The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Waaaah they're moving me to what may be the new A-show and didn't tell me, even though they didn't tell anyone else if they were being drafted either.

J.R.’s post draft thoughts…..

Filed under: Personal, Wrestling — on June 24, 2008

As many of you know, I was “drafted” to Smackdown Monday night in the “random lottery”. Obviously that means I will be leaving Monday Night Raw and my long time partner Jerry Lawler.

I am not happy about this surprise development.

I also contemplated calling it a career Monday night and not going to Houston to tape SD.

After speaking with my wife and thinking on this matter until 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, I have decided to do the right thing for the fans who care and the talent who care and begin my new assignment.

It has been explained to me that the WWE’s Smackdown tenure on My Network is a high priority within the corporation. Allegedly, my presence is needed in that effort.

Many are speculating about when I learned of this development…the same time those of you were watching at home. I should have detected something with the demeanor of certain individuals either thru their plastic, poker faces or the perceived smirk that I thought I might have seen on some of their faces during the day.

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that’s not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

I will miss working with the King as the wrestling biz is one in which a guy can count his legit friends on one hand…even after a 30 plus year career. King has been like a brother to me….albeit an “older brother”. We will remain friends no matter that our team has been corporately imploded.

I believe that I have been strongly loyal to the WWE no matter the hands that were dealt to me over the years. In my tenure there I have earned a good living of which I am thankful. I will fulfill my commitments that I have made because unlike many in the business, my word is still my bond.

I can’t predict how long my Smackdown tenure will be, but I can promise that no matter how long or short it is that I will do my utmost best while sitting at ringside. I am not the kind of man who will “phone in” a damn thing.

My sincere thanks to all of you who have supported me on RAW over the years. I hope I was able to provide you a memory or two. Hopefully, we can create new memories now on Smackdown.

Based on my professional experiences, I look at each broadcast as potentially my last, which helps keep me motivated. So with that said we begin another chapter in my crazy life in the unpredictable world of ‘rasslin.

I still plan on attending RAW in my home market of OKC next Monday and I hear that tickets are still available. Any one have any extras?

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

I can't blame him for this one. Well, that's mostly because I can't blame anyone who gets drafted for being pissed about it. Especially with the WWE's bizarre insistence on not letting them know about it ahead of time. These guys all have their lives planned out around their jobs to an abnormal degree already, and that job just randomly changes it on them, with no warning, for no good reason? It's an incredibly childish way to run a company.

He's updated with a much more positive piece:

Changes in one's life take some adjusting to especially at my stage of the game. This week I received an unexpected change in my professional address. Within hours of writing an emotional blog, I am positively moving on. I am going to do all I can to make Smackdown the best program the WWE produces. Working side by side with Mick Foley should be fun. It will be entertaining I assure you. Mick is a great friend and a man I greatly respect. The Smackdown roster is loaded with exceptional talent and the WWE wants the brand to grow and I intend to do all that I can in my role to facilitate that growth.

The abruptness of the "trade" shocked me. I most likely responded in a non professional way in the eyes of some fans. That's their prerogative and each has the right to their opinion, As do I. Not to be cliche, but wrestling has been great to my family and me. I owe it to the business to "man up" and to kick ass on Smackdown. That's my plan. My emotions are what they are and I will not apologize for my candor or honesty. My feathers were ruffled: poor me. I still bring bona fide passion to every broadcast and fully expect to deliver come show time. As I write this I am in the midst of some travel delays, but I will definitely be in Houston and will be looking forward to "business picking up". I will practice what I have preached and feel that after sleeping on this major change all things happen for a reason. Life is good. My tank has been re-fueled. Let's have some fun. For those of you that were offended by my earlier rant I apologize. For those that think "old J.R." can't get the job done, I suggest you sit back and watch. I wish my good pal The King and Michael Cole great success but my professional priority is to help Smackdown kick ass. In more ways than one, "the game is on".

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

I'm not in agreement with the phrasing in Bix's original post. Granted, after the fact he could have rationalised that the "B show" now has Triple H, Undertaker, the guaranteed-to-pop-a-crowd Jeff Hardy, the ever-reliable Umaga, and the entertaining heel champ Edge, such that it could possibly lay claim to being the A show, but how would you expect him to sit down and think it over like that in the immediate aftermath?

He wasn't told, yet he's been behind the machinations in that place since 93. He's a little different kettle of fish to Kennedy or the Hardys, and I think has a right to feel slighted that he was removed from the position he's anchored live on air, especially as Vince is hardly shy at fucking with him. He's associated with that show far more than any person on its roster is.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, but I don't begrudge the guy his disappointment and unhappiness at the way a perceived demotion was handled.

