JerryvonKramer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meadlow.jpg

WWF at The Meadowlands, East Rutherford, NJ

Jul 26th, 1983

Gorilla Monsoon is your host. Gary Michael Cappetta with the introductions.

SD Jones vs. Baron Mikel Scicluna

Match: SD Jones defeats Baron Scicluna with an atomic drop in 12:33. During the match Scicluna constantly hid a foreign object down his tights.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “SD Jones here, trying to regain his mojo after a disappointing few weeks for the man from Trinidad”.

Andre the Giant vs. The Destroyer

Match: Andre pins The Destroyer in 7:43 after a headlock takeover that hit with real force. During the match Andre proved too big and strong for Destroyer’s attempts at arm work.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Andre the Giant does it again, and The Destoyer ain’t no slouch, but Andre is no ordinary human being.”

Jack and Jerry Brisco © vs. Lars and Ole Anderson for the WWF Tag Team Championship

Match: Jack Brisco pinned Lars Anderson in 14:32 with a splash after hitting a butterfly suplex. The match started with Lars and Ole jumping Jerry isolating him with severe clubbing blows and kicks. The match was worked at a fast pace. Jack Brisco was not able to receive the “hot tag” from his brother until the 12 minute mark, but made short work of Lars thereafter.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “No sign of Gene or Arn tonight, you gotta wonder how they work out who turns up in the Anderson family” “Jerry Brisco has a lot of heart but he really shouldn’t be in the ring if you ask me. The man is clearly still injured.” “Jack Brisco is an incredible wrestler, so much experience and ring smarts, but what can he do if he’s on the wrong side of that apron?” “THE BRISCOS, retain the tag titles! And Ole Anderson’s plans are foiled yet again.”

An interview now by Gorilla Monsoon with Bobby Heenan

Monsoon: Bobby Heenan! What is the meaning of tonight’s match-up? First of all, how can you be wrestling … your own client? Second of all, how can anyone believe that YOU are the number one contender for the title.

Heenan: I beg your pardon? I am a very fine wrestler thank you very much, I have over 20 years’ experience in the ring. I have more up here than the likes of you, Monsoon ever had. See, for a man like you – a big boned man like you – wrestling was probably a piece of cake, I mean you ate a lot of cake sure, like you always eat those hot dogs – but you never had to train or think about what you were doing being over 400lbs.

Monsoon: I did train very hard you … WEASEL. I was on the Olympic team.

Heenan *checking his watch and yawning*

Monsoon: What are you … ?

Heenan: Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realise I was at an old-timer’s convention.

Monsoon: You still haven’t answered the key issue here, how why are you taking on your own man, Nick Bockwinkel – your MEAL TICKET – for the WWF title?

Heenan: I have been training extensively and am recognised around the world as a top contender for the title. How can anyone think otherwise? In the interests of … good sporting competition, and in his very good grace, Bockwinkel accepted the match.

Monsoon: I smell a rat!

Heenan: You have such little faith, Monsoon. I’ve been studying the tapes and working very hard to get up to the level required for this momentous match.

Monsoon: Have you even had a match this … YEAR? I haven’t seen you in that ring since you turned up.

Heenan: I didn’t want for all of these people to see what skills I’ve got. So they can be surprised when I bring my advanced tactics to the ring.

Monsoon: So for the last time, this match tonight for the title is on the level?

Heenan (looking incredibly shifty): 100% Monsoon, would you expect anything less?

Monsoon: Well if you ask me, Heenan, you should be locked up and in jail. I saw what you and the champion did to Kal Rudman in Philadelphia.

Heenan: Well, he stuck his nose where it wasn’t wanted and I have to protect my business interests. I’m a business man. I’m a professional. I protect the interests of my clinets!

Monsoon: Protect their interests by facing them in matches and trying to take their titles?

Heenan: You are twisting my words now.

Monsoon: What about Bob Backlund? He hasn’t been given a single rematch ever since … YOU and that crony of yours Lanza screwed him out of the title. When is he ever going to get a rematch?

Heenan: Monsoon …

Monsoon: What?

Heenan: You’re forgetting I might be champion by the time this night is through. Nick Bockwinkel! (fired up now) Listen to me … we go back a long way you and I but if you think for one moment I will let up on you tonight … well you might wake up looking at the ceiling and I will have the belt around my waist!

Ricky Steamboat © vs. Larry Zbyszko for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: Larry Zbyszko won the match after it was stopped for excessive blood loss at 13:23. Larry suckered Steamboat coming into the ring with a concealed pencil-like object cutting him open in the early moments of the match. He controlled much of the action. When Steamboat started to make a comeback, he dumped him outside of the ring and smashed a chair over his head. With Steamboat now bleeding profusely, the referee stopped the bout.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “We’ve seen these two have some great matches, let’s see if we get another one tonight” “Zbyszko hasn’t even tried to wrestle here, this is a fight and he’s playing as dirty as they come!” “The referee has called this one, the title cannot change hands for blood stoppage, the champion must be pinned or submit, and Larry Zbyskzo despite all his low down tactics, could not make Ricky Steamboat do that!”

Nick Bockwinkel © vs Bobby Heenan for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Match: Nick Bockwinkel defeated Bobby Heenan by count out in 12:32. As the match started Heenan and Bockwinkel shook hands and proceeded to work an extremely technically sound match with clean breaks for the first 8 minutes as Heenan worked over Bockwinkel’s arm to start, and soon Bockwinkel took over on Heenan’s leg. But at around the 8:30 mark it became obvious that this match was not truly competitive as Bockwinkel threw a comedy punch at Heenan who proceeded to fly half way across the ring. Heenan stood up and threw comedy punch back which led Bockwinkel to fly almost the entire length of the ring. The crowd started to boo intensely. Laughing to themselves Bockwinkel and Heenan embraced after 12 minutes before Heenan jumped over the top rope and waited for the referee to count him out.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Well, I’ve been proven wrong. I thought I smelt a rat but these two seem to be going at it. Bobby Heenan does know how to wrestle!” “Oh I can see what’s happening here. This is awful. How could … will these two stop at nothing? This isn’t even funny, it’s just … DISRESPECTFUL to these fans and to Bob Backlund who would give his right ear for this title shot.” “Something needs to be done … in fact, I’m …” *Gorilla slams down his headset and gets up, crowd goes crazy*

Bockwinkel scoffs at the sight of Monsoon getting in the ring, and Heenan is laughing his ass off. Monsoon demands the mic from Cappetta.

