Pro Wrestling Only

Seth Rollins out 6-9 months with torn ACL. Tournament at Survivor Series

tlk23

Now is the perfect time to finally pull the trigger on giving Roman Reigns the belt. Even if it's just to hold it for a minute or two before Sheamus cashed in on him. I'm pretty sick of MITB but I DO want to see a Sheamus/Reigns feud because they would be an awesome pairing and I loved one of their Raw matches from a few months ago.

I also think the stuff I keep reading everywhere about how they should copy Deadly Games and have Reigns align with The Authority is a terrible idea.

Now is the perfect time to finally pull the trigger on giving Roman Reigns the belt. Even if it's just to hold it for a minute or two before Sheamus cashed in on him. I'm pretty sick of MITB but I DO want to see a Sheamus/Reigns feud because they would be an awesome pairing and I loved one of their Raw matches from a few months ago.

I also think the stuff I keep reading everywhere about how they should copy Deadly Games and have Reigns align with The Authority is a terrible idea.

It really isn't. Reigns is the guy the Authority has always pretty much been describing when talking about the ideal champion. They were starting the tension stuff between Rollins and Triple H anyways so it is natural for the Authority to have been window shopping for their next chosen one. You have Reigns toiling in a feud that seems to never end with Bray Wyatt saying anyone but you Roman. It is the perfect payoff for EVERYTHING that has happened the past year or so. Also the fans would probably hate the idea that they turned THEIR chosen guy Dean Ambrose while sticking with the guy they rejected Roman Reigns as the babyface. Ambrose doesn't work as the champion's buddy. He is either a loner or part of something that rages against the machine. Someone is going to have to turn here, might as well be the one whose support from fans is spotty at best.

Roman Reigns turning heel pretty much ruins what has made him one of the best big match workers in WWE over the last year. I don't think he'll be as good controlling the match on top as a heel as he's been fighting from underneath as a babyface. Plus there are no good babyface challengers left for him after an Ambrose feud which isn't going to even last that long because I don't see WWE looking at Ambrose as a guy to be in a WWE Title match at WrestleMania.

Then you have heel Reigns vs. babyface Cena as your main event for WM or Reigns/Brock II which imo loses a lot of steam if Reigns is a heel.

It's an awful idea because it means the entire plans for the future of WWE is STILL to be based around the goddamn Authority. Whom should have been gone, what, two Survivor Series shows ago when they lost the match?

I guess the Ambrose turn on Reigns they've been teasing forever will finally happen, maybe even as soon as this Monday night.

when have they teased an Ambrose turn?

I actually think turning Reigns would be smarter than turning Ambrose. Ambrose has been established as valuing loyalty and brotherhood above all else so it would really make no sense for him to turn on Reigns. I also think Ambrose going back into vengeful asskicker mode is more likely to generate hot crowds than Reigns in that position. Plus I still think Reigns needs a heel run to really explore his character a bit. If they keep him face he'll just be stuck in that inescapable Cena babyface groove where he ends up doing the same schtick 10 years from now.

but Reigns as face is the safe move so they'll stick with that as they are all about making safe choices these days.

It's an awful idea because it means the entire plans for the future of WWE is STILL to be based around the goddamn Authority. Whom should have been gone, what, two Survivor Series shows ago when they lost the match?

if they turn Ambrose I'd rather see him align himself with the Wyatts (if he must be in a group) than the Authority. the Authority just needs to end altogether. it really undermines everything they do.

I guess the Ambrose turn on Reigns they've been teasing forever will finally happen, maybe even as soon as this Monday night.

when have they teased an Ambrose turn?

I actually think turning Reigns would be smarter than turning Ambrose. Ambrose has been established as valuing loyalty and brotherhood above all else so it would really make no sense for him to turn on Reigns. I also think Ambrose going back into vengeful asskicker mode is more likely to generate hot crowds than Reigns in that position. Plus I still think Reigns needs a heel run to really explore his character a bit. If they keep him face he'll just be stuck in that inescapable Cena babyface groove where he ends up doing the same schtick 10 years from now.

but Reigns as face is the safe move so they'll stick with that as they are all about making safe choices these days.

In the old days, hammering home how good friends Ambrose and Reigns are like they do was a signal a turn was coming.

Also, they aren't turning Reigns heel right after making him the face of their breast cancer awareness campaign last month with Cena.

I'd rather see them run with the buddy routine for a few more years at a minimum. (Crazy, I know.)

