Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

Would've been cool to see this, but Corny had to Corny (not that he's the only one to blame - plenty of that to go around not catching this on a show taped weeks ago, but really the blame should be for hiring him in the first place when everyone knew exactly what would happen eventually).

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, peachchaos said:

And I was so into this show. Simply recasting the commentator role won't be enough to wash the taste away at this point. 

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Same. I was also really looking forward to the PPV. Now I don't know if I'll feel guilty when watching it going forward or not. What a shit situation. Even removing Cornette, now there's the whole production/Lagana talking point in the back of my mind. I really enjoy some of the talent they're using, like Nick Aldis & Kamille.  

I'm very disappointed that this whole situation arose, with Cornette for making the joke and then with the NWA for not editing it out when they had plenty of time to do so.  Having said that, I can't honestly say that this is going to keep me from being a fan of the NWA, watching Power or ordering the PPV.  We've discussed this multiple times before here at PWO, but it bears repeating now...I think in order to be a fan of Professional Wrestling you have to be able to separate your feelings about the performers and the performance. Or especially the management and the product. I've come to accept that Pro Wrestling is pretty much a scummy business run and inhabited by scummy people for the most part. We all have our own personal line and breaking point of course, but for me...this incident wasn't it.

4 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Would've been cool to see this, but Corny had to Corny (not that he's the only one to blame - plenty of that to go around not catching this on a show taped weeks ago, but really the blame should be for hiring him in the first place when everyone knew exactly what would happen eventually).

That has to be when the Rock n Rolls won the NWA Tag Team Championships, I would assume.

1 minute ago, The Thread Killer said:

I'm very disappointed that this whole situation arose, with Cornette for making the joke and then with the NWA for not editing it out when they had plenty of time to do so.  Having said that, I can't honestly say that this is going to keep me from being a fan of the NWA, watching Power or ordering the PPV. 

This wasn't a breaking point or anything, but controversy like this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I'll turn to content that doesn't have that stigma right now. It's not so much that I'm disappointed in everyone involved here (I am), but now something that seemed wholesome is contaminated and cloudy. So I'll remove myself from the toxic environment for the moment. I hope these feelings pass because I wholeheartedly loved this show. But there is a lot of wrestling out there. 

For me it's more the concern of being negatively labeled for being associated with something while the controversy lingers & is fresh in people's minds. Like, I immediately unfollowed Cornette on Twitter. I'm a nobody, but the last thing I want is to be lumped in with him, labeled a racist by association & having social media justice potentially negatively effect my real life if a complete stranger decides he has a bone to pick with Cornette followers or people that have Liked his Tweets or whatever. Overreaction? Yeah, for sure... but better safe than sorry. Same reason I don't want anything to do with WWE & Saudi Arabia when that stuff comes up.

I imagine a lot of wrestlers in the next week or so, particularly the ones with a bone to pick toward Cornette, like Joey Ryan or Sonny Kiss, will make some comments. Austin Aries already has. So there's going to be a lot of mud slinging & I don't want to potentially get wrapped up in that. Because I tweet about wrestling... a lot.

Cornette blocked me for the stupidest reason a while ago, which is a relief in retrospect.

Let's face facts: He is not a very intelligent man. Yes, he's very knowledgeable when it comes to the "rasslin' bidness" and he's a great character and personality, but so what? There are a lot of people well-versed in the facts, figures, and minutiae of wrestling. There are a lot of people who are entertaining on a wrestling show. Hell, I'm sure Trump was very entertaining on The Apprentice. That doesn't make them smart people in general. 

@Coffey makes a great point though: I should really clean up my follow list - I don't really need to be following Vince Russo's son or Disco Inferno. :wacko:

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Cornette blocked me for the stupidest reason a while ago, which is a relief in retrospect.

Let's face facts: He is not a very intelligent man. Yes, he's very knowledgeable when it comes to the "rasslin' bidness" and he's a great character and personality, but so what? There are a lot of people well-versed in the facts, figures, and minutiae of wrestling. There are a lot of people who are entertaining on a wrestling show. Hell, I'm sure Trump was very entertaining on The Apprentice. That doesn't make them smart people in general. 

Didn't he call the Young Bucks pussies for blocking people?

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

TBF a *lot* of people in wrestling do that. 

I only found out about it by accident, when one of my friends made some comment about not liking The Young Bucks and it wasn't directed at them, it was part of some discussion about New Japan or something, and one of them posted some snarky response and blocked him.  My friend was all "WTF, I didn't even tag them in that tweet!"  I know Kevin Nash and The Honky Tonk Man have been known to do the same thing.  I was just flummoxed that these guys have the time to do that, never mind the inclination.  Twitter is hardly the place for the sensitive or easily offended.

