Pro Wrestling Only

WWF results and recaps

JerryvonKramer

wwfmsg.jpg

WWF at Madison Square Garden

Jul 5th, 1983

Vince McMahon introduces the show by hyping the fact that there are three titles on the line on tonight’s MSG card. But first, this …

Howard Finkel: Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time for me to introduce you to Bobby “The Brain” Heenan, accompanied by his bodyguard, Blackjack Lanza. Mr. Heenan has purchased the use of this ring for the next ten minutes. Our normal schedule will resume after this time.

Heenan and Lanza standing in the ring scowling at Finkel and at the crowd who are heavily booing them. Heenan has several large pieces of paper in his hand. Lanza appears to be carrying a scroll.

Heenan: Go on get out of MY ring Finkel! You’re eating into my time. And time is time, and money is money. Go on scram before Mr. Lanza here gets angry.

The Fink hightails it out of the ring.

Heenan: I have purchased this time because things are going to change around here. I am Bobby Heenan, and they don’t call me “The Brain” for nothing. You’re probably wondering why I have bought this time to talk to you peons. Because you people need to know what I’m holding in my hands here. THIS piece of paper here is a contract, it’s a managerial license I have acquired from The Grand Wizard! And THIS piece of paper here is the license of a Mr. Fred Blassie! And THIS piece of paper is the license of a certain Captain Louis Albano! And THIS is the license of a man they call the “Golden Boy” Arnold Skaaland. You know why they call him “Golden Boy”? Cos that old guy hadn’t moved in so long people thought he was made of gold. So you see, from now on: THERE ARE NO OTHER MANAGERS in the WWF. Just me! Bobby “The Brain” Heenan! And you people better get used to that name because you’re going to be hearing it a lot. Show em Blackjack!

Lanza opens the scroll which is so long it almost touches the floor.

Heenan: Pay attention morons. THIS, this is something I had my lawyers working on day and night. Because you see when I acquired those managerial licenses, I acquired something else: shots at the WWF World Heavyweight title! And not just one shot … ALL of the shots. Bob Backlund, you may be the champion for now, but I have business associates all across the world of wrestling from here to LA to Texas to wherever you can put a pin on the map! I got associates in Japan. I got associates in Mexico. I got associates up there in Canada. Wherever I go, there are members of The Heenan Family to call on and just one phone call can bring any one of them RIGHT HERE to New York. You’re not safe any more Backlund. And ehh, oh, that’s right with my purchase of old Skaaland’s contract I’m YOUR MANAGER. So get out here Backlund! COME OUT HERE!

Bob Backlund comes out to the ring looking a mixture of confused and angry. He doesn’t know what to do but looks as if he’s about to punch Heenan before Lanza steps in his way.

Heenan: Well here’s the first thing, Bob, YOU’RE FIRED. We have no space in the Heenan Family for the likes of you. You think I don’t know what it’s like to manage a champion? I am the manager of champions, and you’re no champion. You better read the writing on the wall because soon you’re going to be shining my shoes. You’ve got to defend that title TONIGHT. And the challenger can be anyone I choose from any of my associates across the world. That’s for me to know, and you to find out … And you better not be late, chump.

Backlund looks angry and appears to be shouting something but cannot be heard because he is off mic and Heenan has the MSG house mic. He goes for Heenan and Lanza but they immediately bail out of the ring and run back up the aisle. Backlund is left in the angry as Heenan points to the contract and taunts him.

Dominic Denucci vs. Baron Mikel Scicluna

Match: Denucci wins with an airplane spin in 11:33. The match was slow and featured a lot of schtick with Baron Scicluna hiding a foreign object in his tights for most of the duration.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “He may not be working out with the same vigour as he once did, but you can never count out the Baron”.

Andre the Giant vs. Swede Hanson

Match: Routine win for Andre in 3.20 after a bodyslam.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Andre’s schedule sees him going all around the world and it is almost non-stop. But I wonder what The Giant will make of Bobby Heenan’s announcement?”

The Magnificent Muraco © vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: After a lot of action in a close encounter, newcomer Ricky Steamboat pinned Don Muraco in 43:45 with an inside cradle to become the NEW Intercontinental Champion! After the match various wrestlers including Bob Backlund, SD Jones, Jack and Jerry Brisco, Dominic Denucci and Andre the Giant came out to celebrate with Steamboat, lifting him on their shoulders and carrying him out of the ring.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Wow, look at this man Ricky Steamboat, you may have read about him but now he’s set his sights on making it in the big time” “Don Muraco looks a little lost without the guidance and expertise of The Grand Wizard” “This has been a terrific match!” “Oh an amazing moment in the career of this man, winning a title that so many can only dream of!”

The Destroyer vs. SD Jones

Match: The Destroyer wins by submission with a figure-four in 8:12. The Destroyer spent the entire match dissecting Jones’s left leg. During this match, Mil Mascaras came down to ringside to watch the action.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “This man likes to call himself ‘The Intelligent Sensational Destroyer’ and he has a reputation for being a legend in the world of Japanese wrestling. He is known for his scientific style and you can see here against the ever-green SD Jones.” “I wonder why Mil Mascaras is here ...”

The Wild Samoans © vs. Jack and Jerry Brisco for the WWF World Tag Team Championships

Match: Jack and Jerry Brisco become the NEW WWF Tag-team champions after a double pin-fall in 13:30. Jack pinned Afa after a kneedrop and Jerry pinned Sika after a flying bodypress from the top rope. During the match Afa and Sika were squabbling and accidentally butted heads.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Without the guidance of Captain Lou Albano, the Wild Samoans lack co-ordination.” “Jack Brisco is a former NCAA champion and went his entire junior year without taking a single takedown” “But Jerry Brisco is no slouch in the ring either, and has mastered an array of ariel tactics and has seen a lot of success in the light-heavyweight division.” “When you have the scientific ring smarts of Jack and the agility of Jerry, this is formidable tag-team.” “What a night here at Madison Square Garden! Another change of titles!”

