Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

NXT I thought had already jumped the shark well before autumn 2019 but they got exposed so badly going against Dynamite. The dirty little secret of NXT is that it was never a really exciting weekly TV product but especially after Dusty it was a supercard promotion. To me, it has three distinct eras:

Dusty Era (main storyline was Sami Zayn’s rise and beginning the women’s pushes)

Supercard Era (the peak of which was the signing of Shinsuke Nakamura in 2016)

Shawn Era (Gargano and Ciampa and Cole descend into overdramatic self-parody)

Within all three of those, it’s difficult to really see what the distinctive HHH fingerprints are. The show is basically yellow Raw, with a better working standard but the same tropes and bullshit.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HHH has definitely been exposed by no longer having Dusty around (although his addiction to ladder matches is reminiscent of Dusty's addiction to cage matches). Part of it, of course, is ego. Look at the build to Cole/McAfee. It would have been more effective if McAfee had laid HHH out with a cheap shot and Cole wanted to avenge his mentor, but of course it was Cole who got laid out while HHH got to go on ESPN and issue a challenge on his son's behalf. Also remember that wrestlers who become promoters tend to be best at promoting guys similar to themselves, and there really aren't any HHH types in NXT. The closest they have is probably Karrion Kross, which likely explains why he's getting the rocket push. HHH won't deterred if Kross isn't over to the level of his push because he was in the same boat. I suspect his punishment for the MSG curtain call has taken an outsized role in his official narrative because it draws attention away from the fact that he failed to get over with push after push until Chyna and DX came along.

Honestly, even if he has a script, does anyone expect Ric Flair to stick to it? I would genuinely just use him for one or two appearances for a big title match, where his aura as the GOAT world champ will add to the build and the importance

I think it really can't be understated how much prestige HHH probably lost in Vince's eyes when NXT not only failed to stop AEW but got trounced by them.  I can't imagine anything that would sour Vince on someone faster than a failure like that. 

The death of Dusty was definitely the start of a NXT losing its way. It was more than just booking. It was the promos and character work and Dusty's general presence had such a massive impact on the talent that has not been replicated by anyone they've brought in since. There was definitely a very clear change from mostly developing talent to bringing in and focusing on established outside talent that was starting to become a more regular thing in the 6 months or so before Dusty died, but accelerated almost immediately upon his passing. 

It's not just the loss of Dusty, but also becoming big enough that they couldn't just kind of be off in the corner doing their own stuff that people might or might not see. To me, NXT really starts to get cold around the 3rd Takeover in a row headlined by Ciampa vs Gargano, which was concurrently happening with the start of Shayna's death reign that just sucked the air out of every event when she'd cleanly choke out whoever was super popular and hot for the next year and a half. Then you get to the USA era, which has the double whammy of keeping people who should have moved on long ago on the show (Gargano, Ciampa, all of TUE guys) and also moving to two hours. THEN the pandemic on top of all of that.

The aesthetic also fucking sucks. That shitty fight club bullshit mixed with terrible metal and HHH's love of skulls. 

Well part of the issue with keeping people who should have moved on is a lot of them don't want to go to the main roster and get geeked out like everyone else who ends up there. I know Ciampa straight up said he'd retire before going up but that was more due to his neck issues rather than booking. 

Also in spite of everything, NXT is still better than Raw and anything not involving Roman on Smackdown most weeks. It just has a very late stage JCP "same guys over and over" feel to it, plus a real sense of not always being able to feel when it was time to put someone over who was getting popular.

Raw is pure death, SD mostly sucks, too from what I've seen. NXT being better than those shows when the main narrative about NXT for almost it's entire existence is "it's better than the main roster shows" isn't particularly impressive these days. There's just no energy from the crowd or the talent even if there are still good matches. AEW even during the no fans period still had more energy and life most of the time, and now that they're back to full crowds it is a complete blow out. NXT has and has had for quite some time that same stale death and lack of enthusiasm feeling from the talent that Raw/SD has had for ages. 

Yeah I noticed that the fans at NXT look like the crowds WCW had at the Disney tapings that would just be roped in from the park crowd and had no idea what was going on. The return to full crowds has been such a boost for AEW, everyone there looks like they are having the time of their lives while NXT crowds often look like  they are waiting for the "cheer/boo" light to come on to know how to react. 

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Stupid but also way richer!!!1!!

Wonder if Triple H and Nick Khan will throw hands 

Richer until they decide to cut him too. It should be clear by now that WWE contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on, bubba. I suppose he could negotiate for a no-cut contract, but even then Vince could come up with a trumped-up reason to terminate the deal like he did with Oliver Luck.

3 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Richer until they decide to cut him too. It should be clear by now that WWE contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on, bubba. I suppose he could negotiate for a no-cut contract, but even then Vince could come up with a trumped-up reason to terminate the deal like he did with Oliver Luck.

Oh, absolutely, bubba. I was even joking on the blue bird app that the reason the other wrestlers got cut was to afford Cole's new contract. But of course, when it comes to money and contracts no one in that company is outworking Vince & his pals.

Just now, Boss Rock said:

There's only like 6 people I could envision them never cutting. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Balor was gone after tonight.

Other than Charlotte, Roman, Drew and maybe Lashley, don't think anyone is safe. Becky, if and when she returns, too.

3 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

I used to at least kinda understand the "make money" mentality of signing with WWE. But now I can't see any reason why anyone would want to sign with WWE.

Most of the people cut this year have been NXT/205 people that weren't making money to begin with. NXT contracts seem insultingly low. I can't believe UK hasn't been completely shuttered and gutted, just keeping the Walter/Bate tier guys and cutting everyone else.

1 minute ago, strobogo said:

Most of the people cut this year have been NXT/205 people that weren't making money to begin with. NXT contracts seem insultingly low. I can't believe UK hasn't been completely shuttered and gutted, just keeping the Walter/Bate tier guys and cutting everyone else.

I understand that, but if folks sign with NXT there's the possibility of MR money. And now we've seen top MR acts get cut.