Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/26 - 12/3 Our Foreigns Affairs minister is a global warming denier

KawadaSmile

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Entertainment has always been about politics and people's opinions thereon. The original Star Trek series barely tried to hide the fact that several of their most well known episodes were commentary on then-current events, hell the "City on the Edge of Forever" episode would be timely today.

Stan Lee's passing was an opportunity to remember comics were also very tuned in to politics. Captain America was literally created both in storyline and in real life to punch Nazis. The X-Men's fight for mutant rights was a parallel to the Civil Rights battles of the 1960s down to Professor X and Magneto in the roles of MLK and Malcom X,  fighting for the same goal through different means. 

Wrestling does it too, the evil Nazi-like German heels and the salt tossing sneaky Japanese heels were long time staples.  Every promotion in the 80s had an evil Russian, playing off the politics of the era. 

Not sure where anyone ever got the notion that any form of entertainment they enjoy was ever devoid of politics. 

The same complaint has been shared about anime. I'll share this from earlier this week, Akira is about mass popular resistance to the militarization of Japan by the JSDF and right-wing governments. Dragon Ball Z features real estate developers as the initial set of villains.Space Battleship Yamato is 5 tv series, 2 OVA series, 7 animated and one live-action movie of anti-nuclear war and environmental activism translated to children's TV. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I was thinking of ribbing KS and starting a WWE weekly thread subtitled " Our President Continues To Be A Sleazy, Stupid, Racist, Moron Con-Man Whose Very Existence Is Proof That Either God Isn't Real, Or He Went Old Testament On Us, And We Had It Coming", but now I'm thinking twice. 

I would actually feel jealous of not coming up with a title like that before tho

6 hours ago, Strummer said:

Just a thought about Mania.  We are probably going to be getting Becky Lynch beating Ronda Rousey in the main event so much like WM 30 people will probably look past any potential problems with the other big matches because we are getting the massive cathartic ending

That sounds ideal from their point of view and it's really lucky that they stumbled into Becky getting over so big because to me, Lesnar vs Rollins very much feels like a middle of the card match. I have no idea why they wouldn't just go with Braun, unless Brock genuinely does hate him and won't put him over. Even then, it seems like McIntyre is the end goal for them atm so why not just put him over Brock directly instead of giving us a Rollins transitional reign?

I'm going to try to be more religious about getting my comments on here & on Twitter because I do watch the show every week.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the early Nitro style booking of the Women's main event scene. Nia, Becky, Ronda & Charlotte all have beefs with each other and everything feels electric. Love all the name dropping. I'm so stoked for Nia vs Becky...I hope it's at Rumble but Mania would be even sweeter!

im pretty apathetic about Rollins & Ziggler individually but I think they have great chemistry together. Very good match normally not a fan of Superplex/Falcons Arrow but it felt electric and felt like THE FINISH and best part it was THE FINISH, no kick out good stuff.

Baron Corbin is the number one heel on RaW. That's really...amazing...RAW Main Event just screams midcard right now. I do think Corbin is a good stooge and has a sweet right hand. He moves like Kane so much and has so many of his mannerisms. We got another 17 years of Corbin people!

Heyman has to be booking right? This stuff with Drake Maverick is terrible. Has it been confirmed he is booking again?

WAIT THAT WAS THE WORST RAW EVER?!? Oh my God are you guys kidding me? That was child's play compared to some shit we have all seen. Holy Overreaction! I went to RAW in Boston in July that was way worse and way more boring. Y'all being silly. Nia Jax ruled in that segment. 

On 11/29/2018 at 1:04 AM, sek69 said:

Smackdown was up this week, proving Becky = Ratings.

And it was a pretty great show. I'm at a point where I only have so much time to watch TV shows and I don't watch weekly wrestling as insanely religiously like I once did. But I watch SD and it's great. Becky, AJ, Bryan, and Joe ? And The Bar, Usos, And New Day? And The Miz? Fuck, that's the show I'm finding time for. SD has all my favorite acts right now, it feels like 2002.

Smackdown was pretty good. I would have went full Austin...had her strip of the championship. But I understand they no main eventers besides Rousey so they need her. I can't begrudge them that.

As an Asuka mark, I'm glad she is joining the main event mix. I hope it is not like Alberto Del Rio. This is a pretty exciting time in WWE and as I said above it feels like Nitro circa 1995. So many different directions and so many moving parts. 

AJ Styles was great in defeat. So many times Cena is worried about coming off as a complainer but instead he can come off like he doesn't care. If someone cheats to beat you, then you have a just cause to complain and say you want to smash in his face. Great job by AJ!

Rest of the show was fine. They cooled off Rusev and should have had him unseat Nakamura earlier. Orton vs Mysterio feels out of time and like it is 2006. I'm excited because they have great chemistry but it doesn't feel like it with have consequences. Joe vs Jeff Hardy, was that done in TNA? I think that will be good.