Bob Backlund vs. ???

Howard Finkel introduces Bobby Heenan, who comes down to the ring with Lanza. Heenan whispers in Finkel’s ear and looks like he is giving very firm instructions. Heenan hands him a pre-prepared note from which he now reads.

Finkel: Introducing the challenger …. This man has held over 25 major titles in professional wrestling … This man is known across the world for his technical wrestling prowess …. Weighing 241lbs …. FROM Beverly Hills, California …. NICK BOCKWINKEL

Bockwinkel comes out as Heenan looks smug in the ring. The MSG crowd boos loudly. Bockwinkel imperiously looks at them as he is about to enter the ring. Finkel introduces Backlund who gets a loud ovation.

Bob Backlund © vs. Nick Bockwinkel for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Match: After a long-fought struggle, involving strongly contested mat sequences and suplex exchanges and many near falls, Nick Bockwinkel pinned Bob Backlund in 34:00 with his feet on the ropes after Blackjack Lanza punched him with a loaded glove which sent him hurling towards Bobby Heenan who gave him a second blow with a roll of coins. Nick Bockwinkel is the NEW WWF Heavyweight champion. Although some cheered at seeing the title change hands, most of the crowd were silenced by the finish.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Nick Bockwinkel and Bobby Heenan have been associated for a very long time.” “Bockwinkel is a second generation star, his father, Warren Bockwinkel was also a wrestler.” “Nick Bockwinkel has the best possible wrestling credentials and is very experienced.” “Bob Backlund is at a severe disadvantage in this match: he has not been given the opportunity to prepare for the opponent, whereas you can be sure that Bockwinkel and Heenan have been studying video tape of Backlund very carefully. Not only that, but Backlund is outnumbered three-to-one, after losing his manager Arnold Skaaland. It really isn’t very fair at all.” “This is an outrage that Bockwinkel has won the title, there needs to be an investigation into the refereeing of this bout! Bob Backlund has been a great champion and this is a sorry moment!” “This is the first time in wrestling history that all three of the WWF titles have changed on one show. This has been an HISTORIC night at Madison Square Garden.”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8340837_orig.jpg

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Allentown, PA (TV Taping for WWF Challenge)

Jul 6th, 1983

This is the first ever episode of WWF Challenge. The hosts are Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes.

Joe McHugh: Promoted by Phil Zacko. Supervised by the State Athletic Commission, the honourable JJ Benz Chairman. And Francis Walker is the Executive Secretary. And the officials assigned: Deputy Commission Peter Lash. The doctor in attendance at ringside, Dr George Zahorian. The timekeeper at the bell: Mike Griffin. The referees for this hour of wrestling: Billy Capouto, Gilberto Roman, Dick Woehrle. And my name is …. Jooeeeeeeeeee McHugh!

Tommy Rogers vs. The Goon

Match: Rogers wins after a vertical suplex in 6:00

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Lord Al) “We’re seeing a lot of new young talent coming through the ranks here at the WWF, and Rogers is one such talent. He has a great look this young man, and is known for displaying a fine array of high-flying moves” (Gorilla) “Tommy Rogers looked excellent out there, your Lordship.”

El Gran Apollo vs. Man Mountain Link

Match: El Gran Apollo wins with a flying crossbody in 9:22. The middle portion of the match mostly consisted of Man Mountain Link giving Apollo a bearhug.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Lord Al) “He’s an impressive looking specimen this El Gran Apollo”. (Gorilla) “El Gran Apollo overcoming the odds with a good show of guts and determination against this big man.”

Video package recap of events at MSG including the title wins of Steamboat and the Briscos, Bobby Heenan’s time on the mic and Nick Bockwinkel’s title win. Runs about 15:00.

Swede Hanson vs. Jack Carson

Match: Hanson wins in a squash in 2:00

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “He couldn’t do that against Andre this past week though, could he.”

Dr. Death Steve Williams and Bobby Eaton vs. Tony Russo and Jerry Monti

Match: Eaton and Williams show good teamwork as a “power and finesse” combination. Eaton hits a flying legdrop off the top rope on Monti who Williams was holding over his knee in 6:33.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Lord Al) “A superb combination of power and pinache here. Williams is a big man, but Bobby Eaton looks like a terrific talent as well.”

Larry Zbyszko has a backstage interview with Lord Alfred Hayes. He is back in the WWF and has set his sights on the Intercontinental title that Ricky Steamboat has just won.

Larry Zbyszko vs. Fred Curry

Match: Curry gets in quite a bit of offense, but Larry Z wins with an inside cradle and a handful of tights in 12:00

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Of course, long-time fans will remember that Larry Zbyszko has never been the same since he turned his back on the REAL Living Legend, Bruno Sammartino.” (Lord Al) “Fred Curry might be getting on in his career, but he comes from a fine lineage. He father, Wild Bull Burry was a real brute, and I know from wrestling him myself, that Fred knows a thing or two about wrestling, Zbyszko should not take this match lightly.” (Gorilla) “Ricky Steamboat may have his hands full with this rulebreaker in the near future …”

255px-WWF_Superstars_Of_Wrestling.jpg

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Fieldhouse in Hamburg, PA (TV Taping for WWF Superstars)

Jul 6th, 1983

This is the first ever episode of WWF Superstars. The host is Vince McMahon.

Bret Hart vs. “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty

Match: Bret Hart wins after a backbreaker in 8:22. During the match he gave Doherty several suplex variations.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “This young man from Canada, Bret Hart, from the legendary ‘dungeon’ of his father Stu, looks like an incredible professional wrestler! It will be exciting to see how he will do against a higher calibre of opposition than … Mr Doherty.”

