Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Super Show-Down

KawadaSmile

32 minutes ago, NickH said:

I just listened to John Pollack's and Wai Ting's post show and the Observer post show and I just had to laugh when they got to the Elias match. They were trying to figure out what he was talking about before the match. Clearly they have never heard of the biggest sport in Australia, no it's not rugby or soccer. It's Australian Rules Football you muppets. The greatest sport you have never heard of. Rant over, gonna have a vegemite sandwich.

This is what Elias was talking about if your curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JirTw6MLblY

Not the biggest sport in NSW & QLD which have over 50% of the countries population

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/6/2018 at 10:42 AM, Big Pete said:

Definitely not a show for the purists.

Super Show-Down was a glorified house show, but in order to draw 70K fans they needed the show to be a novelty. So the 1-2 punch of making it the first ever PPV from Australia and the last ever HHH-Taker match was about the best they could do. Not only was it the final chapter of that rivalry, it was the first time The Undertaker had been to the country since 2004, so having the opportunity to watch that one last epic Taker style match was a nice sentiment.

Personally I was let-down because the one match I was looking forward to (Bryan-Miz) was a glorified segment opposed to a real match. In saying that, it was good to see Buddy Murphy become the first Australian wrestler to win a WWE Title and to see that happen at the most famous stadium in Australia was a sweet moment and easily the biggest in 205 Live history.

Now I'm just holding out for Jimmy Redman's review. :lol:

I am not sure why WWE played up The IIconics and Murphy, but fail to mention Nia is Australian. Is it due to the Aussie's notorious hatred of POC? I am not sure what's going on there.

15 hours ago, NickH said:

I just listened to John Pollack's and Wai Ting's post show and the Observer post show and I just had to laugh when they got to the Elias match. They were trying to figure out what he was talking about before the match. Clearly they have never heard of the biggest sport in Australia, no it's not rugby or soccer. It's Australian Rules Football you muppets. The greatest sport you have never heard of. Rant over, gonna have a vegemite sandwich.

This is what Elias was talking about if your curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JirTw6MLblY

15 hours ago, Gulus said:

Not the biggest sport in NSW & QLD which have over 50% of the countries population

Folks, welcome to the Australian culture wars.

36 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees said:

I am not sure why WWE played up The IIconics and Murphy, but fail to mention Nia is Australian. Is it due to the Aussie's notorious hatred of POC? I am not sure what's going on there.

Ha, somebody else just told me she was born here.

It has nothing to do with her race. Some of Australia's most decorated sports stars are Polynesian and we're more than happy to celebrate their culture. I'd say it's because she didn't spend a lot of time here and doesn't consider her Australian background a huge part of her identity.

I know everything and I literally had no idea Nia was born in Sydney until right now. Nothing to do with us, I don't think anybody is even aware of it. It's never been mentioned on TV as far as I know, and they didn't even bring her. I wonder how long she lived in Sydney or if it's a Kane thing.

I appreciate you waiting with baited breath for my review. When I get a moment I'll be back with some long form thoughts. In the meantime you can hear my initial reaction from after the show in audio form here:

https://placetobe.podbean.com/e/ptbn-network-podblast-wwe-super-show-down-live-report/

Well the point is it has nothing to do with this show or Australia being racist.* Because it's something that neither Nia herself or WWE has ever really mentioned so it's just not something a lot of people would be aware of. It's not kayfabe, like they're pretending she was born somewhere else. It's just not a thing. Like Kane randomly being from Madrid.

How many people actually knew this? I sure didn't. And I'm the one from Sydney! I'm now kind of mad I had no idea all this time. Aussie Nia the Australian Wrestler!

* Not denying this country is racist as fuck, but that's getting too far away from the topic.

I'm guessing it's nothing more sinister than Nia not considering herself Australian. Just because she was born there didn't mean she has to identify herself as bring from there. I've got a friend who was born in Canada to two English parents, left when he was three and has never returned, and he's certainly never referred to himself as Canadian. Nia's wiki says she was brought up in Hawaii and San Diego, so she probably has no memory of Australia as part of her upbringing. Besides, the show had the Iiconics and Murphy, who are all openly Australian, they didn't need to force that onto Nia to muddy the waters.