Pro Wrestling Only

PWSS 53 on GWE w/ WIll & Dylan

The line about scummy '97 Eddie resembling a Hispanic Jimmy Del Ray had me cracking up.

And any gushing over Puerto Rico will always get a pop out of me.

"Brock Lesnar vs. Butch Reed." "Villano III vs. John Cena."

For fuck's sake. Will has me stoked for these impossible will-absolutely-never-happen fantasy dream matches.

This was a fun and engaging listen. Lots of names tossed out and batted around. Good stuff.

I'm only through the first 30 minutes or so, but I found the discussion about "favorites" vs. "the best" to be fascinating.

Am I wrong to sum up that argument by saying that Will gives little to no credence to influence or historical reputation when making his list, where Dylan and Steven do (at least to some extent)?

Or does Will factor in influence and historical rep, but thinks the influence and historical rep of guys like Brody and Tiger Mask has been blown way out of proportion?

I wouldn't say I give any credence to historical rep, other than I am probably more likely to check out someone with a historical rep than I am to check out someone who doesn't have one...and even that is increasingly less true over time. What I would say is that I don't think favorites and best are synonyms. J.T. Smith is one of my favorites, I liked watching him far more than I like watching say Akira Maeda. But Maeda is better.

For fuck's sake. Will has me stoked for these impossible will-absolutely-never-happen fantasy dream matches.

Listen to the next Dangerous alliance podcast. It will be one of the games.

Am I wrong to sum up that argument by saying that Will gives little to no credence to influence or historical reputation when making his list, where Dylan and Steven do (at least to some extent)?
Or does Will factor in influence and historical rep, but thinks the influence and historical rep of guys like Brody and Tiger Mask has been blown way out of proportion?

We didn't discuss him on the show but my main example has always been Kerry Von Erich. Kerry has been consistently great in Mid South, Memphis, Texas, Japan etc. History tells us he was a hapless drug addict who had to be carried yet before the injury to his foot, and even up until he went to the WWF, he was always good. What am I going to believe... my own eyes or Meltzer and others telling me Kerry had to be carried every time? If I were to just accept the notion that he was not very good, I would have him off my list and Brody and Tiger mask on the list. I can accept that a guy was historically meaningful but not my cup of tea. When people shit on Kerry now, I don't even defend him because it usually feels like the criticisms come straight out of the Meltzer obituary. I spent years watching this guy kick ass. In my view, and I spent many words during the Texas voting defending him, he was far and away the best Von Erich brother and it wasn't even close.

ONe of the main things that dirves me crazy is when Parv or somebody else will use a wrestler quote to try and strengthen their argument. I don't give a shit what Meltzer or another wrestler thinks because what they want out of a wrestling match is different than what I want. In the last ten years, I have established in my head what I like and don't like in wrestling. When guys do what I like, I reward them with praise. When they do stuff I don't like, I criticize them. For guys like Lawler and Murdoch, I went into great detail of what I thought Murdoch and Lawler were great at. If people don't agree, cool.... but they aren't seeing what I am seeing and that's OK with me.

Also, favorite and best are different but my favorites are usually the guys who are best at doing what I enjoy in the ring. Usually my favorites in wrestling do stuff outside the ring to make them my favorites.

It's pretty much charisma and aura that draws me to Sid and he's fun in squash matches. I'm from Chicago and a die hard Bears fan so Mongo has a soft spot with me in that it was cool to see a guy from my team in wrestling. He too was pretty charismatic in his own goofy way. Neither guy would be someone I'd prefer to watch in a match north of 5 mins although Sid has a couple decent matches on his resume.