Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/26 - 12/3 Our Foreigns Affairs minister is a global warming denier

KawadaSmile

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, WrestlingFan said:

Do you really have to always write that kind of title ? Do you really have to always talk about political events of your country ? You know, some people in this board might have other views than you. Accept the results of the elections, democracy has spoken. I find disappointing you can't stick to wrestling.

I'm starting to think there is nowhere you can go anymore to escape hearing about politics and people's opinions thereon.  Can't go on Social Media, can't turn on the Television or watch a movie, and now you can't even go to PWO.  Entertainment used to be escapism, but not so much anymore.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I'm starting to think there is nowhere you can go anymore to escape hearing about politics and people's opinions thereon.  Can't go on Social Media, can't turn on the Television or watch a movie, and now you can't even go to PWO.  Entertainment used to be escapism, but not so much anymore.

Entertainment has always been about politics and people's opinions thereon. The original Star Trek series barely tried to hide the fact that several of their most well known episodes were commentary on then-current events, hell the "City on the Edge of Forever" episode would be timely today.

Stan Lee's passing was an oppportunity to remember comics were also very tuned in to politics. Captain America was literally created both in storyline and in real life to punch Nazis. The X-Men's fight for mutant rights was a parallel to the Civil Rights battles of the 1960s down to Professor X and Magneto in the roles of MLK and Malcom X,  fighting for the same goal through different means. 

Wrestling does it too, the evil Nazi-like German heels and the salt tossing sneaky Japanese heels were long time staples.  Every promotion in the 80s had an evil Russian, playing off the politics of the era. 

Not sure where anyone ever got the notion that any form of entertainment they enjoy was ever devoid of politics. 

9 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I'd book a champion vs champion, title for title, at the main event. The winner unifies both women's championships and their rosters, and an exclusive women brand starts. You know, if cruiserweights and even NXT freaking UK have their own weekly shows, why not women?

Ugh. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but that sounds like a downgrade for the women. Shuffling them off onto their own show, in its own little self-contained universe, strikes me as more of a demotion than any kind of promotion for any of them.

The women seem to be better served by interacting with and appearing alongside the main male stars on Raw, SD, etc.

Gifting them their own show may seem like a reward on paper, but what does it accomplish really? It just further segregates them and makes them easily forgettable. At least Raw and SD regularly has eyeballs on them. Who really follows 205 Live or NXT UK? Only the most diehard fans.

Merchandise sales for the ladies would certainly drop off, and overall exposure would certainly suffer.

If you want to have a "proving ground" weekly show for the women - removing them from NXT and placing them there instead - then sure. But removing them from Raw & SD and depositing them on this isolated island of a show instead? I just don't see it benefiting any of the ladies the way their presence on Raw and SD does.

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Entertainment has always been about politics and people's opinions thereon. The original Star Trek series barely tried to hide the fact that several of their most well known episodes were commentary on then-current events, hell the "City on the Edge of Forever" episode would be timely today.

Stan Lee's passing was an oppportunity to remember comics were also very tuned in to politics. Captain America was literally created both in storyline and in real life to punch Nazis. The X-Men's fight for mutant rights was a parallel to the Civil Rights battles of the 1960s down to Professor X and Magneto in the roles of MLK and Malcom X,  fighting for the same goal through different means. 

Wrestling does it too, the evil Nazi-like German heels and the salt tossing sneaky Japanese heels were long time staples.  Every promotion in the 80s had an evil Russian, playing off the politics of the era. 

Not sure where anyone ever got the notion that any form of entertainment they enjoy was ever devoid of politics. 

I am well aware of the fact that entertainment has always made political statements, I watched Star Trek and read Comic Books.  Also, I'm not an idiot.  But thanks for the history lesson, all the same. If you don't think the amount of political rhetoric from the entertainment industry and media in general has increased over the past few years, and if you don't think it's reasonable for somebody to want to have a place where they don't have to hear about politics all the damn time, then I don't know what to tell you.

I agreed with the original poster "WrestlingFan."  In my opinion, it would be nice to come to place called ProWrestlingOnly, and read the thread which is supposed to be discussing WWE TV for that week, without having to ALSO hear about what some dumbass politician in a country I don't live in thinks about climate change.  I like KawadaSmile, but I don't really care about the political situation in Brazil.  Hell, I don't care about the political situation in America either, for that matter.  I'm Canadian, we have our own problems, which I also don't care all that much about.  But maybe for fun, next week I'll start the WWE thread, and title it: "WWE TV 12/3 - 12/10: JUSTIN TRUDEAU IS STILL NEGOTIATING REVISED TRADE AGREEMENT WITH TRUMP."

