Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 07/23 - 07/29 Let's dig out tweets from 2009 - 2010

KawadaSmile

Owens somehow winning the briefcase and the title would be so ridiculously bad - just the absolute worst decision they could make. So, yeah, they'll probably do it for some reason.

If they want Reigns to be champion, I'd go with this:  Reigns wins clean, the crowd boos accordingly, and Strowman (who still has the briefcase) walks out to cash in...only for Reigns to purposely dodge the fight by taking a count-out loss through the crowd. This wouldn't officially turn Reigns heel, but it would be that first big, huge, big step where Reigns could come out on RAW and say he beat Lesnar, clean, and he outsmarted the Monster - not because he was scared, but because it was (in what would be a great callback, IMO), what was "Not best for this business, best for my business." 

If they actually want to leave this show with the crowd happy, Braun cashes in and they turn Reigns after, possibly in Reigns automatic rematch at the next show. 

I was on-board with Reigns being booked as the top babyface before Mania. Ever since then, I've totally switched my view. An argument could've been made that Reigns could be "The Next Cena" in that the 50/50 crowds could be ignored because he was still immensely over with kids but I'd have to see the numbers to believe he's doing business with that demo the way Cena or Mysterio were. Does he shine in the PR department the way Cena does? Again, Cena set the bar really high there (500 Make a Wish visits according to google) and I"m not sure Reigns does even as much PR work as The Miz, so, again, its not like turning Reigns is nearly as earth-shattering as a Cena turn would've been at his peak. Finally,  even if "SuperCena"/"LOLCENAWINS!1!" pissed people off, there was at least internal logic to Cena's dominance. With Reigns, they've gone all over the map - he could beat Brock 4 years ago, he could beat Taker, but now he can't beat Brock, two weeks ago he couldn't beat Lashley, he's split wins with Braun, hell, didn't he lose to Finn Balor at some point in a relatively big match? Maybe its more of a feel than the actual statistics would show, but to me, it certainly feels like Cena was booked much stronger from 05'-08' than Reigns has been booked from 2015-now. I definitely subscribe to the notion that Reigns is the worst booked "top babyface" they've ever had, even moreso than Rey or Bryan (whose top babyface runs were comparatively very short).

Someone mentioned this a little while back but with Bryan on the card and probably losing earlier in the night (Miz pretty much has to win the first match of the program) the crowd is going to be even more pissed going into the main event.

my initial thought is Vince just bites the bullet here and we get a clean .Roman win to end the night.  No cash in or any extracurricular stuff

The house show matches for Joe/Styles have been quite decent. Nothing earth shattering but there is a nice Muscle Buster/Styles Clash to Forearm counter sequence to close. Will be nice to see it at all in HD and in landscape view.

Bryan/Miz though was fantastic. There was a thread recently comparing Bryan to Styles and these two house show pairs would be my go to as to why Styles isn't in the same conversation. Bryan/Miz was super over and Bryan invested the crowd into his spots, milking each moment and playing things up rather than two wrestlers going at it in a vacuum (Styles/Joe). Miz/Bryan is going to be by far and away the best match on the card if their live matches are anything to go by.

Extreme rules was poor and baffling decisions are part of the show as ever but generally WWE has been solid this year. Somebody the other day said there's only two or three guys on the roster that seem to have any direction and i think that's nonsense. In fact I'm finding it increasingly hard to relate to the negativity on this board. There's been a noticeable uptick in promo quality the last few months too. A lot of this of course is down to the roster, some of which is transcendent.

57 minutes ago, Badlittlekitten said:

Extreme rules was poor and baffling decisions are part of the show as ever but generally WWE has been solid this year. Somebody the other day said there's only two or three guys on the roster that seem to have any direction and i think that's nonsense. In fact I'm finding it increasingly hard to relate to the negativity on this board. There's been a noticeable uptick in promo quality the last few months too. A lot of this of course is down to the roster, some of which is transcendent.

Completely agreed.  Of course there’s some trash but it’s unavoidable when they are doing 5 hrs of TV a week.

Part of the reason why Dave gets asked all the time if different people have final say on Raw and SD is how it seems to be two separate promotions. SD is able to have focus on multiple storylines and generally try to elevate people, while Raw is usually the same way-to-long slog with the same people as the focus constantly. 

So while SD has seemed to go back to the better show it was for a while, it doesn't make it any less true that the rest of the main roster programming has been lacking.

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

Part of the reason why Dave gets asked all the time if different people have final say on Raw and SD is how it seems to be two separate promotions. SD is able to have focus on multiple storylines and generally try to elevate people, while Raw is usually the same way-to-long slog with the same people as the focus constantly. 

So while SD has seemed to go back to the better show it was for a while, it doesn't make it any less true that the rest of the main roster programming has been lacking.

Shouldn't we explain part of this by the fact that Triple H is actually running the shows on Tuesday and that Vince isn't even attending the Smackdown shows? I know that he has the last word on creative and such but the pacing of Smackdown is so different from RAW - forget about the extra hour that RAW has - that it's clearly obvious that Triple H has more influence on a show than the other.