Pro Wrestling Only

Fixing the Diva's Division

Mad Dog

What is wrong with Charlotte winning the belt only for Sasha to take it off her in a short order? You can write months of Charlotte chasing her true destiny as champion, similar to Reigns and the world title.

It wouldn't be terrible or anything but IMO it's not the best use of either woman. Charlotte is not really likeable or sympathetic and Sasha already has a huge smark cult following. Funny you use the Reigns example because I could see the crowd completely turning on the Sasha/Charlotte dynamic. They'd see Charlotte as the handpicked beneficiary of nepotism and Sasha as the smark darling getting screwed out of the spot she deserves. People would be booing babyface Charlotte and cheering heel Sasha inside a month. It would backfire on them just like how it did with Reigns/Bryan.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any reason to not have Nikki beat AJ's record. The old record-holder no longer works here, and is highly unlikely to ever return. Give the bragging rights to someone who's currently employed. You can let anyone beat her after the record's broken, and then that puts over BOTH Nikki for having kept the belt so long AND whomever beats her, because they defeated the best-champion-ever.

To continue to delude myself for a moment, going back to a potential pipebomb with the Divas belt being thrown in the trash...

What was the longest Women's Championship reign with the gold belt? Nikki could go on about "you may have beaten me but I'll still be the longest reigning diva's champion" and Charlotte can go "well, actually..." and give the stats for the old one. Would be a decent way to bring about the change that definitely definitely won't happen.

What is wrong with Charlotte winning the belt only for Sasha to take it off her in a short order? You can write months of Charlotte chasing her true destiny as champion, similar to Reigns and the world title.

It wouldn't be terrible or anything but IMO it's not the best use of either woman. Charlotte is not really likeable or sympathetic and Sasha already has a huge smark cult following. Funny you use the Reigns example because I could see the crowd completely turning on the Sasha/Charlotte dynamic. They'd see Charlotte as the handpicked beneficiary of nepotism and Sasha as the smark darling getting screwed out of the spot she deserves. People would be booing babyface Charlotte and cheering heel Sasha inside a month. It would backfire on them just like how it did with Reigns/Bryan.

Charlotte is and has been their chosen one practically since she signed with the WWE. This is Ric Flair's daughter and if that isn't a good reason to push someone I don't know what is *rolls eyes* So my scenario has the rightful woman with the belt sooner and for a while, holding off the foregone coronation of Charlotte for a bit. Who knows, Sasha could do such a great job as champ that the WWE realizes just what it is they have on their hands and Charlotte fails to impress.

WWE wants mainstream attention for its #DIVASREVOLUTION..well...they got it...

www.complex.com/sports/2015/09/wwe-divas-revolution-has-officially-failed?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sr_share=facebook

How is this "mainstream" though? "Outside of wrestling" and "mainstream" aren't always necessarily the same thing. I've never even heard of this site.

Complex isn't a big site but I'd imagine it has enough web traffic that it registers as "mainstream". But it seems like more and more sites are willing to cover wrestling as a niche entertainment within the larger frame of sports.

edit- by that I mean its like what is being said in the economy thread, wrestling is an ironic hipster's sport now. So you have more people who writes for those sites and it is something they are more willing to talk about in their articles. But it is always the big picture stuff. You're not going to get articles about why Cesaro is being held back or anything. You'll get stuff about relevant hot button topics within wrestling...like this diva's revolution. They probably would talk about Summer of Punk and the "change" in the storyline with the 4th wall being broken down and stuff but not how it sucks that Triple H had to hoover up all the heat the angle got.

This will come across as sexist so I apologize in advance, but I can't imagine guys playing the games wanting to play as a diva. So sure, it is "pretty telling", but I think it is more an indicator of what they expect from the consumers moreso than what they actually prefer. In my case, as much as I like the NXT gals and all, I don't think I'll be playing as Sasha Banks for a match against Nikki Bella...like ever. Not now. Not yesterday. Not ever. It isn't just a wrestling thing for me though. I dislike the idea of being a female protagonist because I personally can't relate to the character at all beyond how badass they might be in combat situations.

Well it's a personal taste thing for sure, but there's a pretty big crossover between gamers and wrestling fans. I wouldn't suggest not having them is going to crash game sales or anything, but a lot of people like fantasy booking shows the way they want and this is going to be missing a key component.

I'm sure you'll be able to create a reasonable recreation of them as CAWs, but it just comes off like it wasn't any concern of WWE to make sure they were included in a game that is boasting the biggest roster in history.

a) Men aren't the only people who play video games. And not all men would refuse to play as a woman.

b. It is also interesting insofar as how they are treated behind the scenes. Video game appearances are worth a lot of money to a wrestler (especially to women who are already paid far less than the men), and this is a medium where the girls have always been shafted. Clearly this practice isn't ending any time soon.

