Pro Wrestling Only

"Big changes to EVOLVE"

kjh

PWInsider is reporting that:

"Some big changes to EVOLVE. Moving forward, the promotion is going to try and focus more on talents who have upward mobility to move onto WWE developmental. While the door is still open to use talents who are under contract elsewhere in shorter programs or as guest stars on certain events, the idea going forward is to have a pool of talents that WWE scouts could see and potentially want to hire, as they did Johnny Gargano last week.

As part of the initiative, Sami Callihan finished up with the promotion on Saturday as he's signed a deal with Lucha Underground. The original plan for Wrestlemania 32 weekend was to have Callihan challenge EVOLVE champion Timothy Thatcher. Again, the door isn't closed and he could pop up but a longer-term program or storyline is a little more difficult as he would be outside the parameters of what EVOLVE wants to focus on going forward."

My thoughts here: http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/4/6/11380544/evolve-wwe-relationship-grows-stronger-focus-changing

I'm not sure how big these changes will actually be. This has been the general direction of the promotion for some time now, and I don't think that should surprise anyone.

Also keep in mind that there is a storyline with Galloway that is built around the dark side of WWE influence. I'm not saying Johnson got worked at all, but this is an instance where letting it play out may prove prudent.

Not terribly surprising, but interesting. I am not sure it strikes me as a huge change. If this just means they shift around the roster a bit to feature different guys from the fairly large talent pool they tap into, it could be fairly harmless. Others will still show up, they will just be featured differently. It isn't like evolves primary selling point is their lengthy and interwoven feuds. However, this sort of changes the general ethos of Evolve and it starts to feel, as it was aptly put above, like a developmental for a developmental, it could be a turn off.

It remains to be seen if this is a relatively harmless shift in the talent pool or something that changes the general tone of Evolve.

Also keep in mind that there is a storyline with Galloway that is built around the dark side of WWE influence. I'm not saying Johnson got worked at all, but this is an instance where letting it play out may prove prudent.

Is this like the storyline where Shane McMahon complains about how Triple H and Stephanie are running WWE into the ground?

I think the judge of how much influence this really is will be Chris Hero. it is obvious that the WWE didn't see anything in him especially Triple H who is running this entire game right now. If we start seeing less of him then you know that EVOLVE is basically the OVW of NXT.

I'm not sure how big these changes will actually be. This has been the general direction of the promotion for some time now, and I don't think that should surprise anyone.

I think this is the key point. Perhaps its somewhat more formalized now or there's greater awareness, but it doesn't necessarily mean there's any dramatic shift in the relationship or approach.

I think the judge of how much influence this really is will be Chris Hero. it is obvious that the WWE didn't see anything in him especially Triple H who is running this entire game right now. If we start seeing less of him then you know that EVOLVE is basically the OVW of NXT.

I don't think this is the case at all, they pushed the shit out of him in NXT. When NXT first turned into it's own little promotion he was pushed as a top heel. They wanted him to get in shape, which let's face it wasn't unreasonable, but he somehow kept gaining weight. From what I understand they told him that the door was open for him to return if he showed a greater commitment to conditioning.

I don't think this is the case at all, they pushed the shit out of him in NXT. When NXT first turned into it's own little promotion he was pushed as a top heel. They wanted him to get in shape, which let's face it wasn't unreasonable, but he somehow kept gaining weight. From what I understand they told him that the door was open for him to return if he showed a greater commitment to conditioning.

And since then he has gained about 50 pounds. Granted he is still as awesome as before but he is way past the "skinny fat" phase

Conditioning? The guy have a match that was over 2 hours just recently how much more conditioning does he need? Also he was in the best shape of his career right before he was let go so the idea that he "kept gaining weight" I see people throw around is always a head scratcher to me. Hero was an example plain and simple HHH fired Hero to show all the current and future indy guys that no matter how good you think you are that doesn't guarantee you anything because if they are going to fired Chris Hero what chance do you have? Yes the door is open to a return because at that point they can easily just say he's shown that he's matured as a worker or he's applied the lessons he learned here or really any corporate double talk bs they like to make it seem like the reason they take him back is based on anything logic.

Conditioning? The guy have a match that was over 2 hours just recently how much more conditioning does he need? Also he was in the best shape of his career right before he was let go so the idea that he "kept gaining weight" I see people throw around is always a head scratcher to me. Hero was an example plain and simple HHH fired Hero to show all the current and future indy guys that no matter how good you think you are that doesn't guarantee you anything because if they are going to fired Chris Hero what chance do you have? Yes the door is open to a return because at that point they can easily just say he's shown that he's matured as a worker or he's applied the lessons he learned here or really any corporate double talk bs they like to make it seem like the reason they take him back is based on anything logic.

Are you basing this on anything but opinion, because from everything I've heard it was a pretty amicable parting. Hero is a guy who has the frame to have a good body, he just doesn't seem very interested in putting the work in to be in that kind of shape. They asked him to put the work in, and he never got into the kind of shape they wanted and they released him. That isn't HHH trying to send a message, that was HHH releasing someone who didn't do what they asked him to do. I'd like to see Hero in NXT too, but I fully understand why he isn't there.

I'm not saying it wasn't amicable but, his shape from his finally appearance on NXT was much better than it had ever been so if it was based on his shape why would they release him once he was finally showing improvement? In Hero's shoot interview after leaving he made it clear the door is open for a return and he said it was not based on his shape then shortly after on a conference call HHH mentioned a guy that "had all the talent in the world but couldn't get the WWE style" this to me is the clear cut message it doesn't matter how good you are we will cut you if we want to cut you so be humble.

You just made our argument for us. Is Triple H going to look at Chris Hero in his current shape which is significantly worse then he was released and think that he is shown a great commitment to conditioning. Even if in reality Chris has in terms of endurance and staminia for a guy to use terms like "skinny fat" I don't see it

I didn't make your argument for you because my point is he was not released based on his shape your argument now is that HHH released Hero in the past because he knew he would get out of shape back on the indies? I didn't say that his shape now isn't keeping him from going back. Unless the over all model of what they are looking for in wrestlers is completely changed soon we won't be back in NXT as a wrestler.

I find it hard to believe that him being out of shape had nothing to do with his release when he says stuff like this.

I would say that the issue was less conditioning and more of an overall look. Anybody that has ever known me or been in the ring with me knows that I can wrestle all day and all night long. I don't get tired, that's not the issue. It's more of a cosmetic issue and my body type is different. I have different ways of working out and my eating habits are at the time. Anybody that has followed my career has seen a lot of fluctuation. I have gone from no muscle tone whatsoever to plumping up to three hundred pounds to cutting that off and becoming more toned and then cutting as much body fat as possible, so I have had my fluctuations and I've switched things around so I think that was more of a cosmetic look and my coaches or the powers-that-be were all very supportive. It's really hard to pin point any one thing. I think it's just a matter of they knew who I was, they knew what I presented, what I had to offer, I just don't think they saw anything for me in the immediate future, they thought it would be best to let me go and let me do my own thing for a little a while.