25 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I know he automatically blocks anybody who identifies as a Trump supporter or says they're a Republican.  You didn't post a picture of yourself wearing a MAGA hat, did you?

WTF... Are you trying to ruin my reputation on PWO, man? :blink:

It was during the Dark Side of Wrestling series, when the Bret vs. Shawn Montreal episode devolved into a Cornette-Russo pissing contest for the last 20 minutes of the show instead of focusing on Bret and Shawn as advertised. I guess Corny took exception to that because I wanted less of him and Russo and more of Bret and Shawn.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:10 AM, El-P said:

Well, it did strike me before how *white* the roster was.

In their defence, they badly wanted Willie Mack for this project. 

In general, I can't believe how much traction this got from popular culture websites even with Corgan involved. Their TV deal aspirations have probably been killed by this alone.

17 minutes ago, rovert said:

In general, I can't believe how much traction this got from popular culture websites even with Corgan involved. Their TV deal aspirations have probably been killed by this alone.

Slow news day which made it worse.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

TBF a *lot* of people in wrestling do that. 

A lot of athletes in general do it. I have been blocked by a few hockey players for comments I made during games and never interacted with them directly. I think it's pretty dumb. I get blocking people that are being rude to you but don't go looking for it and then get upset.

1 hour ago, rovert said:

I had heard this as well.  In fact, hasn't Billy Corgan claimed that they had an exclusive contract with Willie Mack, which he violated by signing with Impact?  I remember Corgan saying that he had a solid legal case against Mack for breach of contract, but in the end he didn't want to get into another legal battle with Impact after he had just finished getting his money back from the whole Dixie Carter/TNA investment debacle.  In his interview with Mike Johnson he claimed he didn't want to be known as "the lawsuit guy" so he ended up deciding to just let the whole thing go.

It's a shame really, I would have loved to see Willie Mack in the NWA.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:10 PM, El-P said:

Well, it did strike me before how *white* the roster was.

Jazz was the NWA Women's Champion but left out of the blue and vacated the title. 

Not sure what happened there.

(I'm not suggesting anything discriminatory took place, in case that's how it sounds - I'm simply pointing out that African-American performers have been given prominent positions and pushes under Corgan and Lagana.)

I honestly wasn't infering anything serious with my remark, although it did struck me. They do have latino talents.

As far as Mack in NWA, wow, I'm so glad IMPACT grabbed him, it would be such a waste to have him have three minutes matches against Aron Stevens or something instead of killing it teaming with Rich Swann against the North and have actual excellent good, competitive stuff every week. 

8 hours ago, rovert said:

Their TV deal aspirations have probably been killed by this alone.

This is what is amazing about Corny not even apologizing one bit. He only thinks about himself. If by his lack of sense the NWA talent end up being punished, if so unfair to them. I mean, I known I'd be pissed if I was a guy like Aldis, who has invested a bunch in this stuff, that Corny can't do better than a 35 years old joke (I mean, even without the racist tone, it kinda exposes Cornette as someone who recycles stuff that has been irrelevant since the mid 80's… wait… Oh, nevermind….) with racists overtones and then can't even properly say "Well, sorry, I kinda fucked up with this one.". 

In other news, this week's episode of Powerr has about half the number of views it usually is getting after the first day or two. Ouch… 

It can't be emphasized enough how whoever is responsible for the editing screwed up pretty badly with this one too. Of course, you don't look out for this kind of stuff and I understand you might not even really listen to what's being said during a match when you are doing editing work. Still, the negative effects are felt already. And in the end, it is Corny's fault. (I love the argument that "But no one said anything until some fans pointed it out. Thanks Captain Obvious. Yeah, you kinda have to have someone, anyone, point it out to begin with.)

3 hours ago, El-P said:

I mean, I known I'd be pissed if I was a guy like Aldis, who has invested a bunch in this stuff, that Corny can't do better than a 35 years old joke (I mean, even without the racist tone, it kinda exposes Cornette as someone who recycles stuff that has been irrelevant since the mid 80's… wait… Oh, nevermind….) with racists overtones and then can't even properly say "Well, sorry, I kinda fucked up with this one.". 

In addition to the racism, this absolutely exposes Cornette as a lazy dickhead who is bad at his job. The NWA deserves fresh talent and fresh voices who actually give a shit about what they're doing and are coming to play with new ideas instead of recycled old shit.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

In other news, this week's episode of Powerr has about half the number of views it usually is getting after the first day or two. Ouch…  

I wonder if part of that is because the episode was pulled a little over an hour later...

...nah, it's because Corny is a fuckhead, and people now have a sour taste in their mouth.