Monsoon: Now listen here, Nick Bockwinkel! This … NONSENSE has got to stop! When are you going to start facing proper competition for that title? That title was held by the great Buddy Rogers. By Bruno Sammartino. By Pedro Morales. By Bob Backlund, the man that YOU have cheated and dodged for weeks now.

Bockwinkel looks smug as Monsoon is talking. He’s openly mocking him. Heenan is behind him making gesutues around his stomach as if to signal that Monsoon is obese.

Monsoon: I have connections in this business! I happen to know how these things work. TONIGHT I’m getting on the phone and I’m calling a man who should have been consulted a long time ago: WWF President Hisashi Shinma!!! And well I put together the litany of CRIMES that you have committed since you showed your face here, you are going to lose control of those title shots, license or contract be damned Heenan!

Bockwinkel makes a face as if to say “I’m real scared, not” while Heenan laughs. As Monsoon goes to leave the ring, Bockwinkel sly and quick as anything gives him a low block shot taking his knee out. Heenan immediately goes over and drops a knee on Monsoon’s leg. Bockwinkel applies the figure four.

Heenan gets on the mic and is almost psychotic with rage.

Heenan: You don’t MESS WITH US! You understand FAT. OLD. MAN! OUR PLAN IS FULLPROOF AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO WILL STOP IT.

Monsoon has passed out with pain as officials and security stream out of the back to pull them off. The crowd has started to throw trash into the ring. One fan even tries to make it over the barrier but is restrained by the police.

Bob Backlund, Ricky Steamboat, SD Jones, and The Briscos all run out, but as they do all four Andersons and Larry Zbyskzko hit the ring. There is a massive brawl in the ring involving security, WWF officials, all of the faces and all of the heels as fans try to make it over the barriers to get involved. And meanwhile in the middle of it, Bockwinkel still has Monsoon in the figure four. There is, of course, no commentary.

The show ends with this mass of humanity in the ring for a night that will go down in infamy.

8340837_orig.jpg

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Allentown, PA (TV Taping for WWF Challenge)

Jul 27th, 1983

The hosts are Gorilla Monsoon and, making his Challenge debut, Superstar Billy Graham. Gorilla is on crutches and has his leg in a cast.

Monsoon: Welcome fans to another edition of WWF Challenge. I’m joined here by one of the greats in this sport, former WWF Champion, Superstar Billy Graham who will be my new co-host here.

Graham: Honour to be joining you here Gorilla, brother. I’m glad to be replacing that stuck up guy you had before. But let me tell you Gorilla, brother. I saw what Bobby Heenan and Nick Bockwinkel did to you in New Jersey, brother. And they got what is coming to them sooner or later. I hope your leg recovers soon from that really heinous attack.

Monsoon: Well thank you Superstar. The doctors have given it a month to heal, but I’ll struggle through. And their bully tactics didn’t work because I still got a call through to WWF President Shinma. They might have won the battle, but I hope I’ve won the war for the WWF. … On another subject, Superstar, what about your talk show, Superstar’s Supershow on Superstars?

Graham: Well Monsoon, when I was asked to do this, I had a choice, and, brother, I wanted to be right here on WWF Challenge with you as the best co-host you could have!

Monsoon: Well alright! And looking forward to it, I am. And now let’s go to our ring announcer for the first match.

Joe McHugh: Promoted by Phil Zacko. Supervised by the State Athletic Commission, the honourable JJ Benz Chairman. And Francis Walker is the Executive Secretary. And the officials assigned: Deputy Commission Peter Lash. The doctor in attendance at ringside, Dr George Zahorian. The timekeeper at the bell: Mike Griffin. The referees for this hour of wrestling: Billy Capouto, Alberto Roman, Dick Woehrle. And my name is …. Jooeeeeeeeeee McHugh!

Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Dean Ho

Match: Steve Williams after a scoop powerslam in 2:34. Williams totally destroyed Ho in a very short amount of time.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “We’ve seen Williams in action in a lot of tagteam matches but, boy, he showed us something here tonight.” (Graham) “Poor Dean Ho didn’t stand a chance.”

Fred Curry vs. El Grim Apollo [Jose Luis Rivera under a hood]

Match: Curry wins with a rolling cradle in 6:00. During the match “El Grim Apollo” aped a lot of El Gran Apollo’s standard spots, but slightly mistimed or miscued. Curry worked a lot of drop kicks.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Well this … newcomer to the WWF is calling himself El GRIM Apollo” (Graham) “What happened to El Gran Apollo?” (Gorilla) “The going was too tough for him here, the competition was too stiff, he couldn’t handle the pace and standard of competition and hightailed it back to wherever he came from.” (Graham) “Indeed, Gorilla brother, the WWF has only the highest calibre athletes anywhere in the sport, if you aren’t at the top of your game, you will never make it up through the ranks of this company” (Gorilla) “Well El Gran is outta here, sometimes a guy is just a flash in the pan. It takes a lot to make it in the big leagues.”

Video package recap of events at Meadowlands focusing on Nick Bockwinkel and Bobby Heenan’s farcical match up and their devastating attack on Gorilla Monsoon which followed. Runs about 15:00.

Bobby Eaton vs. Jerry Monti

Match: Eaton pins Monti after 3:40 after a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. Your basic squash.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla): “This young man Bobby Eaton has so many offensive weapons. As good as Steve Williams looked earlier, here is tag-team partner is looking just as deadly!”

Man Mountain Link vs. Tony Russo

Match: Link throws Russo out of the ring after 2:50 to pick up a countout victory. Just another squash.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “For as big as Man Mountain Link is, you’d think he’d be able to do this to guys who are more seasoned than Tony Russo, but he hasn’t had the best streak of luck lately.”

The Animals (George Steele and Crazy Luke Graham) vs. “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty and Randy Barber

Match: The Animals won in 1:34 after George Steele fell on top of Barber for a three count. Another squash.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Graham): “Well of course, Luke Graham is my brother, Gorilla. I mean my actual brother. I got a lot of brothers you know, brother.” (Gorilla) “Well, Superstar, your brother sure made short work of this one.” (Graham): “He was WWF Tag-team champion once you know” (Gorilla) “Yes, I remember. Actually a couple of times, once with Tarzan Tyler and the other time with that other brother of your Dr. Jerry Graham” (Graham): “These Andersons can talk a lot about who is the best family in wrestling, you won’t find more gold in the cabinet than in the Graham family, brother.”