Everone else (other than HHH) had to hold off scheduling their lives until after the show, and JR was was one of the few people whose drafting was actually hinted at strongly on TV, so he actually had more warning then most of the roster.

It's a lousy way to treat your staff but Ross was treated better than the rest of them this time.

Plus, when they made it clear ahead of time that the announcers were included in the draft, that was a clear message that 2 of the play by play guys or colour commentators were going to swap places, so Ross should have at least expected it as a strong possibility.

I was listening to Wrestling Observer Live and Meltzer brought up something I didn't think of. RAW is live so J.R. can go home after the show. Since Smackdown is a taped show, the announcers have to fly to New York the next day for editing/fixes and stuff. Michael Cole lives in New York so it's not as bad for him to go home right after the editing is done, but Sooner J.R. probably has to spend an extra day in the air.

The problem most people have with JR's move is twofold.

1. He and Lawler have done Raw for so long that it doesn't feel like Raw without them together.

2. Ross said for two weeks he didn't want to move because he loves working on Raw, plus the schedule change interferes with him running his restaurant.

It's hard to work for someone when you address a concern and your boss listens to it and does the exact opposite.

Guest DaDirtiest

You're right sek69, JR is an incredibly talented two face. Karma's a bitch!! Your HNIC reference was hilarious. He should just sit at home and do commentary as he had no problem admitting he was too old and fucked up looking to be featured on screen with the new younger demographic they're looking for. Shit that is just awesome.

Oh, and this is a work, as JR is Vince's reach around boy, so JR's probably getting a lil bounce up in pay for his troubles, and the whole idea is to now intensify the importance of Smackdown now on their new Network. JR is the flagship voice, so people (hopefully) will want to listen to him call shit with Foley (who is just amazing on commentary and also holds a lot of older era fans respect for his work earlier) This isn't a demotion for JR. This is JR, HHH and other key players taking a huge risk to do their best to build up their viewership on their new network because from what I understand it isn't easily available everywhere.

What is hilarious is that went from a drunken rant into a well assembled explanation of what happened on Monday's draft. This new Network is a big risk, and Vince is putting the people he is most confident in on the job while taking other great talents and keeping Raw interesting at the same time. I just hope Vince's paralysis leads to as much manipulation and temper tantrums as possible because he is just great when he lets himself go. Can't wait to see who will be his lackey to push him around in his wheelchair and whatnot. That guy is gonna eat some serious verbal abuse. Did you see the Chocolate Wedding Planner? aka Krystal Marshall's replacement? I just won't believe it when Vickie is face. But they love Edge, they give him the chocolate love angle anyways, I want to see if Teddy Long is gonna get involved!!! Shit is great!

It's weird that I even discuss this because I live in Canada and the Score shows Raw and Smackdown 2 times per night. I only have to download ECW. But Americans that will have to change their channel setups or maybe even service providers will really have to be impressed to spend another 6.95 a month on a 5 channel package that they only want to see one channel for 2 hours on a a Friday, y'all feel me?

7:40am drunken rant with a purpose..........priceless

• 2 weeks later...

This quote by JR isn't particularly grouchy or hateful or vile, but I find it hilarious coming from a long standing WWE employee:

For the UFC to be accepted more universally, language used by Griffin needs to be addressed as it doesn’t’ send out a classy message to a mass audience even though young males may think it was cool. I mean to take nothing away from Forrest Griffin who is one tough son of a gun and is a guy that I will pay to watch fight again but coarse language won’t attract big time sponsors or enhance the building of a brand that is one of the most exciting new sports in the world.

Maybe instead of using the F word Forrest should be insinuating that Quinton Jackson is gay or spray painting the word poopy on his limo, because that would be so much more high brow and sophisticated? Next he'll be complaining about Nick Diaz flipping the bird at KJ Noons! :lol:

This quote by JR isn't particularly grouchy or hateful or vile, but I find it hilarious coming from a long standing WWE employee:

For the UFC to be accepted more universally, language used by Griffin needs to be addressed as it doesn’t’ send out a classy message to a mass audience even though young males may think it was cool. I mean to take nothing away from Forrest Griffin who is one tough son of a gun and is a guy that I will pay to watch fight again but coarse language won’t attract big time sponsors or enhance the building of a brand that is one of the most exciting new sports in the world.

Maybe instead of using the F word Forrest should be insinuating that Quinton Jackson is gay or spray painting the word poopy on his limo, because that would be so much more high brow and sophisticated? Next he'll be complaining about Nick Diaz flipping the bird at KJ Noons! :lol:

To be fair, I believe Ross has spoken out against bad language in the WWF before even during the 98 attitude era. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like it no matter where it comes from.