This will come across as sexist so I apologize in advance, but I can't imagine guys playing the games wanting to play as a diva.

I do. You're wrong. I'm still annoyed that several of the WWE games won't let you play a Diva (not even a female create-a-wrestler) in the game's main storyline mode.

I dislike the idea of being a female protagonist because I personally can't relate to the character at all beyond how badass they might be in combat situations.

You can't relate to a female character AT ALL? Dude, you're telling us more about yourself than you're telling us about video games. Can you relate to someone who's a different race than you, or different religion, or different nationality, or different political affiliation, or different age, or different social class, or has a different accent? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then you might wanna rethink having an iron-clad resistance to identifying with anyone who doesn't have a dick.

To be honest? No. I don't. And I would never pretend to understand people of other races, ages (well younger than me, I could because I lived through that age), etc. All I do is learn from them and appreciate the variety of life. But that isn't pro wrestling only so if you want to continue that discussion, feel free to message me privately.

This will come across as sexist so I apologize in advance, but I can't imagine guys playing the games wanting to play as a diva.

I decided to have a Diva Universe in 2K14 and downloaded about 85 female characters. Would they have been created if what you were saying was anywhere close to being true?

I dislike the idea of being a female protagonist because I personally can't relate to the character at all beyond how badass they might be in combat situations.

Why on earth do you have to be able to relate to a computer game character? What is there to relate to in this instance? At the deepest level their entire being and purpose is to win a virtual wrestling match. If you were playing Mario Kart for instance would you refuse to select Princess Peach? 'I can understand Yoshi wanting to win a race because he's as male fictitious green dinosaur, but why is Princess Peach on the starting line? What's going on there then?'

To be honest? No. I don't. And I would never pretend to understand people of other races, ages (well younger than me, I could because I lived through that age), etc. All I do is learn from them and appreciate the variety of life. But that isn't pro wrestling only so if you want to continue that discussion, feel free to message me privately.

People of other races are all members of the human race dude. They're not an alien species to you. Your life experiences and points of view for any given subject may be just the same as any number of million people from across the globe.

I will say that if they include the Bellas and Alicia Fox and the other divas while excluding the Revolution players, I am right there in objecting. If they have girls, then absolutrly, people deserve the opportunity to play as them, even if it isn't going to be me.

Here's the women on the 2K16 roster:

Emma

Eva Marie

Paige

Summer Rae

Tamina

Brie Bella

Nikki Bella

Alicia Fox

Cameron

Layla

Naomi

Natayla

Stephanie McMahon (also "McMahon-Helmsley" version)

Not to mention almost everyone who's on NXT TV regularly is in the game as well.

Let's not turn this into "Slasher's eccentricities and neuroses" thread. Obviously I am wrong about the demand for women wrestlers. I am glad there are people out there that enjoys playing them. I was simply stating my own personal preference and my experiences with the gamers that I do know in my own bubble...none of whom would play as divas in a wrestling game. They do play Tomb Raider and other games though so yes my personal preference is of the extreme end of the spectrum. Also yes of course, I can relate to people on a basic human level, and I do hold empathy for others who are different from me but I can't relate to experiences that are unique to them. I don't know what it is like to be concerned about coming out of the closet. I don't know what it is like to have a cop pull me over because of the color of my skin. I don't know what it is like to be as capable as a man and yet get paid less for the same work. I can't relate to any of that and I don't pretend to. As for needing to relate to video game characters, people play games for many different reasons. Why do you care if my reason is I like to be lost in the adventure as close to my own being as possible? I create my own personal avatar in sports games (especially the player career modes) and role playing games where there is a great deal of customization. What is wrong with being primarily interested in that? Keeping to a narrow viewpoint, possibly, but that is how I draw the most enjoyment in the games as possible, knowing it was "me" that achieved victory. You don't play like that, that is cool. To each to their own and all that. Ok that is the last I will address that in this thread. If you want to yell at me, do it in a PM please LOL.

Lastly, Eva Marie?! Seriously? What makes her more deserving than Sasha? Total Divas?

but I can't relate to experiences that are unique to them. I don't know what it is like to be concerned about coming out of the closet. I don't know what it is like to have a cop pull me over because of the color of my skin. I don't know what it is like to be as capable as a man and yet get paid less for the same work. I can't relate to any of that and I don't pretend to.

This is very true. We can understand on an intellectual level, we can feel empathy, but there's no way we can actually relate, unless we've experienced the same thing. Anyone saying otherwise is just full of shit. I don't know what it feels like to be a girl and be harassed in the street because I wear a skirt, I don't know what it feels to be asked my papers every day because I don't look like your average white-ass. I can understand, I can express empathy, but there's no way I can really relate to that. It would actually be obnoxious to pretend that I do.

Of course I would totally play Sasha Banks in a video game, but that's a lot different than actually relating to someone different. It's just a matter of aesthetics.