Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite: March 18, 2020 - "I refuse to live in fear!"

C.S.

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Having even a handful of folks in the seats reacting is at least a little less weird than a completely empty crowd.

Too bad they're even worse than the Raw commentators at practicing responsible social distancing.

Tony looked like he was ready to shed his skin when Orange Cassidy put his arm around him.

That was a legitimately great wrestling show, despite the dire circumstances surrounding everything.

Lancer Archer is there & paired with Jake the Snake. They debut Brodie Lee. They debut Matt Hardy. Most of the wrestling was good. The wrestlers in the crowd were having fun. The commentators were having fun. It was just a fun night overall & played a great distraction for a couple of hours.

I really love that AEW is embracing the role of the manager, too. You got Tully, you got Arn, you got Jake... even Wardlow as like a bodyguard. It feels different because WWE has stepped away from it for so long. Which is crazy because when WWF first blew up with cable TV, they had managers everywhere! Heenan, Slick, Fuji, Jimmy Hart, Albano, etc.

Brandi did a good job filling in on announcing for Justin Roberts. Dare I say I liked her more. Feels like Roberts is trying to get himself over too much. 

It is a shame we didn't get live audience reactions from the new debuts but the fact we got them at all is pretty nutty. 

I loved the Matt Hardy reveal. They were careful to keep saying "next Dynamite" so I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off tapings until the pandemic is over. But they gave themselves an out I guess when Jericho just "banned" AEW fans which I thought was pretty clever. 

31 minutes ago, Coffey said:

It is a shame we didn't get live audience reactions from the new debuts but the fact we got them at all is pretty nutty. 

Yeah, it would have been very interesting to hear the crowd reaction for the Brody Lee reveal. 

"You are not the first out of touch old man to not believe in me" cracked me right up.

He's not entirely wrong, but coming from a WWE employee (okay, "FOX employee"), he's absolutely the wrong guy to deliver the message.

Of course, he conveniently ignores that WWE's empty arena Raw and Smackdown shows have had plenty of social distancing gaffes of their own.

Really hope they're privately testing everyone at every show, every single time they put together a show, or none of this should be happening at all. The close proximity of workers, staff etc is absurd. 

This was a decent show but I'm really struggling to see the sense in carrying on at the moment. Maybe this is self-isolation talking, who knows. 

Its difficult for AEW i guess, but with WWE's back catalogue i think they should really be thinking of producing a very different sort of show at the moment. 

Sorry to derail, im going off on a tangent here.

These shows are a nice little change, especially when modern wrestling production can be ridiculously overwhelming at times but yeah, the big reveals tonight would have been amazing moments with a live crowd. I'm not sure these shows can continue in perpetuity since they'll lose more and more novelty over time.

Also, props to, I believe Spears, for shouting "I got $200 on you, Tarzan. Do something!" during the Jungle Boy match. That popped me. In fact, that whole match was good fun. Butcher and Blade are a quietly solid tag team.

8 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Really hope they're privately testing everyone at every show, every single time they put together a show, or none of this should be happening at all.

They're not. Guaranteed. It's hard as hell to even get a test in most places right now. Unless you're an NBA team. 

43 minutes ago, Coffey said:

They're not. Guaranteed. It's hard as hell to even get a test in most places right now. Unless you're an NBA team. 

AEW is probably not testing, but Shad Khan is an NFL team owner, no? That would presumably give them a leg-up if they ever want to get serious about this.

But it's pro rasslin', so I suspect neither major company is doing all they can and should be doing.

Actually, it's more than a suspicion - their TV shows confirm it. 

Both AEW and WWE are owned by billionaires with connections, I would suspect it wouldn't be much effort for them to get tests if they really wanted to. 

But as stated, rasslin' is rasslin', so if you assume the worst you're probably not going to be disappointed most times. 

Yes.  I've heard $1500 for a test floated around. 

Trust me, with Khan and McMahon's $ and connections, if they want tests they can get them.

That said, given that it's so F'n hard for normal people to get tests, for sick people showing potential symptoms to get tested.....this is just another reason why I don't want either promotion doing these shows

Also, we're now seeing a big backlash against NBA players and other rich people moving to the front of the line for testing, with Trump even weighing in saying "well, that's the way the world works" showing his wonderful capacity for compassion yet again. 

I understand it with the NBA players because considering what a small community it is, of men who literally sweat on each other for a living, that it could have spread like wildfire amongst them.  And even though they're all young and healthy and might not even show symptoms, they could be so called "super spreaders"  Once Gobert and Mitchell showed up positive every team should have been testing everyone immediately.  The rumour is that after Steph Curry came back for one game and then missed the next "with the flu" he actually went and got tested for Covid-19.  They've been tightlipped about it, but Kerr basically confirmed it

Sorry, back to pro wrestling only :)

Edited by cm funk
added another sentence