Mr. Fuji vs. Chief Thundercloud

Match: Mr. Fuji wins after a legdrop from the top rope in 10:09. During the match Fuji dominated for the main, even though Thundercloud tried to make a comeback with the war dance, he was cut off and destroyed.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla): “Well Indians sure aren’t like they used to be round these parts. The Devious One here with an impressive victory.” (Graham): “Hey, Gorilla, this Thundercloud guy is pretty old looking isn’t he?” (Gorilla): “Well Superstar, he’s been in the wrestling game a very long time, he started his career in 1940s.” (Graham): “Well, uh, maybe it’s time for the Chief to step aside and let the Braves and the Squawks fight, y’know brother?”

255px-WWF_Superstars_Of_Wrestling.jpg

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Fieldhouse in Hamburg, PA (TV Taping for WWF Superstars)

Jul 27th, 1983

The host is Vince McMahon.

Bret Hart vs. Baron Mikel Scicluna

Match: Bret Hart wins the sharpshooter at 5:00. During the match he mainly worked the mat with the aging Scicluna, who more than likely couldn’t take the bumps required for any of his higher end offense.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Bret Hart continues to impress us here on WWF Superstars. Some people call him ‘The Hitman’ and you can see why!”

Video package recap of events at Meadowlands focusing on Nick Bockwinkel and Bobby Heenan’s farcical match up and their devastating attack on Gorilla Monsoon which followed. Runs about 15:00.

Tommy Rogers vs. The Goon

Match: Rogers pins the The Goon in 3:30 after a missile dropkick.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Tommy Rogers! Making very short work of The Goon.”

Howard Finkel has a special announcement.

Finkel: Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to a very special guest here on WWF Superstars today, He is the President of the World Wrestling Federation, Mr. Shinma!

A Japanese man in a suit, Mr. Shinma, walks out. Crowd is obviously dead. He hands a written note to Finkel.

Finkel: Mr. Shinma would like me to read out this official statement on behalf of himself and the WWF Board of Directors. …

“WWF Champion Nick Bockwinkel must now defend the title against challengers whom the OFFICIAL WWF BOARD OF DIRECTORS decides is worthy of a competing for the belt. After his conduct over the past three weeks, Bobby Heenan has been STRIPPED of his ability to decide who challenges for the belt. The contracts he acquired from The Grand Wizard of Wrestling, Fred Blassie and Lou Albano are hereby NULL AND VOID.”

The crowd cheers, and as the do so Heenan and Bockwinkel come storming out of the back. Heenan has that look of despair and anger on his face. Bockwinkel is shaking his head.

Finkel: “Furthermore …”

Heenan and Bockwinkel get up onto the apron.

Finkel: “FURTHERMORE … for bringing their conduct since Mr. Bockwinkel won the title, which includes ambushing an innocent civilian in Philadelphia, the broadcaster Kal Rudman, and injuring WWF announcer Gorilla Monsoon, as well as attacking various other people, AND making a mockery of the WWF title at the Meadowlands last week …. Mr. Bockwinkel and Mr. Heenan are charged with bringing the WWF title INTO DISREPUTE. Therefore, they will be fined a total of $10,000 each for damages. And furthermore, failure to comply will requests for title challenges will lead Mr. Bockwinkel to being STRIPPED of the WWF Heavyweight Championship and Mr. Heenan to being STRIPPED of his managerial license. The WWF President has spoken.”

The crowd cheers as Heenan stomps up and down almost crying, and Bockwinkel is open-mouthed at the pronouncement. They dare not lay a hand on Mr. Shinma. Heenan buries his head in his hands. And we go to a commercial break as they are looking dejected.

Blackjack Lanza vs. Jack Carson

Match: Lanza pins Carson after a lariat in 6:40. He had Carson beat earlier, but pulled him up from the three counter several times. During the match, Lanza’s manager, Bobby Heenan, paced up and down at ringside, clearly distracted by the recent announcement.

Quotation(s) from announcer: “Well, there we have it! They say cheats never prosper and Bobby Heenan and Nick Bockwinkel are about to get what is coming to them. We’ve watched them for a whole month dodge challenges and short-cut their way to title defences. Well Mr. Shinma has spoken, and if you ask me, ladies and gentlemen, it was overdue. Maybe now Bob Backlund will get the justice he deserves.”

After the match Lanza and Heenan go over to talk to Vince at ringside.

Lanza: Jack Carson is nothing but a punk kid. Give me some real competition.

Vince: Well speaking of REAL competition, Bobby Heenan, that’s exactly what Nick Bockwinkel has got isn’t it?

Heenan (completely irate, losing his voice with anger): It’s a conspiracy and a setup job is what it is McMahon. It’s completely unfair. How can this … I’m going to call me lawyer. I’m going to call my attorney. I’m going to go over the blue print in the contract. I’m going to consult every legal expert in this country. 10,000 dollars oh God…! (mutters to himself)

Vince: How about the idea of Nick Bockwinkel defending his belt like a fighting champion should?

At that Bockwinkel himself saunters to ringside. He’s still smug as ever, but looking a little ruffled.

Bockwinkel: This is asasine. This is …. Infantile puerilism of the lowest order. And Mr. Heenan put it very well, it is a CONSPIRACY. But let me tell you, I know what it is like to hold a world title. I am a born champion and even if the authorities in their infinite stupidity wish to stack the odds against me, I will always have a plan and always have a way of coming out with the title intact. Let me educate you little man. Have you heard of the Champion’s Prerogative? The Champion’s Advantage? They have to beat me, I don’t have to beat them.

Vince: Well have you seen the list of challengers who have built up over the time that you have refused to face any of them?

Heenan: Let me see that list! Let me see it! Dammit!

Vince (calmly): Well keep your hair on Bobby Heenan, I’ll read it to you … one, Pedro Morales! (crowd cheers). One, Antonio Inoki, the man who wrestled Mohammed Ali! (more muted cheers). The Junkyard Dog all the way from New Orleans. The American Dream, DUSTY RHODES (loud pop). And …. BOB BACKLUND.