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Redman said:

I like my idea of having NXT Men's and NXT Women's and keeping the main roster together.  

Unless. You give the women either Raw or SD, keeping that name.

You would have to do that in order to make an all women's show work and be taken seriously.  We all saw what happened when they gave the Cruiserweights their own show on the Network.  It got treated as an afterthought.  I don't know enough about the ratings breakdowns, but I think the men's and women's segments do pretty much the same ratings now, don't they?  I don't see any good argument against giving the women their own show, provided it doesn't get treated the way 205 Live did/does.

I have to admit I'm probably just being bitchy because I've been dealing with same damn flu for over a week and it won't go away.  I have a wicked cough and recurring fever and it seems to be making me crabby. Well...crabbier than normal. Stuff I usually shrug off or ignore seems to be getting under my skin for some reason. I chewed out a clerk at Staples earlier today, which is not at all like me.  (The kid totally deserved it, but I usually don't bother arguing in those types of situations.)  No offense to anybody here if I was being abrasive. 

23 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Us, Canadians are usually very polite but we can lose our shit on stuff with the best of them.

Especially the French! :P

Light-hearted-semi-political content below, ~watch out!:

29 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I like KawadaSmile, but I don't really care about the political situation in Brazil

That's cool, bubba. My subtitles are more often than not intended to be intentionally absurd or out of left field than ~POLITICAL STATEMENTS~ themselves. There was one thread which I did talk about politics, but made sure that all of the more serious, political content were hidden in spoiler tags. I try to keep them as short headliners, but the most important part is having "WWE TV mm/dd - mm/dd" in it.

And, in fact, in my serious post, I addressed what you said previously: entertainment is escapism. And at that moment, shortly after Roman announced his fight against leukemia, shit hit very hard. The political situation in my country was, and still is, very dire. My favorite wrestler ever just announced he had a life-threatening disease. It ain't that easy to just zone out and forget what's going on - real life can indeed affect one's enjoyment of things and one's hability to escape reality, even moreso when it's the entertainment itself that also makes it had to zone out.

That being said, if you do create another weekly thread with a topical Canadian political reference, be my guest, really! It would actually be very amusing.

29 minutes ago, sek69 said:

This might be the maddest I've ever seen a Canadian get about anything, ever. 

(ps: I know TTK knows there's no ill will, right? I wasn't trying to be all WELL ACTUALLY to him in particular)

I can't imagine getting too seriously angry with you.  We've been posting on the same messageboards for a scary amount of time, you were back at Rantysylvania from the very start, weren't you?  I at least remember you from WDI and that was what...15 years ago?

Also, I just read my original response to you and the first thing I thought was...

91sn32Q.jpg

Last week I derailed the thread into a discussion about Lars Sullivan and I regret it. So, my repentance will be to try to stick to talking about just the TV product. 

Let's play a game where we list why the Seth Rollins/Dean Ambrose feud is a flop. I'll start.

Seth Rollins, for as much as I don't "get" his appeal, is clearly above being the IC Champion and feuding with guys he's already feuding with - Ambrose and Ziggler - so, its kinda like, the definition of a filler feud or a "wait and see" regarding his chances as a potential WrestleMania main eventer against Brock. 

I know there's at least a half dozen other reasons, anyone else want to chime in?

2 minutes ago, DMJ said:

I know there's at least a half dozen other reasons, anyone else want to chime in?

Ambrose is a horrible promo, and I'm not sure if it's the writing team's fault any longer. I fail to see how he doesn't have a single creative input when he's one of the top talent in RAW and his feud with Rollins is the biggest deal in that brand.

Another reason this Ambrose/Rollins feud sucks is every time Dean does something wacky now, the other announcers turn on Renee all "GURL GET YO MANS" .  Besides the sexist connotations (why should she have to explain for his actions?) as far as I know they never acknowledged they were married on TV before now.  For someone who doesn't follow the behind the scenes news, it comes off like they are just being weirdly aggressive toward her.

55 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Ugh. Seth being discussed as "the one to beat Brock" TWICE in the same calendar year is some end-of-days awful type shit.

Well the one from earlier this year was people just theorizing and speculating.  This time Meltz says it's the plan for Mania.  Doesn't necessarily mean Brock will still be champion though