Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 8-17 - 8/23

Grimmas

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rusev/Lana/Ziggler stuff was fairly entertaining. How did Rusev turn from Russian to Bulgarian in the storyline?

Rusev was always a Bulgarian. You know his nickname is "The Bulgarian Brute", after all. His deal is he was a pussywhipped dude who loved a Russian chick. So he advocated everything Russia for her. But he has always been Bulgarian.

Did not like Taker just taking Brock out like that. Another insane brawl would have been great.

The only positive to take away from that is it makes it more likely that Brock wins on Sunday. Although I'm still really skeptical of that just because of how hard Heyman has buried Taker on the mic during the build up.

It honestly wouldn't make sense for The Undertaker to win. Brock is the first guy booked to have credibility outside of John Cena in years. He has legit credentials & accolades. What would giving The Undertaker a win here do? Keep Brock strong so you can sell him in the main event of the huge Wrestlemania - whatever it may be. I don't think anyone is clamoring for a 'Taker win & a 'Mania "rubber" match. That would be a terrible decision. Texas or not.

If 'Taker just gets his win back, him losing the Streak in the first place was pointless. I just feel like it would erase a lot of what WWE has done over the last almost two years.

It's WWE though, so you just never know.

He has legit credentials & accolades.

Counterpoint:

Magic zombie.

Yes but on Walking Dead they talk about the zombies getting weaker the longer they go without eating. It's been so long since Taker took any souls that he's definitely not at the peak of his powers. I mean when is the last time he even threw a lightning bolt?

He has legit credentials & accolades.

Counterpoint:

Magic zombie.

I feel like WWE can't have it both ways, ya know?

Either you have Magic Undead Zombies that can shoot lightning on your show or you have former UFC World Champion/NCAA Champion legit athletes competing. It's hard to do both as the former just looks corny & makes the latter look less credible by comparison. At least during this feud, despite the lights going out & him showing up, 'Taker is just kicking Brock in the balls & hitting his moves. He's not making it rain or lightning strike to catch Brock caskets on fire or something like that. The big pull apart brawl was really good. The close tonight just felt lackluster.

That's the wacky world of WWE though. They have always sort of had an identity crisis, trying to hit every corner & be a bigger circus act instead of picking a more streamlined direction & just focusing on that.

Hearing Michael Cole call a John Cena/Kevin Owens match a "match of the year contender" is still weird to me in WWE.

Now would be a great time for another topic/tangent about how winners/losers of matches should matter, there should be consequences & "I just want to entertain the crowd" should never be heard on a pro-wrestling show.

"I just want to entertain the crowd" should never be heard on a pro-wrestling show.

I am about as sick as everyone else of hearing Cornette rant about modern wrestling but I do think he greatly summed up the problem with: “It used to be guys simulating a physical conflict with a resolution that people bought tickets to see. Now it’s talented athletes engaging in a choreographed, simulated contest that everybody knows is to be taken as entertainment."

I don't think you can go back and have crowds as invested as they were in the 80s but I do think you could make people care more if you didn't have all this winking at the camera and talking about wanting to entertain the crowd or have 5 star matches.

Everybody knew it was all a work back in the late 90's but they still had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hand wanting to see Austin kick McMahon's ass. I think if you tell compelling stories it doesn't matter if it's fake. I mean people watch TV dramas and get really into them knowing that it's all fake, right? Just make people care and the rest falls into place.

As for Taker/Brock, anyone else get the sense they are going to have Taker cheat to win at Summerslam and then have Brock win a rubber match at HIAC?

Kane returns to interfere and get revenge on Brock, costing him the match. Then there's a BoD reunion, or small nod between Taker and Kane. That'll lead to the rubber match and I can have the fun of hearing Will's head explode.

If they program Brock with Kane, that might be it for me. I can watch other shows.