Video package recap of events at MSG including the title wins of Steamboat and the Briscos, Bobby Heenan’s time on the mic and Nick Bockwinkel’s title win. Runs about 15:00.

We are now taken to weekly segment on WWF Superstars: The Superstar’s Supershow! A talk show hosted by former WWF Champion Superstar Billy Graham. His guests this week are Bobby Heenan and The NEW WWF Champion Nick Bockwinkel. They discuss the events at MSG from this past Monday. Heenan is beaming with delight and Bockwinkel says he is going to stay as champion for a long time. Heenan reiterates that since he now CONTROLS the title shots and will ensure that Bob Backlund does not get a rematch. He mentions that Bockwinkel is sure to be facing fine opposition, before the two of them laugh. Billy Graham seems to remain neutral. The whole segment takes about 15:00

Dominic Denucci vs. Randy Barder

Match: Denucci wins after an airplane spin in 3:56

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Denucci, the veteran, shows that he still has a lot of fire in his belly.”

Arn Anderson vs. Jack Carson

Match: Anderson dominates and wins in a quick squash after a spinebuster in 1:23.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “This young man, Arn Anderson, is said to come from a fine wrestling family. He’s said to be trying to make it alone here in the World Wrestling Federation, and he looks to be doing a good job of it!”

Jack and Jerry Brisco © vs. Victor Rivera and Jose Luis Rivera for the WWF World Tag Team Championships

Match: Jack and Jerry dominate with arm drags and focused work on the arm but the match is cut short in 9:47 after ….

Arn Anderson runs in and gives Jerry Brisco a spinebuster. As Jack goes to retaliate, Ole Anderson comes from UNDERNEATH the ring apron and pulls his leg before laying him out with a pair of brass knucks. Then Gene and Lars Anderson also come from underneath the ring and start a beatdown on Jerry Brisco as Jack is laid out on the floor. The Andersons hang Jerry upside down by his legs on the turnbuckle. Lars charges and stomps on his chest. Ole and Gene grab an arm each and drag Jerry up throwing him from the turnbuckle into the middle of the ring. Ole, Arn, Gene and Lars each grab a limb and pull Jerry Brisco in four different directions as hard as they can. Jerry seems to have passed out with the pain. All four Andersons now deliver a running kneedrop onto Jerry. Security forces run from the back to try to get them to go. Jack is still out on the floor. Jerry is convulsing after the attack, his legs are shaking. He seems to be having a seizure. The Andersons link hands and all four of them rise their arms in triumph. Ole grabs the mic from Howard Finkel who has been lurking.

Ole Anderson: The Brisco brothers lie battered because there’s only one truly GREAT family in this sport, THE ANDERSONS. They call us the Minnesota Wrecking Crew because we can get MEDIEVAL. And that’s what Jerry Brisco just experienced. He was HUNG, DRAWN AND QUARTERED! This is a message to everyone in the WWF! We aren’t here to mess around for the cameras, we aren’t here dance, we’re aren’t here to win any awards for style, we’re not going to be doing a somersaults off the top rope. No! We’re here to WRESTLE, we’re break BONES. Because that’s what we do. Jack and Jerry Brisco, you have THIRTY days to defend those tag titles before they become forfeit. Can you hear me Jerry? Can you here be Jack? Where’s your NCAA title now eh? THIRTY DAYS and we’re counting.

The Andersons leave. Jack comes to and seems incredibly angry. Jerry is stretchered out as Jack shakes his head and checks on him.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Jack and Jerry Brisco, a great combination and deserving new tag-team champions here in the WWF.” “Oh no! Arn Anderson! What’s he doing here?” “Ole Anderson! Gene Anderson! Lars Anderson!! It seems like Arn was not travelling alone and he’s brought his cousins and uncles with him …. ALL FOUR ANDERSONS!” “Oh …this is despicable!! This is outrageous! There should be fines and suspensions! They are going to MURDER Jerry Brisco.” “Ole Anderson with a message to everyone. We just have to hope and pray that Jerry Brisco can wrestle again. There comes a time when a man’s well-being is more important than any title. This was an ambush.”

WWF-1983-1995-logo.gif

WWF @ Baltimore, MD - Civic Center - July 7, 1983

1. Arn, Ole, Gene and Lars Anderson defeated Jack Carson, Steve King, Tony Russo and Tony Colon in 9:22. After the match Steve King was “hung, drawn and quartered” by all four Andersons.

2. The Animals (Luke Graham and George Steele) defeated Swede Hanson and Baron Mikel Scicluna in 12:14 with Steele pinning Hanson. During the match Steele started eating the turnbuckle until Crazy Luke Graham slapped him and made him focus on Hanson.

3. Blackjack Lanza (w/ Bobby Heenan) defeated SD Jones in 14:12 after using a loaded glove.

4. WWF Intercontinental Champion Ricky Steamboat defeated Mr. Fuji in 13:00 after Mr Fuji missed him and ended up throwing salt into his own eyes.

WWF @ Los Angeles, CA - Olympic Auditorium - July 8, 1983

1. Mil Mascaras fought The Destroyer to a time limit draw after 20:00.

2. Bob Backlund defeated The Goon and Randy Barber in 2:23 in a handicap match. Backlund piled Barber ontop of The Goon and pinned both men. He appeared to be very angry after losing his WWF title earlier in the week.

3. Bruiser Brody defeated Johnny Powers in 13:42 after a legdrop.

4. Superstar Billy Graham defeated The Sheik by countout in 4:20 after The Sheik threw a fireball at Graham which missed.

I really did not see that Bockwinkel title change coming at all. Especially with your "he's too old to be NWA Champion" deal. I'm interested to see what that goes.

