Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I agree, I like the shorter matches but I do feel like some of the Power episodes need a little more inring action. I generally have enjoyed the shows and will get the PPV but I think they need to tweak things. I think they get a little too talky sometimes.

I listened to the entire interview Mike Johnson did with Billy Corgan, who more or less admitted that they were learning as they went along with the first set of tapings.  I am hoping that next month, now that they have had a chance to evaluate what has worked and what hasn't (as well as who) we will see some significant adjustments during the second set of tapings.  Corgan basically said as much.

Is it too much to hope that Cornette will put forth an unequivocal apology where he says he realises he was wrong and should not have said what he said, and that he is "man enough" to own up to his mistakes (if he wants he can go on a rant here about how Russo never does) and that he will not do this again? What's the point of obstinately fighting and holding your ground when you said something stupid and problematic and there isn't a whole lot more to say about it?

14 minutes ago, MoS said:

Is it too much to hope that Cornette will put forth an unequivocal apology where he says he realises he was wrong and should not have said what he said, and that he is "man enough" to own up to his mistakes (if he wants he can go on a rant here about how Russo never does) and that he will not do this again? 

Sadly, yes, probably.

8 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I am just guessing here, but I think they went into these tapings with a predetermined plan for Murdoch mapped out for all the tapings and didn't know what they had with him.

Maybe. And meanwhile, I am baffled by the time they devote to Aron Stevens and now the fucking ?Mark. 

1 hour ago, MoS said:

Is it too much to hope that Cornette will put forth an unequivocal apology where he says he realises he was wrong and should not have said what he said, and that he is "man enough" to own up to his mistakes (if he wants he can go on a rant here about how Russo never does) and that he will not do this again? What's the point of obstinately fighting and holding your ground when you said something stupid and problematic and there isn't a whole lot more to say about it?

No, I think he will double down. I think at this point he's shown a pattern of attention seeking behavior. I think this was just a dumb comment he made but I think his whole Cult of Cornette shit falls apart if he actually shows accountability for something he said. 

Honestly in his mind he probably thinks getting fired would make his podcasts bigger. 

Well, either they fired him or he quit (odds of either are 50/50 to me, since he made it pretty clear last month after the whole "suicide" controversy that he'd be okay with not doing the December tapings if that kind of situation arose again, which it has) but the bottom line is now he's gone.  They're announcing it as a "resignation" and we won't have long to wait to hear his side of the story, as he's going to be addressing it on his podcast on Friday.  The NWA apologized again when they made the announcement, for those who weren't satisfied with the apology from last night.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

No, I think he will double down. I think at this point he's shown a pattern of attention seeking behavior. I think this was just a dumb comment he made but I think his whole Cult of Cornette shit falls apart if he actually shows accountability for something he said. 

Honestly in his mind he probably thinks getting fired would make his podcasts bigger. 

I believe you are 100% correct sir. When he announced he'd be addressing the situation on Friday he certainly sounded neither conciliatory or even remotely apologetic. Sad thing is, I bet his podcast on Friday sets new records for listeners.  Many of those will be his fans listening to get his side of the story, many others will be his detractors ready to transcribe any fresh outrage and spread it across Twitter the moment he says it.

What's amusing to me is the reaction to his "resignation" online.  It seems split into three groups, NWA fans who were threatening to boycott the NWA and are now mollified, Cornette fans who are now outraged and are claiming they'll be boycotting the NWA now for losing Cornette, and special third group who are claiming that this is a good step but it's not enough and they are demanding whoever in the NWA that allowed the comment to get through editing and air be named and fired as well.

I am hoping that this Friday Cornette saves his vitriol for the people who complained about him and "misinterpreted" his "joke" but that he doesn't rip into the NWA. I am hoping he discourages his idiot fans from boycotting the NWA or going after Lagana and Corgan.

I wonder who they're going to get to replace him?  I am hoping there might be a decent retired or inactive Pro Wrestler out there who actually has some experience in the industry (preferably a heel) who can be moved into the Color Commentary position.  I just hope and pray they don't get somebody who sucks.  Joe Galli the play-by-play guy is okay, but they could really use somebody with experience in there with him.  You know who would be outstanding?  Dutch Mantell. He's an outstanding heel color guy.

10 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

and special third group who are claiming that this is a good step but it's not enough and they are demanding whoever in the NWA that allowed the comment to get through editing and air be named and fired as well.

It's a very reasonable request/demand, though, in my opinion. 

I can't help but making the analogy about Jim Cornette with Don Cherry here in Canada. Don Cherry got fired by Sportsnet last week for comments that were deemed offensive by the network during his Coach's Corner segment. And from what I gathered on his podcast, Cherry said that what the network demanded in terms of requirement for him to keep his job wasn't sitting well for him. I feel like Cherry did this on purpose to find a way out of this and do whatever he wanted going forward. I don't see Cornette being that different from Cherry in the sense that he rarely apologizes for anything, if ever, and I wouldn't even be shocked to learn that Cornette knew what he was doing and was expecting to resign/get fired. All Cornette truly needs is his Cult of followers that will defend through hell and high water for him to be happy.

5 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

And I was so into this show. 

Same. I was also really looking forward to the PPV. Now I don't know if I'll feel guilty when watching it going forward or not. What a shit situation. Even removing Cornette, now there's the whole production/Lagana talking point in the back of my mind. I really enjoy some of the talent they're using, like Nick Aldis & Kamille.  

12 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

All Cornette truly needs is his Cult of followers that will defend through hell and high water for him to be happy.

It's all he needs to earn an income, sure, but he's clearly not someone who is enjoying their existence on this planet. As time goes on and he ostricizes himself from the mainstream audience and is excluded from all the legends gatherings year after year, it's gonna eat away at him. I really wish he would do the opposite of someone like Trump here and actually get some help and figure out how to exist comfortably in society without causing all this noise rather than isolating himself completely. 

34 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

As time goes on and he ostricizes himself from the mainstream audience and is excluded from all the legends gatherings year after year, it's gonna eat away at him.

That's the saddest part to me. Corny would be revered and loved by a crowd a pro-wrestling fans at legends gathering like Starrcast, where the old and the new generation get together. Instead, Corny is isolating himself, only speaking to a cult of sycophants and will now play victim of "political correctness" to boot...