Bockwinkel: I know a certain thing or two about the legality of title defences. I will take on Morales, Inoki, this … “Junk Yard Dog” character. I will even take on Dusty Rhodes. But Bob Backlund needs to earn the right. He is down the bottom of that ladder and he needs to climb his way back up to the top. I’m at the summit of the mountain and he’s down in the mud wallowing about like a pig in muck. He needs to earn the right.

Vince: How can you say that when Backlund has been champion for the past six years? And did you not hear what Mr. Shinma said?

Bockwinkel: Mr. Shinma was very clear. He said that I must comply with requests for the title. He did not say EVERY request. I have said: Morales, Inoki, Junk Yard Dog, Rhodes. These men I have agreed to face and if they can defeat me they will hold this belt. But you understand, I say no to Bob Backlund. He does not have the right to step into the ring with a man of my greatness. He needs to prove himself.

Vince: And how can he do that? How can he ever get you to accept his challenge.

Bockwinkel: You’re a man of little faith McMcMahon. Why don’t you come back here next week, and maybe Mr. Heenan will have the answer for you.

Andre the Giant vs. Arn Anderson

Match: Andre the Giant wins by DQ after 13:22 when Gene, Ole and Lars Anderson all piled into the ring and tried to set him up to be “hung, drawn and quartered”. The Giant was too big, however, and fend all four men off much to the crowd’s delight.

Announcer: “This man from Grenoble, France is AWESOME. All four Andersons in there and still they can’t get the better of the big man. A wonderful main event here on WWF Superstars!”

Really enjoying the Bock run here. I can picture him getting the best out of JYD and Dusty, which should both do pretty good gates.

I also dig the fact that Bret now has his finisher and his nickname, as I sent him down to Stamford in hopes of Parv/Vince giving him those very same tools.

I've always thought Bret was full of shit when he made that comment in his book. I think he actually came to Vince with the cowboy gimmick in tow and was turned down.

He was from Calgary. His family's promotion was called Stampede Wrestling. They ran shows at the rodeo etc. It made sense for him to have a cowboy gimmick.

Also, he worked the "Cowboy" gimmick years before:

https://youtu.be/oM-uNlZ6G-o

WWF-1983-1995-logo.gif

WWF @ Johnstown, PA - Cambria County War Memorial Arena - 7/28/83

Baron Scicluna defeated Jack Carson in 5:00 with a camouflaged punch.

Ole and Gene Anderson defeated The Animals (George Steele and Crazy Luke Graham) in 9:40 after Graham submitted to an Indian deathlock applied by Ole.

WWF Tag Team Champions Jack and Jerry Brisco defated Arn and Lars Anderson by DQ in 17:43 after Ole Anderson interfered while Gene Anderson attempted to distract the referee. After the match the Andersons attempted to "hang, draw and quarter" Jerry Brisco, but he and Jack were able to fend them off and escape with the titles.

WWF Intercontinental Champion Ricky Steamboat defeared Blackjack Lanza in 8:22 with a flash inside cradle.

WWF @ Cleveland, OH - Convention Center - 7/29/83

Wendi Richter won an 11-woman Battle Royale in 15:00 by throwing The Fabulous Moolah over the top rope last shortly before throwing Leilani Kai out. The match also featured Princess Victoria, Velvet McIntyre, Debbie Combs, Donna Day, Judy Martin, Penny Mitchell, Susan Star and Joyce Grable.

Bruiser Brody defeated Superstar Billy Graham with a running knee drop after 8:02. Graham was clearly out powered during this match up.

Bob Backlund defeated The Sheik by count out after giving him an atomic piledriver at 7:45. During the match The Sheik was able to cut Backlund's head with a pencil.

NWA World Champion Harley Race wrestled Mil Mascaras to a draw after both men were counted out after 34:00.

wwfmsg.jpg

WWF at Madison Square Garden

August 2nd, 1983

Howard Finkel announces the arrival of Jesse Ventura who walks down the aisle and joins Vince McMahon on commentary.

Vince: Jesse “The Body” Ventura? To what do we owe this … pleasure?

Jesse: Well I’m ready and I’m hyped McMahon! Because, you see, I’m your new commentary partner. Not only here live from Madison Square Garden, but also on WWF Superstars!

Vince: Well welcome Jesse, I hope this will be a … fruitful partnership. This is a huge night here at Madison Square Garden, where we have FOUR titles on the line. We have not one, but two matches in reserve, but Jesse FOUR titles.

Jesse: Yes, Jack and Jerry Brisco have their hands very full against the fearsome combination of Abdullah the Butcher and The Sheik! I predict that the brothers will struggle against a duo who will break every rule in the book and do anything to win.

Vince: Yes, and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat defends his Intercontinental title against Larry Zbyszko. We’ve seen these two have some classic encounters already. But now what will happen inside the steel cage?

Jesse: Maybe tonight is where the Dragon loses his fire. I saw Larry Zybszko backstage and he’s pumped and ready. And of course, he’s a veteran of cage matches. Famously against Bruno Sammartino at Shea Stadium.

Vince: And in the first of our main events, the NWA World Champion, Harley Race defends against former WWF Champion Bob Backlund. Mr. Race obviously not as particular as Mr. Bockwinkel about who challenges for his title ….

Jesse: Well Nick Bockwinkel has every right to refuse the challenge of Backlund, and besides, you don’t see him turning down the return of Pedro Morales, and this – Madison Square Garden – is Pedro’s back yard.

Vince: Yes, the fans love Morales!

Jesse: They aren’t going to love him for long after Bockwinkel and Heenan rearrange his face!

Vince: Well, we’ll have to see about that …

Jesse: McMahon, there are going to be some changes around here. First of all, I’m going to need some water here on this desk. Get one of those goons to fetch some water. I can’t work under these conditions!

The Goon rushes to ringside carrying a bottle of water for Jesse.

Jesse: I could get used to this. It’s New York, the lights, Broadway, Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro … McMahon, I’m bringing a bit of class to these MEAN STREETS.

Vince: I’m … it’s a pleasure working with you Jesse, now let’s get to this first matchup …

Jesse: McMahon, why doesn’t this chair have an ergonomic back? I want to rock on it and there’s no “give”. How can I work under these conditions? I want a better chair.

Jesse stands up.