You got Apollo's finisher right, good job. Did you watch any of his matches besides the Dory one?

SpectrumLogo2_381w.jpg

WWF at Philadelphia Spectrum

Jul 12th, 1983

Dick Graham and Kal Rudman introduce the show from their desk. Rudman is excited because he has an EXCLUSIVE interview with WWF Champion Nick Bockwinkel.

Gary Michael Cappetta introduces the first match.

Dominic Denucci vs. “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty

Match: Denucci wins with an airplane spin in 8:33. Doherty gets in a little bit of token offense, but the big Italian has too much for him.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “I had dinner with Dominic last night, Dick, he’s a real nice guy. Telling me stories about the old country. Dom’s a swell guy, y’know”.

Andre the Giant vs. Victor Rivera and Jose Luis Rivera

Match: Two-on-one handicap match in which it looks for a moment if the Riveras have the big man in trouble, but he overcomes them in the end with a big splash in 12:40

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “Look at the size of him Dick, look at the size of him” (Dick) “You know Victor Rivera’s wife cooks a great rice and bean dish” (Kal) “I’d love to try that one day.”

Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat © vs. Larry Zbyszko for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: Larry does a lot of stalling, stooging and begging off during the body of the match, frequently bailing out of the ring to break Steamer’s momentum and frustrate him. Steamer eventually dominates with arm drags and a couple of suplexes, but Larry lures him out of the ring and suckers him with a chair shot for a count out win at 23:20.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “Look at the body on him Dick! Look at the definition and tone of Ricky Steamboat. All the ladies are going to love this one!” (Dick) “Of course, we remember a few years ago when Zbyszko betrayed Bruno as badly as he did.” (Kal) “How could we forget Dick, it still remains one of the saddest things I can remember in wrestling and Larry should be ashamed of himself”.

Arn Anderson and Lars Anderson vs. Johnny Powers and Dean Ho

Match: Powers puts up a very good fight, but he takes a tumble outside the ring where Ole and Gene are hiding in wait and pin him down and beat him to a pulp. Meanwhile Arn and Lars isolate Dean Ho in the ring and annihilate him. With Powers laid out outside the ring, the four Anderson “hang, draw, and quarter” Ho at 9:00. After the match, Jack Brisco, co-holder of the WWF tag titles, runs in and the Anderson bail.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Dick) “Johnny Powers has a tremendous reputation around the world, especially in Japan where he’s had epic battles with Antonio Inoki” (Kal) “I don’t like these Andersons, Dick, they have a 4 on 2 advantage!” (Kal) “Oh no! This is terrible! Someone call security!!” (Dick) “Jack Brisco!!! Of course, his brother Jerry with whom he holds the WWF World Tag titles is currently injured after the Andersons pulled this same stunt in New York.”

Mr. Fuji vs. Chief Thundercloud

Match: Fuji wins in 7:22 with the salt in the eyes.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “Did you ever try sushi, Dick? You'd think it wouldn't be tasty being raw fish, but I can't get enough of it.”

Standing in the middle of the ring, Kal Rudman welcomes WWF Champion Nick Bockwinkel and his manager Bobby Heenan for a special interview

Kal: Nick Bockwinkel, how does it feel to be the man who ended the reign of Bob Backlund?

Bockwinkel: You’ve got to understand, little man, that professional wrestling is not just a physical battle, it is also fought inside the mind. It’s a war of mental attrition and I had already won the mental war before I even stepped into the ring with Mr. Backlund. Not only am I the smartest wrestler to walk this earth, but I have in my corner the smartest manager this sport has ever seen, Bobby Heenan!

Heenan: You’re too kind Nick.

Bockwinkel: But it’s true Brain. We worked out a MASTER PLAN for taking out Backlund that we’ve been planning for months. I studied video tape, we worked out a coherent gameplan. It’s called STRATEGY. It’s called TACTICS. So when I stepped into that ring I knew all of Bob Backlund’s moves … and thanks to this man, Backlund didn’t know who he was facing until the moment my name was announced!

Kal: Excuse me though, Mr. Bockwinkel, but didn’t you need to break the rules to win? On the tape I saw, you had your feet on your ropes and it took Blackjack Lanza AND your manager to cheat with weapons to win.

Bockwinkel: You be quiet imbecile. Ignoramus. Let a more educated man tell you the way of the world: the thing that counts is that this gold belt is around my waist and because me and this man Heenan have EVERY POSSIBILITY COVERED, every contingency plan and legal loophole closed, that is the way it is going to remain for a long time!

Kal (incensed): Nick Bockwinkel! First of all, you don’t call me an imbecile in Philadelphia! (crowd goes nuts, Bockwinkel looks shocked that Kal would stand up to him …)

Heenan: Back off Rudman, you’re talking to the WWF Champion!!

Kal: Well if he’s such a great champion, why won’t you grant Bob Backlund a rematch? He’s a … he’s a coward!

Heenan: I control the title shots and Bob Backlund is right down the bottom of the pecking order, he needs to EARN a title shot, and clearly he is no match for Nick Bockwinkel as he’s just proved.

Kal: So, with respect to SD Jones, who I love, but Backlund is below Jones in the pecking order? He’s a coward!

Heenan: I warn you Rudman, speak to the WWF Champion like that again, I DARE you!

Kal: Well I’m just telling it like it is and these people need to know …

Heenan reaches into his pocket looking shifty …

Kal: Admit it Heenan, he’s ducking Bobby Backlund!

Heenan NAILS Kal with a pair of brass knucks, as Bockwinkel sneers. The crowd is completely aghast with shock. They erupt with cheers when Bob Backlund runs in. Before he can get to them, Bockwinkel and Heenan run as fast as they can to be back. Backlund checks on Rudman who is out cold. Dick Graham has left the booth to check on his broadcast partner. The crowd seems to be in legitimate shock. Rudman is stretchered out.

