Pro Wrestling Only

Vince told Backlund he was going to have a 1 year run as champ after winning the belt in 1994...

Ricky Jackson

But then told him he was going to drop the strap to Diesel a few days later because, with Randy Savage leaving for WCW, Vince had no choice but to create a new star ASAP.

This comes from Backlund's wonderful autobiography that I just finished. Of course, Savage wasn't being used as a draw anymore in the WWF at the time he left, and Diesel was being groomed for a big run for all of 94 before getting the strap. Backlund doesn't question the sincerity of Vince's excuse in the book and just moves on from there. Just thought I'd share that since I've never come across it anywhere else

This week on one of the mailbag segments of Dave's podcast he talked about this. He said Backlund was used to transition from Bret to Diesel because wanted to drop the title to someone he respected. So, whatever Vince may have told Bob it would appear his plan all along was the three-day reign.

This week on one of the mailbag segments of Dave's podcast he talked about this. He said Backlund was used to transition from Bret to Diesel because wanted to drop the title to someone he respected. So, whatever Vince may have told Bob it would appear his plan all along was the three-day reign.

As in Vince respected Bob you mean?

I always liked the full circle nature of Bob losing the belt to Iron Sheik for a transition, then so many years later him filling that role himself.

As in Vince respected Bob you mean?

I always liked the full circle nature of Bob losing the belt to Iron Sheik for a transition, then so many years later him filling that role himself.

Sorry; someone Bret respected.

Wasn't the world different back then in the sense that company champions either had a lot more say, and/or bookers put more thought and nuance into who they lost to, as opposed to today? It was a pretty different world back then. Rey Mysterio Jr. not wanting to drop the Intercontinental title a few years back, due to the company promising him a long reign but then going back on their word, is the closest thing to stories you would hear about champions in previous decades.