Jesse: Hey, you, Goon! Get me a better chair!

The Goon hesitates and looks around, he can’t see anything but the standard fold-up chairs. Jesse loses his patience, grabs his own chair and … bashed The Goon on the head with it, laying him out cold.

Vince: Jes .. What in … Jesse Ventura! Restrain yourself!

Jesse: I guess this chair will have to do for now. Come on, let’s get on to the first match.

Arn and Ole Anderson vs. The Animals (George Steele and Crazy Luke Graham)

Match: Arn Anderson pinned Graham after a spinebuster in 7:04. During the match the Andersons were able to isolate Graham and keep Steele cut off. They worked on Graham’s back. Steele did not get to enter the match legally.

Comments from announcers: (Jesse) “I like these Andersons, they are methodical, they always have a game plan” (Vince) “But thus far unable to capture the tag team gold, despite their efforts against the Briscos” (Jesse) “Look at this idiot, Steele, he doesn’t even know what day it is. You lost the match, go home!”

Jack and Jerry Brisco © vs. Abdullah the Butcher and The Sheik for the WWF Tag Team Championship

Match: The match ended in a no contest at 12:40 with all four men brawling back down the aisle to the locker room. This match was a blood bath, with all four men bleeding. Abdullah and Sheik ambushed Jack Brisco early, frequently entering the ring illegally and cheating outrageously with the use of a concealed foreign object. Eventually Brisco gained possession of the object and was able to tag his brother, Jerry, who came in to the ring a house of fire. Abdullah simply clotheslined the referee and elbow dropped him. But Jerry stabbed both Abdullah and The Sheik repeatedly with the foreign object. Jack and Jerry double teamed them, but The Sheik was able to pull out a second concealed foreign object. Abdullah went into the front row and threw two chairs into the ring. A big and bloody brawl erupted.

Comments from announcers: (Jesse) “McMahon, this is the most brutal match I’ve ever witnessed!” (Vince) “Someone needs to put a stop to these …. Savages running amok!” (Jesse) “They aren’t savages, McMahon, The Sheik is a very shrewd business man, and do not underestimate the cunning of Abdullah the Butcher” (Vince – getting shouty and throaty) “Abdullah the Butcher clotheslined the referee!!! NO! UNBELIEVABLE!” (Vince) “Someone needs to get security out here, these men are going to kill each other”

Man Mountain Link vs. Chief Thundercloud

Match: Link defeats Thundercloud with a slam in 1:40.

Comments from announcers: (Vince) “Can you believe what we have just witnessed in that tag team encounter?” (Jesse) “And McMahon, we still have three more title matches to go!”

Cage Match: Ricky Steamboat © vs. Larry Zbyszko for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: Steamboat escaped the cage by walking out of the door after delivering Zbyszko two consecutive superplexes in 26:00. During the match Zbyszko tried to escape the cage multiple times early on, but Steamboat was able to cut him off each time. He threw Zbyszko into the cage several times and Zbyszko was bleeding profusely. But he turned the tables after being able to nail a karate sweep, and it was Steamboat’s turn to eat the cage. This was a nasty match that featured both men grating the other’s face in the side of the cage. By the time Steamboat left the cage, the ring was covered in blood.

Comments from announcers: (Jesse) “I thought I’d seen everything with the tag match, but this one … I can’t believe what I’m seeing McMahon” (Vince) “It is CARNAGE here tonight at Madison Square Garden, this is a night for the ages!” (Jesse) “I have to give credit where credit is due: Ricky Steamboat made a believer out of me tonight. He fought, he bled, and ultimately, he had too much for Larry Zbyskzko and he retains his Intercontinental title” (Vince) “That is what you call a fighting champion!”

Howard Finkel runs through some upcoming cards and there is an interval while the cage is dismantled. The ring is covered with blood stains.

Harley Race © vs. Bob Backlund for the NWA World Heavyweight Title

Match: The match ended in a draw after both men were counted out in 17:22. Backlund dominated the majority of the match, with “row row” arm wrenches in the early going working up to a huge piledriver and atomic drop. Every time Race attempted to get something going, Backlund had an answer and cut him off. Race was able to deliver a suplex and a gutwrench suplex to Backlund, but the action spilled outside and both men ran into the post in a double collision.

Comments from announcers: (Jesse) “Non-stop world class action here tonight at The Garden, McMahon!” (Vince) “These fans are getting a real feast tonight, Harley Race vs. Bob Backlund would headline anywhere in the country” (Jesse) “Backlund is really giving it to Race here, but remember: he has to beat the champion, the champion does not need to beat him” (Vince) “You’re right, it’s the champion’s advantage, and Harley Race knows exactly how to work that advantage to its maximum” (Jesse) “Another great match, how many is that now?”

Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Pedro Morales for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Prior to the bout Heenan and Bockwinkel looked nervous and Heenan went to fetch Blackjack Lanza as an extra measure. Pedro Morales received a huge ovation from the MSG crowd.

Match: Bockwinkel defeats Morales by pinning him in 18:00 with extra assistance from Bobby Heenan holding down his leg after using a pair of brass knucks to knock him out as Blackjack Lanza distracted the referee. During the match, Pedro started a house of fire until Lanza tripped his leg. Bockwinkel then controlled the early going. Pedro was getting increasingly frustrated at the presence of Heenan and Lanza at ringside, and several times tried to chase Heenan. The firey Puerto Rican was able to make a comeback and looked to be about to defeat Bockwinkel when he got in the concealed punch with the brass knucks.

Comments from announcers: (Jesse) “Pedro Morales needs to realise that it’s not Bobby Heenan he needs to beat, it’s that man in the ring Nick Bockwinkel. It’s not good losing his temper and chasing after the manager, he’ll never win the belt that way” (Vince) “But Jesse! This no good Heenan, this weasel, is interfering in this match up!” (Jesse) “That’s called being SMART, McMahon. That’s why Nick Bockwinkel is the WWF Champion and Pedro Burrito here is FORMER champion” (Vince) Pedro!! Pedro Morales now! Oh healmostgothim NO! UNBELIEVEABLE! Black Jack Lanza, he’s on .. what’s he doing on the apron! Bobby Heenan just threw something into the ring and ohno … this is a TRAVESTY! No, not like this!” (Jesse) “1, 2, 3! He got him! Nick Bockwinkel retains!! Ha ha ha! What about your Pedro Morales now!” (Vince) “Oh he was cheated. President Shinma needs to know about this.” (Jesse) “Oh please McMahon, you and that Gorilla Monsoon going to call the President every time the champion wins? Why can’t you just be happy for him and Bobby Heenan?”

