Pro Wrestling Only

Ryback & WWE part ways

Mando

Yeah, New Japan is the right answer. I like his work, but he should go somewhere where stiffing dudes is welcomed and he'd be presented as a true monster. Plus it'll result in smark fans thinking he "learned how to work/actually got good" in two years time or less, because Okada or whatever.

Come on guys:

1.) Yes, of course he was patterned after Goldberg. Big bald guy who they gave squash wins to in an era where they didn't give them to anyone. He didn't talk except for saying a catch phrase. He had a finisher which involved a suplex position after an impact move (in this case the meathook). They were trying to replicate a specific formula (one that very often works because people love a dominant monster babyface) and that's why there were all the Mania rumors that they'd bring Goldberg back to wrestle him, why Goldberg was asked about him so much, etc. Why the heck are people denying this?

2.) That said, by the end, he had developed into a more interesting wrestler, whether it was implementing some of his more dissonant personal beliefs into his babyface character, or embracing the nasally bully and he ended up being a strong base for smaller wrestlers and much more than his stereotype or the sum of his parts. Just because a guy is a muscle bound goofball doesn't mean he can't learn to work with that in ways that are effective outside of six minute blow-up fests. He was relatively self-aware and dare I say, sensitive, for a guy in his role. I get the impression that some people disliked the idea of Ryback so much that they didn't actually give him a fair shake, especially when it comes to how he developed.

Dave said in his update that Ryback plans to start a nutritional supplement line and a self help book. bwhahaha

I wonder if his book will contain a chapter on how to passive-aggressively cry about your card placement even to go as far to have a belt embroidered with "The Pre Show Stopper" and how productive that is.

And supplements .... right your own joke here.

Meh, he'd fit in NJPW just fine & they can probably use him. I remember him having a promo on top of an ambulance on a RAW that I thought was really strong. Thought that was going to be the turning point for him but nothing ever really came from it.

He's a lot better than the big jacked strong guy NJPW uses in a lot of their undercard multiman matches anyway.

Dave said in his update that Ryback plans to start a nutritional supplement line and a self help book. bwhahaha

I wonder if his book will contain a chapter on how to passive-aggressively cry about your card placement even to go as far to have a belt embroidered with "The Pre Show Stopper" and how productive that is.

What's wrong with that? I'm sure he knows some stuff about supplements, or at least would look like a good spokesman for them. Also, what do you know about his knowledge in self help? The guy could be very motivational and help people, why would you scoff at that when you know nothing about him?

Maybe he would stink at those, but if he is considering them he must have some idea bout them.

I respect anybody who can say "screw it, this isn't working for me so I'm going to do something else" especially in WWE's system. As far as self help, if you're not happy you should do something else, and apparently that's exactly what he's doing. Why should that be seen as a failure? Ryback was one of the better workers on WWE TV in the past year so if he wants to bitch that they didn't better utilize him, he has every right to. But hey, "Musclzzz suck" or whatever. If this was Cesaro or someone similar doing the exact same thing everybody would be point this out as another attempt by the evil WWE machine to hold somebody down.

It just strikes me as "I read a self-help book and I think I could do that." Maybe he could excel at it just like Mero, but I personally think self-help seminars/books are as big a work as wrestling.

As far as nutritional supplements, I'd say 95% of the super jacked guys making money endorsing them are juiced to the max. To admit it would kill their market. To mislead the public to think they too could put on 50 pounds of lean mass and stay cut if they take the same pre-workout/whey protein/creatine products the the spokesman do is another work.

On second thought, maybe he is a perfect fit.

I would scoff at the idea of self-help, but I thought DDP's "Yogas for Guys" thing was ludicrous when I first heard about it at the start of the 2000s. Over the years, it seems that DDP has had tremendous success, though - not only in PR terms with him being looked at the guy who saved Jake Roberts and Scott Hall - but financially. I found this article through a cursory search on Google and its from 2014. It says since 2012, he's sold over 100,000 units of his DDP Yoga product. If all of those units were just the basic DVD pack (selling now for roughly $50, but originally $60), that's a cool 5 million bucks. I'm not sure what his profit margins are, but you'd have to think they're very, very good. DVD sets are cheap to produce and the brand drives for repeat customers. Plus, the entire operation is online, meaning his most expensive overhead is probably just storage? Marketing? If anything, DDP Yoga has only seemed to become even more popular since 2014 too with the explosion of wrestling podcasts. He's probably reaching more ears now than ever before.

I'm not sure Ryback will find the some success, but one never knows. Legion of Doom got in on the ground floor of Zubaz and made a ton in the 90s. Duff McKagan was an alcoholic rocker, but he invested in Amazon, Microsoft, and Starbucks in 94' and probably made more money off of that than GNR and Velvet Revolver royalties combined. I don't know if Ryback-brand Vitamins is his ticket, but if he gets involved in the right product, on the ground floor, and it takes off, he'd be quite a spokesman.

I continue to maintain that Ryback should have beaten Punk for the title. Sure, it would have diminished Rock/Cena. But you have to create new stars at some point, and if you don't strike while the iron is hot, the opportunity could be lost. Ryback was unqestionably over (the same people who were chanting "Goldberg" at the beginning of his matches were usually chanting "feed me more" by the end), and the Hell in a Cell buyrate showed that he could draw if he was properly pushed and protected. Getting punked out by the Shield week after week killed his aura.