After a brief break, Dick Graham comes back to the booth. Gorilla Monsoon comes to the booth to replace the injured Rudman. Monsoon says he can’t believe the heinous act by Bockwinkel and Heenan and says he thinks they should be fined and suspended and that Bockwinkel should be stripped of the title and Heenan stripped of his manager’s license. He says there’s just NO place in the world of professional wrestling for acts like that. “He’s a broadcaster, not a wrestler! It’s DISGRACEFUL!”

The Destroyer vs. Fred Curry

Match: This is worked very technically featuring a lot of limbwork and struggle from both guys. Crowd is mostly quiet for this as they are coming down from what they’ve just witnessed. Match ends in a time limit draw at 20:00

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla): “We’ve witnessed one of the worst things I can ever recall in professional wrestling tonight Dick Graham, how are you doing?” (Dick) “I’ll admit I’m shaken up Gorilla, and I’m sure you’ll join me and all of our fans in wishing Kal Rudman a speedy recovery, I’ll be going to the hospital as soon as we’re finished here.” (Dick): “Both of these men are known around the world as being some of the best technical wrestlers anywhere … but I’m sorry, Gorilla, I’m finding it difficult to concentrate … I just can’t believe what happened!”

Nick Bockwinkel © vs. SD Jones for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

As Bockwinkel and Heenan try to make their way to the ring, the crowd boos crazily, they throw trash at them and are in an almost riotous mood. Bockwinkel goads them with an imperious expression. Heenan points to the belt and smiles.

Match: Bockwinkel totally outclasses Jones, who does get in some token offense, but Bockwinkel has an answer for almost everything he does and pins him easily at 5:22. Crowd boos very loudly, some fans are on their feet. After the match, Heenan comes into the ring and starts dropping knees on the fallen Jones, as Bockwinkel holds him down. One fan has to be restrained by security as Bob Backlund runs down to the ring and gets a shot in on Bockwinkel as Heenan flips over the top rope as fast as he can. Backlund roars in frustration and anger as Bockwinkel slips out of the ring and holds his hand aloft.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Dick) “It sickens me just seeing these two now, professional impartiality be damned! I’m fully supporting SD Jones in this match!” (Gorilla) “This isn’t fair: Bockwinkel and Heenan have probably known they’d be facing Jones for weeks and it was only announced two days ago. Look, everything Jones does it’s like Bockwinkel already knows!” (Dick) “Bob Backlund! Bob Backlund! Backlund is here! Go on, GET HIM BOB!!”

8340837_orig.jpg

Jul 13th, 1983

The hosts are Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes.

Joe McHugh: Promoted by Phil Zacko. Supervised by the State Athletic Commission, the honourable JJ Benz Chairman. And Francis Walker is the Executive Secretary. And the officials assigned: Deputy Commission Peter Lash. The doctor in attendance at ringside, Dr George Zahorian. The timekeeper at the bell: Mike Griffin. The referees for this hour of wrestling: Billy Capouto, Gilberto Roman, Dick Woehrle. And my name is …. Jooeeeeeeeeee McHugh!

Tommy Rogers vs. Swede Hanson

Match: A tough bout for Rogers who gets himself in trouble from early on after Hanson jumps him and denies the shine. He controls with a long arm bar, stomps and knee drops. But Rogers finds determination and inner fire to come back and win with an inside cradle at 19:15. Hanson is right back up after the pin and treats it like a big upset.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Lord Al) “This is a big test for the young man, Tommy Rogers, he hasn’t faced a man of the calibre of Swede Hanson before” (Gorilla) “What guts and determination we’re seeing from Rogers!”

El Gran Apollo vs. Tony Russo

Match: Impressive victory for Apollo with a flying crossbody in 5:45.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Lord Al) “El Gran Apollo continues to look very good here on WWF Challenge”

Video package recap of events at Philadephia Spectrum including the Nick Bockinkel and Bobby Heenan’s dastardly attack on Kal Rudman and Bob Backlund running in after the Bockwinkel vs. Jones match. Runs about 15:00.

Victor Rivera vs. Jerry Monti

Match: Rivera seems to make hard work of this and Monti has several hope spots and even makes a comeback, but Rivera finishes him after a kneedrop from the top rope in 13:44.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla): “Fans outside of Philadelphia might not know Kal Rudman very well, but he’s very well known in that town and I’ll never forget for the rest of my life what Bockwinkel and Heenan did last night. I’m still shocked by it.” (Gorilla) “Victor Rivera hasn’t been having a lot of luck winning matches recently and he’s looking to get back on track here against Jerry Monti” (Lord Al) “Well, Gorilla, you’d have to make him the favourite”

Bob Backlund vs. The Goon

Match: Backlund is in “psycho” mode here and destroys The Goon is under a minute with an atomic piledriver at 0:36.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Backlund is understandably very upset at recent events. I’m sure he’d like to do that to Nick Bockwinkel, who won’t grant him a rematch!”

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Fieldhouse in Hamburg, PA (TV Taping for WWF Superstars)

Jul 13th, 1983

The host is Vince McMahon.

Bret Hart vs. Tony Colon

Match: Bret Hart wins the sharpshooter at 4:54. During the match he delivered a piledriver, a backbreaker and a vertical suplex.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Gorilla Monsoon has dubbed the young Bret Hart ‘the excellence of execution’, and he sure does look excellent!”

Video package recap of events at Philadephia Spectrum including the Nick Bockinkel and Bobby Heenan’s dastardly attack on Kal Rudman and Bob Backlund running in after the Bockwinkel vs. Jones match. Runs about 15:00.