It's funny to hear someone from WWE giving UFC tips on how to build their brand when they've been forced to go more kid-oriented since UFC has pretty much taken all their fanbase over age 21 or so.

Guest Lone Rogue

It's funny to hear someone from WWE giving UFC tips on how to build their brand when they've been forced to go more kid-oriented since UFC has pretty much taken all their fanbase over age 21 or so.

Well, with exception to the people who still boo Cena every night.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest from the "JR is running out of things to be grouchy and vile about" department:

Internet Message Boards often times suck. I stopped reading them largely because I felt embarrassed that some people who call themselves real wrestling fans often times use excessive profanity, take the low road, hide behind phony names to make smart ass remarks and nothing any one can write is ever good enough. Like I have said, if people don't enjoy reading our blogs, then don't read them. How simple is that? Nonetheless, a message board person has stooped to a new low. A Nebraska football fan who works at the University of Texas IT Department in Austin by the name of James Conradt wrote a phony story stating that two Oklahoma quarterbacks were arrested for heading a cocaine ring. First of all I have been taught all my life that Nebraska football are class acts and this idiot's actions don't change my opinion of the 'Huskers. Nebraska is a first class program with wonderful fans but Conradt isn't one of them. Then, ironically, we find out this dude works at rival University of Texas which I look at as more of a coincidence than anything. UT would not condone this sort of behavior as they, too, run a first class operation even though they are my favorite team's arch college football rival. Point being is that perhaps people should be a little smarter with what they anonymously write in their never ending search to find coolness and defiance. That or we all should stop supporting message boards in general.

Uh, yeah. A guy who's spent over 20 years in the wrestling business hates the internet because there's bad language, people use fake names, and sometimes spread bullshit to get themselves over. Is JR working a neo-Andy Kaufman gimmick where he's being so blatantly grouchy that people don't realize the onion-like layers of irony?

Also this:

I read a lot about "spoilers" for future events based on live event bookings. This is one of the biggest misnomers in the biz as the folks that come up with the live event cards 99% of the time have no clue as to the creative direction, say, 2-3 months out. This isn't just theory as have I not only "been there" but I still consult on matters such as this upon occasion. This isn't a big deal one way or another but it seems that some folks put more stock in "spoilers" than the info might merit.

Which is JR basically saying "don't assume future events spoil anything 'cause no one knows what the fuck's happening further than next week". Of course, that's true, but a WWE employee saying so in public is pretty LOL.

The latest from the "JR is running out of things to be grouchy and vile about" department:

Internet Message Boards often times suck. I stopped reading them largely because I felt embarrassed that some people who call themselves real wrestling fans often times use excessive profanity, take the low road, hide behind phony names to make smart ass remarks and nothing any one can write is ever good enough. Like I have said, if people don't enjoy reading our blogs, then don't read them. How simple is that? Nonetheless, a message board person has stooped to a new low. A Nebraska football fan who works at the University of Texas IT Department in Austin by the name of James Conradt wrote a phony story stating that two Oklahoma quarterbacks were arrested for heading a cocaine ring. First of all I have been taught all my life that Nebraska football are class acts and this idiot's actions don't change my opinion of the 'Huskers. Nebraska is a first class program with wonderful fans but Conradt isn't one of them. Then, ironically, we find out this dude works at rival University of Texas which I look at as more of a coincidence than anything. UT would not condone this sort of behavior as they, too, run a first class operation even though they are my favorite team's arch college football rival. Point being is that perhaps people should be a little smarter with what they anonymously write in their never ending search to find coolness and defiance. That or we all should stop supporting message boards in general.

Uh, yeah. A guy who's spent over 20 years in the wrestling business hates the internet because there's bad language, people use fake names, and sometimes spread bullshit to get themselves over. Is JR working a neo-Andy Kaufman gimmick where he's being so blatantly grouchy that people don't realize the onion-like layers of irony?

JR can't be mad about some idiot screwing with a couple of innocent kids because he's overly obsessed with college football? Can JR not speak out against murder because of the Benoit deal? Should he keep mum on child molesters due to the early 90's accusations against WWE? You guys are reaching.

The football thing I could give you, but the gist of his rant was yet another "blarg, internet is TEH EVILZ" routine like we've seen millions of times from people in the wrestling business who seem to be the most mad about the internet making it a little harder to con people.

I'm not saying the internet isn't full of jackholes, cause Lord knows we all are aware of that fact, but because of the internet a wrestling company can't just come out and say some bullshit without having it called on by someone on a message board. It really seems to piss off the old carnies that they have to put a little more effort into working the marks due to that goshdarn interweb thingy.

Also, based on his reaction to the Benoit deal, it probably would be a good idea if he didn't talk about murders.