Pro Wrestling Only

The WWE Global Cruiserweight show

shoe

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Just wow. An amazing hour of TV. I hated seeing Tajiri lose, but I have a feeling that as this tournament continues I'll probably have this feeling more often than not.

Ibushi vs. Alexander was outlandish. I was so certain at the beginning Ibushi was going to win, but that kick after the brainbuster really REALLY got me. I did NOT want to end this match. And the end with HHH coming out and basically saying "I hear you, don't worry" was awesome as well.

Anyone else interested in a Tajiri vs. Ibushi match with them jst kcking each others heads and limbs off for half an hour or so?

I commented on Cedric/Ibushi in Pete's thread. Incredible. Cedric was a total star.

I like Metalik a lot. Just enough Lucha to be fresh but enough American/Japanese style to fit plus he has some size to him. Kalisto may be the new Rey Jr, but this could be their big Mexican star. If I was booking, I'd put him over. Ibushi & Sabre Jr will always be over with smarks. Metalik can get you the casuals. Is my Mom going to dig Metalik or Ibushi? Metalik in a slam dunk. Great match with Tajiri enjoyed the arm drags and submissions. Metalik has damn good flying! So much better than fucking Sin Cara. Little abrupt on the finish but the match cemented me as a Metalik fan.

Looked at bracket. Forgot Gulak was in the tourney so Cedric is second best American wish those two were getting pushed instead of NXT guys but you gotta take care of your own. Really hope Metalik goes over Sabre Jr in semis. Ibushi vs NXT guy (I haven't seen Ciampa/Gargano) is really interesting. They are pushing Ibushi so hard almost too hard. He seems primed for an upset plus cmon it is NXT contracted American vs Japanese dude you know there is enough people in the back arguing to take care of their own and to have an American in the finals. I'm going upset there. Hopefully Metalik takes it over Gargano/Ciampa in the finals. All of sudden I'm really into this tourney. Lots of possibilities!

The Jack Gallagher v Akira Tozawa match was a lot of fun. Jack was just insanely over, tons of chants. I loved how his early escapes and holds were goofy and fun but got progressively nastier after the strike exchange. He really worked on Tozawa's leg and the selling was great. Would love to see more of Gallagher, and Tozawa really improved on his disappointing first round match.

The Noam Dar-HoHo Lun match was just kinda there. As good as Tozawa's leg selling was in the previous match, Lun's was that bad in this one. Dar looked much better than his first round match but I'm not particularly impressed. But the only two matches I've seen haven't exactly been against 1991 Jushin Liger or anything so maybe it's just the opponents?

Strong match from Brian Kendrick and Tony Nese. Told a nice story, the wily veteran versus the hungry young guy in Nese. Kendrick looks so seedy now, with his dark hair and goatee, like older pot dealer friend hanging around a bunch of young dudes. Bryan openly rooting for him on commentary is a hoot.

My thoughts:

- The first two matches were good, but the wrong people won them, period.

- How the hell do you not let Jack Gallagher advance? Yeah, I get that Akira Tozawa is pretty good, but that's it. Gallagher is something really fucking special. Major missed opportunity, and the result genuinely pissed me off. That's yet another credit to Gallagher, who has me caring this much after just two matches.

- Noam Dar does nothing for me, and his wimpy-looking heel act seems so out of place in the context of a tournament like this. I realize Dar is from Israel/Scotland, but he would fit right in if Sylvan Grenier suddenly returned and formed Nouveau La Resistance with him. I get that Ho Ho Lun isn't anyone's favorite either, but he has the more interesting story and is the more interesting wrestler. I like him. My only guess is that he's still tied down to his promotion in Hong Kong and that's why he didn't advance.

- THE Brian Kendrick vs. "Mr. Personality" Tony Neese was a very good match. I was really expecting the aging veteran to put over the young gun, as we saw with Tajiri and Gran Metalik, so I was pleasantly surprised when Kendrick won. Awesome near-falls and false finishes toward the end. Nese is a spectacular athlete, but he has the personality of a potted plant. There's no "it factor" with this guy. That's probably why he's never "made it." If he can fix that, he'll go places. In the meantime, Kendrick's resurgence and Daniel Bryan's spirited commentary during his matches has been one of my absolute favorite parts of the CWC.

Next week's matches: Lince Dorado vs. Rich Swann, Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Drew Gulak, and Johnny Gargano vs. TJ Perkins.

- Swann and Perkins are extremely likeable personalities, but their wrestling in the first round didn't blow me away the way I hoped it would.

- I can't even remember how I felt about Lince Dorado or Drew Gulak at this point, which tells me they were probably middle of the road.

