Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

Semi off topic, but I love how JR is the only guy who tries to keep kayfabe on those Legends roundtable shows. A good drinking game would be to take a shot every time he uses the term "antagonist" instead of heel or even just bad guy.

I never got the feeling he uses those terms as a way to keep kayfabe. If that was the case he'd probably use the old PWI standard "Fan Favorites" and "Rulebreakers". :) Protagonist and Antagonist are often used in film and TV and it's just a fancy way of saying good guy and bad guy. Maybe he's adhering to the "entertainer" edict.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Beyond The Mat, there's the scene where he basically tells Tony Jones to get on the gas.

Not trying to dig up the argument again or anything, but I came across an episode of WOL with Tony as a guest on it, and this was actually brought up. Tony's take on it was that he'd been talked to by other wrestlers and promoters before and told to get on the gas (while not being blatantly to get on the gas), and that he didn't get that vibe from JR at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is hilarious:

There seems to be lots of talk about the verbal spat between Chris Jericho and actor Mickey Rourke that occurred recently on the “Larry King” on CNN. I watched this “debate,” interaction, whatever, from my hotel room, you know the one with the natty shag carpet, on Tuesday night. Rourke may have inferred that he was going to WrestleMania while walking the red carpet at the Screen Actors Guild Awards Show last Sunday, but Rourke admittedly stuck his foot in his mouth.

For the record, many of us do that on a regular basis but Rourke really doesn’t have any business getting in a high-level, memory making match at the biggest event of the year, WrestleMania XXV. I loved Rourke’s role as Randy “The Ram” Robinson in “The Wrestler” and even saw the film twice. However, the brash Jericho accurately pointed out that playing a wrestler on film with the ability to have multiple takes for a scene, etc is a far cry from actually getting in the ring live without a net or the ability to do a re-take against a man who is proud, egocentric and not willing to compromise his skill level or legacy to a Golden Globe winner or not.

Rourke is not a spring chicken and reminds me a great deal of my friend Ric Flair, specifically, as he reportedly loves the night life and he should stick with those aspects of his life that he is truly blessed, acting and partying, and not step in the ring with Chris Jericho. If that were to happen it would make the ending of “The Wrestler” feel warm and fuzzy which it isn’t.

Don‘t do it Mickey. Do come to Houston; enjoy a great presentation at the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania, have fun, but stay out of the ring. Or do what in the hell you want.

I know he's just shilling the storyline, but if you're trying to con people into believing a worked shoot storyline, at least try and make it a bit more believable.

So does everyone think the talk of Rourke pulling out is just a work? This is getting confusing.

I do think they definitely have the right person in this role. Jericho would probably be able to do more with him than anyone else and the promos should be good.

If they do a bare knuckles match or something like that, though, I'm not sure what to think. Jericho is really good, but his punches are sometimes a little off.

Well, this is the same company that once built an entire show (RAW X) around returning stars and nostalgia and never bothered to contact anyone to ask them to appear. It's unlikely, but it's certainly possible.

Jericho's involvement (likely in the creative part of this angle) leads me to believe this is a work. Especially since in the past Jericho had a WWE.com announcement about his contract extension altered so it wouldn't affect the crowd reaction in his last run with John Cena. The idea of saying he's not going to be there when he is sounds like something Jericho (and WWE, for that matter) would come up with. If he does a promo this coming Monday, we know this is still on.

The real question to ask is whether or not Hollywood folks and the media who cover this are going to fall for it being a work.

I fully expect somebody in Hollywood to leak details about Rourke still being involved in Wrestlemania and thus the talk about his Oscar chances getting hurt coming up again.

It's Hollywood... gossip travels quicker there than it does in pro wrestling.

You may be right Bob, but the media when covering wrestling can be really dumb, lazy and gullible. Last year, the whole media fell hook, line and sinker for the whopper that Floyd Mayweather was being paid $20 million to wrestle at Mania.

Too bad a few idiots who provide feedback on some wrestling websites simply don't get it. I mentioned that Mike Knox reminded me of a young, 1974 version of Bruiser Brody known then as Frank Goodish. I actually "knew" Frank and did not simply get to know the character by seeing his persona on old Japanese wrestling tapes. Knox is a smart guy, like Frank, has a big rangy frame, just as Frank did in the mid 70's, and pays attention, just as Goodish always did. Will Knox ever be as good as Bruiser Brody? We, as fans, can only hope so. So, no having a beard and being a large, Caucasian male isn't the only similarities I see between Mike Knox and Frank Goodish aka Bruiser Brody. And these little geeks call me a dumbass.

This is a pretty Grouchy Hateful Vile human Being rant from his recent blog

How do you figure?

I guess when the man defends himself, obviously annoyed, he's a hateful person. I guess we all are hateful people then...

Regarding Jericho, he did another promo on Raw about Rourke and Flair, which suggests that the match is still on, unless Flair is going to be the one wrestling, though I think the former is much more likely.