We are now taken to weekly segment on WWF Superstars: The Superstar’s Supershow! A talk show hosted by former WWF Champion Superstar Billy Graham. His guest this week is former WWF Champion Bob Backlund. They discuss the events at the Spectrum from this past Tuesday. Backlund is in full psycho mode once again as he rants about how Nick Bockwinkel and Bobby Heenan have screwed him out of the title, how their attack on Kal Rudman was disgraceful and cowardly, and how Bockwinkel’s refusal to grant a rematch proves that he is simply scared to face him again. Backlund says that he is going to be taking a case to the WWF President Hisashi Shinma and if he fails to get any traction will seek a personal audience with NWA President Jim Crockett Jr in Greensboro because he DEMANDS JUSTICE. The whole segment takes about 15:00

Dr. Death Steve Williams and Bobby Eaton vs. Dominic Denucci and Jack Armstrong

Match: Jack Armstrong starts out and Williams and Eaton isolate him completely. Williams hits a scoop powerslam after which Eaton hits a legdrop from the top for 1, 2, 3 at 3:55. Denucci never even got to tag in.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “What you saw there was superb teamwork from this young team. Williams and Eaton are moving up the tag tanks and may want a shot at Jack and Jerry Brisco’s tiltes soon!”

Arn, Ole and Lars Anderson vs. SD Jones and The Animals (George Steele and “Crazy” Luke Graham)

Match: Jones and the Animals get a lot of offense on Arn here and cut off the ring early to work a fairly lengthy shine, but Arn eventually gets a tag to Lars who manages to isolate Graham and goes to work on his leg. Him and Ole double team the leg and after a while Arn recovers and joins in with a triple team. Graham eventually gets a hot tag to SD Jones but Arn cuts him off dead with a spinebuster. Ole hits his kneedrop from the top for 3 at 18:00.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “These Andersons are such an efficient unit. It remains to be seen if ANYONE can stop them.” “Of course, Jerry Brisco is currently injured at their hands, and he will want to come back before the 30-day period of defense of the WWF tag titles expires or the Briscos will have to forfeit the titles. This apparently is what Ole Anderson has said he wants to happen.”

WWF-1983-1995-logo.gif

WWF @ Manchester, NH - JFK Coliseum - Civic Center - July 14, 1983

1. Jack Brisco defeated Lars Anderson in 13:22 by DQ after outside interference by Arn and Ole Anderson. After the match all four Anderson tried to pin Brisco down, but he fended them off and escaped.

2. Baron Mikel Scicluna defeated Jack Carson in 13:14 with a concealed foreign object.

3. Blackjack Lanza (w/ Bobby Heenan) defeated Dominic Denucci in 9:09 after Bobby Heenan pulled Denucci's leg coming of the ropes from an Irish whip.

4. WWF Intercontinental Champion Ricky Steamboat defeated Arn Anderson in 22:00 with an inside cradle. Before the match the referee ordered Gene Anderson back to the locker room and barred the other Andersons from ringside also.

San Diego, CA - Sports Arena - Olympic Auditorium - July 15, 1983

1. Mil Mascaras fought The Destroyer to a time limit draw after 20:00.

2. Fred Curry defeated Man Mountain Link in 5:40 after a dropkick.

3. Johnny Powers defeated Victor Rivera in 9:27 with a rolling cradle.

4. Superstar Billy Graham and Bob Backlund defeated The Sheik and Bruiser Brody by countout in 14:20 after The Sheik threw a fireball at Graham which missed.

hqdefault.jpg

WWF at Boston Garden

Jul 19th, 1983

Gorilla Monsoon opens the show. The phrases “jam-packed to the rafters” and “this is a happening” are both uttered. He’s still disgusted at the actions of Nick Bockwinkel and Bobby Heenan. Gary Michael Cappetta with the introductions.

Johnny Powers vs. Baron Mikel Scicluna

Match: Powers beats Scicluna with the Powerlock in 7:32. During the match Scicluna hid a foreign object down his tights.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Johnny Powers here, he’s some kind of athlete”.

Superstar Billy Graham vs. Mr. Fuji

Match: Graham wins after a standing powerslam in 9:40. During the match Mr. Fuji tried to throw salt in Graham’s eyes but missed.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Superstar Graham, he’s spending more of his time in the TV studio than in the wrestling ring these days, but he’s still got it.”

Jack Brisco vs. Arn Anderson

Match: Brisco defeats Anderson after Anderson passed out while in the figure-four leglock after 24:50. During the match the referee sent Gene Anderson back to the locker room and barred Ole and Lars from ringside for the duration of the match. Brisco comes in a house of fire, still angry and upset about the injury to his brother. Anderson works a good heat sequence and hits his spinebuster after Gene tripped Brisco for the transition. Brisco made a strong comeback however and didn’t release the figure-four for several minutes after the match.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Jack Brisco has fire in his eyes and revenge in his belly.” “After what the Andersons did to his brother, you can tell that Jack Brisco is out to hurt Arn Anderson here today” “Good! That no good Gene Anderson shouldn’t be out here anyway! He doesn’t have a manager’s license” “Anger and frustration getting the better of the Oklahoman here, he’s going to do Anderson a serious injury if he doesn’t release that hold.”

The Destroyer vs. SD Jones

Match: The Destroyer wins after headbutting Jones with a “loaded” mask in 6:00. The Destroyer plays it cheap here and more heelish than their last encounter.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Another impressive victory for ‘The Intelligent Sensational Destroyer’. It looks like SD Jones still hasn’t recovered from that dirty trick that was played on him in his title match against Nick Bockwinkel.”

