Match 7/20/84

I loved this match. We get the typical heel schtick not wanting to put the collar on and such. Reed did this real well. Finally they hook it up and we get a JYD shine. He rolls up the chain into his fist and works over Reed's ribs. The 1st few strikes looked shitty till they got into a groove. Reed cuts him off with an ankle pick using the chain. Reed just busts up the Dog with the chain.JYD begins to bleed and Reed just goes after the cut. Reed really gets a nice heat segment on him. JYD's comeback is good. He busts open Reed. In some pretty vicious spots JYD punches Reed. Reed sells like he's about to take a bump, JYD holds him up while he's out and punches him again. Reed cuts him off, but JYD tricks him and links the chain to the corner. Reed is pulling like he's choking out the Dog. In reality JYD gets back in the ring and delivers a headbutt for the 3. Post match Reed and Ernie Ladd destroy JYD. The Fantastics and Duggan makes the save all lathered up from his shower. 3 1/2*

JYD vs Butch Reed Dog Collar Match 7/20/84

I loved this match. We get the typical heel schtick not wanting to put the collar on and such. Reed did this real well. Finally they hook it up and we get a JYD shine. He rolls up the chain into his fist and works over Reed's ribs. The 1st few strikes looked shitty till they got into a groove. Reed cuts him off with an ankle pick using the chain. Reed just busts up the Dog with the chain.JYD begins to bleed and Reed just goes after the cut. Reed really gets a nice heat segment on him. JYD's comeback is good. He busts open Reed. In some pretty vicious spots JYD punches Reed. Reed sells like he's about to take a bump, JYD holds him up while he's out and punches him again. Reed cuts him off, but JYD tricks him and links the chain to the corner. Reed is pulling like he's choking out the Dog. In reality JYD gets back in the ring and delivers a headbutt for the 3. Post match Reed and Ernie Ladd destroy JYD. The Fantastics and Duggan makes the save all lathered up from his shower. 3 1/2*

I'm watching this ASAP.

• Loss unpinned this topic