8340837_orig.jpg

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Allentown, PA (TV Taping for WWF Challenge)

Aug 3rd, 1983

Your hosts are Gorilla Monsoon and Superstar Graham.

Joe McHugh: Promoted by Phil Zacko. Supervised by the State Athletic Commission, the honourable JJ Benz Chairman. And Francis Walker is the Executive Secretary. And the officials assigned: Deputy Commission Peter Lash. The doctor in attendance at ringside, Dr George Zahorian. The timekeeper at the bell: Mike Griffin. The referees for this hour of wrestling: Billy Capouto, Alberto Roman, Dick Woehrle. And my name is …. Jooeeeeeeeeee McHugh!

Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Fred Curry

Match: Steve Williams after a scoop powerslam in 4:34. Williams totally destroyed Curry, whose only offense was an attempted dropkick.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Dr. Death has been living up to his name these past few weeks on WWF Challenge!” (Graham) “Gorilla Monsoon, brother, this young man Williams has a bright future ahead of him!”

Dominic Denucci vs. El Grim Apollo [Jose Luis Rivera under a hood]

Match: Denucci with an airplane spin in 3:45. El Grim came to the ring with his tights on back-to-front.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Ha ha, El Grim Apollo! Someone forgot to tell him which way to put those tights on!” (Graham) “Dominic Denucci reeling in the years here, I fought him many times in my career”

Video package recap of events at MSG including highlights of all four title matches (Briscos vs. Sheik and Abdullah, Steamboat vs. Zbyszko, Race vs. Backlund, and Bockwinkel vs. Morales. Runs about 20:00.

Man Mountain Link and Swede Hanson vs. Jerry Monti and Tony Russo

Match: Hanson pins Monti in 8:40 after a kneedrop. During the match, Link and Hanson demonstrated their obvious size advantage, and picked up Monti’s head from being pinned several times, despite the fact he was obviously beat.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla) “Well there’s no need for that, Hanson and Link have made their point, and now they are just being bullies!”

Ricky Steamboat © vs. Bobby Eaton for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: Steamboat pins Eaton after a superplex in 14:55. Eaton did very well in this match gaining control after a couple of arm drags by Steamboat and unloading some high artillery offense on the IC champion. Steamboat showed good fire in coming back for the win though. After the match, as Steamboat was celebrating Macho Man Randy Savage sneaked into the ring behind him with a double ax-handle from the top rope.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Gorilla): “We’ve seen Eaton’s sometime tag partner, Dr. Death earlier this evening, let’s see how this young man does against the intercontinental champion!” (Graham) “Ricky Steamboat is one of the best wrestlers, I’ve ever seen Monsoon. Taking nothing away from Bobby Eaton, he gave as good as it got, but Steamboat is a different class, brothers.” (Gorilla) “WHAT IS THIS NOW … R … Randy Savage?! The Macho Man Randy Savage?! What is he doing here?” (Graham) “Oh I’ve heard all about this guy, Gorilla, he’s one screw short of a full toolbox, alright!” (Gorilla) “Oh what is this? This is a terrible attack by Savage on Steamboat!”

Superstar Graham stands up and motions towards Savage who has been continuing his attack on Steamboat. Once Savage spots Graham, he bails out of the ring and runs back down the aisle. The show ends with Graham checking on a laid out Steamboat.

255px-WWF_Superstars_Of_Wrestling.jpg

WWF at Agricultural Hall in Fieldhouse in Hamburg, PA (TV Taping for WWF Superstars)

Aug 3rd, 1983

Your hosts are Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura

Vince: Hello everybody and welcome to WWF Superstars, and joining me today for the first time … I have the …. Dubious honour of welcoming … Jesse “the Body” Ventura!

Jesse: Well how’s that for a welcome McMahon? “Dubious”? The only thing that is DUBIOUS around here is YOU. Ha ha!

Vince: Well you were with me Tuesday night at the illustrious Madison Square Garden, where we saw Nick Bockwinkel retain the WWF title with assistance from that weasel Bobby Heenan and his stooge Blackjack Lanza.

Jesse: Now just you watch out who you are calling a weasel and a stooge. Bobby Heenan has connections in this business, McMahon. And … well, my connections as a broadcast journalist have told me that Bobby Heenan has … well, let’s say he has something special planned for tonight’s show.

Vince: One can only imagine.

Jesse: And the scoop is all MINE, McMahon. Ha ha.

Vince: Without further ado, let’s get to the first match-up ladies and gentlemen.

Andre the Giant vs. The Goon, Tony Colon, Randy Barber and “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty

Match: Andre pinned The Goon in 12:33. During the match the bad guys were able to quadruple team Andre for a time and keep him in their corner. But Andre’s strength was too much in the end and he swatted them off like flies in order to get the pinfall.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Vince) “Look at the AWESOME strength of Andre the Giant, the 8th wonder of the world!” (Jesse) “But it doesn’t matter how big and tough you are McMahon, if you are out-numbered; I have to make Colon, Barber, Doherty and The Goon favourites here.” (Vince) “Andre the Giant!! UNBELIEVABLE. He overcame FOUR MEN. UN-BEL-IEVABLE!!” (Jesse) “You have to hand it to The Giant, he took on the odds and came out on top”

Video package recap of events at MSG including highlights of all four title matches (Briscos vs. Sheik and Abdullah, Steamboat vs. Zbyszko, Race vs. Backlund, and Bockwinkel vs. Morales. Runs about 20:00.

The Fink: Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time to introduce Jesse “The Body” Ventura …

Jesse gets in the ring wearing his “journalist” Anthony Eden hat with a “press” sign in it, and a green mackintosh.

Jesse: As the most stellar broadcast journalist in the WWF, I have secured a SCOOP that you are not going to believe. Allow me to welcome the premier manager here in the World Wrestling Federation, he is the manager of the WWF Heavyweight Champion, Nick Bockwinkel: Bobby “the Brain” Heenan!!

Bobby Heenan comes into the ring.

Jesse: It’s good to see an old friend!