Ricky Steamboat © vs. Larry Zbyszko for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: The match ended in a time limit draw at 30:00. Steamboat came out guns blazing this time with armdrags and controlling for the first ten minutes with armwork. Larry was not able to stall like he did in the first encounter. He managed to gain control after an eye gouge and showed off a variety of offensive moves such as karate kicks, a piledriver and a swinging neckbreaker. He focused mostly on Steamboat’s neck and the heat sequence goes a good fifteen minutes until Larry gets on a chinlock that signals Steamer’s comeback. The momentum swings back and we hit a series of nearfalls until the time expires.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “You’ve got to give it to Larry Zbyszko, he may be a terrible human being, but he sure can wrestle” “Ricky Steamboat one of the most incredible specimins I’ve ever seen in a wrestling ring”. “You’re not going to beat a man of Zbyszko’s calibre without hooking the leg!” “What a great match! This is one of the greatest matches I’ve ever seen”

Bob Backlund vs. Blackjack Lanza

Match: Backlund defeated Lanza after an atomic piledriver in 9:12. During the match Bobby Heenan stood on the apron and Backlund punched him off to a loud ovation from the crowd.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “This snake Bobby Heenan, he won’t let Backlund have a rematch for his WWF title, so Backlund has to face one of his cronies instead” “Lanza, a former WWF tagteam champion, but these days he’s mostly a bodyguard to that weasel Bobby Heenan” “Backlund hasn’t lost a step and in my view is still the rightful WWF champion”

Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Dominic Denucci for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Before the match Bobby Heenan steps into the ring and demands Cappetta to hand him the microphone.

Heenan: Introducing first, if he can make it to the ring after eating all that spaghetti and pizza … from the country of Italy … allow me to introduce to you the greaseball … he’s surely seen better days …. Ladies and gentlemen, one of the true goofballs in all of wrestling (mock Italian accent) he-a hasn’t-a won-a a match-a since 1963 …. Dominic Denucci!!!

Denucci comes down the aisle and stands there looking a mixture of aggravated and humiliated. He has the look of a man who knows he’s been setup.

Heenan: Hey Dominic! Dominic, here dummy! How do Italian girls shave their legs? They lie down outside and have someone mow them.

Dominic looks really pissed off now.

Heenan: If Tarzan and Jane were Italian, what would Cheetah be? The least hairy of the three!

Dominic charges towards the ring, a ball of anger. Just as he does so Nick Bockwinkel seemingly out of nowhere ambushes him from behind with a chopblock to the knee. He has a pair of brass knucks on and lays Denucci out. Heenan makes his way from the ring and comes in with cheap stomps. Denucci is basically KO’d. Bockwinkel gets into the ring now. He demands that the referee, for this bout Mario Salvoldi, rings the bell. The ref doesn’t seem to know what to do, but Bockwinkel is insistent and the bell rings. Denucci is still out cold. Bockwinkel looks at the ref again, “count him!” “I said … COUNT”. Salvodi reluctantly does so …

Match: Bockwinkel defeated Dominic Denucci by countout in 0:10. After the match Bob Backlund ran to the ring but Bockwinkel and Heenan immediately ran away and all Backlund could do was check on the unconscious Denucci.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Oh can someone put a stop to this!” “I’m just sickened to the back teeth. Is there anything that these two … CRIMINALS won’t stoop to?”

8340837_orig.jpg

Jul 20th, 1983

Hosts are Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes.

Joe McHugh: Promoted by Phil Zacko. Supervised by the State Athletic Commission, the honourable JJ Benz Chairman. And Francis Walker is the Executive Secretary. And the officials assigned: Deputy Commission Peter Lash. The doctor in attendance at ringside, Dr George Zahorian. The timekeeper at the bell: Mike Griffin. The referees for this hour of wrestling: Billy Capouto, Alberto Roman, Dick Woehrle. And my name is …. Jooeeeeeeeeee McHugh!

Dean Ho vs. The Goon

Match: Ho wins after a karate chop in 7:00, this was quite a slow and plodding match.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Former WWF Tag-Team Champion, Dean Ho, maybe not quite as active in the gymnasium as he once was, your Lordship” (Lord Al) “Haw haw haw, we watch this ‘Goon’ fellow seemingly week in and week out Gorilla, and he never seems to pick up a win!”

El Gran Apollo vs. Baron Mikel Scicluna

Match: Scicluna wins by count out after 7:43. Apollo dominated until Scicluna went into his tights to get his foreign object; Apollo charged towards him with a flying cross-body but Scicluna ducked out of the way leaving Apollo crashing out of the ring and injuring arm. He could not beat the ten count to get back into the ring.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Lord Al) “This is a classic encounter of young, speed and energy against cunning, experience and know how. An intriguing matchup.” (Gorilla) “The Baron got lucky with this one, your Lordship”. (Lord Al) “A win is a win, Gorilla.”

Video package recap of events at Boston Garden including highlights of Brisco vs. Anderson, Steamboat vs. Zbyszko and the angle featuring Dominic Denucci, Bobby Heenan, Nick Bockwinkel, and Bob Backlund. Runs about 15:00.

Jack and Jerry Brisco © vs. Dr. Death Steve Williams and Bobby Eaton for the WWF Tag Team Championship, Special 30-minute challenge

Match: The Briscos won when Bobby Eaton submitted to Jack Brisco’s figure-four leglock in 28:14. Eaton and Williams gained control early on focusing on Jerry Brisco’s recovering leg injury, they spend over 15 minutes destroying Jerry’s leg. But eventually Jerry made the hot tag eventually to his brother who was a house of fire and dominated until Steve Williams cut him off. But Jerry rallied to dump Williams out of the ring giving Jack enough time to hook on the figure-four to Eaton.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Jerry Brisco!!! He’s here and the Briscos are going to defend their titles. Jerry has been gone for what is it now? Three weeks, but it looks like that leg is finally recovering. Of course, it was injured by the Andersons, who I’m told are NOT here tonight.” (Lord Al) “This young combination of Eaton and Williams have been extremely tough competitors in recent weeks and whatever you make of their tactics, you have to give it to them, they have surely earned this shot at the Brisco’s titles.” (Lord Al) “You have to fear for Jerry Brisco, I don’t know how much more his leg can take. He has a lot of spirit, but perhaps he has come back a week too early” (Gorilla) “Well you know the Briscos were not going to forfeit the belts due to the 30-day limit, that would be playing into Ole Anderson’s hands” (Gorilla) “Terrific match! The Briscos showed here exactly why they are champions!”

