Pro Wrestling Only

SummerSlam Predictions?

The Chief

Four hours, ten matches. Since the card seems set, have at it:

1. Tag Team Championship: Prime Time Players (champs) vs. New Day vs. Matadores vs. Lucha Dragons - I think they heat up New Day with a cheap win and have the other teams chase through the fall

2. Intercontinental Championship: Ryback (champ) vs. Miz vs. Big Show - Ryback just came back, I say give him a strong win

3. Dolph Ziggler vs. Rusev - Dolph is coming back and Rusev has been dropping some matches lately

4. Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens - Owens is swinging back down and Cesaro is on his way up. I have a feeling this could be for the NXT title.

5. King Barrett & Stardust vs. Neville & Green Arrow - always go with the celebrity

6. Bray Wyatt & Luke Harper vs. Roman Reigns & Dean Ambrose - seems like a Smackdown main event. I think they might try again with Reigns leading into the new year

7. Bellas/Fox vs. PCB vs. Team BAD - I think they may be taking the title off Nikki and transitioning to Charlotte in the near future.

8. Randy Orton vs. Sheamus - they love beating the MITB winner

9. US Title vs. WWE World Title - John Cena vs. Seth Rollins - uggh, I really have no clue here. A clean way to do this would be for Cena to win both belts then have Sheamus take the world title away. I don't think Sheamus is quite at that level though. Still picking Cena.

10. Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker - I don't want to see this at all. They want Taker strong for what could be his last match in Dallas. Don't know what they do with Brock after.

And for the hell of it, NXT:

1. Apollo Crews vs. ??? - No brainer. Marcus Louis becomes the new NXT doormat now that Parker is gone.

2. NXT Tag Team Championship: Vaudevillains vs. Blake & Murphy - The Blake/Murphy experiment ends and the Villains will be over huge in Brooklyn.They counter Alexa Bliss with, I dunno, Blue Pants?

3. Baron Corbin vs. Samoa Joe - Oddly looking forward to this. They may be testing Joe's carrying ability

4. Jushin Liger vs. Tyler Breeze - Liger wins and he's the surprise Cena challenger for a one-off on Raw. Maybe a Hall of Fame induction next year.

5. NXW Women's Championship: Sasha Banks vs. Bayley - needs no explanation

6. NXT Championship: Finn Balor vs. Kevin Owens - I think Balor is pretty bland as their top guy, see SummerSlam for Owens's plans

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10. Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker - I don't want to see this at all. They want Taker strong for what could be his last match in Dallas. Don't know what they do with Brock after.

Feels like they're planning to shelve Brock for a while, particularly if this is a loss for him. I know his new deal has more dates, but they still need to parse him out for Rumble/Mania season. Ideal would be that he goes away until early November, returns as RAW-destroying lunatic, and is challenged by Cesaro in a Survivor Series match that Brock wins, but cements Cesaro as a main event babyface. Note: I don't expect them to do any of that. More likely we'll see Cena-Brock Part 4 for no good reason in a TLC match.

Watching at this thread, and having not followed the build, I realize I have zero interest in this card, which is kinda sad actually. I may still watch it because it's the second biggest card of the year for WWE (although it really doesn't feel like it apart from Taker vs Lesnar, which sounds bad on paper anyway considering their last match one year ago), but really, I only "care" about Rusev and Cesaro vs Owens.

The NXT show doesn't look that great either. The woman match I want to watch, likewise Liger only because of the WTF factor of Liger on WWE TV. Blake & Murphy, Baron Corbin I don't care for at all. The main event could be really good, although I'm not sold on Balor yet (and his intro gets on my nerves).

This seems like a card full of matches that won't help anyone. Taker beating Brock seems insane to me if it happens. He's their last megastar and a loss here would just destroy him. Rollins/Cena seems like a clusterfuck of a match. All of the results seem to lead nowhere good for the future.

Cena vs. Rollins is just odd because they've gone to great lengths to distance Cena from the main title picture. Rollins really has no credible challengers. It's like they just realized they needed a SummerSlam match, shrugged their shoulders and said "might as well be Cena"

If they going with Undertater Vs Brock at wrestlemania they need to have Brock going over really strong. I would have him go over in about 6 min's, with the undertaker getting in one desperation tombstone. Brock then sits up like he did against Cena last year and laughs, f5's him and pins him clean. Then you do a Ufc style build for Wrestlemaina, have training videos with Undertaker being trained by Ronda Rousey.

You could also use people like Cain Velasquez and Randy Couture in the camp.

Done right it could be the biggest match in history,

Just a shame they have destroyed there ppv business with the network.

Cena vs. Rollins is just odd because they've gone to great lengths to distance Cena from the main title picture. Rollins really has no credible challengers. It's like they just realized they needed a SummerSlam match, shrugged their shoulders and said "might as well be Cena"

They haven't done a good job with anyone that isn't Cena in a really long time. It feels like everyone is just mired in mediocrity this year.

They haven't done a good job with anyone that isn't Cena in a really long time. It feels like everyone is just mired in mediocrity this year.

They have Brock vs. Taker as their mega-blockbuster main event so it's not like they can't experiment a little with a title challenger. But yeah, anybody but Cena just doesn't feel ready. Even Reigns feels so far below that level right now.

I think an unconventional challenger would hurt the regular ratings. If you take Cena, Orton and Ambrose out of the equation that pretty much leaves you with Ryback, Ziggler, Cesaro and Reigns as the most credible challengers. That's not an exciting list of challengers.

this logic seems so self-defeating. If you never take a chance on guys and have them step up and challenge for the title then you never have anyone looking strong enough to move up to main event status.

I'm a firm believer that having a guy challenge for the title and lose a competitive match goes a long way towards making them seem like they belong, but WWE seems so risk averse when it comes to the world title.

It's like sometime in the last 10 years they forgot how to give guys the rub from higher tiered guys.

It's the truth though. You can't book things and have no one with any real momentum and suddenly start pushing guys as legit threats to the top belt.

If they would think things through you could always have a couple of guys around with some momentum. But they constantly cut guys off at the knees with losses at the wrong time or bad programs. Just look at the last year for Ziggler. They gave him that big moment at Survivor Series and didn't do a thing to build on that.

Assuming Cena is physically up to it, I could see them putting him over this month and having him defend both titles and pull double duty as a short-term thing. It will drive the hardcores crazy, but it's a cool thing that has never been done before that would be fun to see as something fresh for a few weeks at least. I like the idea of booking him to defend both titles in two separate matches at Night of Champions.

Cesaro-Owens is kind of an unfortunate feud because Cesaro should win, but Owens needs to be rebuilt. There's nowhere to go but down when your first program out of the gate is with John Cena. I wish the card had been laid out in a way where both had the chance to win important matches, but Cesaro is the guy with the momentum right now. Amazing how fast things change. I don't even know that beating Cena in his first match means anything for him anymore.

I've been digging the build for Brock/Taker, but I don't know how a guy who's been on the verge of retirement with bad hips/knees since the mid 90s is going to be able to do anything with a guy who's gimmick is suplexing the shit out of his opponents in every match. A wild brawl would probably be best for Taker, but then doesn't that make opponents like Cena and Rollins look weak that they got destroyed but this old man is going toe to toe with him?