Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #23 (December 22-28, 1989) (Featuring Dylan Hales)

KrisZ

bts23.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture/The Trade Marks) making his BTS debut discussing the week that was December 22-28, 1989. We talk about Blackjack Mulligan & Kendall Windham counterfeiting money, NWA Future Stars, Japanese Awards, Larry Nelson wackiness, great stuff from Continental & USWA and one of the worst weeks of Hulk Hogan’s life. A definite listen!!!!!!!!

Timestamps:
0:00:00 WCW
1:26:33 International: Weekly Pro Wrestling awards; Germany
1:42:55 Other USA: AWA, PNW, CWF, & Potpourri
2:53:48 USWA
3:22:03 WWF

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-23-december-22-28-1989-featuring-dylan-hales/

1) Just realized that David Woods is the David Woods who ran for Congress in 2008 (finished in 4th place and got 17% of the vote in the primary). Also, he's the son of Charles Woods (Dothan-based radio station owner/frequent candidate for office/War hero, probably known more for his kinda gruesome appearance [no hair, eyepatch, gray-ish skin color] because his bomber exploded on takeoff during World War II. It remarkable that he survived that in 1944, and lived for 60 more years).

I had listened to shows like BTS that had mentioned David Woods and I only just now connected the dots. (One of my less conventional interests involves looking up old election results posted on state pages, state digital library pages, Archive.org, etc, so, occasionally people linked to wrestling actually run for offices and usually lose)

2) The Equalizer/Evad was last sighted as the Athletic Director at Dana College in Nebraska.

3) I'm not sure if my laptop speakers are about to be really messed up or if something on the Place To Be page messed with things, but I was listening to this episode on the PTBN page, I heard a crackling sound and then the volume dropped off. It dropped off because one of my laptop speakers didn't transmit sound. But once I closed the PTBN page, the sound comes back at it's usual quality.

So I started listening to the show on Soundcloud and it has been flawless so far. My Acer laptop has several less than ideal traits these days (the tab button and 2 letter keys near tab don't work). It might just be a total local problem.

Also, my Chrome insisted that the PTBN page was trying to load unverified scripts or something meriting a "Google Chrome shield icon" after the sound crackled out on PTBN. Not sure if Google's browser is trying to stop something being loaded from a Google ad or it's just some sort of temporary malicious ad that pops up on boards occasionally. But yeah, I'm probably the only guy whose experiencing this and it's working on Soundcloud.

4) some dude is uploading episodes of Kansas City Wrestling from 1984 on YouTube if you want to watch shitty wrestling. Basically the only guys that people older than me bring up in reference to Central States is Bulldog Bob Brown or maybe Rufus R. Jones. But, Central States isn't a blackhole of nothing available, just a blackhole of content!

Newsbank doesn't have any articles about primary voters talking about David Woods' ownership of Continental. Here's his mini-profile from the Dothan Eagle:

David Woods, Montgomery

The businessman.

"I’ve met a payroll for 22 years. We’ve employed people for 22 years. We understand the struggles," said Woods, who owns WCOV-TV in Montgomery. He is the son of the late Charles Woods, who owned WTVY-TV in Dothan.

Woods said he differs from the other candidates because he has "dual market appeal."

Woods grew up in Dothan and moved to Montgomery later, and said the time he has spent at both ends of the 2nd Congressional District will be an asset in the campaign.

"Geography is to our advantage," he said.

Woods didn't win a single county. Placing 4th in Dothan and 2nd (and losing by 34%) in Montgomery.

His father ran for office a bunch of times. Including for Governor of Alabama 3 times, the US House 3 times, Lt. Governor of Alabama once (made it to a runoff), President of the United States (obviously lost that primary in 1992), the US Senate 3 times (once in Alabama, twice in Nevada). So, at least 11 candidacies.

That's the indirect story of how David Woods probably got some of the money to buy a wrestling promotion.

Unrelated to David Woods: Zeus got $22K for that match vs Abdullah in Puerto Rico. Hell of a gig.

He's the person in the WCW lawsuits with the most racist comments attributed to him by the most witnesses.

I figured it was something like that. God, wrestling is so strange - what kind of dumbass working for a massive media conglomerate in the 1990s drops a bunch of racial shit? And what other industry would keep hiring him after this? (OTOH, that was TNA, which kept hiring Vince Russo after its network partner specifically asked them not to.)

He's the person in the WCW lawsuits with the most racist comments attributed to him by the most witnesses.

I figured it was something like that. God, wrestling is so strange - what kind of dumbass working for a massive media conglomerate in the 1990s drops a bunch of racial shit? And what other industry would keep hiring him after this? (OTOH, that was TNA, which kept hiring Vince Russo after its network partner specifically asked them not to.)

Well, he's in WWE now as NXT's "finishing touches" coach to get everyone ready for the main roster. Apparently he's a Triple H guy stemming from Taylor helping HHH out in WCW.

I love these shows, and I know you guys cover a lot of ground. I always seem to hear Kris make silly little mistakes, and I wish I could reach through my kindle and correct you on the spot, but obviously that is impossible. Usually it's when Bix asks a question and Kris answers. I can't think of all of the examples of recent. I'm not keeping a running tab, but I've caught stuff in the Will and Pete Stein shows. Last night I listed just to the last half hour or so of the Dylan show. There was some discussion of Dusty's run and Kris claimed Dusty wasn't wearing the polka dots at Summerslam '89 against HonkyTonk. He was adamant when he said it. I'm like, no, that's absolutely wrong. LOL.

Otherwise, fun show. I haven't listened to the entire five hours yet, but I did enjoy your discussion about the Coliseum Videos towards the end.

Flair vs. Gigante sold out the Harrisonburg HS gym in April 1991. I remember being surprised at how well Flair carried Gigante but I just found my notes/results from that show. It went on the middle of the card, went 10:00 and had run-ins from Arn Anderson & Kevin Nash. I gave it 1/2*.

for anybody confused about Kevin Nash making a run-in. I checked HistoryOfWWE and Master Blaster Steel was replacing Barry Windham.

They had Mike Graham replacing Sid on a show a few days before that. If you want a candidate for "biggest drop-off between wrestler that didn't show and his replacement"

3) I'm not sure if my laptop speakers are about to be really messed up or if something on the Place To Be page messed with things, but I was listening to this episode on the PTBN page, I heard a crackling sound and then the volume dropped off. It dropped off because one of my laptop speakers didn't transmit sound. But once I closed the PTBN page, the sound comes back at it's usual quality.

So I started listening to the show on Soundcloud and it has been flawless so far. My Acer laptop has several less than ideal traits these days (the tab button and 2 letter keys near tab don't work). It might just be a total local problem.

Also, my Chrome insisted that the PTBN page was trying to load unverified scripts or something meriting a "Google Chrome shield icon" after the sound crackled out on PTBN. Not sure if Google's browser is trying to stop something being loaded from a Google ad or it's just some sort of temporary malicious ad that pops up on boards occasionally. But yeah, I'm probably the only guy whose experiencing this and it's working on Soundcloud.

Hey, thanks for giving the show a listen through our page. We just use a link that embeds directly from SoundCloud, but I'm wondering if there was something momentarily in that script that caused that crackle. If you see that happen again, shoot me a PM here with the details and we'll work to resolve.