Jul 20th, 1983

The host is Vince McMahon.

Ole Anderson vs. SD Jones

Match: Ole Anderson wins with a flying knee drop in 10:45. Gene and Lars Anderson were at ringside and during the bout constantly tripped Jones up and distracted the referee.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Something has got to be done about this situation with the Andersons at ringside. They say strength in numbers is crucial, but this is ridiculous! Poor SD Jones is outnumbered 3 to 1!”

Video package recap of events at Boston Garden including highlights of Brisco vs. Anderson, Steamboat vs. Zbyszko and the angle featuring Dominic Denucci, Bobby Heenan, Nick Bockwinkel, and Bob Backlund. Runs about 15:00.

The Superstar’s Supershow! Billy Graham’s guests this week are The Andersons. Segment runs about 10:00.

Graham: What do you say to your critics who say that you can’t win matches without having two or even three of your brothers helping you out?

Ole: Shut. Your. Mouth. Glitter man. We Andersons are WRESTLERS. Who are you? A bodybuilder, a rock star wannabe, a strutting, peacock who doesn’t know a wrist lock from a wrist watch!

Graham (getting angry): I held the WWF title for 11 months! What titles did you ever hold?!

Ole: I told you to shut your mouth Graham. Gene here, he doesn’t like people with a big mouth, they rub him the wrong way. *The camera pans to Gene Anderson who is silent and looking generally unimpressed)

Graham: Are you threatening me?

Ole: NO, I’m making you a … *without warning Gene stands up, Graham stands up and they go nose to nose. As they are squaring off, Arn Anderson sneaks round the back into the classic school boy and Gene simply pushes Graham over Arn’s back. Ole and Lars start laughing their asses off*

Ole: For YEARS they’ve tried to drive a wedge between us, no where could handle all four of us MAGNIFICENT ANDERSONS in one place at one time. But now, in 1983 we’re here in the North East to teach all of you fans what pro wrestling means. *He looks at Graham on the floor*

Ole: We don’t wear stupid earrings or feather boas. We don’t play rock music. We don’t … present talk shows like this good for nothing … we WRESTLE. We live to break bones. Now Jack Brisco, I heard from my people that your brother is getting better. So how much longer are you going to HIDE from us? How much longer are you going to keep those belts that rightfully belong to us? Whether it is me and Gene, Lars and Arn, Gene and Arn, or me and Lars, or Gene and Lars, or me and Arn YOUR days are numbered. We are the number 1 contenders, the number 2 contenders, numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6! You will not deny us. We will follow you wherever you go until those belts come to where they belong.

Bob Backlund vs. Victor Rivera

Match: Backlund wins in 8:20 by submission with a Crossface Chickenwing.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Bob Backlund obviously very frustrated here that Bobby Heenan and Nick Bockwinkel have dodged him at every turn and denied him his rightful rematch for the WWF title. But Backlund is a competitor, and he won’t give up, even if it means climbing back up the ranks match by match!”

Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Bret Hart for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Match: Bockwinkel pinned Hart with an inside cradle in 17:23. During the match Bret Hart showed some good offense, but found himself out manoeuvred by Bockwinkel who, for example, was able to trip him up by tapping the backs of his ankles when he was running the ropes. Bobby Heenan also interfered in the match by distracting Bret Hart long enough for Bockwinkel to hook in the inside cradle.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “The very arrogant Nick Bockwinkel looks like he might be getting more than he bargained for here against this very promising young star Bret Hart”

WWF-1983-1995-logo.gif

WWF @ Johnstown, PA - Cambria County War Memorial Arena - July 18, 1983.

The Animals (Steele and Luke Graham) defeated Steve King and “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty in 6:42. During the match Steele seemed to have some confusion over how to tag in and out and Graham was only able to enter the match by slapping him on the back.

Dominic Denucci defeated Blackjack Lanza in 7:40 with an airplane spin after some miscommunication between Lanza and his manager Bobby Heenan

WWF Tag Team Champions Jack and Jerry Brisco defeated Gene and Lars Anderson by DQ after Arn and Ole Anderson interfered in 14:00. After the match Jerry Brisco was "hung, drawn and quartered" by The Andersons while Jack Brisco was knocked out.

WWF Intercontinental Champion Ricky Steamboat defeated Mr. Fuji in 18:34 with a body splash from the top rope. Early on in the match Steamboat was blinded by Mr. Fuji’s salt.

WWF @ Cleveland, OH - Convention Center - July 19, 1983

The Fabulous Moolah won an 11-woman Battle Royale in 15:00 by throwing Wendi Richter over the top rope with illegal assistance from Leilani Kai. The match also featured Princess Victoria, Velvet McIntyre, Debbie Combs, Donna Day, Judy Martin, Penny Mitchell, Susan Star and Joyce Grable.

Man Mountain Link defeated Jack Armstrong in 2:33 with a running knee drop.

Andre the Giant defeated Bruiser Brody and The Sheik in 16:30 after Andre pinned Brody shortly following The Sheik accidentally throwing a fireball in Brody’s face. After the match Brody had to be stretchered out and sent to hospital for facial buns.

NWA World Champion Harley Race wrestled Mil Mascaras to a 30:00 time limit draw. The match was wrestling two out of three falls with the time expiring at one fall a piece. In the first, Mascaras