Heenan and Jesse embrace.

Heenan: Jesse Ventura! I’ve got … something to show you and all of these peons out here. Blackjack!! Wheel em in!

Blackjack Lanza and several wrestlers wearing masks wheel in two GIANT screens, one either side of the ring. Lanza is acting as a sort of foreman directing the masked guys where to put the screens.

Jesse: Wh … Whoa!! What is this Heenan?

Heenan (looking extremely pleased with himself): This, my good man, this is a state of the art satellite link up!! One of these screens is linked up to Houston, Texas. The other is linked to … Tokyo, Japan!!

Jesse: Japan?

Heenan: You see Jesse, my lawyers have been in talks with President Shinma all week. Shinma has yapping his mouth about how Bob Backlund needs a rematch, about how Nick Bockwinkel cannot deny the number one challenger a shot. Well my lawyers have been through all the small print, and … Mr. Shinma is right, Bob Backlund must be granted a rematch. (crowd cheers) BUT, BUT, before all you ignoramuses start yelling and squealing, they been through all the terms and conditions, dotted all the ‘I’s and crossed ever ‘T’ … It doesn’t have to be till SIXTY days as long as Bockwinkel accepts the challengers that Mr. Shinma has lined up for him.

Jesse: So you can note the date? October 4th, Madison Square Garden? Bockwinkel vs. Backlund?!

Heenan: Well, of course, assuming that Mr. Bockwinkel, my esteemed associate and client, not to mention good friend, is still WWF Champion. AND assuming that … Mr. Backlund can … make that date.

Jesse: Intriguing … so are you going to tell us what we are all dying to know? What are these screens Bobby Heenan?

Heenan: Well … Let me just say as every good manager would, I’ve taken out an insurance policy on my investment.

One of the screens flickers on. It’s … Dick Murdoch. The satellite feed is a bit glitchy, but he’s coming though.

Murdoch: Bobby? Bobby my boy? This is Dick Murdoch comin’ through from Japan. Can ya hear ma?

Heenan: Loud and clear, Dick.

Murdoch: Well I gotta message for tha’ ol’ Howdy Doody goofball Bobby Backlund over there. There’s a bounty on ya head BOY and I’m makin’ a special trip half way round to world to come and collect it. There’s a price on ya head and I’m a gonna come over there an’ damn near take that head off, you understan’ me?!

Heenan laughs as the other screen flickers on across the way. Murdoch’s huge face on the screen is now looking at the other screen, and on it appears Ted DiBiase, who is wearing a black glove on one hand.

DiBiase: Backlund! If you can see this, you know already that you are in trouble! My good friend and business associate Bobby Heenan has … PUT THE CALL OUT. Do you understand what that means? Do you understand what a HIT is, Bob Backlund? I’m coming BACK to New York, and this time you people will be seeing a different Ted DiBiase! I’m not that young punk kid you saw in 1979! I’m a champion! And most of all I respect the game. The game that both me and Bobby Heenan and Dick Murdoch and Nick Bockwinkel are all a part of you. The game that YOU, Bob Backlund never learned how to play.

Murdoch: We’re coming for you Backlund!

DiBiase: It’s only a matter of time!

Murdoch: Ya don’t sleep easy at night now boy.

DiBiase: Oh he’ll be sleeping all right! Right out cold in the middle of that ring!

Heenan, Murdoch, DiBiase, Lanza and Ventura all laugh together. Bob Backlund appears down the aisle and puffs up his face and looks angrily in their direction. He shakes his fist and scrunches up his face. And we go to a commercial break.

Arn and Ole Anderson vs. Bret Hart and Tommy Rogers

Match: Ole Anderson pinned Tommy Rogers in 9:00 after Gene Anderson tripped his leg and held his ring. Lars Anderson also interfered in the match and beat up Bret Hart with Arn Anderson as Ole was pinning Rogers. The majority of the match involved the Andersons working over Rogers and cutting off Hart who was on the apron.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Jesse) “I’ve heard a lot about this Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart, but he can’t do anything if he’s standing outside of the ring. The Andersons are showing masterful tactics here, cutting off the ring and making sure that Tommy Rogers can’t tag out” (Vince) “After failing to win the belts from the Briscos, the Andersons have been quietly notching up wins recently.” (Jesse) “I notice that it is usually Arn and Ole who are tagging now, McMahon, and Gene and Lars are there as backup support” (Vince) “Well if you ask me they shouldn’t be allowed at ringside at all” (Jesse) “Don’t you have a family McMahon? Are you jealous?” (Vince) “I am happily married and love my family, you know that Jesse!” (Jesse) “You’re sour grapes McMahon, you never had any brother, oh boo hoo, so you have to take it out on the Andersons …” (Vince) “That’s enough about my family Jesse!” (Jesse) “Why don’t you do your job and call the action? You’re slacking McMahon. Do your job, be a professional!” (Vince) “Will you stop it Jesse!”

Jack and Jerry Brisco © vs. Mr. Fuji and The Destroyer for the WWF Tag Team Titles

Match: Jerry Brisco pins Mr. Fuji after a missile dropkick in 10:07. During the match The Destroyer kept on trying to goad Jack Brisco on apron. Eventually the two of them got into a scuffle outside the ring, and this allowed Jerry enough time to get the pin on Fuji.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Jesse) “Did you know The Destroyer has spent a lot of time in Japan and can speak Japanese? I think that gives he and the devious Mr. Fuji a distinct advantage in this match” (Vince) “But the tag team champions are brothers, and surely that is the truest advantage” (Jesse) “STILL going on about brothers McMahon? You’re really sore ain’t ya?” (Vince) “Enough now Jesse!” (Jesse) “There you go again, why don’t you call the action?” (Vince) “I can get you escorted out of this building!” (Jesse) “After my journalistic scoop earlier? Please, the Pulitzer is already in the mail” (Vince) “And there it is, The Briscos RETAIN! UNBELIEVABLE! Jerry Brisco with such agility pinning Mr. Fuji!”

WWF-1983-1995-logo.gif

WWF @ Harrisburg, PA - Zembo Temple Mosque - 8/4/83

NWA Women's World Tag Team Champions Princess Victoria and Velvet McIntyre defeated Leilani Kai and Judy Martin as Victoria pinned Martin in 12:00 to retain the belts.

