Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole "Cena needs to drop the title" nonsense is getting more insane by the day.

The fact is Cena's getting more reaction than anyone on the roster, even if it's not the intended one. He's already acknowledged in promos that half the crowd hates him, they'd be better off turning him heel than having him drop the title.

With all the differing opinions on-line and all the people that are never happy, destined to "go against the grain" and whatnot, there's always going to be some sort of backlash. People complain that Cena doesn't get pushed. People complain that Cena doesn't lose. People complain that he's not the champion. People complain that he is the champion. People complain that WWE doesn't do long title reigns anymore. People complain that the title reigns are too long. His gimmick sucks, he needs to turn heel, no his gimmick needs to be more hardcore, he needs to stay face, he sells merchandise, he's a wigger, only women and children cheer for him, he's stale, he can't wrestle, his finisher sucks, etc. It's just a sea of ungrateful bastards. There's a reason that "smarks" are "looked down upon."

Welcome to the internet.

I think there's few smarks left anymore to be honest. A lot of smarks have almost completely reverted back to marks and just accept the crap thrown at them by the WWF. The amount of praise Mark Henry is getting on some boards can only be coming from marks. The others just like to complain. It's funny seeing a poster completely contradict themselves when a company actually did what they wanted.

Though I still believe that the net collectively went insane when Eddie died.

What makes it worse is some of the complaints are valid, his finisher (at least the way he does it now) is horrible, and his gimmick is way watered down than it was when he first started doing it. Him being able to wrestle or not would be valid, but that's not nearly as essential as the smarks make it seem.

My only complaint is that he should never have been taken from Smackdown. He just doesn't fit on RAW.

I think the problem though is that they're trying to blame him for bad booking. It's not his fault that the Angle feud has been going on forever and it's not his fault that every week has been essentially the same screwjob finish. The booking for him has been in a complete rut since he came to Raw and I think it killed his reign when they didn't give the fans the Cena/Christian feud they wanted.

Wrestling wise his reign has been miles ahead of Batista but Batista is actually being booked somewhat competently.

I still don't know what a smark is. I just know there are hardcore fans and casual fans, and there are idiots and people who know what they're talking about. A mark is someone who believes what they're watching is real, and I can't see anyone thinking that at this point.

I've always seen a "smark" as someone who separates wrestler from character. Smarks look at it from both perspectives. "Marks" look at wrestling from a one dimensional perspective. "Marks" look at Carlito and say "that guy is a jerk, I hope he gets beat up" "Smarks" separate the two. "He's has a pretty good character, but he sucks in the ring". It's about looking deeper and not accepting things on the surface.

I've always seen a "smark" as someone who separates wrestler from character.  Smarks look at it from both perspectives.  "Marks" look at wrestling from a one dimensional perspective.  "Marks" look at Carlito and say "that guy is a jerk, I hope he gets beat up" "Smarks" separate the two.  "He's has a pretty good character, but he sucks in the ring".  It's about looking deeper and not accepting things on the surface.

I prefer the term hardcore fans. The word "smark" has a negative connotation, and it's not even a real word. It's basically saying that if I look at things in that light when watching wrestling, I'm the one people are sick of bitching about Cena, when I'm not bitching at all about Cena. Know what I mean?

Watching the Best of Piper's Pit made me realize how well Adrian Adonis pulled off his role.

I also noticed how his signoff to the Flower Shop was to tell the audience to drive home safely and may the Lord be your co-pilot, pretty ironic considering the way he died.

It's a stereotype. If you know Hulk Hogan or Triple H's real name, for example, you're a smark. You might not be some super negative know-it-all but that doesn't mean you won't be classified with them just for having internet access and liking wrestling.

OK, then we need a new term for people who constantly bitch about wrestling no matter what any company does, always talks about never watching again (but they still know the latest angles), and are always contridicting themselves when they complain about what they want to see.

I've never really bothered to learn the real names of wrestlers. It seems like useless knowledge and I'd never even consider calling a wrestler by their show name. Fans who call wrestlers by their real names deserve to be smacked in the back of the head by anyone within reach of them.

OK, then we need a new term for people who constantly bitch about wrestling no matter what any company does, always talks about never watching again (but they still know the latest angles), and are always contridicting themselves when they complain about what they want to see.

Trolls?

I always thought the modern definition of "mark" was people who were just stuck in kayfabe, and weren't able to discuss the "technical" aspects of a wrestler, match or angle. And the "smarts" understood all that stuff and talked about it with the knowledge that wrestling wasn't "real". And then "smarks" were marks who thought they were smarts but really didn't know anything :)

I personally like to use "casual" for people who are basically marks, "workrate fan" for people who care about match quality, and "hardcore" for people who aren't workrate fans, but enjoy wrestling at a deeper level than the "casuals". Then of course, "fanboy" for the people who are biased towards certain promotions :D

When I think of "smarks" I think of "smart marks." Smart marks to me are, basically, "kayfabe free." So, I agree with MisawaGQ, that's a pretty good definition. Marks don't know what kayfabe is. They don't care that backstage UT called someone a "boy" and made him go get him some lemonade.

I'm watching WM9, and did the real story behind Hogan's black eye ever come out?

I've heard it was an accident at the gym (which is what the storyline was, with the implication Money Inc made it happen) and I've heard it was Savage busting Hulk in the grill over something (Liz?). All I know is if it was Savage, dude has a hell of a punch since it looks like Hogan has an egg over his eye socket.