Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dangerous A

A good point brought up on the Bruce Mitchell audio update was that now that TNA has bee on Spike TV, the numbers show that they now have around close to a million viewers for the promotion. Good news for Spike because the numbers are very good for them. Bad news for TNA is the buyrates for the ppv's have been the same as when they were on FSN.

Basically they have new viewers and none of them have been compelled enough to buy their ppvs. They are in the same boat as WWE in that TNA gets no ad revenue, so the money has to come from ppv buyrates and that hasn't changed. It shows that what is on top and getting all the angles and skits isn't getting over because basically when TNA went to Spike, they just did a reset of their storylines from when they were on FSN with JJ as champ, AMW as tag champs (although now they're heels) and AJ as X champ. Nothing much changed. Including buyrates. Because it was the same people who were buying before that are buying now and none of the new people are buying into seeing Jeff Jarrett on TV and wanting to pay to see that.

Guest Dangerous A

If the timing is right, their legs aren't cut from beneath them, and JJ actually puts them over, then I can see the right guy getting TNA past the 1.0 rating mark and increasing buyrates a bit.

I remember AJ beating JJ in May or June last year with Tito Ortiz as ref, and AJ didn't get put over because basically Tito beat JJ, not AJ because of the way the match was booked.

Mitchell came up with a fantasy booking scenario where JJ would throw out a shot at Joe and Joe refuse, stating he's seen all the run ins and guitar shots that come with JJ matches and he doesn't want to deal with that. This would build up people wanting to see Joe and JJ some. Then the authority figure would give Joe what he wants, no interference, no guitars, no bullshit. It would then be up to JJ to lose clean to Joe. That would put Joe over. It's also fantasy booking at it's finest because it'll never happen while JJ holds the pencil in this company.

I don't know who it would be. I think a major new arrival (Austin, Rock, Jericho, Goldberg, Lesnar) will be needed to make it happen, and even then, there really aren't any guarantees. But hopefully, no one is hanging on to the fallacy that they are building to a Jeff Jarrett title loss.

Even at that, a lot of people on the net don't know of anything that happened before the Attitude Era and still never saw the evil Abyss-like Mankind.

What internet are you on?
The one we're on now, where 90% of the people on it have no idea of anything pre 1997.

This board obviously is the exception, but you go to almost any other board on teh intarweb and you'll see for yourself.

I don't know who it would be. I think a major new arrival (Austin, Rock, Jericho, Goldberg, Lesnar) will be needed to make it happen, and even then, there really aren't any guarantees. But hopefully, no one is hanging on to the fallacy that they are building to a Jeff Jarrett title loss.

Wasn't it Spike that wanted JJ as champ when TNA started on their network? TNA was hardly in a position to say no, just like with the Sting situation. JJ has to lose at some point, and they actually have more people in the hunt for the NWA title than WWE has for both of their brand belts.

The one we're on now, where 90% of the people on it have no idea of anything pre 1997.

This board obviously is the exception, but you go to almost any other board on teh intarweb and you'll see for yourself.

Well, I guess in my eitist state, I don't frequent the same boards that you do. I surf pretty regularly and have never encountered such an animal.

C'mon, I'm not trying to fight with you, but I know you've had to come across people who's knowledge of pre-1997 wrestling seems to be entirely Hogan, Savage, and Warrior like Loss said.

I would have thought you'd have run into those types, especially with that 80s stuff from DVDVR. How many people on the net remember when Adrian Adonis wasn't a queen? Or when Jesse Ventura wasn't that announcer guy with the funny hats?

The Legends of Wrestling signed a guy from the 1800s called the Terrible Turk. Some of the other players dug up an article on the guy and it's actually kind of funny:

THE TERRIBLE TURK

He was Europe's 350-pound wrestling champ a little over two generations ago. His name was Yussif, but people called him the Terrible Turk because of his massive size and awesome strength. After he won the championship in Europe, he sailed to the United States to contend with our champ - Strangler Lewis - a much smaller man who weighed just a shade over 200 pounds.

Strangler Lewis had a simple plan for defeating his opponents. He'd put his arm around the neck of his competitor and cut off the oxygen at the Adam's apple. Many an opponent had passed out in the ring with Strangler's tactics. The problem Lewis had when it came to fighting the Terrible Turk was that the European giant didn't have a neck! He just went from his head down to those massive shoulders. In the ring, Strangler Lewis couldn't even get a hold, so it wasn't long before Yussif flopped Lewis down on the mat and pinned him.

After winning the championship, the Terrible Turk demanded that every bit of his $5000 prize money be given him in gold. After he shaped the championship belt around his vast, equator-like middle, he stuffed the gold into the belt and boarded the next ship back to Europe. He was elated because not only did he possess America's glory, but he possessed her gold as well. He had won it all - except immortality!

Yussif set sail on the SS Bourgogne. In the middle of the Atlantic, it sank! The Terrible Turk went over the side with his gold still strapped around his waist. The added weight was too much for Yussif, and he sank like a heavy anchor before crew members could get to him with lifeboats. He was never seen again!

http://www.brfwitness.org/Bread/turk.htm

You know, I don't run across these people. I only hear guys talk about these people as if they are everywhere. I am serious when I say I want you to show me where they are at so I can see for myself because I am only hearing alot of over-generalizations right now.

They're the reason you left TSM, or at least one of the reasons. Of course you've run across them. DVDVR has tons of them as well.

I left TSM for alot of reasons and it wasn't fans like the ones you mentioned. It was the lack of true discourse, the bad management, the encouragement of racism and a host of other reasons. Seriously, these outrageous fans are not on DVDVR except for the occasional troll who gets banned within hours of their arrival.If they are on TSM, they weren't there when I used to frequent the place.

I definitely get the vibe that a lot of DVDVR Forum members are like that. Although that might just be because a lot of people over there are pretty dense when it comes to wrestling in general. Whether they're just plain stupid, or johnny-come-lately's, I do not know. Besides, not knowing about pre-1997 wrestling isn't a flaw in itself, it's just that a lot of people like to run their mouths without proper knowledge. Just look at the TSM boards and how many people like to go on about matches of the year and wrestlers of year, despite not watching anything outside of the WWE. Whereas someone who's a johnny-come-lately but also humble, really doesn't stand out.

See, those are the fans I encounter more often... fans with bad taste or limited worldviews. Hell, most of the time I don't know half the shit people are talking about in wrestling history threads. I am def. limited in my knowledge of behind the scenes stuff in old school wrestling. I have about 150 shoots and a couple of books to help me out and that is it. Still, I can't find these fans who have never seen a Mankind in his original outfit or don't know anything from the 80s except Hogan and Warrior. I am not saying they don't exist but I certainly don't think it is 90% of the fans sek makes it out to be.

DVDVR is pretty bad. Loss posted something about HTM ragging on Steamboat. That's a pretty good example as people were trying to compare the handful of of house shows Steamboat did as I.C. champ to the 18 months of shows that HTM did. Others were also trying to say he didn't draw as champ. There was a lot of ignorance going on in there.

Guest Dangerous A

Sad thing is there are a handful of people who know what they are talking about at DVDVR. You just don't want to have to read a bunch of bad posts to find one good one.

I guess it's to be expected. That place is the primary posting ground for the "smark"community, and when you have a large group of people, you'll usually find a large percentage of douchebag idiots. The lack of knowledge is one thing, but there's a lot of pretentious dickheads over there too, which really kills the fun of the forum more than the "casual" types ever could. I'm actually finding the place more tolerable after I started being a bit more liberal with my ignore list.