Pro Wrestling Only

Gino Dellaserra & Pierre Martel vs. Los Mercenarios (11/27/82)

El Boricua

Holy fucking shit what a fun match. This is a 10 minute straight up sprint with 4 big dudes stiffing the shit out of each other. Pierre gets bloodied and taken out so Gino has to go it alone leading to the inevitable big comeback with Pierre coming back. That thread about your favorite ***1/2 matches “aka very good but not great or MOTYC” this is a perfect example of that type of match. It isn't quite ***1/2 stars but is a really fun match. I want to see more of all of these guys.

Well, I did not know Rick Martel had a brother. Where Rick was handsome and all shredded like a julienne salad, Pierre is gruff and rugged and he looks like a binman. Never seen Dellaserra before but a cursory google search reveals at least four different spelling variations of his surname. The VQ isn't always spectacular on this - though dodgy VQ on early 80s studio matches that you'd never check out otherwise is part of the charm of the 80s sets - so I'm not sure which version of Los Mercenarios this is. Judging by the timeline I'd have thought it'd be Angel Acevedo/Cuban Assassin and Gerry Morrow, but it doesn't look like Morrow. Acevedo's hair/beard combination is absolutely spectacular. He's achieved true lunatic caveman status with that. This was rolling along nicely with some spirited arm work by Martel and Dellaserra, then Martel ends up on the floor and comes back in covered in blood so we have ourselves another 'Welcome to the Puerto Rico, Motherfucker!' situation. I'm all in on Puerto Rico studio matches already. Crowds are raucous and there's blood and shithousing for days. I'm not even sure what the finish was but there was eye-gouging and face-biting and blood and beard everywhere. I dug this.

So Pierre Martel looks absolutely nothing like Rick. Scruffy and bulky. This was a fun studio tag with a super hot crowd. Dellaserra throws some dropkicks with little height that the crowd eats up as though it was Okada or Styles. Martel is busted open on the floor, with the heels then working and biting the cut. Not exactly sure about the finish but looked like some sort of DQ. Fun match that leaves you wanting more but was never quite enough to be great, although one hell of a showing for TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dirty Castro heels is a great gimmick, and these guys have a Cuban Moondogs feel about them to boot. Early color on Martel but way too quick on the hot tag -- fans got into it but too rushed to pull me in. Martel comes back to the ring with a fucking bandage on his head like a badass, but it felt like he was gone for 45 seconds before coming back out. I guess that shows how amped he was to get back in, mix it up, and get his revenge, but it was all too rushed again. Take this match and extend each part by 3 or 4 minutes to build up and you've got something awesome, but compress the entire thing into 5 minutes and you've got a fun TV tag match with some color.

Rating: 5

• 9 months later...