Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/7 - 12/13

Blehschmidt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a weird show. I feel like I've missed months of TV but I watch every week.

So The League of Nations has replaced the Authority as the top heel group. The group doesn't have an identity besides the fact that they're all foreigners. Rusev and Del Rio are busy with their own story lines so they're just kind of there, but Lana and Zeb don't come out with the group. Lana should be there as she flipped heel overnight. But apparently they already gave up on Zeb and Del Rio. What was that about?

Charlotte has also flipped overnight so I guess Paige is a babyface again.

Stardust is somehow in the most entertaining segments of the show thanks to Titus O'Neil. Where did Darren Young disappear to?

A lot of moving parts.

I've got no problems with Dreamer pinning a member of the Wyatts. Him and the Dudleys have been battered at every turn by the Wyatts, so him getting to pin the runt of the Wyatt litter in an elimination match stops him looking totally pointless. It's not like he pinned Strowman or Bray.

If ever proof was needed that they're not really committed to getting the women over, it's the fact they've started turning Charlotte midway through her storyline with Paige. So Sunday will see dead-teenager-mocking Paige vs arrogant heel Charlotte in a match guaranteed to confuse the crowd.

In a show of terrible segments, Reigns and Sheamus sounding like two particularly moronic eight-year olds arguing over rights to a treehouse was really something. The attempts to write Cena speeches for Reigns are just awful. Like, it's a bad, hack idea that comes off much worse than I would have expected.

To hell with the haters: I liked the Rosebush for the second week in a row. The dude's delivery works for me, even if the whole thing is just Vince's way of taking unsubtle digs at whichever midcard talent pissed him off this week (and with the understanding that said insults will probably get increasingly nasty/distasteful over time). Looking forward to finding out which ninety-five pound Diva is now considered an overeater, and which guys are being demoted to jobber status for getting off the gas / parking in Vince's space / coughing during a conversation / etc.

Didn't watch the show this week and only caught a little bit of it last week but I did see last week's Rosebush segment and liked it. Adam Rose carries it well and it's something different from the tired formula of the invisible backstage camera segments.

I caught the first Rosebush and didn't get it at all. It's hot garbage. Look, I know we all like Adam Rose and want him to succeed, but this is going to go over 99% of the audience's head. It won't get over. I feel bad for him because I'm rooting for him to make it.

I thought the Rose segment was funny.

I yelled a lot last night on DVDVR about that main segment but it boils down to I honestly feel bad for both Sheamus and Roman that this is what they're being ordered to do because that was hopeless.

One thing I didn't mention that's really bugging me, Sheamus is actually playing a great "dumb guy gets lucky but thinks the success is all him" thing, and the company isn't even playing it up at all because they're so committed to GRRR SERIOUS WORLD TITLE ACTION. This angle would be so much better if it was just openly "hey, Sheamus is gonna die if the League of Nations and Authority don't help him" but instead they want us to buy Sheamus as a threat based on.... absolutely nothing Sheamus has done in the past month. They're just totally neutering everything the guy is going for because if they'd actually just openly go in that direction it would make so much more sense.

I can't feel bad for anyone who gets handed that script and doesn't have the self respect to tell Vince or whoever to fuck off. To go out there and recite that shit (poorly) word for word just doesn't garner any sympathy from me.

Because most people get to tell their bosses to fuck off when they're handed lousy material and told to make the best of it? If that's the world you live in, bless you sir.

I can't feel bad for anyone who gets handed that script and doesn't have the self respect to tell Vince or whoever to fuck off. To go out there and recite that shit (poorly) word for word just doesn't garner any sympathy from me.

Because most people get to tell their bosses to fuck off when they're handed lousy material and told to make the best of it? If that's the world you live in, bless you sir.

What are they going to do, fire Roman Reigns? It's not like they could make him look worse. They gonna job him out? He'd still be getting paid. He himself said he just cared about the money anyway. It's live TV, what are they going to do, cut to commercial? It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. Heaven forbid someone go off the horribly written scripts.

That's great in theory. It's just not a realistic view of how the world works. These guys have really good jobs that countless other people would take in a blink. Most of them aren't going to be inclined to rock the boat, especially in a company run by the whims of an insane megalomaniac.

These are people that get hit in the head for a living. We're not talking about the brightest people on the planet here. It's a business of carnies. Going off the script is not something that would even scratch the surface of shit they should be worrying about. It's not unrealistic.

But what do I know, I've never let someone walk on me.

That fucking fear is why the goddamn show sucks. No one is willing to take a risk. A bunch of people scared to "rock the boat" because of a senile, racist, misogynist, out-of-touch, Republican nutcase.

These are people that get hit in the head for a living. We're not talking about the brightest people on the planet here. It's a business of carnies. Going off the script is not something that would even scratch the surface of shit they should be worrying about. It's not unrealistic.

But what do I know, I've never let someone walk on me.

That fucking fear is why the goddamn show sucks. No one is willing to take a risk. A bunch of people scared to "rock the boat" because of a senile, racist, misogynist, out-of-touch, Republican nutcase.

Definitely agree about the last part. It's a deeply polluted culture.

It's frustrating as a fan because all I can ever think about is how would stars such as Steve Austin, The Rock... or anyone in the live TV era really, been able to get over having to memorize and recite these lines? Written by people that aren't even in the pro-wrestling business. People that are wanting to get TV show writing gigs. Scott Hall talked about it during his YouShoot. He went back to WWE for the Hall of Fame or his last nWo run or whatever it was & some writer handed him a printed out promo that he was supposed to say. Some TV guy, not a wrestling guy and the promo on the page even started with "Hey, yo." It's just so ridiculous.

That's the biggest issue, I think. WWE doesn't think of themselves as a wrestling program, they think they're just a television program, like Seinfeld or Friends. They bring in writers with that mentality. It's insane.

Also, listening to the post-RAW Wrestling Observer Radio with Dave Meltzer & Brian Alvarez, that was the most annoyed, disgruntled & frustrated I can ever remember hearing Dave Meltzer sound when talking about professional wrestling. He is just completely flabbergast by how clueless people seem to be in modern WWE. You could hear him trying to even think of a way to rationalize some of the things they do & not even being able to think of a stupid, tranquil reasoning as to why. It's counter-productive to do this... but they did it because... reasons.

You don't even have to be a lifelong fan or a long term WWE watcher to see some of this stuff & just look at your screen confused & scratching your head. It's almost like their goal is to not be stars or draw money. It genuinely feels like that. Like they're purposely trying to sabotage their own roster & show.

WWE doesn't think of themselves as a wrestling program, they think they're just a television program, like Seinfeld or Friends. They bring in writers with that mentality.

I like this quote because Seinfeld and Friends were once known as the anchors of what NBC called "Must See TV." RAW hasn't been "must see" in at least a decade.

Countless pundits have said it but I'll readily parrot it: RAW (and SD) don't even bother with cliffhangers or promoting what makes the next week's show worth watching. Watching all the vault stuff uploaded onto the Network and even Stampede, with its low/no-budget production, had the common sense to at least tell the viewer a match or two they'd be getting on the next episode.

I'm not saying we need New Day to kidnap Dolph Ziggler, hang him in a lockerroom, and attempt to castrate him with a sharpened unicorn's horn only for the lights to go out right at the moment of impact, but y'know, in case people forgot, there once was a time when the WWE seemed to understand the basic idea of ending a show on a cliffhanger, even a silly one. When's the last time we had a genuine cliffhanger to end the show? When the stage fell on Vince? What was that? 6 years ago?