Pro Wrestling Only

The WWE Global Cruiserweight show

shoe

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the little intro earlier. I am such a mark for Dragon. I was getting excited just hearing him read cheesy lines about the competitors. I just believed them more, ya know. haha.

This thing looks like it is going to be so much fun. I have a buddy who is there watching live. I know it isn't exactly going out on a limb, but I got Ibushi.

About 5-10 minutes. I wasn't taking time like GLF or anything but it felt like the usual NXT main event.

I'm not going to spoil anything but you are in for a treat watching this first round. Some really awesome matches and guys made a name for themselves. The shocking thing was the low turnout. They tarped off a bunch of seats that are usually full for NXT. The rumor is that people bought a bunch of tickets to resell them but no one would buy. Ticket scalping is a big problem at Full sail and they need to do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Bracketology special and they've done a really nice job of making it seem like a legit sport, which is just such a weird thing coming out of WWE sponsored project. Daniel Bryan is really good in the analyst role, actually discussing strategy and style. Really looking forward to how they present the actual broadcast. Even if the matches don't all deliver, should be an interesting peek into where wrestling may be headed.

Based on the bracketing I'd guess the final four are Sabre, Ibushi, Gargano and Tozawa, leading to a Sabre-Ibushi final and both getting signed. Maybe Metalik in Tozawa's place, to have a lucha guy in the mix?

Brackets would also point to a Gulak-Sabre quarterfinal, and a Gargano-Swann semi.

Cruiserweight%20Classic%20Bracket.jpg

I don't know if giant images are the done thing on this board, but this graphic helps lay things out a bit more clearly.

It's interesting to me that most of the matches are split into "guy I know vs. guy I don't", and if you watched the special, they really gave you an idea of whose baskets they're putting their eggs in.

Having gone over the bracket I was thinking Sabre vs. Metalik or Tajiri on the left side (or possibly Tozawa), and Ibushi vs. Swann or Gargano on the right, with a Sabre vs. Ibushi final.

Honestly though, I just hope nobody Portugals their way to the final. :P

ZSJ/Dar in the quarters seems quite likely, and would be a great match

Except that they seem to be focusing a decent amount of attention on the Shira brothers and haven't really done anything with Dar. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gurv Shira beat Dar and be ZSJ's QF opponenet.

The "C" of the title is the font from the old WCW logo, or very similar to it. So the CWC strongly makes me think of it me anyway.

Odd they would do something like that, it kinda subliminaly reminds everyone that the whole cruiserweight stuff was WCW's strong point (while WWE never was able to do anything with it).

It wouldn't be the first time, but it'll be odd if they end up renaming any of these guys after they become full time NXT workers. You'll have had this CWC show that everyone who watches NXT also watched, but that Drew Gulak guy from the quarterfinals is now being called Andrew DeGadzooks or whatever. But again, they changed Kruger to Adam Rose one week after he'd been on TV in one gimmick for ages, so the show's reality pretty clearly reserves the right to repackage guys in real time.

Except that they seem to be focusing a decent amount of attention on the Shira brothers and haven't really done anything with Dar. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gurv Shira beat Dar and be ZSJ's QF opponenet.

That's something that's thrown me off in the predicting, because I would have gone with Dar if not for the amount of time they spent pushing the Bollywood Boyz and ignoring him. I can see why you'd make a fuss out of a Bollywood tag team, but part of me hopes their largely ignoring guys like Dar or Nese is more a red herring than a time issue, so they can tell a story of someone quietly being the "breakout star" after not paying much attention to them.

It wouldn't be the first time, but it'll be odd if they end up renaming any of these guys after they become full time NXT workers. You'll have had this CWC show that everyone who watches NXT also watched, but that Drew Gulak guy from the quarterfinals is now being called Andrew DeGadzooks or whatever. But again, they changed Kruger to Adam Rose one week after he'd been on TV in one gimmick for ages, so the show's reality pretty clearly reserves the right to repackage guys in real time.

They had Biff Busick work under his real name on TV for a few weeks then repackaged him as Oney Baloney or whatever his new wacky name is.

Not to mention that weird deal where they released Danny Burch, brought him back a few months later to do TV jobs and called him Martin Stone, then brought him back again to do more TV jobs but went back to calling him Danny Burch.

That's something that's thrown me off in the predicting, because I would have gone with Dar if not for the amount of time they spent pushing the Bollywood Boyz and ignoring him. I can see why you'd make a fuss out of a Bollywood tag team, but part of me hopes their largely ignoring guys like Dar or Nese is more a red herring than a time issue, so they can tell a story of someone quietly being the "breakout star" after not paying much attention to them.

There's a 90 second special promo look on Dar on the WWE YouTube channel, which not all guys are getting, and they posted the footage of his qualifying match last month, so in my head they'd given him some build up, but yeah, you're right about the Bollywood Boyz getting a bit of coverage too. Still, there's always a chance of Dar/ZSJ