Pro Wrestling Only

Jack Tunney's announcement.

Grimmas

I, Jack Tunney, tried to throw myself into my work after the death of my brother Frank the greatest promoter of all-time. Maple Leaf Wrestling was a wonderful promotion and it was about to show the whole world that at the second grandest stage there is in MSG.

However, life is hard for Jack Tunney. My other job, my wife and other projects are taking up a lot of my time and I feel I can not go on. A lot of my favourite working partners have retired as well, from Don Owen, Vince McMahon Sr. to my good Georgia friend. The fun seems to be sucked out of promoting.

Since the IWF is closing shop, let me lay down the plans that were in works. The best wrestler in the world Rick Martel was injured by Greg Valentine and was gone to Puerto Rico for two months to recover. During that time, Martel's partner and good friend Tony Garea was to stand up to Valentine to defend his injured and probably retired friend. That would lead to a hair match in November where Valentine would shave Garea's head bald.

Also during that Grey Cup weekend November show Choshu would lose his title to Rocky Johnson who would carry the banner for a long while.

That time frame would see the return of Martel to start the epic Valentine-Martel feud that would go on to Canada Day (July 1, 1984) where Martel would end this bloody feud by shaving Valentine bald. Martel would transition back to the Title, while Valentine would be traded off to another promotion for another heel or move into secondary title or tag titles.

Epic times were ahead, but now the times have changed. Either someone can take over the great IWF and continue along those lines or MSG, Spectrum, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens and this hugely great talent pool can be split up.

I hope to see great shows in Maple Leaf Gardens soon with whatever happens, but Jack Tunney is no longer able to continue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just scale back since it seems like your big expansion and running 2 TV shows is what killed it for you?? The project would be much better off even if you just did 1 show a week than just dropping out completely and losing another promotion because you couldn't do all the big grandiose plans you put on yourself.

Lots of people are behind though. You don't have to post daily shows if that's what was contributing to you getting backed up, just run TV and build to a big show every month or something.

I appreciate the concern, but I am out. My friend time is super limited lately and there is other projects that are being left behind that are more important.

I enjoyed this for what it was, but that time is over.

There is always the chance somebody could jump in. If all of Canada besides me is gone that's a bit much to go into any one promotion. My suggestion would be this:

1. We put it up for people to move or join.

2. Wahoo, if he wants and is still planning on posting shows, takes a crack at the IWF roster.

3. If Wahoo isn't planning on sticking around, the AWA takes over one promotion out of the three and the others go into a draft with whatever is left from the one he picks. He can run the western part of Canada freely unless we want to use those other two rosters as a new Canadian promotion west of Quebec.

Still, I would urge Grimmas to change his mind because I think he has a lot of great ideas and should be a part of this.

I don't think Vancouver should even got the option of taking over. He already absorbed a promotion and most of us haven't.

The merger timeline should skip the promotions who already absorbed a promotion. Otherwise it's always going to go back to the same guys

Edit - agreed with goc

I don't think Vancouver should even got the option of taking over. He already absorbed a promotion and most of us haven't.

The merger timeline should skip the promotions who already absorbed a promotion. Otherwise it's always going to go back to the same guys

I think you were only allowed one merger in the original proposal. It's either Stampede or (if peachchaos is dropping out) AWA who gets the merger this time. But at this point we might as well just reassess how to proceed with this.

I think you were only allowed one merger in the original proposal. It's either Stampede or (if peachchaos is dropping out) AWA who gets the merger this time. But at this point we might as well just reassess how to proceed with this.

Agreed even though those of us who haven't gotten a merger kind of get stuck, the overall change will be beneficial.

I want to be sure that everyone who hasn't gotten a merger is okay with that.

Secondly, if that is the way of it, I'm looking at All Star and WWC and asking what the status of their catch-up is. This constant need of a draft or absorption lately needs to end. I think a lot of the recent inactivity is people waiting to see how everything shakes out and it's taking a long time to do that.

So please don't take this as any kind of insult to anyone running a promotion that's behind, but a request for some kind of concrete notion of where everyone's promotions are and what they want to do. If you don't see yourself making this work, let us know now.

I don't really feel like that's the most constructive thing right now as you're more likely to discourage someone from making a catch up effort than anything. If someone said on the last round of things that they were going to get caught up when they had time then give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like we have new writers waiting in the wings.

I agree the time has come to an end for promotions way behind to catch up.

There is no point in having someone still stuck in July "be in" because 99 times out of 100, they drop out anyway.

This is not directed towards anyone in particular, so please no one get offended. But right now before we go further, people need to put up or get out. Goes for everybody.

Just take account of your time and availability and either reup for a serious commitment or not.

We just did a role call less than a month ago and we've already had 2 additional drop outs with stampede also basically done.

Getting ridiculous

It's not hurting anyone to have promotions who aren't caught up. What is the point of trying to run them out when there is still the possibility they could get caught up? If the problem is not having enough active promotions then how does forcing people out solve it?