NWA Women's World Champion The Fabulous Moolah defeated Wendi Richter by DQ in a lumberjack match in 15:00 after Joyce Grable got into the ring and threw Richter out to the other lumberjacks. The lumbers were all of the other women on the tour.

The Duke of Dorchester Pete Doherty defeated Steve King in 7:33 after landing on top of King who was going for a bodyslam.

The Andersons defeated Ricky Steamboat, SD Jones, Jack and Jerry Brisco when Lars pinned Jones in 24:00. The match ended with all eight men brawling in the ring.

WWF @ Detroit, MI - Cobo Arena - 8/5/83

Chief Thundercloud defeated The Goon in 1:50 with a chop.

Mil Mascaras defeated The Destroyer in 18:04 with a flying body press.

Abdullah the Butcher and The Sheik defeated Victor Rivera and Jose Luis Rivera in 7:33 after the Sheik pinned Jose Luis Rivera. During the match, both Riveras were cut open and bled by Abdullah and The Sheik. This was The Sheiks first match in Detroit since 1980, the crowd cheered him and he was presented as a local legend.

NWA Champion Harley Race drew with Bob Backlund in 60:00. This match was a dramatic affair, starting slowly but building excitingly. Backlund almost pinned Race, but the time expired.

SpectrumLogo2_381w.jpg

WWF at Philadelphia Spectrum

August 9th, 1983

Dick Graham and Kal Rudman introduce the show. Rudman has his neck in a brace after last month’s previous attack. He thanks the fans for all of their cards and well wishes and assures them he is well on the way to recovery. He speaks of how much he wants Bob Backlund to get a chance to beat Nick Bockwinkel who he now really hates. Graham agrees saying that in over 30 years of broadcasting it is one of the worst things he’s ever seen. He also notes that the following week, they tried to break Gorilla Monsoon’s leg in Boston. Rudman is solemn. “They have to be stopped Dick”.

Gary Michael Cappetta introduces the first match.

SD Jones vs. Randy Barber

Match: Jones defeats Barber after a Thesz press in 9:27. Jones was dominant throughout most of the match.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “This Jones, I’m tellin’ ya Dick, he’s really coming of age now. His time is coming I think.” (Dick) “Hell of a nice guy too.” (Dick) “Too bad what happened in his title match up with that terrible Nick Bockwinkel last month”. (Kal) “You don’t need to remind me Dick”

Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat © vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Match: Steamboat retains the belt in 24:00 after a double count out after both men brawled to the back. The match started out with Steamboat gunning for revenge after the attack on WWF Challenge, he dominated with fast-paced arm drags. Savage was able to take over. The pace of the match was very quick and saw Savage come off the top rope several times.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “This Randy Savage, Dick, he’s like a cat, he’s so fast! Look at him, Dick, he’s moving round that ring like … he’s so agile Dick!” (Dick) “I heard that he can get a little testy if anyone talks to his girlfriend” (Kal) “He’s a strange one” (Dick) “The action in this match is unbelievable.” (Kal) “I feel like every time I see Ricky Steamboat it’s the best match I’ve ever seen!”

Jack and Jerry Brisco © vs. Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen for the WWF Tag Team Championship

Match: The Briscos defeated Brody and Hansen by DQ in 10:20 after Brody laid out both Briscos using chairs and left them bloodied in the middle of the ring. Brody and Hansen were dominant for the early part of the match, but Jack Brisco was able to hook Hansen into a Boston Crab and the tag champions worked systematically on his back until Brody lost patience and grabbed the chairs.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal) “Look at these two massive men Dick, I fear for Jack and Jerry Brisco in this match” (Dick) “Bruiser Brody! Stan Hansen! These two men have had a lot of success in a lot of places.” (Kal) “Oh no! Not the chairs! There was no need to do that!”

Bob Backlund vs. Dick Murdoch

Murdoch was accompanied to the ring by Bobby Heenan and Blackjack Lanza.

Match: Dick Murdoch defeated Bob Backlund by forfeit in 16:04 after the referee stopped the match for blood loss. During the match Murdoch was wearing a black glove on his right hand – similar to Blackjack Lanza’s and Ted DiBiase’s – which he “loaded” at different moments to pound on Backlund’s face. Backlund fought back gallantly, but after about 13 minutes he started bleeding a lot and eventually the referee stopped the match.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Kal): “This is another one of that snake Bobby Heenan’s plans. He should be banned from wrestling Dick!” (Dick) “You won’t get any arguments from me after last month. This Dick Murdoch is from Texas, but he’s been flown in especially from Japan for this.” (Kal) “GO ON BOB! GET HIM BOB!” Everytime Backlund gets hit Kal registers an “oooh” or an “ahhh”. He excitedly cheers on every single move he does on offense. (Kal) “GET THAT GLOVE OFF HIM REF!!”

Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Antonio Inoki for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Bockwinkel was accompanied to the ring by Bobby Heenan and Blackjack Lanza.

Match: Bockwinkel drew with Inoki in 30:00. The match was a mat-based technical affair with a lot of struggle and attrition. Inoki at one point applied an abdominal stretch that went on for 7 minutes. Towards the end of the match Inoki seemed to be in the ascendency, but Heenan and Lanza would do little things such as tripping him from the outside or distracting the ref to break the momentum. Heenan was very animated at ringside and kept the crowd into the match through their hatred of him.

Quotation(s) from announcers: (Dick) “Inoki is a great man Dick. Did you know he wrestled Muhammed Ali once?” (Dick) “How could we forget Kal Rudman? And he gave Ali a real run for his money too” (Kal) “I really respect the people of the orient Dick. They’ve got real discipline and respect for their craft you know. Inoki is an artist.” During the match Dick and Kal seem to be getting really bored and so start making small talk until Heenan ramps up his shenanigans and Kal stands up irate. (Kal) “YOU GET BACK FROM THERE HEENAN!” Lanza looks menacingly at Kal who sits back down. (Kal) “Dick! I’m not going to take it Dick! That Lanza’s a bully! And even though I’ve got my neck in a brace, I’m not going to sit back and watch Bockwinkel and Heenan make a joke out of this sport!” (Dick) “Kal, calm yourself. We don’t want a repeat of what happened before. Just bite your tongue …” (Kal) “Ohhh they’ve got my blood hot Dick. And the people of Philadelphia want blood!”