Regarding J.R., words like "idiots" and "little geeks" is pretty hateful. I remember the days when he said that a young Bradshaw reminded him of Stan Hansen. Was that because he actually "knew" Stan so well or because Bradshaw was shamelessly ripping off Stan's act? Is it hateful to point out that in J.R.'s capacity as a WWE employee it is most likely the latter?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems as if I may be on A-Rod overload. Here's what I think about this matter....steroids have no place in sports or in entertainment....A-Rod is smart enough to know what he was injecting into his body....the term performance enhancing appears to be a synonym for the term ego enhancing....there, unfortunately, seems to be no fool proof drug tests currently available in America including the United States Olympic Committee's (see Marion Jones, etc.)....testing by all entities that do test should continue....Congress should truly study this matter before they start any further investigations so that they actually know of what they are speaking.....and we would all likely be shocked at the amount of steroids being used in high school and college sports in America.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not so much "grouchy, hateful" but more "do you expect people to believe this shit?" from JR's blog memorializing the late Mr. Martin:

Test, a name provided Martin after he portrayed a security person who tested the band Motley Crue's mic with the obligatory, 'test...test...test," always seemed to be a bright young man who knew what he wanted in life and was seemingly looking forward to his future and getting an education in physical therapy.

Riiiiiiiight. I guess that was thrown in there because Meltzer mentioned in his story that he was given that name because it was short for testosterone.

Not so much "grouchy, hateful" but more "do you expect people to believe this shit?" from JR's blog memorializing the late Mr. Martin:

Test, a name provided Martin after he portrayed a security person who tested the band Motley Crue's mic with the obligatory, 'test...test...test," always seemed to be a bright young man who knew what he wanted in life and was seemingly looking forward to his future and getting an education in physical therapy.

Riiiiiiiight. I guess that was thrown in there because Meltzer mentioned in his story that he was given that name because it was short for testosterone.

Not to mention that it contradicts the explanation for the name they already established way back when he first showed up (he was Motley Crue's bodyguard, so in order to get to them, you had to "pass the Test"). Not that I expect the vast majority of people to remember that or anything, just that it's sloppy work. Since when does "personal security" do sound checks, anyway?

Ross should just go the route of other media and pre-prepare death writings for former stars. It would allow for a better, more fact-based portrait of their lives.

Of course that would mean that they actually gave a rat's rear when these guys die, and I have my doubts that the majority of these sorts of writings are done at any sort of personal level. The thought process in JR preparing this is probably more along the lines of "Shit, so-and-so died, now I have to delay my blog on kfc's new partnership with Wrestlemania XV for another week. Dammit!"

• 3 months later...

Jim Ross has been taking a lot of shots at CM Punk lately in his blog, about how the perception is that he has an attitude problem, and also that he's not the most popular guy in the locker room. This has only started since the PPV, and I can't figure out if Jim Ross truly dislikes Punk, or if he's just furthering Punk's current storyline.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always marveled at how Jim Ross can criticize people and situations but takes such great offense when fans or wrestling site writers make the same criticisms. Here's his latest admonishment of fans and writers regarding Piper's DUI:

I'm not condoning that anyone drink and drive but it sure seems as if some are making a federal case about Roddy Piper's recent arrest for an apparent DUI. Again, don't get me wrong, DUI's are serious business, but luckily there was no accident associated with this incident and no one was injured. I'm sure that Roddy feels as badly as one could feel about this embarrassing matter but everyone makes mistakes in life.

Ross can call out young wrestlers for listening to iPods or playing video games, making them sound like an addendum to the Seven Deadly Sins, but God forbid someone call out a wrestler for drinking and driving.

As long as Roddy Piper doesn't go to a dark place mentally and becomes bitter and twisted enough to blame his recent bout of "sickness" on the wrestling business, the old drunk is just swell in Good Ol' JR's eyes. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

From JR's latest blog:

To those Internet geeks who think that going from young and hip Seth Green to Rock 'n Roll Hall of Famers ZZ Top as this week's Raw guest hosts is too much of a stretch, please allow me to say this.....bovine manure.

ZZ Top is one of the classic rock 'n roll bands of all time and it makes no difference when they debuted as they still do great touring business and their music is played in every city in America every day. Plus, I know for a fact that Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill are legitimately, huge fans of WWE and have been following the genre of wrestling for years and years. That should count for something. ZZ Top has enjoyed J.R.'s Family BBQ in Norman on more than one occasion and we have a signed ZZ Top guitar in our store in Norman just as you enter the front door.

O.K. so I'm pals with the band and I may not be totally objective regarding this matter but some pundits just over think things and when they dump on my friends it raises my ire.

Plus, who said we "veterans" still can't contribute at a high level? I'm not buying into the Hollywood theory that youth and looks outweigh experience and talent.

I think he's pretty much spot on there. If they're going to be doing this "guest host" deal for a while, why NOT ZZ Top? They're a great band, and they have a new Rick Rubin produced CD coming out soon...which I am assuming is one of the reasons they're doing this. They're legit fans, they're at ringside a lot during Texas shows quite frequently. Net geeks who are bitching about the entire concept of celebrity guest hosts, I can see. Ones who thought Trump and Green were fine, but ZZ Top aren't...and that's who Ross is referring to here...need to relax and STFU.

Then again, maybe having that opinion makes me hateful and vile.