- If Gallagher lost because they hitched their wagon to the other Brit in the tournament, the infinitely inferior Zack Sabre Jr., that was a big mistake IMO. (I don't care about ZSJ's sterling reputation - Gallagher blew him out of the water from what I've seen of both of them in this tournament.) With that said, there's no denying ZSJ has something - Jack Gallagher just has a ton more of it. Hopefully Zack used his winning purse from the last match to buy himself some tights that actually fit and cover his unsightly pale ass.

- Gargano had the best match in the first round and exceeded my expectations while Perkins under-delivered and fell short of expectations. TJP is a really likeable guy, like I said, but I hope Gargano gets rewarded for making the most of his opportunity.

The fan in me was cheering for Jack.

The Internet smark fan in me was pissed that Jack lost cause Japan.

The grown up in me realizes they're creating a cruiser weight division and Jack is gonna be huge in that and Tozawa will just get forgotten and this isn't real, it's theatre. But it Kinda feels like when they debuted Great Sasuke against Taka and Taka was the guy everyone liked.

And again, the fan me says "Boooo! Tozawa stinks And his dumb reverse German stinks and the only reason it came off as deadly was because of Jack." Fuck Tozawa. 😄

Noam Dar looks like a less tough Chico Marx.

The Kendrick v Nese match continuing on the Kendrick story of really looking for any short cut he can take is so much fun & such a breath of fresh air on a tourney where everyone is shaking hands & showing respect. Tozawa reminded me with his angry, confused, & grumpy facials of why it's so easy for him to get over wherever he goes.

Really enjoyed the first and third matches from...I guess it's from last week by now. Gallagher is amazing and super and dooper and everything and just a license to print hipster NXT middle class money. I am all in. He was great in this working the leg, and Tozawa to his credit was great selling the leg and getting more and more pissed off. Finish was a bummer but was a hella impressive visual nonetheless.

Kendrick is so great right now. I don't think there was a single veteran shortcut he didn't take here short of going full-blown heel: eye pokes, hair pulling, beard pulling, boot scraping, using the ropes, using the turnbuckle, getting out of the way...he was doing EVERYTHING he possibly could, because he's a 37 year old decrepit pot smoking veteran motherfucker who is up against a guy in his physical prime who has power and speed and hits hard and, oh by the way, who took Kendrick's head clean off in the first move of the match. Desperate Kendrick is outstanding. Nese was good in this too I thought, he showcased his 'Premier Athlete' stuff nicely and really came off like he was desperate to win too. The struggle on the mat with Kendrick going for armbars and shit was gritty and fascinating. I'm with Bryan now, I'm going to be so sad when he doesn't win the whole thing. I hope he's at least got a NXT run out of this.

...to Raw? RAW??

*sigh*

If we must.

No idea why you're surprised. It was announced weeks ago that Raw was getting the Cruiserweight division. I disagree with it too. With Bryan as Smackdown GM and CWC commentator, it made too much sense for SD to get the Cruisers, I guess.

HHH pretty much said that while it would make more sense for it to be on Smackdown, it's going to be used to fill time on Raw. I just hope it doesn't get the full "first hour of Nitro" treatment and we get the announcers using the time during their matches to talk about the real stars of the show.

...to Raw? RAW??

*sigh*

If we must.

No idea why you're surprised. It was announced weeks ago that Raw was getting the Cruiserweight division. I disagree with it too. With Bryan as Smackdown GM and CWC commentator, it made too much sense for SD to get the Cruisers, I guess.

No I know, I'm not surprised. I'm just...*sigh*

It's not even a Raw vs SD thing. I just don't wish the main roster on any of these guys.

It's interesting that the guys on the video - Noam, Swann, Kendrick and Perkins - are bypassing NXT TV almost entirely. I think Swann was a job guy on one episode (vs Balor?) and Kendrick is obviously TV experienced, but the other two will only have had the CWC to get used to the WWE way of filming.

Rich Swann v Lince Dorado was a really fun spotfest. They did this crazy double scissor kick spot where they got each other in the face at almost the exact same time, don't think I've ever seen that before. Hope we see Dorado more often, both guys really because that was a ton of fun.

Gulak really brought it against ZSJ. They did a Gulak feels disrespected story, and came out really aggressive. ZSJ didn't exactly show much in his first round match, but had to access his mean streak to counter Gulak - not at all the overly smooth, showy stuff he did before.

Another really good match with Johnny Gargano and TJ Perkins. The story with this one is that Johnny was selling the knee that was hurt at Takeover, never mind that this was taped a month ago :). I was really surprised that TJP went over, would have figured they would push Johnny to the final four at least.

What a great hour of pro wrestling. Kudos to the WWE for doing this, hopefully it gets enough viewers that the cruisers will get over for Raw and they keep doing out of the box stuff like CWC.