Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/28 - 11/03 - 1 Year went by so fast!

KawadaSmile

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of people call Vince McMahon a genius promoter and businessman, and for a long time I was one of those people. Even his biggest detractors in Pro Wrestling would begrudgingly give him credit for his promotional skills.  (We won't mention Snake River Canyon, Sugar Ray/Donny Lalonde, the WBF, Ico-Pro and the XFL.) But to me, one of the things that made him a "genius" (if he really was one) was his ability to accurately assess his marketplace and provide a product that catered to the particular trend. (When he stuck to wrestling.) The 80's were all about Ronald Reagan and America #1, and Vince gave the fans Hulk Hogan waving the flag, and Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik on NBC.  When the anti-hero became cool, he gave the fans "Attitude" and Stone Cold flipping everybody off.  (In that case he was late to the party and had to catch up, but full credit to him for seeing the need to change and then doing it.)

Now he seems to have become just a stubborn old man who either can't see what fans want (even when they make it blatantly obvious) or he just doesn't care.  I loathe his "You don't tell me what you want, I tell you what you want" attitude. Even worse he has built up a corporate structure around himself with "creative" script writers who seem incapable of presenting a product that is in any way compelling. Even if he did die, I'm not sure that the system he has built since taking WWE public is capable of making changes.  You'd almost have to tear the whole thing down and start from scratch, and I would doubt Stephanie, Shane (if he is back involved in the business end) or Triple H are willing or able to do that.  That's what depresses me the most on current day WWE.  Not only is it terrible, but it seems to be  destined to stay that way.

Maybe FOX didn't want a more sports-based product and that was all just gossip?

Whether FOX wanted more a realistic, sports-like production or not, though, its still undeniable that Brock Lesnar is a bigger star than Bray Wyatt and, if you're FOX, you'd want as many big stars as you could get. (Same as USA)

And even though it is kinda silly to even have to say what we all know, if this was the longterm booking, the WWE really has no fucking clue what they're doing anymore. 

Seems like they've conned them multiple times on the rosters. The fact they had Ronda was supposedly a big part of the negotiations. Everyone and their dog knew that Brock was always slated to be a big part of the show and now he's switched. Charlotte was all over Fox promotional placements and she's on Raw. Becky got the big rub with The Rock on week one and she's on Raw too. All Fox has is a pretty cold Roman Reigns vs King fucking Corbin. 

But I don't think it's really a con, because there's no gain for WWE in pissing off Fox. It's just that they're in complete organisational disarray.