Then - if and when they pull the trigger on a turn - it'd mean SO MUCH MORE with all the footage, memories, and angles for them to point to as something substantial.

I don't know though. If they do the turn now, it would just seem like a way to stall and kill time until Mania. I feel like it'd be more about occupying Roman's time until Mania more than actually doing anything mutually beneficial with them or even fleshing out the story to its full potential.

Ambrose-Reigns friendship has been so artificial since the Shield breakup. They never say or do anything cool to put over the idea that they're bros whose camaraderie matters. I'm not convinced the crowd likes or cares that they're paired together. It's not like one has ever come to the aid of the other in a way that popped the crowd. They don't have a team identity, nickname, memorable matches, triumphant babyface moments, double-team moves, or anything else that garners loyalty to a team. They aren't booked as greater than the sum of their parts, and if anything, it often seems like Ambrose is booked as a detriment to Reigns.

Reigns' finest hours have been on his own without Ambrose, while Dean has been in neutral for like a year or so despite a main event Wyatt feud and (not so seriously) challenging Seth for the title this summer. The most significant memories of Dean post-Shield split has been getting taken out of the IC title match by falling through a ladder, that time he stole Seth's belt and gave his corny "Champ buys the beers" line to Reigns, and being defeated by an exploding flatscreen TV in the Wyatt blowoff last winter.

An Ambrose turn would feel forced, in that I don't think fans want to boo him right now, and they haven't told the friendship-betrayal story well enough. Which is not to say Ambrose doesn't know how to be a convincing heel. But even if put in that role, it speaks to a larger issue with current WWE: they've decided that heels shouldn't get real heat, because there's something about genuine fan hostility that's either not PG, or feel too much like "old school rasslin". Which leads to the screwed-up dynamic where your top babyfaces are getting booed half the time while heels receive cheers or total apathy.

Are there enough top babyfaces to justify an Ambrose turn at this point? I think they'd be better off going with Del Rio as the closest thing to an established top level heel they've still got, or elevating Kevin Owens if Vince can get over his anti-fat stance. You could easily go with Del Rio for a couple of months, put the title back on Lesnar at the Rumble and go with a Lesnar-Reigns rematch at Mania, with the promise that Rollins won't be around to cash in this time. You could even have Sheamus cash-in that night and have Reigns beat him to really solidify things.

Are there enough top babyfaces to justify an Ambrose turn at this point? I think they'd be better off going with Del Rio as the closest thing to an established top level heel they've still got, or elevating Kevin Owens if Vince can get over his anti-fat stance. You could easily go with Del Rio for a couple of months, put the title back on Lesnar at the Rumble and go with a Lesnar-Reigns rematch at Mania, with the promise that Rollins won't be around to cash in this time. You could even have Sheamus cash-in that night and have Reigns beat him to really solidify things.

Hey that is a good idea. Have Reigns win a war against Lesnar and then just when it looks like history is going to repeat, defeats Sheamus too and then you've bookended the previous Mania. I don't think Sheamus should be successful in his cash in anyway

I'd rather see them run with the buddy routine for a few more years at a minimum. (Crazy, I know.)

Then - if and when they pull the trigger on a turn - it'd mean SO MUCH MORE with all the footage, memories, and angles for them to point to as something substantial.

I don't know though. If they do the turn now, it would just seem like a way to stall and kill time until Mania. I feel like it'd be more about occupying Roman's time until Mania more than actually doing anything mutually beneficial with them or even fleshing out the story to its full potential.

In regards to how we have seen them do business, this idea would be the WWE story telling version of edging. I have no faith that they wouldn't blow their whole wad way too soon.

Why not go the "stale" route and replicate '98? Heel win via Authority help (Ambrose seems ideal but anyone can fit the bill), quick but hot match vs. Reigns (Austin) the following night and the big match at Mania?

They would have to be willing to make them top stars and not be down below 2-3 other matches.

Not that I wish harm on anybody, but at least Seth got "out of the woods" in terms of the Kane feud before this injury happened.

I mean, can you imagine if they never got the chance to book the proper payoff to the Kane feud BEFORE the injury? Seth would be out, the title would be vacated, and we'd probably be left with endless Corporate Kane segments to keep the feud going for another 6 to 9 months.

Then, like Bryan, once Seth was cleared to return - they'd feel obligated to go back to the Kane stuff and continue the feud for a few more months at minimum.

So yeah. It sucks that Seth is out and a bunch of plans are likely scrapped. But I'm at least a little grateful that the Kane thing was wrapped up first.